Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Daughter is 21 today.

She didn’t want a party so we came away to Valencia for the weekend just the four of us. It’s been a great weekend, much hotter than expected, 33c today.

Back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Very few. I think I saw one.

Mushrooms, half animal, half plant..I think they're like ourselves they don't like it too wet. They especially like the soil after a drought, when a drought breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A good friend asked me for a favour several weeks ago - drive with the jeep & flat trailer to near Castleisland in Co. Kerry to collect a item for them. The item was bulky but not heavy. He doesn't have a trailer license and it was going to cost him €350 + VAT to get it transported with a trucking company. I told him that I would do it when I got a free day and he agreed to pay for the diesel and feed me. We headed off this morning after 10am. The only hick up we had was traffic delays in Adare both ways. Why on earth isn't there a bypass at this stage considering it's a major route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The councillors in Limerick must be incredibly poor.

The lack of Road infrastructure is astonishing compared to other counties.

The N20 is one of the busiest roads in the country but remains a single carriage way throughout nearly all of its route in Limerick, compared to the new N5 bypass in Castlebar which has little traffic but must be near 20km of a recent dual carriageway upgrade.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note; a few posts have been deleted as they concern a current court case. Boards policy is not to comment on such issues, thanks for your understanding on this one.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭straight

There are great roads around Limerick city and most of the N20 is in cork. It is a disgrace of a road but the best part of it is in Limerick like the croom bypass. The lack of an adare bypass is affecting the Kerry lads more than most. No harm in slowing down those lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Limeirck is currently undergoing a pharmaceutical boom, the roads don't match it though.

Limerick is arguably the best city in the country for job opportunities right now, but other counties appear to have better road investment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Most road projects are political - the crazy expensive dual carriageway they are building from Westport to Castlebar being a prime example of a "Pork Barrel" project. Its like something connecting LA to San Francisco🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We came back from dinner out and the Hotel had left a bottle of champagne in her room. They must scan through guest DOB for any birthdays. Very nice touch. We started the day with champagne too as they have bottles out with breakfast every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Problem is getting over the river Maigue, which requires a 200m+ bridge. It's already underway, it will just take time.

Green light for Foynes to Limerick Road (including Adare Bypass) project | ROD

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What’s a good welder to learn on. Won’t be doing anything big

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Bought a lock of ewes in Kerry off dung deal, arranged to collect them last August bank holiday Monday afternoon.

Going through adare was slow but miles of tail back coming opposite direction with little or no movement.

Decided to avoid adare on way home and headed via coast /Dock Road.

A Dublin reg passat towing a caravan went on fire and the emergency services closed the road.

Sometimes you just can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Re the village dairy milk. My father reckons it ruins a cup of tea i think it makes it.

Better living everyone

What kind of set up have you got? Have you got a workshop set up where youll be doing all the work or will you be bringing the welder to the work? If its going to be in a workshop setup a MIG one would be the best it will cost a bit more to set up between getting a gas bottle hired though. If youre wanting to tip away around the yard a handy MMA (stick)welder would be the better option.

Is there any etbs or welding classes running near you? Would be worthwhile dropping in on one of them to get a feel for it be shown how to do it. Im doing one myself on Saturdays in Dublin and there is fellas including myself travelling well over an hour to attend it its that worthwhile. At least there you could get a feel for both MIG and MMA before investing.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

It’ll all be complete in time for 2027, Shame the Ryder cup was delayed because no doubt that would have got it going quicker.

Stick is a bit trickier to get in on too tbf. Another bit of advice id give on buying a welding shield buy a true colour type shield im using an esab savage 40 the entry level model in that range. Its night and day the difference between true colour and the old style shields. As well as seeing the pool a lot clearer you can see the heat affected zone as well as the work piece too. Ive only used that shield on TIG but id imagine tis as good across all welding processes

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

Has anyone built a slatted shed recently? We had an inspection recently; as we store dung outside they want it either roofed or effluent catch tank put in. They hinted at it a few years ago but are now being more forceful about a solution.

Cattle are currently wintered on straw but have access to a small haggard that's been partially concreted. They come and go as they please, on dry cold days they'll happily lie outside on the grass(muck after a few weeks) and come in for feed and at night. Because they can access concreted area, same leads to dungsted, we would have to calculate the effluent tank to reflect the concreted area also. By the time I do that, I'll need a tank similar to a three bay slatted tank, and most of it potentially filled with rainwater. If I'm doing all that, I may as well fire up the shed as well.

There was a suggestion of using the hayshed to pile the muck in as a simple/quick solution, but that'll make piling it and getting it out painful. The straw bedding alone is enough hardship without that.

Post edited by Suckler on

• Advertisement

I see the details of Biofarm 2023 are announced.

Jim Cronin and Klaus Laitenberger must have shares in NOTS. 😄

Hopefully some more new speakers.

Wexford/Carlow's own Kevin O Hanlon announced too.

And no online recordings this year. You are either at the hotel in Limerick or you are not.

I've questioned whether it'll be recorded, they may and release the recordings later or the following year. If not, then it's a sh1t decision. I understand why they'd do it but frankly it denies access to information for people who can't travel due to their circumstances.

Yea I really don't know if I'd be able to make it or not. It depends more on who else is announced too.

Only thing is you won't ever find a room where there'd be more like yourself in the country. I think last year was a bit sparse in attendance and they kind of want to get the buzz back.

I'd rather it was recorded too.

I was only at Biofarm 2019 and to be fair it was good, but my own circumstances have changed dramatically in terms of nights away. I think the sparse attendance last year shows exactly what the target market wants. If, for example, there were practical things going on I'd understand the in person importance but no more than the Organic Production Principles course, so much stuff CAN be done online but isn't, for reasons I'd seriously question.

I'm enrolled in an Australian biofert foliar class/course online for this and next month. It's pricey enough and there's only twenty learners/students but I suppose it gives the coordinaters more control and allows each to ask questions and answer. But from Australia to a farmer in Ireland live online. It shows what can be thought of and done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m guessing you can’t get into the hayshed with a tractor and loader? That’d make clearing the dung out easier.

Three-bay slatted shed could be done in two parts - tank and slats first, then put the shed over it in 2 years time. That’s if cashflow stops you doing the whole lot in one go. At least you’d have the slurry storage aspect sorted.

Prices vary for sheds. I put a shed over an old silage slab last year. Approx 4 bays long and 5m wide. No concrete work apart from around the pillars. Cost €22k incl VAT. If I had to dig out a tank and put slats on it, I’m guessing it’d €35-40k. That’d be my ball-park estimate for what you’re talking about

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Yeah, I'm doing compost stuff over Whatsapp, text, photos, video and there was a 2 day meet up of which I could only get to one day. Honestly I find travel serious dead time, unless it's for something exceptional or plainly impossible unless in person. For example, try smelling something over the internet 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

200m long bridge....?? the maigue aint exactly the Amazon... if i was coming into Adare i would go left at roundabout.. go passed the woodlands.. take next right.. then the next right and ya come out at the other side of the village.. tis a bit longwinded but at least your moving the whole time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

I've priced some pre-cast tanks as part of the first requirement for yard effluent collection; 8000 gallon coming in around 10k each; three of those is nearly bang on your 35-40k by the time I'd dug out, backfilled and concreted around for hardstand areas etc.

The steel cost is very helpful 👍️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think the NOTS recordings will be released a month after the event. Will go both days if possible, it's driveable for me, no overnight. The Oxford Real Farming Conference seem to be able to combine both online and in person. 4th and 5th Jan 2024. Tickets on sale next week.

Advertisement