Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

At least we have formally requested the audio, hopefully PMGOL issue it and then it will clarify that their statement matches what happened.

If for some reason that they don't realise it, then things are likely to spiral into all sorts of conspiracy theories....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Hurt feelings because someone on the internet thinks Spurs aren't a big club? Supporters of a big club would brush that off and move on. Chin up kiddo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Feelings aren't hurt at all buddy. Whether we are a big club or a small one or somewhere in between, we're still the same club I've been supporting for 40 years and I'll be doing likewise until the day my arse no longer looks south.

Spurs fans are used to that nonsense. It's why we don't fabricate conversations (https://www.facebook.com/LiverpoolFCvsManchesterUtdOBP/posts/man-united-fans-you-have-never-won-the-premier-league-liverpool-fans-we-have-won/1510010169155064/) or create all these memes to show football didn't start in 1992 because we're upset United are a bigger club than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

This is actually a pathetic pathetic excuse just like the rest of them. In this scenario if you are VAR and see that no goal has been given at that point just shout in the refs ear that it was a goal. It's not like the VAR cannot communicate with the ref and tell him this. He chose not to, it is the simplest little mistake to clear up and yet here we are instead. That's not incompetence, that is corruption. The VAR chose not to give the goal for whatever reason despite absolutely having the chance to on multiple occasions and yet for the Jones tackle for example VAR makes sure to shout at the ref to go to the monitor where the ref is treated to basically just the still photo we all know looks bad. This is beyond incompetence.

What do you think was the motive for the corruption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Facebook next you will be quoting stuff from twitter lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

My main takeaway from Saturday is that Klopp's Liverpool 2.0 are the real deal. A lot of leaders in that side again. Matip Gomez Allison Szlobozai Salah etc etc. And that's just one game.

And Klopp himself played another blinder with tactical shifts with 9 and 10 men. A 96th minute deflection OG stopped us going away to Spurs (who are unbeaten and winning most games this year) and taking a point with 9 men and screwed by refereeing decisions.

Making the pitch narrow with 10 contain Spurs that way, but also having the counter attack pace. Then making the pitch tiny with 9. Spurs could only pass sideways and couldn't penetrate vertically. So compact. Also the Jota sub was very bold and shows what he wants, even when down to 10. To score goals. To attack. The bold brave Klopp is back. Liverpool are back. We are in a title race so strap yourselves in.

Spurs enjoyed Saturday, I'm sure we'll be enjoying a lot more of the season after the next 8 months.

You sound even more upset now. Quoting random sh*te Facebook pages proves what exactly? Would it help if everyone on here agreed to call Spurs a big club whether they believe it or not? How about that? Or, you know, you could just accept people might have a different view to your own?

Ah stop, how do I sound upset?

I couldn't care less whether you count Spurs a big club or not. But the original poster threw it out there as a pathetic insult quoting stuff from the last 20 years. My point was, you do that, you can make a case that City and Chelsea are much bigger clubs than Liverpool. You go back 140 years, you'd have to say that Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday are two of the biggest clubs in England. Point being, it's a stupid argument to begin with because there is no definition of what a big club is.

Ok, so not upset and don't care about big club/small club designation? Got it. What's the story with the Facebook link you threw up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Yes time to actually focus on the teams performance rather than the shambolic one of the officials as noting can be down about that. Fully agree, I wasn't sure what to think going into this game, because although we have had great results lately, some performances have only been 50/50 at best, but Saturday was really impressive. Spurs had been in great from up to this and I though we made them look ordinary in that first half, scoring 2 goals against them with 10 men! The Gakpo injury was a big turning point, not just because his replacement got sent off, but Gakpo is a just so good at coming deep to receive the pass, avoiding the tackle and getting us going forward quickly again. That is a huge asset when you have only 10 men as he can often take 2/3 players out of the game with the quick turn of pace. Jota is just not that type of player and is not comfortable coming deep to receive the ball with his back towards goal, that effective passing lane was gone for us from the start in the 2nd half. If Gakpo stayed fit and on the field I'm not only convinced we would have won a point but we would have created chances at the other end too. Lets not forget that Diaz missed a sitter at the end of the first half to.

It's a "story" I've received via Whatsapp from Liverpool fans before to try and make the point that the 1st Division titles are worth as much as Premier League titles. And it's some pile of shite to be reading. But Liverpool fans, in general, get more upset about that than the likes of us getting grief about "no trophies" or "you're a small club" or whatever.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It's so weird this has become a Spurs Liverpool thing, I don't think any Liverpool fans felt like this was at all a Spurs thing, just a complete **** show from the refs, that was so lobsided it leaves room to doubt the integrity of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

This. So, so many positives to take from the game. Even the controversy (which I'm still pissed off about) should galvanise the lads, give us the old siege mentality. We lost three points this weekend but that performance, and what we take from it, should earn us points in future matches

You'd want to get some funnier mates if they're sending you that sh*te. Don't think I've ever heard anyone say Liverpool is not a big club tbh. Literally don't think I've ever heard it. Sure some comments before they won a PL but who cares?, it's usually lads on a wind-up. You debating them is what makes you sound upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

To add to the perfect storm;

- the decision was made abnormally quick.

