Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobseeker's Benefit after 9 months

• 29-09-2023 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Hi. I will be leaving my job soon with a severance package. My skills are pretty niche, so it will almost certainly be some time before I am again in full time employment. 4-6 months, with 9 months at the outside. Have been in permanent employment for 22 years and my wife earns approximately 30k.

Based on my understanding of Jobseeker's Benefit...

1. I will be eligible to claim Jobseeker's Benefit 9 weeks after I leave my employment.
    2. I can then claim Jobseeker's Benefit for 9 months.

Question: after those nine months, if I did not yet have a job, what happens then? I've looked at the government and citizen's information sites but it's not clear to me what "reapplying" means in practice.

Sorry if this is a silly question, and thank you for any insight you can give.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Towards the end of 9 months you'll be invited to apply for Jobseekers Allowance, it's means tested and your wife's income will be included.

When you say your leaving, is this Voluntary or redundancy 🤔 if voluntary you may face a 9 week penalty. You'll be askex to explain reason for leaving employment, if redundancy, fine but depending on severance amount this may affect when you get JSB.

REGARDLESS, important to apply immediately to maintain Contribution, Jobseekers Payments are not generally backdated

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I would advise you to claim jsb immediately upon becoming unemployed, don't wait 9 weeks. Although you are getting a severance package it is still a redundancy of your job. Worst case scenario the sw office make you wait the 9 weeks but if you apply 9 weeks late and it turns out you would have qualified for an earlier payment then you have feck all chance of it bring back paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You’re not being very clear. If you are being made redundant on a voluntary basis then you will not be disqualified at all, unless your severance package is more then €50,000 and you are under the age of 55.

If you really want to beef up on the vagaries of JSB, here are the Operational Guidelines. Pay special attention to the Available for Work section ….

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e95f88-operational-guidelines-jobseekers-benefit/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭dingbat

Hi. Yes my package is over 50k and I am under 55.

Re. the link, that's why I'm posting here. I've read it.

Hi. It's voluntary, i.e. severance rather than redundancy.

• Advertisement

That might affect your eligibility, redundancy is straight forward, you've lost your job, Voluntary severance might be treated differently and you may be subject to the 9 weeks waiting time

More details below but regardless you should apply immediately on finishing your employment

Yes that bit is clear. I will not be eligible for the first 9 weeks.

The bit I'm unclear about is what happens after 9 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭gipi

As Dempo1 said in an earlier post, after 9 months, you apply for Jobseekers Allowance. This is means tested, and will include any other income (spouse or partner), savings or property (except for family home).

If you don't qualify, but are still unemployed, you can continue to sign for PRSI credits - this will maintain your PRSI record for future years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You may have niche skills, but what's stopping you taking employment elsewhere? Even just as a stopgap while waiting for your niche skills to become desired?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,073 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

after 22 years of employment, i think people deserve a break....

The deciding officer gives the claimant around 9 months to find something in their own skills/qualifications. If they’ve not got anything by then, the pressure to take a job outside of your comfort zone is ramped up (referred to a SW backed job finding agency etc) and that’s when they generally find something that suits them pretty quickly.

Sure they do. For how long though wanderer and how should the person on the break finance themselves?

It’s not really complicated. Your benefit runs out. If you’ve not found a job then two things happen. First of all they invite you to apply for Jobseeker’s Allowance. So you submit evidence of all your income and savings and that of your spouse/co habitant. SW look at that and decide if you need any further financial assistance while you’re continuing to look for work.

If the decide you don’t need it then you won’t get any more payment but you can ask to continue to sign for credits.

we pay them, as theyve paid enough in taxes over the years, it all goes back into the economy anyway, as most will be spent straight back into it, swings and roundabouts! a few months off can be a lifesaver, re-energising people after that length of time working, which in turn makes better, happier and more productive workers in the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

If its voluntary but with a pay off its still voluntary redundancy. So you are still being made redundant & entitiled to some support.

I imagine after the 9 months if you still have the majority of your pay out in the bank, you probably wont qualify for Job Seekers since you have your own money to spend.

Not that I agree with that approach, but I expect that will be what happens.

Otherwise they wouldnt means test you.

But you don’t say for how long, wanderer “we” should pay them this “I’m having a break now” payment. How much should we pay them, too? How long do you think you should have to work before you get “I’m having a break now” Benefit? How long should the benefit last? And don’t forget, how much should we pay, for example, a man (taking a break) who has a wife who doesn’t work outside the home and their 4 teenagers? (Bear in mind, their mortgage is €1000 a month and their car loan is €450 and their health insurance is €350).

There are plenty who never contribute anything in their life and get free JSA and a free pension.

Anyone who has ever worked deserves at least as much as those scroungers get.

most citizens pay taxes, including the long term unemployed!

