Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

100% it is victim blaming but many will see being in at the side as you "letting them through". The videographer moves out straight after to where they should have been the whole time. This in no way excuses the bus driver though, there is no room for error or hitting a bump in the road there. I'd be straight into the draft to follow them to their next stop and ask was there really a need for it.

Local bus pulled in on top of me half way through overtaking, I slammed on the brakes thankfully and the rear end pulled across me with 10cm to spare. I continued on, calling in to him that it was hardly worth it as I passed. Anyway, getting to the train and the bus is parking up, I decide to approach the driver, calmly, no shouting. He apologised profusely, admitted fault. He hadn't planned to pull in at all and as he was passing me a passenger started screaming to stop and he messed up. Very apologetic and said he was glad I had the where with all to haul my brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

100%; chatted to 3 secondary school lads this morning in an effort to give them the same advice. Cycling inside in the gutter and cars squeezing through. An accident waiting to happen.

Drivers should be shot for squeezing past 3 teenagers, but it's an open invite for clowns to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not me, but jesus christ where do we get our Gardai from

And a good thread as to why what's reasonablly perceived as the Gardai basically not caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's frustrating how little of a **** they give about private motorists in bus lanes. And then have the nerve to veto initiatives like cameras on buses on the basis of "it's our job to enforce". Not asking that they spend all their time on it but they could at least go after the low hanging fruit when it's dangled in their face. A good example is the bus lane on the Chapelizod road between Islandbridge and Parkgate Street. The 26 is regularly delayed by about 15 mins by bus lane blockers in the morning and I've often seen marked Garda cars just sitting there like idiots in the traffic jam for the same length of time when they could have used that time to hand out a few tickets and clear out the lane and get moving in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

In relation to the first twitter post, given the guys comments and his belief that he was 100% correct to "marshall" the driver out of the bus lane I wouldn't be inclined to believe his version of the Gardai's response.

I believe it, many having heard it before. I think several have been warned they coul be charged with a variety of things for the audacity to curse as they were run off the road.

No matter what the guy did before or after what you see in that clip, there is no excuse for the Gardai to brush it off with a threat in order for them to basically get out of doing a bit of work related to road traffic.

It's like dealing with kids, daddy, Johnny hit me, well you made a face at him first didn't you.

I'd hazzard a guess that a reasonable proportion of regulars here have come up against a Garda working harder to put you off following up on a complaint than actually following up on your complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

A threat or advice ? I have no legal background so feel free to correct me, but would it be the case that once the video evidence is submitted along with a statement the Gardai are obliged to follow up on any other illegal acts that the footage shows ? The clip shows the driver is clearly in the wrong, but what else happened before that or how did the cyclist behave when they decided to block traffic and "marshall" the driver back out of the bus lane ?

I'm sure the driver and their solicitor would insist that the cyclist be charged with any offences they may have committed in the full footage.

Perhaps he was done the favor of being advised of the legal action he might face if the evidence was submitted, and given the choice of pursuing it or dropping it. Or maybe, as some have suggested he was threatened with retaliation for making the Gardai do their job. I've had limited experience with the Gardai in my life, but I've never been given the impression that they would rather make threats against me than do their duty.

Just my 2 cents based on the info I saw in the linked post.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Except they don't act on "any other illegal act". They ONLY act on whatever they can do to discourage this person from making future reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

This tweet is an invaluable resource which deals both with how to make a report formally to the Gardai that your local Garda can't stop, and how to mitigate against incriminating yourself (which can be used as leverage to prevent you taking the process further).

My personal golden rule is - never react. Don't swear, don't change your course, don't go after whomever wronged you and definitely don't talk to them. Just carry on, and report it. Any and all vigilantism can be used against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Its a fair question - I'd normally be pushing 70kmph going down there. It's a safe descent - good visibility, good surface, virtually no cornering and no road furniture. If you're familiar with that section you'll be aware of potential gusts from the sea. But given the consistent weather conditions I didn't have any qualms. I knocked the speed off and was really only pedalling for balance and control - I find that a handy technique in windy conditions. There's a sweet spot between going to fast and too slow in gusty weather - often a bit of speed helps to quickly correct. Hence pulling the speed back to about 50. But it doesn't really matter how slow you're going, if a strong gust hits you you'll likely deviate from your line by a foot or so. If I'd been hit by that car due to a gust, it wouldn't have been my speed that caused it.

Obviously can't comment on this case as I don't know the person in question and there's all sorts of reasons why at any given moment you might find yourself tight to the verge, but that's a classic example of inexperienced cycling style. Same with descending on the brakes (to a degree) and passive moving off from junctions (Stop signs, lights, roundabouts etc.). The common denominator is that a lot of drivers will see it as an invite to bully you out of the way. It's not at all a case of taking an aggressive cyclist -v- motorist approach. There's nothing wrong with being assertive where you have right of way. There's also nothing wrong with being inexperienced and 'learning on the job' - we've all been there and done that - it shouldn't lead to being driven off the road.

It's not the case they are obliged. They have discretion to do so but they often claim things that you wouldn't get charged for.

On the subject of roads policing, a funny one just a few minutes ago on my bus commute this morning... a Roads Policing Garda car signalled for the "out of service" Dublin Bus in front of mine to pull over. Bus did so, just before the lesson street/ waterloo road junction driving northbound. As the Garda pulled in behind him, directly in front of my bus, I noticed the lights for us going red and a number of cars continue on through them regardless. Including my bus which - as we were stationary and I was looking at the red light thinking a) what a stupid place to get the bus to pull in, b) I can't believe people are ploughing through a red light despite the presence of a Garda car with flashing lights who has just pulled someone over, and c) I can't believe the Garda notices nothing - proceeded to manoeuvre off from stationary to get around the Garda car and casually drive straight through the junction for which he had (for at least the last 10 seconds) a red light. The red light all these vehicles were driving through was a pedestrian crossing, which by the time our bus passed through had already turned amber.

The mind actually boggled.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

A few years ago I was cycling through Glasnevin. In this bus lane a Garda car was meekly waiting behind several drivers illegally using the bus lane during its hours of operation:

The vehicle in front of the Garda car was a tipper truck. The lights went green and we all moved off

This is the next junction:

The driver of the tipper truck wanted to turn left, but the bus in the right lane was partially encroaching on the left lane. No problem, he just drives up onto the footpath and around the bus, literally right in front of the Garda car. No reaction from the Gardai whatsoever.

I've had encounters with the police in several European countries (alas, I am not the bad boy that this makes me out to be) and when it comes to road traffic law enforcement at least, the Gardai are an impotent shower of gobshites. The Knocknagoshel Tidy Towns committee would be more effective.

On the NCR at Stoneybatter one afternoon I had the green light when driving but a car coming from my right went through through their red. At the other side of the junction from me was Garda car, so the red light breaker, who I had to stop for, done so directly infront of the Garda car who also had a green.

But amazingly they weren't bothered. As I was pretty much stopped in the middle of the junction I rolled down my window and gave the international WTF gesture.

Only then, and begrudgingly so, did they turn around. The car had slipped down a small lane as if they were trying to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Dunno who let the mouth breathers out of their cages today, but two punishment passes in succession followed by laying on the horn to tell me there’s a cycle lane on the Alfie Byrne road (which is blocked off at multiple points due to construction), despite there being plenty of room to overtake me without having to cross the line.

Caught up to both at the lights who quickly put their windows up and just kept saying “use the cycle lane”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Nothing to do with me but this happened yesterday morning I believe on Stocking Avenue in case anyone spotted anything.

A good result, though taking 2 years is insane

• Advertisement

Well I disgraced myself today, coming through Dun Laoghaire and maybe 200m ahead there were some kids crossing. Car just after overtaking sped up and laid on the horn intentionally. I thought to myself, what a dick. They'd looked, there was time to cross and he just didn't like it.

A few seconds later, as I passed the kids, something snapped, so I went up the road, sat on his bumper, and when traffic stopped I went to his window, let a smack of it, told him if I seen his car aim for kids again I'd rip him out of his car and beat him to death. Worst thing was I could not only hear him curse me but also the kids. I was in the wrong but he genuinely believed he wasn't in the wrong.

And before it's said, I fully understand I was in the wrong and deserve a day in court for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well hopefully you’ve made him think about it a bit. What a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Nah - fúck that guy in the car.

More people should have the balls to say what you said to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Not one for being the baying mob.

But that driver should be suspended at least.

Wait till he reports it, Garda will probably charge him for going on the pavement to talk to the driver.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nothing will happen to the driver unless the Gardai do something. The internal process is toothless

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That is disgusting from the Bus Driver. Absolute wuss then when confronted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This has gone a bit viral as Jeremy Vine, the BBC lad, has tweeted it. It's northbound through drumcondra at the Griffith avenue junction. Not a stellar performance by either party.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

On first look That's shambolic cycling if you ask me. He cycled into an already turning vehicle. On second look it's shambolic driving. They're both shite

Advertisement