Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,917 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's not an irrelevant question. And Insulting a poster for saying it is highly disrespectful.

Fact of the matter is that Ireland scored 7 points in the first half, that's 3.5 points per quarter, We scored 10 points by the end of three quarters, that's 3.3 points per quarter. At the end of the game we had score 13 points, that's 3.33 points per quarter. So our points scoring average remained almost exactly the same whether in front of behind.

To suggest that it's highly likely things would have changed if South Africa had scored two penalties isn't supported by facts or math. We were behind and our points scoring average never changed. There is no basis for suggesting that we could have changed our scoring average based on the performance of the other team.

I'd like the sevens set up.

You are likely to have Scotland and Australia in a shield which doesn't give much chance to the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If a team kick a successful penalty, we kick off to them and they start off in their 22. If they miss one, they're running the ball back from a goal line drop out. That alone is a massive difference. The idea that:

a) They left 11 points out there - not sure I've ever seen teams include multiple kicks from their own half as 'missed points' before

b) If they make a couple of kicks they win the game

Both are a bit naff to me. No point talking ifs or buts when we pissed away 4 or 5 huge opportunities from line outs. We can fix that before anyone in the South African squad can start nailing 55m penalties. I include Pollard in that who's reputation seems to improve the more hes out injured

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's completely irrelevant.

If someone waves a magic wand and the game was the same except we were 4 points down when Crowley kicked the penalty we obviously wouldn't have kicked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

There will be no collusion, and Ireland will be hell-bent on beating Scotland.

A subtle dimension to the Irish psyche is our relation with the non-English home nations, i.e., Wales and Scotland. These nations think that we are bound by some mutual hatred of England. It's very much a one-way assumption. We are embarrassed by their impotent rage, akin to a teenager, still living at home, that hates their parents.

We have mostly moved on, grown up, and fancy ourselves more as England's colleague than its minion. Anecdotally, I have heard many English fans remark that they prefer a trip to Dublin, than to Edinburgh or Cardiff.

Ireland can tolerate a loss to the English far more than we do a loss to the Welsh or Scots. They stand for everything we used to be, everything we escaped from. Something we in equal parts fear and pity.

We will never, ever help them. It cannot happen. It will not happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Also, England turned up all those years ago when others didn't. Rugby fans of a certain vintage always respected them for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,772 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not sure how you can glean insult from challenging your assertion; a touch of the sealion tbh. The only fact is, the Boks missed the kicks and Ireland won the game. Everything else is up for nothing but speculation. The misses were pivotal but to imply anything else is utter conjecture and only ever thus. At most you can say "if they scored X, Ireland would have lost" about that very final attack. Beyond that isn't certain; that's the fun of sport.

@Podge_irl made an astute example of the difference the game would have gone had the scoreline been different. There's just no way to say definitively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭techdiver

That argument works both ways. If you present Irelands score rate as a constant without taking other factors into account (butchering at least 2 try scoring opportunities with poor lineout executions and Keenan getting held up just short of the line and Doris knocking on), you can't then state that only South Africa missed chances which means they should have won. But if we are to go down that rabbit hole.

1. One of the missed kicks leads to the SA try so if that had been scored that would be a net gain of -2.
    2. Two kicks were not high percentage in the first place an many teams would not have taken them on. So they are never a guaranteed 6 points even with a top kicker. (South Africa were only 80% successful in the 2019 world cup with Pollard btw).
    3. As also explained, one penalty came directly after missing another one due to the fact that Ireland had to restart inside their own 22 as opposed to half way, so those sequence of events would have changed.

And it is indeed true that teams play differently depending on their scoreboard position. You naturally have to take more risks in order to score. Each time Ireland went behind they came back and re-took the lead. When 6 up in a tight game you naturally play more conservatively to avoid mistakes.

The discourse has been that South Africa missed 11 points in kicks, ergo, they should have won by 6 instead of lost by 5. That's not a certainty.

South Africa have an incredible goal kicking record in their history as well as recent times. The expected yield from those kicks based on their recent kicking history and the kicking accuracy of both those kickers is 8 points.

The average percentage for kicks of over 50 metres is 57.5%, De Klerk's average kicking record is 66.6% and most of those are long kicks. So even being ultra conservative, expected yield is just under 4 points, you have to expect him to score one of the two which is three points.

That means that the average for the other two kicks is 76.6% which rounds out at 3.8 points. So we are talking a minimum expectation of seven points for those kicks, round that down instead of up and it's six points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I'm not including South Africa's opportunities close to our goal line. I'm specifically talking about goal kicking expectation based on averages.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

South Africa have an incredible goal kicking record in their history as well as recent times. The expected yield from those kicks based on their recent kicking history and the kicking accuracy of both those kickers is 8 points.

Except it isn't, because literally if they had gotten them all the max expected gain was 6 points as they wouldn't have scored the try (-2) and two kicks were from basically the same attack (max 3 from two kicks).

No, they should have won by one or three points if they kicked at the average expected of them. They can't kick seven off those kicks, so we go to six points or eight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Teams would know that they will play in at least one knock out game after the group stages. Presumably fans would plan around that, in much the same that Irish fans will do so for the quarters and hopefully beyond. In addition, organisers could have cheaper tickets for such games, to attract more engagement. Could package games by stadium. As in you buy a ticket for a QF game and get admission to a lower level game played at the same stadium that weekend or whatever. It's not that complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Ireland scored 13 points so isn't that 3.25 per quarter not 3.33?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

absolutely pointless conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Interesting downgrade there. You've gone from "Could sell so much more advertising and tickets. No brainer" to selling them as cheaper tickets and even giving them away as freebies with a QF game.

Whilst obviously the costs associated with ground hire, security, staffing remain a constant.

Perhaps it's not such a no brainer as you think? Like clearly it's doable (almost anything is doable, there's no need to convince me of that), but does it make any commercial/economic sense?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No different to buying a ticket to a QF several months ago really.

Sell them at a bit of a discount , using the smaller venues used in the group stages - 6 of the last 8 games in this years competition will be played in Paris.

You could play the bowl/shield games in places like Nantes etc. I don't think you'd have any issue selling 25/30k tickets for any of those games even if you might not know for sure who's going to be playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

Is Joy Neville the most useless incompetent biased TMO ever ? She not fit for the Leister Junior Cup IMO

Mod: Do not abuse match officials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The tournament is likely making millions in profit. I don't think extra games is going to be a negative to that equation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

Hearing La Marseillaise belt out at loads of matches suggests the locals make up a significant chunk of the crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Looks like a change in the rules? Or an unexpected clarification?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Especially in the context of trying to grow the game and get more eyeballs and engagement from those Tier 2/3 Nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'd agree with you regards fans.

English fans are great craic and always a good day out.

I like Welsh people except when it comes to rugby. They'd start a scrap with somebody in an empty room.

Scottish. Mixed bag. Generally grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

That contradicts this article World Rugby published today. I think their press team must not be talking to each other.

In particular this paragraph

"A bonus-point win for New Zealand will secure qualification for the quarter-finals. Even if France, Italy and New Zealand all finish on 15 points, the All Blacks have the better points difference (+133 to France’s +125 and Italy -14). Italy would then qualify in second ahead of France on the head-to-head rule."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,853 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The singing bollocks with the Welsh fans annoys me

All think there Pavarotti or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,772 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I have found the fans of most countries similar to us, full of hope and pre match arrogant banter but humble and self deprecating in defeat.

Except a goodly portion of the Welsh who remain arrogant but bitter in defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I don't mind that. Some of them cracking voices. The choir lads are entertaining.

Advertisement