And they deserve the same benefits at minimum vs those that never contributed.

• Advertisement

Ok so I’m still waiting for a response from wanderer ( I’m sure he’s composing a response right now) but maybe you can help.

How many years do you need to have worked before you get this “I need a break now” Benefit. How long will the “I need a break now” Benefit last? Does your employer need to keep your job open while you’re on the benefit? How much will a man claiming for his wife and 3 teenagers get considering he has a mortgage of €1000 a month a car loan of €450 and health insurance of €350?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭phormium

Basically once your Jobseekers Benefit is up you can apply for Jobseekers Allowance (the Dole in old terms!) so have a read of the means test for JA to see if you would qualify for anything, unlikely I would think as it's hard to get anything with an income coming in however there are family payments that might be a runner at that stage.

A trip into a citizens information office might be worth it, they are pretty expert in social welfare issues.

Benefit is immediate and lasts forever. The rate is the same, regardless of financial commitments.

You know, the same as it is for anyone on unemployment benefit.

Jobseekers benefit lasts for 9 months max.

Carers benefit lasts for 2 years.

Illness benefit lasts for 2 years.

I have no idea why you think that benefits last forever.

The rate of illness benefit or jobseekers benefit depends on the rate of pay you earned in the taxable year.

So. From what I can gather from you, you are suggesting that if someone starts work at age 18 they should be allowed to retire permanently at the age of 40. Once again, how much Retirement Pension should they get at 40?

So if someone does not get a job after 9 months, you are saying that they no longer receive state benefits in any way?

Yes they’re finished with benefits. They move on to allowance. It’s means tested.

You've been reading this forum for years and I thought that you would know this.

Now, are you going to explain your theory about people being allowed to retire on full pension at aged 40 as long as they’ve 22 years worked.

That would mean that only people aged 22 to 40 are contributing PRSI and USC and tax into the system. ( that’s where we get most of the money to pay pensions at 66).

But you are suggesting that people get their pension 26 years earlier now. So how would that work? Where would we get the money to pay these pensions?

Thanks folks. Seem to have ignited a debate here :-)

I have no experience with being out of a job. Have always been in a job, whether contract work or permanent. I think the bit I missed was that Jobseeker's Benefit and Jobseeker's Allowance are two different things. So thank you @Dempo1. Apologies for misunderstanding your point.

As for other commentary, I'm not planning to be out of a job for over 9 months. But I plan to be prepared. I like knowing what the various outcomes would be if things did not go well. If it came to it, my efforts during that time would have been spent trying to find the next right job; a role that continues my career trajectory in a meaningful way. If I get to a point where I simply need cash from somewhere, that will change the equation and I will need to find any job.

I've paid a lot into the system, and entirely happy to do so. I'm a strong believer in the welfare state and ensuring our floor is as high as possible. I don't really care if some folks decide they will lie around and scrounge - I'd prefer we had a few too many like that than we leave people who really need it go without (which is what currently happens too often).

Oh so they DO continue to get benefits for the rest of their lives.

So, I was correct and you were wrong.

And in due time, the non contributor also receives a pension, which they never paid into and is called a non-contributory pension.

This free pension can in fact be higher than the pension earnt by someone that DID contribute for years but wasnt able to gain the full pension credits.

My point is pretty clear.

If someone never works in their life and is carred by the state on benefits forever, then someone that has worked, should, during periods of unemployment, recieve at least the same financial supports that the non contributor does.

And upon retirement age, they should also receive at least the equivalent pension value as the non-contributory pension, to answer your question.

This escalated quite quickly.

Just one point to add. Job activation measures start immediately regardless of wether a claimant is on JSB or JSA, DSP don't wait 9 months for claimants to find a job.

Within a very short time JSB will be referred to Pathways to work

• Advertisement

No you’re still wrong, I’m afraid. Benefits are what you’re qualified for when you’ve paid into the system. Allowances are what you get when either your benefits are exhausted or you never had any at all.

But every day is a school day here on boards and I bet you won’t make the same mistake again.

You’re also mistaken in your allegation that someone who has never paid into the system can get more money to live on at pension age then someone who has, but just didn’t pay enough.

The person who didn’t pay enough into the system has the opportunity to apply to be means tested for the non con pension too. Anything else would be ludicrous. Amazing!

But what time are you going to get back here to tell us how this Retirement Pension at 40 is going to work?

Whether you call them benefits or allowances is irrelevant. Its still money given by the state & It is still a social welfare benefit, in either case.

The person who has paid contributions but didnt make the full contribution upon retirement has to apply to get the same pension as someone that NEVER contributed.

They may well not apply for the non contribution pension amd even if they do, they may get rejected in their application.

