Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So you’ve never tracked a daily?

Tesla are not premium cars.

It’s not a sports car. Either is my Integra Type R yet I’ve tracked that many times.

It’s a good all rounder yes.

I drove to the run way club with the kids in the back. Raced against Porsches, GTR’s, M5’s and then drove home all without taking the car seats out. Bloody great day.

I realise some of you are not into cars and just drive diesel tractors to get A-B and that’s fine. But your constant mocking of anything that anyone else does that doesn’t fit into your little engine compartment is laughable also.

You go enjoy your diesel van and stripping turbos (by the way, Turbo Tech on the old ashbourne road are good) and let others do what they want in their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

I've had my S600 on the international circuit in Mondello fit a track day. Pretty sure that's not built for track use either but it performed exceptionally well and surprised a few more focused "sports cars".

+1

As I posted I tracked a Punto and believe it or not an S320 CDi. That thing was like a boat going around.

I got out of it and straight into an E60 535d. The difference was night and day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

99.9 % of people will never have their car on a track though. If you do, then clearly theirs a logic to buying more performance

I think its difficult to blame stupid driving and not speed for major accidents. If someone pulls out in front of you and you run into them there is a high chance one was speeding if one couldn't stop in time, or distracted by a phone. Hence why if you rear end someone you are usually screwed even if they slammed on for no reason. Where injuries occur they would often not have occurred at lower speed- it's like those road tests showing difference of magnitude in an impact at 30v40mph. I'd rather waste extra cash in a nicer set of alloys, internal comfort, or removing wood replica trims than pay for acceleration boost on a car that's already far quicker than what most people are used too - I can see legislation coming eventually on some of this stuff to support safety particularly pedestrians (already on trucks in many countries). Or insurance companies using it as an excuse to pump premiums.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭olympicweights

But in this case the performance increase is on the standard RWD model, it's not an add on. Fast 0-60s etc might seem frivolous but it makes driving far safer when trying to get onto say a busy national road from a rural road where there aren't any traffic lights, roundabouts etc. It's just a case of wait for a gap and go.

• Advertisement

I think you have a restrictive/police nanny state view on this. We should be embracing choice. not putting everyone into the same box.

A car that pulls out of a junction into the path of an oncoming car, that oncoming car no matter what speed they were doing cannot be expected to stop in time. And to apportion blame to them for that is a diabolical view IMO.

Same goes for the age old tale of "if you hit the back of someone it’s yours fault", even if they stop for no reason. Insurance companies, the law and dashcams now protect people from being brake checked. If you brake check someone you will be held at fault and rightly so.

We are getting into the nitty gritty of personal choice here with saying things should not be available to people just because you don’t have a use case for it. I don’t like coffee, should it be banned and removed from sale, no.

You like add on alloy wheels. Should we ban them unless they are made and approved by the OEM manufacturer? You want to change interior trim, others don't, should we ban that too?

Modding has been around for decades and the same principles apply. Tell your insurer and be covered properly.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

You’d have to wonder how much of the EV insurance renewal issues are down to the fact that a family econobox EV is now as fast as something traditionally fast like a bmw m3, faster in some cases, and the insurance companies now have a year or two of volume data on cars that are 1/3 the price and in the hands of the soccer moms and dads.

the actuarial side of insuring EV’s is starting to make more sense.

The big thing I noticed over the last few years was people getting into EV's, coming from standard 1.4 Focus, or even 520d with 190bhp and getting into the EV with far superior performance. They were not used to it and a few have crashed them.

Maybe the Industry is copping on now. I was paying €236 fully comp, business use and all the perks for a 762 bhp EV. That cant last!

DC2……is there any other 😂

The DC5 was soft, more customer orientated but the DC2 was raw!

• Advertisement

• “But your constant mocking of anything that anyone else does that doesn’t fit into your little engine compartment is laughable also.“

Pot kettle black much?

