Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Middle Eastern involvement don't ya know. Match fixing. A team effort from the Saudis trying to unsettle salah before the transfer window shut and now the Qataris bribing VAR officials to take points off Liverpool. Diabolical plan with I believe the Illuminati AND the Rothschild family involved. All to take down Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Has there never been such an example? Have you listened to the audio from every single controversial VAR decision to conclude that Saturday was unique?

I can tell you what makes me annoyed. I have pointed out systematic problems with VAR, including the lack of professionalism, the matey comments from Dean, the lack of diversity in recruitment of referees, the absence of a performance culture etc., and it was ignored, but, suddenly, because Liverpool were on the wrong end of a decision, VAR is bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

I never said they would. But as I said, if this happened in other jurisdictions people would assume corruption because they wouldn't think someone could be that incompetent. But when it comes to PL referee's they absolutely can be that incompetent.

In 2015/2016 Lecister won the league title. Not sure what that has to do with current form though. It's not about a scapegoat, it's si ply about discussing the merits of Spurs as a too three team. As for Spurs' current form, they needed the opposition to score a 95th minute winner to beat 9 men. 😂 I'm struggling to see how impressive that is, but we can agree to disagree on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

It bothers me that getting rid of VAR is being considered a solution.

VAR as a concept is a good one - having access to more data shouldn’t be seen as a bad thing.

But having one organisation implement and execute it doesn’t work, and has led to the referees being a law unto themselves.

Would separate organisations work? PGMOL manage matchday refereeing, training etc, with a separate organisation that manages the VAR procedures and post match reviews - a sort of refereeing regulator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

well I am the tantamount optimist and believe we will win every game. But can understand why you aren’t of the same opinion and can respect that. One thing though, the reason why Liverpool were down to 9 men was from constant and wreck less fouling because being overrun by spurs. And the constant pressure inevitably caused your defence to flail at a cross causing a goal. Spurs were the better team. Salah was anonymous. There was a reason Allison got a good rating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

There’s a very sinister undercurrent to the outrage from Liverpool fans though. You’re not the first to use the corruption word and, whether deliberately or not, you’re creating an impression there was something underhand going on. Of course, you can say that you, and others, are just random people on the internet so what does it matter. Well, all that noise gathers pace and Liverpool themselves released an official statement saying that sporting integrity had been undermined. Again, a not so subtle inference that this was deliberate.

Liverpool suffered a very bad call at the weekend. But it was a mistake. Human error. It’s **** but it happens in every walk of life and has happened for as long as sports have been played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

or could we say it's the glaziers fault, seems to work for you guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Here's a list of all of the PGMOL statements where they have admitted they fecked up. None have the example on Saturday where the VAR was telling the ref to give a goal as his lineman was wrong. But he assume they were saying not to give it.

This has to change the wording for future cases or else the same thing will keep happening over and over again and we will have wrong decisions again and again again.

Leave the clubs out of it, and it's easier to talk about VAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Sheff United had a goal not given when the ball crossed the line. Pretty much confirmed their relegation.

The arsenal one is worse for me. That was a var blatantly not following the rules. This is a miscommunication if what they have said so far is true.

The ref thought the goal was given so did a quick check and confirmed it was onside so check over. That's a human error and whole bad is understandable.

They need to review the process because they fecked up the process here. The assistant var does essentially nothing, and when they realised their mistake they couldn't intervene.

It just seems a completely over the top reaction from Liverpool. Talking about the integrity of the sport when they've not care before. Obviously that type of over the top response will bring out rival fans.

And it's a shame they issued that statement as Klop was brilliant in his interview, raised his point well, made it clear it wasn't acceptable but stayed calm while doing so.

I agree, leave the clubs out of it.

Take from cricket and rugby which have had video refereeing for much longer and have standard protocols in place. Everyone knows what everything means, no mates chatting, no confusion.