So my 2nd point is perfectly valid also.

It is true that a person that paid into the state pension but doesnt receive the full pension amount on retirement can end up with a smaller state pension than a person that never contributed in the first place.

I never said anything about people retiring at 40.

The only real reason that anyone is refused the non con pension is if they have savings or assets in excess of about €80,000 and/or another private/occupational pension .

So are you seriously going to suggest that someone with that wealth is comparable to the pensioner who got their non con on the basis that they had less than €20000 and no other income?!? Your knowledge of our state pension seems to be very limited. Should you not go and do a bit of reading before you comment any more?

No reading required, i understand how it works.

What I am outlining is how it could be improved to become more equitable.

In my opinion, everyone should be entitied to the state pension. Regardless of how much they have contributed.

But equally, everyone should recieve, at a minimum, the value of the non con pension.

I understand thats not how it works today, but thats how it should work. In my opinion.

It isn't equitable to give someone that hasn't contributed a larger state pension than someone that has contributed.

The contributor should, at minimum, always have parity with the non contributor.

That's essentially my point.

It couldn’t get any more equitable then the way it is right now. The more contributions you made the more pension you get, irregardless of how much savings assets or property you have.

If you made very few or no contributions then if you can demonstrate that you have very little income and very little savings then you’ll get the minimum amount you need to live on every week.

If you made no contributions but you’re very wealthy then you’ll not get anything.

That’s it.

How would you change that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Just to note this isn't necessarily the case. I spent 10 months on JSB/JSA there recently (back in work since Auguest) and I wasn't brought onto any of the activation programmes. Never even got assigned a case officer. In fact, the only in-person dealings I had with Intreo the entire time was the one time I had to sign on.

• Advertisement

By ensuring everyone gets at least the value of the non con pension.

You where clearly an exception. The point I was making is that it is not the case DSP wait silently for 9 months before referring Jobseekers to activation measures.

Why would we give a non con pension to millionaires? You’re suggesting that we give Michael O Leary and Michael Flatley each €254 a week.

Yes. Everyone deserves the state pension, no?

And those guys have paid a hell of a lot of other peoples state pensions. Seems only fair that they get theirs also.

Sorry not a non con pension. Its a contributory pension, but at the value of a non con pension, at minimum.

A contributory pension should never be worth less than a non con.

• Advertisement

But you still think that everybody has to get a pension including very wealthy people irregardless of their wealth or the amount of PRSI contributions they make?

Wouldnt it be a lot more straight forward to offer people the con pension commensurate with the contributions they’ve made and give them the choice to be means tested for a non con pension too?

No.

If someone gets a non con pension they paid nothing into the system. If a wealthy person didnt work, they deserve the non con pension as much as the other person that never worked.

If the wealthy person did work, they deserve a contributory pension, at least the value of the non con and ideally higher. Since they paid for it.

Personal wealth had nothing to do with it.

If someone that contributed nothing gets a non con pension, then anyone that has paid into the system should get at least that amount.

Whats so complicated about that?

I don’t think everyone NEEDS a pension. Can you explain why everyone needs state aid?

Everyone deserves it. Im sure there are plenty on the social that dont NEED it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

For the benefit of the op, I can share my experience of the process.

I was made redundant a few years ago at age 51 - very lucky to receive a large settlement as I had worked for the company for over 25 years. I engaged with Intreo immediately and was advised that I would not receive payment for 9 weeks due to the size of my payout.

I went to the Intreo offices and filled out all required forms. When it came time for payment, I went to the offices again and physically signed. I was then asked to attend a getting back to work meeting with a number of professionals in the same situation.

Once it seemed to Intreo what I was actively interested in looking for a new role, they advised that I could then sign-on in the local post office.

I had to formally inform them that I was going on holiday and would not be available to sign on - that was fine as you can do this for 2 weeks in the year.

The other engagement with Intreo was to work with a case officer where they tried to assist you with finding work - most of this was centered around them advising on training and education opportunities. They were not really in a position to provide help in finding 'professional' opportunities.

They hinted that there would possibly be a requirement to demonstrate the ways in which you were trying to find work, sometime in the future. I kept a spreadsheet of all of the details of my own job seeking.

I found the people at Intreo to be very helpful and professional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭hawthorne

It has been a requirement to give evidence of looking for a job for about 20 years now. You need to keep a diary of ALL your activities how you look for a job. I remember that they insisted on getting letters from me showing job refusals from employers. When I had none, they wanted name and phone number of persons I have spoken to. In the end I had a daily report for every single working day I was out of work to show all my efforts. Some of the SW folks can be pretty demanding. Others don't care much. It always depends on whom you meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, my relation are long-term on JSA (while doing nixers up to 40k), and never seems to be subject to job activation.

Advertisement