Half your posts are from trolling people in other threads, it’s ridiculous at this stage, take the golf one for example. Glad you were called out (and I see in the end you had to roll back and apologise) on that one because it’s usually a case of you trolling with loads of replies (no idea where you get the time, it’s a bizarre dedication of a large part of your life) and other posters get fed and walk away.

Cause I commented that I thought a Mk7 Golf was cheap and nasty, I got attacked by the VW fanboys. I still maintain my Mk5 is a better car and I’m entitled to that opinion. I did not apologize for that comment.

But Thanks for the insight from someone who slags off another poster of failing the Garda entrance exam in another thread. You are indeed trolling like you have posted.

Pot kettle black indeed!

anyway, Points duly noted and placed into a filing cabinet somewhere. Enjoy the golf.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Well that could start a whole other debate/argument!

I will agree though as I owned a '96 JDM DC2 from 1998-2003, bought it with 25k km and sold at about 138k. First kid came along so I felt it was time to move on.....

I'd a 97 JDM too. Full DC sports Exhaust including De-Cat. Drop in Spoon Filter, Fields VTEC controller mapped by Robbie in TDP.

210 bhp and 155 torques and it felt like an F1 car at the time :) :)

Only sold it to get into an Evo 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Where do I submit my application to the 0% club? Finally nailed it after a few nearlys.

and don't worry, I topped up to 20% straight away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

That's a nice little acceleration upgrade for the 2024 MY RWD. On the topic of acceleration boost, I believe it's worth €2k. Lowering acceleration times from 5 to 4.2 seconds is a major difference. Some people will think it's unnecessary or a waste of money because they probably see their cars as a utility vehicle only, others will happily spend it if it makes their driving experience more pleasurable. It's purely a matter of subjective preference.

There's nothing wrong with tracking a Model Y as long as the driver is happy doing so and are enjoying themselves. If others dislike the idea of someone tracking a model Y then that's their problem, and it's a bit sad. The community should embrace all car types from enthusiasts and non-enthuasiasts alike. I'd love to take a M3LR or MYLR around mondello, I bet it would beat most cars around the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

It appears that many posters here are hell bent to make you realise that you are totally wrong being happy and enjoy owning a Tesla. You are branded as ignorant on all the faults and sub par build of your car have and implied that had bought a VW instead your eyes would suddenly open on how crappy your car really is. What an idiot you are not realising that your car is held together with baling wire and sheer good luck. And you total lunatics then accelerate and go around corners quickly on your death traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Dads talking about tracking the family Model Y suv, while wondering why insurance companies now specifically exclude the MY from their insurable cars …

Well the fact I don't own either yet is a barrier, but I will have one inside the next 12 months. I regularly rent both variants from Hertz(mainland Europe) for 1-2 weeks at a time while on holidays and business. I know I don't get full ownership experience but I believe I get enough to know what it's like to own and possibly track them and they are brilliant cars, there are things I dislike about them but my overall experience has been positive. I know the breaks wouldn't last long if going 100% but I wouldn't be pegging it into the corners or looking for competitive lap times.

I had a Hertz MYLR recently with autopilot version 2023.32 and found autopilot was excellent, it was a really nice bonus that the cameras were clearer and has a less red tint, it's almost as if it was HW4. Auto high-beam worked brilliantly every single time, no flashing from oncoming drivers. I don't know if "deep rain" has been implemented yet or not but the wipes were still crap, not as bad as previous version I think but still terrible. I seen many posts on teslaownersforum with many people complaining that autopilot got a lot worse with version .32, I can say my experience was the opposite.

A few weeks ago I was in Switzerland and was doing an early morning drive from Brienz(just west of Interlakken) along route 6 and route 19( I think it's called the Furka pass and St Goddard pass) heading south when a new Ford Mustang v8 and a Porsche 718 Cayman S PDK came from behind, I let them go ahead but I was amazed how I could keep with them in the M3LR(Crossclimate 2 fitted) while they were on their very spirited drive. The M3 wasn't great in the corners compared to the Porsche of course but I was on their tails all the way. Normally I dislike mustangs but the sound of that v8 reverberating through the alps at full tilt was glorious. Extremely quiet roads on a chilly morning with a beautiful sunrise on some of the best driving roads in the Swiss alps was driving Nirvana for me, even if it was in a Tesla.

