Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blower/ Heater resistor OEM part Scam?

• 01-10-2023 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

I have a Seat Ibiza, not NCT'd yet, so fairly new.

The heater resistor module went.

My part is not done by independents, those that do list it have no stock.

OEM part is 82 euro

This is for what boils down to a tapped wirewound resistor of around 2 Ohms, with what I would estimate as a dissipation of 30W. The entire thing is a ceramic former, wound with nichrome topped off with a thermal fuse. The only other component is a small plastic moulding to hold the connections which are shaped to become flat male connecting pins in order to mate with a four pin socket.

Amazon prices start at £5-00 for what is effectively the same configuration with a different plastic moulding. This is used in I think an Octavia, but these are in nearly every car.

The mean price seems to be around £14-00 which for a fuse and resistor is a bit steep.

Independents list my part at £37-00

So what's the game? The device is not designed with reliability in mind I would think as I only had one ever go before was in a Focus that had done over 100K miles.

The tolerances are pretty wide I would say as the moulding is needed for every one of these units and is determined by the mating connector and mechanical mounting.

Fair play to them it seems Seat have decided to supply me with a replacement part FOC, but it is of concern that such a price spread exists.

Does anyone know how such a spread is justified? Seat seem reluctant to go into detail :-)

Comments

Advertisement