How many times have you heard the rugby VAR say "You may award the try"? Simple, straightforward, concise and absolutely clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Definitely need different people in the VAR room as it's a different skillset. The assumption that the best on-field referees would also be the VAR referees was always flawed thinking. Akin to Argentina sending Messi to be their player in an e-sports soccer contest.

Someone who can instinctively work out the best of 20 available angles to spot a potential handball, or notice an incident in the build-up to a goal may be a terrible on-field referee (fitness, lack of control over players maybe) but a brilliant VAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well said.

And I didnt realise you have be certain amount away before could discuss decision.

Offside is offside surely be it a metre or a centimetre.

Both were wrong calls.

You keep believing. Don't celebrate that league title just yet though!

Of course sporting integrity had been undermined. A clear and obvious goal was ignored ignores by the people responsible for implementing the rules. I don't think that means it will delibrate though. Sporting integrity can be undefined through incompetence. I watch watc lots of sports, and I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen a video assistant genuinely have no idea what just happened during a match. Like, where they even awake when the goal was scored? Where they even in the room? None of that has been explained.

Liverpool are perfectly entitled to ask those questions and expect answers.

Fair play. I do hope the rest of the season isn’t marred by stupid VAR decisions

Do you not realise that they won't bother reviewing the process unless they are forced into it by external pressure? PMGOL operate like this because they can and no one has really made any demands that they change. Arsenal should have done it last year.

But for some reason, Liverpool are being told they should just stfu and accept what's in place now. I think that's crazy personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think we have went from refs and linesmen getting 98% of decisions correct with some controversial ones wrong, to VAR getting 99% of decisions right with some controversial ones wrong.

And to get that minimal increase we added layers of complexity and completely neutered any sense of celebration after a goal is scored. Well done everybody.

The sad fact is that they all are asking the wrong questions. Who said the point of VAR was to get more correct decisions? To get from 98% correct to 99% correct? The point of VAR was to reduce controversy, and it hasn't done that because it can never do it, subjective will remain subjective no matter how many levels of officials they have watching the game.

Arsenal did do it last year, and their fans made a song and dance about it online, but were shouted down by other fans.

Liverpool are very late coming to the VAR isn't working table.

People giving out about Liverpool because they were on the receiving end of a wrong call and VAR inconsistencies.

If those lads' clubs had complained when they were on the receiving end of decisions, then maybe the wrong decisions wouldn't happen so much.

It's up to the clubs to force change. Change doesn't happen without some sort of catalyst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

People here are being deliberately obtuse in pretending not to recognise the difference between

"Offside" not matter how tight the decision is and the lines being drawn correctly e.g. Garnacho (Man Utd. vs Arsenal) and

"Blatantly onside" where no matter what lines you draw, no offence has been committed. and the VAR decision must reflect this.

The reason people are mentioning the term "conspiracy" is that there doesn't seem to be any logical reason as to why this goal was not allowed.

Gary Neville said that he heard the comment "check over" but no one knows what was being checked because the VAR decision didn't go up on screen.

At half time, Liverpool has been made aware that there had been a f**k up.

I'm surprised that Spurs fans are weighing in so defensively, as Tottenham didn't actually do anything wrong. It would have been a very different game had the goal stood, but I think after how Spurs twice came from behind against Arsenal, they can feel that they would have done the same here. I don't think its a fight they need to get involved in. They, along with everyone, should be more interested in having VAR fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Xander10

Did Liverpool ever speak up when they benefitted from wrong VAR calls?

Just trying to get my head around it being for the greater good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What club does?

Are people seriously suggesting their club should come out and say sorry about that lads, if they the benefit from a VAR error? Should Spurs have given us the goal at half time, when everybody copped something went badly wrong?

Why would they? The error has got nothing to do with them.

I might have a little smile to myself the next time Spurs are on the wrong side of a VAR decision, but that's just tribalism and being a fan. It's still stupid, irrelevant and illogical. The offside call has nothing to do with Spurs.