• Advertisement

Private motor policies don’t cover track use so irrelevant.

Mist that enjoy this side of motoring are not one bit complaining about insurance. It’s mainly the people that don’t own one complaining based on posts on here.

MY is not alone with regards to insurance, some companies won’t take a GTi, my last company wouldn’t insure my 535d (Cornmarket).

Just have to shop around. Simples. Easy process and you get a better price 99.9% of the time 👍

Model Y No. 1 selling EV car in September.

You owners are everywhere 😂

I think it's more about the fact its a relatively common €50k+ 360hp crossover that has terrible repairability. At the moment I believe insurance premiums for electric cars will rise across the board in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Everything will rise for EV's over the years.

The price of public charging has shot up (I know it's an energy price thing per se).

Toll charges will rise. Motor tax will rise.

Motorists are a cash cow and that won't change in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I think there are people on both sides of the divide here.

There are people who for some reason best known to themselves hate Tesla owners.

Then on the other side there are Tesla owners who like to rub others noses in it because they own a Tesla.

Personally I have no problem with people no matter what they drive if it makes them happy, as long as they stick to the rules of the road & are courteous & polite to other road users.

I say drive whatever makes you happy.

I don’t think the Tesla owners are rubbing anyone’s noses because they own a Tesla, my own opinion is that they are just refuting the constant hate towards them from people that 1. Don’t own a Tesla and 2. Don’t even own an EV at all!

A Tesla is cheaper than an ID4, so if anything the ID4 owner should be rubbing other people’s noses in it.

There are plenty of cars better than a Tesla. There are plenty of cars faster than a Tesla, cheaper than a Tesla and there are plenty that are slower, more expensive.

It’s like an iOS V Android all over again and Civic Type R V Golf GTi.

At the end of the day, these are all mass produced cars in China and they all have their pros and cons. Some suit others. But when people ridicule other people for their car choice it’s very annoying. I hate seeing people get ridiculed because they bought a particular car. So what. They should get over it.

I've seen very few Tesla owners rubbing other car owners' noses in it. But the ones who've claimed to do it on the Irish EV owners Facebook page certainly aren't doing Tesla owners in general any favours.

Tesla owners are perceived as very clique-ish. There's an undeniable truth in that. Having your own private charging network will lead to that perception. Having your own private Facebook page will lead to that perception. Waving at other Tesla drivers will lead to that perception. There might be valid reasons for these, but regardless of whether the reasons are valid or not, once the perception forms, that's it. And I think that Tesla owners need to accept that it's not an unreasonable opinion for other motorists to have of them.

Polestar have a private FB group.

ID4 Owners have a private FB group.

Porsche have a private chargers in their dealers.

bmw have private chargers in their dealers too.

Other brands have exactly the same as what you’ve described tesla as having.

And I’ve never waved at another Tesla owner before. Yet the polestar private fb group actively talk about waving, the i3 group I’m in also talk about it.

• Advertisement

The Porsche and BMW chargers aren't as obvious as the Tesla charging sites. (Porsche also have a lot of chargers at hotels in Europe, dunno about Ireland). The less busy Tesla chargers are often right beside very busy public chargers, so the non-Tesla drivers get to see Teslas charging without queueing while they sometimes have to wait. That could lead to resentment I think.

I'm not in the other private groups, so I don't know what goes on there. But less than 10 posts after it was posted in the Tesla FB group about Model Y being the best selling EV in September, somebody had asked about posting it on the IEVOA. Some owners do seem to have a them-and-us mentality.

Maybe as you said it's the same for other brands of cars. But I've owned Fiats, Skodas, Toyotas, Nissans, Renault and Ford before now and waving was never a thing between those brands.

Advertisement