Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭griffin100

There has been London Weighting in place in the UK for a century. It's under pressure at the minute due to hybrid working but the fact remains if you want low to middle salaried essential public sector workers to work in Dublin the additional costs of living in the Capital need to be recognized. It'll never happen though because of the usual 'one for everyone in the audience approach' that we take to public sector pay in this country. Once one cohort get something everyone else wants something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭AyeGer

It’s the parents that have to pay to send their children off to college in one of the cities, with rent etc. It’s a cost city PS workers don’t face. Imo it negates the cost of living argument made by Dublin PS workers. As their children can go to college and still live at home. Saving them the cost of sending 3 or 4 kids to college.

I know people who have remortgaged their house to raise funds to send children to University in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭bren2001

I am yet to see a family who, due to working in the Public Sector, are obliged to send their kids to University in Dublin. It's conflating two separate issues and is of no relevance to the argument for a Dublin allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Given that real wages in the PS have fallen by 10-11% during the last two years or so, surely there is a need for real wages to rise back up?

That 10-11% excludes the impact of the rise due this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

It still shouldn't apply. The housing costs of children of employees are not the employer's responsibility.

You're also assuming all Dublin kids go to college in Dublin. I have friends with kids in college in NUIG, Carlow and the UK.

Don't students from further away from the colleges get higher grants anyway?

You could make an argument for an increase in SUSI grants for kids going to college in Dublin- something which may actually be achievable and more appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I think the point, re kids in college etc., is that a good chunk of public sector workers will not be entitled to grants for their kids to attend college. Living in a city (where there is a major 3rd level institution) is very financially beneficial to family finances.

If they're not entitled to grants, then they can make an argument for a higher ceiling in the means test. A living in Dublin allowance for employees, should not be extended to their children!

All this is getting totally away from what such an allowance would be meant for.

Its meant to attract staff to take up vacancies and work in Dublin.

Personally, I think it should strictly be a "rent allowance" and only go to those working in Dublin, and paying Dublin rental prices. Which also means I wouldn't get it!

Post edited by Ezeoul on

I’m against a Dublin allowance and would leave my union if one was introduced with their cooperation.

The argument for one seems to be based on so called cost of living differences. Ie higher mortgage / rent costs. I’ve outlined above the cost of education many rural public servants face. This can amount to a very significant cost when multiple children are involved.

People disagree with that stance and that’s fine. But I hold that position very strongly. No Dublin allowance as far as I’m concerned.

It would not be introduced based soley on cost of living differences, even though it is already recognised that everything costs more in Dublin.

It would be introduced based on the obstacle that is the cost of rental accommodation in the greater Dublin area, and the difficulty of recruiting and retaining staff due to that higher cost - which is becoming more and more pronounced.

As I said, I am in favour of an allowance paid to assist with rent, rather than a "Living in Dublin" allowance.

I wouldn't qualify for it, even though I live and work in Dublin, because I already have a house and don't have to rent.

But I don't see it as any skin off my nose if someone else does get it, so they can afford to rent a place to live here.

But it would be your vote, to use as you see fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭bren2001

There's no need to worry. It ain't coming in. It ain't even being proposed.

It's perfectly logical. Same reason people in Dublin get paid more then people in Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

Can we bring this back on topic? The upcoming pay talks, if starting later this month, what do people think is likely, over what duration, and what's your ŕeasoning for thinking so.

A Dublin allowance is not going to be part of these pay talks so is not relevant to this discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

You'd leave your union out of spite that others severely struggling financially in Dublin may get a small allowance to assist them? Are people in the UK leaving their unions because others a given a London Allowance? You seem to be an awful petty and spiteful person.

In the end it's absolutely nothing to do with you or your union. It's the responsibility of the politicians to provide services for the ENTIRE country and this is not fully happening in areas like education and health in Dublin (the country which provides 60% of the country's wealth in taxes) due to staff shrtages with teachers, nurses and others emigrating or leaving Dublin due to the high cost of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭spark_tank

I expect 7-7.5% over 2 years is all we can really expect. They'll probably have to give a once off payment to get it over the line.

Feb 2024 3% + a once off payment

Oct 2024 1%

Feb 2025 2.5%

Oct 2025 1%

I think they know that a lot of people will fall for the once off payment.

The government might push for a 3 year deal and make it ~8.5%.

Climate change is in the top 3 issues families are worrying about right now?

FFS

If there is a budget in October 2024, I would expect a general election straight after that. I don't think they will wait until January or February 2025. Waiting to February 2025 has the advantage of people seeing any tax changes in their pay slips.

I don't see them doing a three year deal, doing tbr dirty work for the next government isn't going to be appealing. Hence why I could see a 18 month or max 24 month deal.

I would also see it being front loaded to gain benefits in polls and election time. Also, an 18 month deal, would mean the next government having to negotiate with Unions in a matter of a few months in government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Would you like to compare the costs paid out to get the housing in Dublin in the first place? And compare the costs for all the years that there are no students in universities?

You can't expect to be living on a bit of road frontage up Mammeh's bohreen and have a university on your doorstep as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Greenlamp21

I'd like a Luas in Cork, you are correct in saying it is the government's responsibility to provide services for the ENTIRE country.

Dublin is expensive, Cork is expensive, I'm sure Limerick and Waterford are expensive. Will there be a tiered system introduced, I fully agree with the poster who mentioned college costs for kids, I'm grateful I live in a city with superb 3rd level education and that's not an expense I have to worry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

You don't need a LUAS in Cork. The place is tiny and barely a city at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I spent most of my life living in Dublin.i know exactly what the transport system is like. Eve at 2 busses, it's 2 busses more than I have.

Nowhere did I say a university should be up every boreen. I pointed out the cost of sending children to Dublin or Galway to study.

Anyway it’s not happening so maybe we should cease this discussion and get back to the upcoming pay talks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Create a new thread , it's not related to public pay talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Greenlamp21

Your ignorance shines throughout this page, good day to you Sir

If you lived in Dublin most of your life, it was obviously your choice to relocate to small rural village without even a bus service. No point complaining about it now.

I had a choice and we haven't looked back. My colleagues are from the area and have the same challenges.

Then be happy in your choice, instead of begrudging others who may get some help.

What makes think you deserve more living in Dublin than someone living outside?

This is pathetically off topic.

Your reasoning is even worse than I thought.

So a renter gets it but someone subject to higher interest rates on their mortgage doesn't 🤣

• Advertisement

Didn't you know that the State is not in the business of paying towards the purchase an asset?

It's why there is no mortgage assistance payment already, and why mortgage interest relief was only on the interest, not the principal. 🤣

Post edited by Ezeoul on

Advertisement