Next we'll be expecting Klopp to apologise and award the goal himself to Brighton, if the same thing happens in the next game against them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Xander10

The other thing is; when the ref is asked to come over and look at the screen, start the footage at the beginning, without slow motion Then do the slow mos if needs be.

Showing a still like they did yesterday is leading the referee to change the decision. By starting with that still, they are basically saying, look at how that tackle ended up. You better change your decision.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Going by the intense reaction I think this is the first time VAR has been used in a Liverpool game. Hence them only realising what 85% of people already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

They did in their holes and you can be absolutely sure that if it was United or City on the receiving end of that decision at the weekend the majority of the lads crowing in here about the injustice would be laughing their arses off over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

The look on Simon Hooper's face when the VAR spoke to him 30 seconds after the ball went out following the check complete is priceless, thank god it is black shorts that wear😀

The poor fella as he did nothing wrong; I hope the fella doing VAR bought the first round after the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Like the majority of non Liverpool fans now laughing at the Liverpool damn strange that i just can't put my finger on any reason why they would 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

All club's should get together and demand a complete review of how VAR is used in England. There have been too many mistakes this year already.

Liverpool weren't even the latest example from this weekend. Brentford had a Stonewall peno not given against Forest yesterday when Turner just straight up booted Wissa up the hole after he nicked the ball off him. It wasn't even a subjective call, just 100% a penalty.

Yet you have Dean and Co afraid to make the calls they are paid to make because their mate on the pitch might be having a tough day.

Those comments alone should have triggered a root and branch reform. But no, we are stuck with nonsense ever week and we are all the stage were we are not even sure what the rules are anymore.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

The Premier League rejected the automated offside decisions that the World Cup etc had, for this season iirc. They don't help themselves when it comes to VAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Liverpool fans have been complaining about VAR for years, same as all fans - I've no idea why people see it as such a mystery that fans would be particularly aggrieved when an entirely new way to fck up occurs. This is the first time match officials actually knew there was a huge game defining mistake immediately, but didn't have the basic common sense to rectify it on the spot. Of course people will have a renewed sense of "wtf?!"

The fact this has become fans of clubs bickering at each other, when no club is in any way at fault for anything here, is beyond me.

I don’t think one spurs has said it wasn’t a goal. We all know it was but liverpools reaction and their statement and subsequent large portions of fans (a few here but not many) demanding a replay is what’s getting everyone annoyed. The game is over Spurs won, end of.

now if Liverpool want to go on a crusade of transparency and reform we are all supportive. But if they are trying to change the result of the match, it’s pretty embarrassing.

There is literally zero indication whatsoever that the club are looking for the result to be changed.

Getting annoyed about what random other fans elsewhere on the internet are posting about is beyond pointless. There will always be an endless stream of nonsense from fans of all clubs, all the time. It's a fools errand.

Nothing about the clubs official reaction or statement is in any way surprising.

Well what escalation and resolution are they looking for?

Leave the match and result out of it and go on the crusade. Can’t do both.

Did I read Liverpool already voted not to have artificial intelligence VAR?

But I wholeheartedly agree with any club that’s looking for actual reform. We have had our ups and downs with VAR but it evens out. But that’s not right either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Again with this replay nonsense where has the club asked for this or the result to be changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The entire Premier League voted to stick with the current lines-drawing var system for this year. IMO a mistake (but also something which was not enacted on Saturday - on-screen lines were especially conspicuous by their absense).

As for escalation and resolution, that is what the requested investigation is for. If you have a problem with a procedure/process, you escalate it and look for a way to resolve future problems. Nothing about that indicates any desire for a change of result. It's basic problem/solution language.

Ok that clears that up. Happy to support that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement

The ‘Liverpool should have been down to 8 men’ line is funny all the same.

Loved that one myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Just reading the last few pages and one or twonthings struck me, People are assuming Liverpool want the match replayed? That’s dumb. They don’t and there’s no hope it would ever be.

Spurs fans talking about the CL penalty? At that time, under the rules the refs were operating under, it was a penalty.