- lines were not drawn/shown to the tv audience. How many times ovet the previous seasons were goals were allowed/disallowed for marginal offside/onside and lines were NOT drawn?

- why was the error not communicated with the ref?? Even if the tv audience was shown with the lines drawn, communication could have reached the players or ref.

- 3 match officials worked for and got paid handsomely by our biggest rivals just 2 days prior.

You could definitely sense something was off watching the game in real time. The game restarted very quickly and without us being informed of the var decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Absolutely, Spurs had nought to do with anything. They’re just the ones who happened to benefit from the refs unprecedented fck up.

why any spurs folks would be getting their back up over this (or why any pool fans would take it out on spurs) i’ve no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Untill VaR is implemented like the rugby equivalent it won't be fit for purpose...it's not a big jump from where it is,and will improve the game imo..use it for any incident,diving, asking for cards, pulling jerseys in the box.. obviously for stuff which leads to goals or deprives of goals...it won't be hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Ah now its a corruption nonsense come now. Something is wrong with VAR (how many times have they apologized now this season) and the FA and premier League need to step up and sort it. This was not the first game they got it wrong with a goal. Arsenal had 1 I think it was this season or last where they issued an apology. Nothingham Forest. There has been loads its not just us. A major reworking of VAR is needed. A simple one has has been said on this thread is to communication yes or not not a goal, yes or no offside not stick with your call.

Something is wrong with VAR in the English game not just for any particular game. I think Liverpool's statement of we are taking this as far as we can was just wrong. What do they expect to happen the game is over the points are wrong. Its smacks of the Ireland as the 33rd team IMO. Yes a statement generally about VAR and it needing an overhaul but not the statement they put out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Well the game is over we aint getting anything from it. VAR on the other hand is broken in the English game and needs 1 major overhaul

Rugby is not 4 hours long and they come to decisions much much more quickly then soccer. When I heard VAR was coming in I hoped they would take a look at other sports and how its implemented but alas they went it alone.

Just a general question does anyone know how VAR is going in other soccer leagues outside of the UK

I exaggerate, but...

Top flight rugby games regularly last for an hour a half, for (in theory) a 40 minute half. The games are very different, rugby by nature is very stop/start, and with rucks and mauls etc, the referee is usually pretty close to the action, within preaching distance of the 20 odd players in and around the pile of players wrestling for the ball.

They are very different.....there is no doubt the soccer VAR can improve a lot, but a ref standing in middle of the pitch watching the big screen is probably not the best way to do it.

Personally, where there is VAR, I'd have someone in the booth, not necessarily one of the EPL referee club, but someone clued into the tech and who knows the rules, and who oversees the refs, and can stop the game and just say 'OK John', you missed that handball there on that attack, that should be a penalty, and remove the call from the on field ref. Have them working as a team of 5 or 6 or whatever if that's what's required, but this thing of having to have an on field referee in his 50s in the booth makes little sense, the skill sets are different.

As it stands, it's adding nothing to the game and needs a shaking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

They use it in the Champions League, Europa League and there is rarely issues and it does not stop/start the game n times. Introduce foreign refs, to be honest I would have a team of rugby referees at this point even if they do not know the rules as at least we will know the logic for their decisions😂

• Advertisement

LOL! No it won't happen to us this year also. You think a team will score a perfectly good goal against us when they are down to 10 men and that that goal will be disallowed? Good one!!!

People have complained on here about posters pointing out similar tackles to the one Mac got a red for and so on but it literally happens all the time. It is a theme with us the past few years. The evidence is there to be seen. We get the red and then everyone else gets yellow for the same offence. It happens week after week.

P.s. that rule about not being able to go back and award the goal after the free is taken is the biggest load of crap I ever heard by the way. I can understand not going back for a throw in or corner or something but a goal is different.

Aaaahhh you're a Utd fan?? Why didn't you just say so...now everything you're saying makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Jota's wife .

Clever girl, they can't ban the wife or fine her. MacAllister needs to take note ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The not going back thing is stupid. If the goal had been corrected at a break in play within a few minutes, it would barely have got mentioned in the media today. And if it did, it would be to commend them on having the balls and common sense to correct a brain freeze moment.

