Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Helium

Yeah their site needs a revamp. Better ringing and they are very helpful. My order was £440 sterling delivered worked out @ €508

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

if anyone is using revolut to pay the conversion over the weekend is not as favourable so might be an idea to convert it beforehand or wait

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭wassie

Decided to take a chance and order 1 tonne of columbian coal from easyglow (50 x 25kg bags). Shout out to @OmegaGene for the headsup! Just received delivery today.

Coal €560 + Delivery €50 = €610. Used discount code FJ2023 to get a further €10 off, so €600 all up.

As others have reported, pallet arrived well packed. Opened 2 bags, 1 was dry, the second slightly wet, but will dry out easy enough after a couple of days exposed to the air. A mix of sizes with enough decent sized rocks. Haven't burnt any at this stage and wont until it gets colder. No problems ordering off the the easyglow.ie website.

Interestingly, this coal is bagged as LCC Group Black Emerald Coal (Website here).

Click on the pics below for a full size photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Ordered a tonne of ovoids from Greels. €511 delivered.

Bags are 50 * 20kg.

Delivery is Tuesday/Wednesday this week.

The chap on the phone said the website will be updated at some stage soon btw.

Very decent to deal with.

I'll report on the coal quality in the next week.

• Advertisement

Looks like decent coal @wassie

That’d be Thomas

nice guy

pleasant to deal with

and got the couriers to deliver on the morning we asked for

Yeah hope so. Always had the 40Kg bags.....never again. Those 20kgs were super easy to shift about.

Last couple of years I was using Hayes columbian and found it to be good enough and would of been fine to order it again. But like others had reported last winter I was finding their 40kg bags came with copious amounts of slack which was a right PITA especially with an open fire. No such issues so far.

Will report back when I do burn some. Forgot to mention this is for an open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Any comments on this for a large stove with back boiler heating 14 rads and water.

What's recommended to burn with timber.

Dendy €520 + €65 delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dollylama

I've burned tonnes of Surelite at this stage... no complaints, nice steady heat, low ash and consistently good quality over the years.

Much cheaper to buy from Hayes in Belfast direct and organise your own pallet collection. They do a better ovoid again.. it was called supacite.. think they call it Glovoids now. A fair bit more expensive though

Edit to add : if ordering direct from Hayes, you can choose 20kg, 25kg or 40kg bags. 20kg is much easier to lug about

• Advertisement

Thanks.

I'll take to Hayes and see what price they can give me for a tonne.

I'm sure they get a lot of calls from the south.

Any pallet delivery companies in the north you'd recommend?

I got a tonne for £346.5 a few weeks back, which worked out about €402 on revolut. A tonne was I think £460 this time last year so it's a nice drop

I just use my local transport crowd to be honest, never the cheapest but they're good.. about €90 for the pallet. All the reputable freight companies are interlinked through pallet networks anyways so you can just ask your local company in Cork or wherever to collect a pallet at Hayes in Belfast.. they'll arrange it with their Northern counterpart

All the reputable freight companies are interlinked through pallet networks anyways so you can just ask your local company in Cork or wherever to collect a pallet

Good call.

Here a map searchable by county for your local agent for anyone wanting to arrange their own transport.

Here's a summary of the network service in Ireland

https://tpn.ie/tpn-services/ireland/

I don't doubt you'll get a slightly cheaper pallet rate if you shop around the Northern crowds but chances are high, they're going to pass your pallet onto your local haulier anyways at their central depot

There's a lot to be said for being able to pick up the phone and speak with a local crowd who are up and down your road everyday, who know you, know the house or know the neighbours... even if it is a few euro more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Lads anyone buy ovoids from CB Fules

https://www.cb-fuels.co.uk/

Smokeless or the real stuff?

thanks

Rang Hayes and a local courier.

Got quotes per tonne of:

Surelite - £400 so €460

Glovoids - £480 so €553

Got a quote for delivery of €55 + vat

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭razorronan

Just ordered a tonne of Glotherm from Greers myself using my Revolut card, it's saying €507.19 delivered for me in my Revolut app.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Lancashire-lad

How would I order from Heys direct do they have a websites or do I just ring them

Thanks

The same place it was last week when you found it...

How long are you working for Heys then?!

• Advertisement

i think lanc lad might be a troll at this stage, most people are importing coal from northern ireland to rep and they want to bring it to england to save money fmd

I'm avoiding Heys if that's the tactics they use

i don't think the poster is working for hayes lol

hayes are a huge operation they don't need to worry about the odd pallet here and there bought through boards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Not sure what he is, but he's not genuine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

Ordered Columbian from Easyglow Thursday week ago. Left the depot Friday week and hasn't been delivered. Contacted them Friday and they seemed helpful and said they'd follow up but would probably be Monday. Got a call from pallet network yesterday who asked if I got my delivery. Told them no and they said they'll ring back before the end of the day. Heard nothing since.

Not great. It's a tonne pallet of coal not a bunch of Keys. Wouldn't have thought it was that easy to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

Hi all ordered of Greers yesterday, pallet arrived in Kilkenny this morning at 9:45. Ton moved out the back into the shed. Resting my arms now

They’ll obviously sort ya

annoying but bear with it

yiuve proof of purchase which is the main thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Where is cheapest for a tonne of Columbian delivered ATM. Thanks.

Advertisement