Releasing the audio sets a dangerous precedent, will it make VAR better? I don’t think so. Refs have to be protected.

Even if they don't release it to the public, they really have to release it to the involved parties - otherwise the lack of transparency removes any credibility. The precedent should always be transparency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

Releasing the audio immediately protects refs because it removes any notion of conspiracy or corruption if you at least hear they tried to get to the correct decision in good faith(even if you disagree with the decision).

The only reason to not release it is to hide incompetence or lack of process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I thought Webb was going to appear on Monday Night Football. Probably need to wait for his monthly show with Michael Owen

I don't think Spurs fans are defensive. I've not heard one say that it it was anything more than a 100% incorrect call. Liverpool got screwed by a mistake. I'd be sick if I was them but it's happened to all clubs at some point and this kind of specific decision happened regularly before VAR. If you think we haven't been screwed by VAR, go take a look at the Harry Kane goal that was disallowed v Sheffield United a few years ago. The most farcical decision I've ever seen on a football pitch. It happens albeit I have sympathy for Liverpool and I wholeheartedly agree that this should result in a review of VAR to ensure it can't happen again. If that comes out of this, it'd be great.

Here's where people have a problem with Liverpool. There has been constant whinging since Saturday about it. The sort of whinging I didn't hear from Wolves against United and don't hear from Brentford about yesterday. You can say it's a different "wrong decision" but all 3 have potentially had a material impact on the result and are all clearly wrong. You'd swear Liverpool were the first club ever to suffer a bad decision. And if you look around this message board and social media, you'll see several explicit and inferred references to corruption by Liverpool fans. Like the VAR official would really make a call that obviously and demonstrably wrong on purpose. Poor fella is being vilified in front of the world for crying out loud. It was a mistake, a really bad one that shouldn't have happened. But corruption? Some people need to give their head a wobble.

I will add that I thought Klopp conducted himself brilliantly on Saturday. Made his point reasonably and very well. I also thought Liverpool were absolutely brilliant on Saturday when they went to 9. People saying "ah Spurs couldn't beat 9 men" do not understand how good Liverpool were with 9 in terms of how they defended their box, the effort they put in and their game management.

The obvious difference between this and all those other errors that everyone - including liverpool - have suffered in the past, is that in this case the officials knew it was wrong immediately, and didn't rectify it. That's new. It wasn't someone making a subjectively bad call, it was a mess up in communication that they could have immediately fixed, but chose not to. I don't think there's corruption, but it is a pretty unprecedented level of incompetence and bad judgement.

I don't see the point in getting so upset that fans are still talking/complaining about it 48 hours later, especially when it's an ongoing story with updates coming out every few hours (the most recent being that the PGMOL are split on whether or not they should release the audio).

That's a difference but, at the end of the day, it results in the same thing. A wrong call that potentially materially impacts the game. If I was a Brentford fan yesterday, I'd be as enraged as I would be if I was a Liverpool fan on Saturday. That non-award of a penalty beggared belief.

The difference you've highlighted doesn't justify the reaction and it doesn't justify the paranoia about corruption.

IMO the difference is more than that. Subjective errors will always happen. There will always be awful calls we don't agree with. But systems and process failures on this level should not be able to occur at this stage. It wasn't a bad decision on the football, it wasn't a mistake in subjective reasoning - the officials looked at it, saw that the goal was indeed perfectly fine, and then knowingly allowed the game to continue with the wrong scoreline. it was a fundamental failure of the system to do its most basic function.

I don't personally agree with the corruption allegations either - but ultimately that will always happen in some quarters when an information vacuum is left. The way the PGMOL have slowly meted out information piece by piece over the course of 2 days has invited criticism and allegations. That's on them. There's been no chance for this to blow over as there's a new piece of information every couple of hours.

And so what if fans are still annoyed after being screwed over in an entirely new and unfathomable way. What skin off your nose is that? Who cares? I'd have no problem with Brentford fans being pissed off for a few days either, that was also an atrocious call.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement