Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Well look, thanks for that anyway.

It's seems you're happy to take the debate away from the sport. 👍️

We can have that argument about whether it's partitionist or not, but once we can both agree that fans can have whatever singalong they like, I think that's great progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

It is. And it’s been co-opted into a ridiculous sports chant along such classics as Ole Ole Ole or You’ll never beat the Irish. It’s absolutely classless to reduce it to such.

You seem to be of the belief that those singing it are doing so to have a dig at child murderers, but they’re no more doing that than Homer Simpson singing “Na na, na na, na na, na na, Leader”

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Is that why you think it is offensive, because it is "partitionist"? That took a while, maybe 20 pages and a big hint.

Is that what you took from that???

I don't think it's partitionist at all.

Like any piece of art, it's open to interpretation.

For me there's enough scope to the lyrics that it could be seen or used that way.

Just like it could be seen or used as an anti-war song, a pro-loyalist song, a singalong song, an anti UK song, an anti-nationalist song, an anti-terrorism song, an anti-independence song, an anti-treaty song, commercial exploitation of the troubles etc, etc, etc.

What I wouldn't do is insist that anyone who disagrees with me 'supports child murder'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭Francis McM

+1. Not a single person from Sinn Fein went to the funerals of the Warrington kids. Yet when there are funerals of Republicans / pira like Storey, McGuinness etc, the SF leaders are queing up to hold the coffin. And the same leaders say there was "no alternative" to the pIRA campaign.

Zombie is an anti-terrorism song, and an exceptionally good one too. The only people who could be offended are those who say they was "no alternative" to the slaughter of thousands, to the over 16,000 bombs etc.

Contrast that to the songs sometimes sung by Celtic supporters for example, and who sometimes chant "Up the Ra" during matches or inset the words IRA in to songs. Now that is much darker, more sinister, as it is glorification of paramilitaries - but not a word out of you about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

You’re the one who seems upset at anyone that disagrees with you, calling people idiots and quoting the song at others.

I believe that’s called projection.

I’m just disgusted at how a quite meaningful song has been co-opted to a brainless stadium chant. It’s no skin off my nose, won’t affect me in the real world, only that I’ll think it’s a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there isn't any and nor should there be.

the only ones who should be paying compensation are the british government, as it was they who via their deliberate incompetents in terms of northern ireland, caused the resurgence of the IRA.

sinn fein owe nobody anything.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

my perspectives on history ? stuff happened or it didnt its not a debate or perspective

as has been pointed out many many times already , this whole thing was started by shinners on twitter, it blew up in their face as it often

does your continued arguing a lost cause is baffling but sure if you've nothing better to do .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'd never heard of Therapy? until this thread so I'm guessing they weren't as successful as the Cranberries. That's why I suggested jealousy might be his issue.

As for his community, I was referring to those in NI, on both sides, that hold the bigoted views that they need to fight, march, bomb for their side. I see the song as being anti-war, anti-terrorism, anti-pIRA, anti-Troubles. I also see it as a song about defiance. Standing up to a bunch of cowardly assholes and saying "**** you, what you're doing is not in my name or my country's name." It's now an Irish classic known around the world. And Irish fans singing it at sports events is fantastic.

The only people bringing politics into it are you, the Shinners and the RA heads. Everyone else is just having a good time and enjoying the occasion. And long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

A childish part of me loves that this is riling up the ‘up the Ra’ crowd.

But it is ultimately sad that we have become so polarised and tribal. We point at the US and UK and think ‘at least we aren’t like that’ but we are. We’re allowing these wedges to be driven between us. Not just some songs, but books, cycle lanes and the whole list of current ‘grievances’.

The comedian Simon Day put it best a few years ago when people were fighting in petrol forecourts etc. Paraphrasing below:

‘Don’t fight each other, fight power. They want to keep us fighting in the streets and sitting at home watching telly while they get on with rinsing the country and slowly skinning us all alive’.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Well I tried.

So there's no perspectives on a song, or any art? It all has a fixed meaning and people aren't free to interpret it?

That's a very scary idea.

I suspect you don't really believe it and you're just doing your best to drag these politics into sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

What about all the people knee capped for selling drugs in the wrong area? SF/IRA not owe them anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

FFS, What a load of crap! Of corse Northern Irish exists as identity. 376,444 people identified as this in 2021 census.

I did not think this thread could get any worse but you just took it there.

I had to google them, as far as I can see the Cairns lad is a nobody.

You are 100% right about the song.

They celebrate them when they are alive too, this is a man who was questioned by Gardai about the murder of an Irish prison officer.

So how could anybody be against the singing of this song?

Hey, I'm happy for people to sing the song as a singalong, not my cup of tea for a sports song, but that's really neither here not there.

I'm just trying to keep these politics out of sports, and I see what's being used to try to drag them in is this nonsense that 'whoever objects to this supports terrorism', making it an us and them thing. Serving then as an excuse to keep talking about these politics, instead of housing, health, neutrality etc.

Therapy weren't quite as commercially successfully as the Cranberries, but there's was a much harder rock sound. They were still very successful critically and I'm sure made quite a penny.

But why do you talk about people in NI and 'their communities'? As far as I can see this guy distanced himself from any kind of sectarianism and just didn't like the song because he thought it fed into the same kind of condescending view that you're sharing here? That nothing existing in NI other than two communities of extremists hating each other. I mean by your own admission you know nothing about the guy and you're assuming he's representing a community of bigots!

I don't want to speak for the guy, but maybe he was just taking a defiant stand against the type of BS you're pushing?

Politics is deeply intertwined with sports, any international sport is based on politics, as nations and countries are based on politics. If you want to keep politics out of sport, get rid of all international sport, and while you're at it, tell UEFA in the meantime to readmit Russia to all international sport. Look who you are aligning yourself with to take politics out of sport.

• Advertisement

Wait a minute who am I aligning myself with? Russia? That's hilarious!

Oh please explain to me how you got to that?

You want politics out of sport, don't you, that means ending the banning of Russia from international sport.

Oh wait, I see, you just want politics you don't like out of sport. That explains it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I suppose a big difference between a terrorist and a member of an 'official' army is that the terrorist has free will and is doing what they do because they totally believe in the cause (which is what she meant by asking 'what's in your head?').

No that's still quite a stretch!

The FAI have made a decision to undertake political action against Russia, with a purpose in mind.

What's the goal here for the IRFU? Education people about the North? And who's made the decision to set their political agenda? Them? Or the likes or yourself, claiming 'anyone who doesn't agree with me is a child murderer'?

I very much doubt the IRFU want to be involved in these politics.

I think an 'unofficial' source has come out saying the song is a homage to Delores and no further comment.

Do you accept politics in sport? Yes or No?

One minute you say you are campaigning to take politics out of sport, the next you have no trouble with FAI getting involved in politics.

So which is it?

My family members weren't conscripted to fight in Iraq or Afghanistan, they made that decision.

I wouldn't agree with it, but I wouldn't call them 'Zombies'

And she did say it was about war, not just terrorism.

Again, have the singalong, but stop trying to turn that into getting your agenda into sport.

I'm alright with a sporting organization taking political actions, if it's what they want, and the fans want.

In this case it looks to me like the fans just want a singalong, but you and a few others want to turn it into a political campaign of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I still wouldn't quite compare a terrorist to a soldier. A terrorist makes a personal political decision to plant bombs and because they 100% believe in the cause : a soldier is doing it primarily as a career and is paid a salary. A soldier who makes a deliberate decision to kill civilians though would be much closer in outlook to a terrorist.

bollox , your trying to twist my words ,

there is no perspective on events that actually happeneds, there s what happened and what didnt ,

i think ye got in over you head in this topic and are trying to slink away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Unfortunately politics and sport will always be linked. For rugby alone I can think of the Springbok tour to NZ in 1981. Or the Cavaliers tour to SA in 1986. Wales and Scotland refusing to play in Dublin in the early 70s because of terrorism fears.

You probably don't realise how Ireland was viewed in the rest of the world in the 80s and 90s. It was basically seen as a warzone because the only time we heard about was when there was a bombing or a shooting. So an Irish band saying not in my name was a good thing and something Irish people can be proud of. If fans then want to belt out that song at sports events, they should do so with pride. The people objecting to it or offended by it are the ones putting the politics into it. YOU are bringing politics into it.

Advertisement