Hawkeye didn't award a clear point to Galway shortly before half time in the All Ireland S/F against Derry last year. Croke Park had the cop to just give Galway the extra point at half time and retire Hawkeye for the rest of the game. No uproar.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

My personal favourite "minor" reffing **** up was when Gravenberch was on the break against 1 spurs defender i think and the ref blew it up for a liverpool free back outside our own box. Anyone wanna bet we lose the league by 1 point again this year?? Something like this happened us every year we lost the league by 1 point or goal difference or whatever to city.

It's why I'm not really bothered with football anymore and only watch our games. Once you see the endemic corruption it's hard to unsee and watch as normal. Saudi owning a league and a team in the premier league simultaneously for example is open to all sorts of corruption. Does anyone think it's a coincidence they bid for almost all our squad this summer?

This must be how the bribe gets paid. Hire them for some job and pay them loads to do it so it looks legit. Kinda like how all the ex US presidents go round and give talks at all the big companies that they worked for while president and getting paid millions for these talks.

I still dunno how Gomez didn't get a pen that has been brushed under the carpet

Look, we need to move on, there is a game Thursday and it can't come quick enough.

We were shafted, let the noise rattle about but the team and squad including the coaches have to park it and concentrate on what's what.

We played very well on Saturday. We didn't let the refereeing effect us, we had some brilliant performances, not least Gomez and Matip who have gotten some critism. Gomez has given us a good base in Trents absence, he's a good player and has contributed a lot this season already. The mobility of the middle 3 has been a big improvement, and Jones even while on the field kept up his high levels. We were a threat, and created several half chances on the break with 10 men, and even with 9 we were still trying to break, maybe too much. And Allison.... What a fvckin player

The attitude was the biggest take away, and I think the lads can take this performance and use the sh1t surrounding the game to drive them on for the season - I'm not saying it's gonna drive us on to won the league, but it'll drive us on to win the league 😎

We should move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

From Reddit, if true I can understand why they’d appeal the Jones card. Unlikely they’d extend it anyway.

Or he needs to post another tweet quickly as sadly the rules are that once the next tweet is tweeted nothing can be done about the previous tweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Yes I remember it. Twice late in the game the ref played advantage to Liverpool for fouls on their players, but when it looked like Liverpool might gain too much an advantage, he pulled it back for the free instead. If anyone can explain this I'm all ears.

I see now PGMOL are apparently divided on releasing the audio. Probably waiting on Calvin Harris to get his act together and chop up a remix first 🙄

Yep, deal with it there and then, don't just sit on your hands and say nothing. Props to the guy with the headphones, who bundled his

way on to the stage to grab that card and say '' give me a look at that card'

• Advertisement

I was thinking leagues and forgot those others. I think Carragher was saying the same in relation to foreign refs. Also the rules in relation to some things like handballs are different in Europe maybe more straight forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,678 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The only thing that stands out when talking about Spurs is in 2016 they were in a 2 horse race for the title and came 3rd 😷😷

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The last thing that will improve VAR is more VAR.

It should be done away with entirely.

It's ruined the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Nice match summary from 442oons 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

😝 you know anything about football?

Have a read about that year then .... Or just trot out a fairy tale.

Spurs were never top of the league... And finished 10 points ahead of liverpool !! 😂 😂 😂 😀

Why are you lot hating Spurs? The club had nothing to do with Howard Webbs refs fcuking up... But go ahead ... We dont care.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

One thing I've learned about Spurs fans during the fallout from this latest VAR shambles is how sensitive they are to even the mildest slight. I know they've had a rough ride of it in recent years but good god. "We are a big club". "Actually we finished ahead of Liverpool a few years ago", "OMG, why do you hate us?". Tragic stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Football fans from all of the higher profile teams are precious in one way or another. Not all fans by a long way, but many, especially online. Real generalisations, but here you go:

Liverpool fans and man utd fans are fairly similar in their "everyone hates us" thinking. Both deny this of course.

Newcastle fans have given it lots of "They only object to the Saudis because it's us" over the last year.

Arsenal/Spurs/Chelsea fans are precious about being ignored when they aren't doing well, and get very noisy when they start doing well.

Man City fans "it's all a conspiracy against us because we're the bestest!!!"

I'm sure there are plenty of other generalisations I could have made to offend fans of other clubs too, but I'll stop there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Why are you making wild sweeping generalisations ?? I didnt mention us being a big club?

I was replying to the dude that trotted out the fairy story, and then to add context , i then stated the FACT that Spurs finished ahead of liverpool in the example he used to try insult Spurs.... 😜

Your tears since saturday are the tragedy ... 😂

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Lol!

Pathetic.

I’ve never heard such moaning from a group of fans.

Just get on with it, stop embarrassing yourself, and concentrate on the tough game you have coming up against Brighton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭golfball37

Mod: Post Deleted, trolling/flaming.

Post edited by artanevilla on

Advertisement