Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Yeah your absolutely right they won the Bob O'Keeffe back in 2019 in probably his third season in charge, they beat carlow and drew with Dublin, Galway and Kilkenny along the way to that leinster final.

Pipping Dublin on scoring difference to qualify, not great but a win is a win, in what was poor leinster championship.

They lost the semi final to Tipp, a great achievement though 2019 was for Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭supernova5

Ran out of Clare,? he actually overstayed his welcome by at least 2 years, only rotten politics and nepotism kept him there so long

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭siyo

Sad to hear about Aussie but it's his life and if he doesn't feel he can give the commitment needed for intercounty that's his choice to make.

I often wonder did we see the best of his talents, he was incredible in 2015 and 2016 but injuries and ill discipline seemed to curtail him thereafter and he really only played in first and starts.

He probably scored two of the best individual goals I've ever seen Vs Cork in 14&17.

Best of luck to him and hopefully we see him in a Waterford shirt again.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

Paper of record!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A lot of players never came back from 'year outs'

Wouldn't surprise me to see some Ballygunner lads 'opt out' too. Few other lads are near 30 so never know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Thanks for the article wish Aussie all the best . To be honest not overly impressed with dereks ramblings there . Rested is one thing taking it to another level is another .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Best of luck to Aussie. Two games stick out in my mind, Cork two years ago in Walsh Park where he got sent off. He was targeted very much that day and took huge abuse from Cahalane (if memory serves me correctly). Remember thinking that day I wouldn't blame the lad for walking away from it with treatment like that.

Cork in 2017 with that exceptional goal. A few cork lads were in the stand behind me and it was constant talk about Waterford people being inbred etc. I'll always remember that feeling of the goal going in and them leaving early when they realised the game was up. Just pure magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Given all the barbs about dealing with baggage from the previous years, this is a some statement:

Speaking to Ian O’Connell’s “Stand Out” programme on Radio Kerry, the Waterford manager feels he shouldn’t have “forced” the 28-year-old to be part of the group in 2023.

Suffering hamstring injuries from the outset, Gleeson’s contribution was impacted and Fitzgerald concedes he should have acceded to his request to take a rest.

“For definite, he’s one of the best players I have seen over a number of years,” the Clare native said of the Mount Sion man. “His talent is incredible, but the big thing for me about Austin is he’s a really nice guy, he’s a good guy.

“We probably forced Austin back last year to be part of the panel and I don’t think Austin really wanted to be there himself. I think he needed a break and we forced him and the last thing you should do is force someone because you’re pushing them to do extra stuff, they get injured easier and I think you have to be 100% ready to go if you’re there.

“Austin has been around a long time and maybe I should have listened to him when he said he needed a break. Would I like him with us in Waterford? Of course. I’m not stupid, he’s a phenomenal talent but you need people really saying, ‘Yeah, I want to be here’.

“When you’ve a long time played and given the service that Austin has given, you listen to him, you have to listen to him and I did.” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭seananigans

forcing him on against laois dublin and antrim in the league because we couldn't win without him was galling, davy made a hames of the team and expected aussie to dig him out of a hole.

Post edited by seananigans on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

In that first match (2022), Aussie was about the only one taking the fight to Cork, despite the rough treatment he was getting (mainly off the ball). I think Cahalane was involved in Aussies second yellow. For the most part of the match, he was being blackguarded by the Cork No. 2 (O'Leary ?).

42nd Waterford Senior Ladies Titles in a row for Ballymacarby

Won 1-9-0-10 in ET over Comeragh Rangers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Ballygunner have to do another 33 in a row to beat this…🤣

one question. How many ladies Gaelic senior clubs are there in the county. Also have balkymacarby many all Ireland club titles…?

somthing like 10 munsters and 2 or 3 all irelands

they only won by 2 points, a goal was all that was in it, so seems it may be close to an end

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

• Registered Users Posts: 14,688 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

In fairness their last All-Ireland was 1998. The 15x Munster and 10x All-Ireland comment, although factual makes it sound like they're still dominant nationally!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

They are current Munster senior club champions. It was said they’d only won 2 or 3 All-Irelands, I was merely correcting the statement.

Yes, I mentioned their last All-Ireland..

Even at that - They haven’t gotten to an All-Ireland final at all since that 1998 win.

Really not a good track record in a sense of building on success of winning County! (Unless I’m mistaken and they play a different level to Senior now at Provincial/National level?)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Montys return

Sounds like you're not even sure what achievement you're trying to diminish here.

Let me clarify though, you're saying the team with the most all ireland wins in their code of any of the 4 club codes in Gaelic Games for both men & women does not have a good track record of building on County success?

Are you sure you don't want to reconsider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

no comment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

https://www.wlrfm.com/sport/bennett-and-kenny-back-on-deise-squad-327851

Some good news at least, Kieran Bennett and Ian Kenny looking like they’ll be available for next year. Talk also of Tadgh pushing to make a comeback but still a long way to go in his recovery I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

No mention of Shane Bennett, I take it he won’t be back. Is it true Callum Lyons and the two dalys won’t be around next year? Heard they were travelling although I think poor cathrach may have done his cruciate during the Club championship so he may have been struggling to make it back for next year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Fair play to Tadhg for trying to climb that mountain again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

its time to move on from Shane Bennett the man has no interest in intercounty hurling or hasn’t had for a number of years, the will he/wont he commit every year is tiresome

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Lingoweet913

Post deleted

Waterford SFC Quarter Finals

Brickey Rangers v Kilrossanty

Gaultier v The Nire

Ballinacourty v An Rinn

Rathgormack v Clashmore/Kinsalebeg

Relagation playoff- Stradbally vs Portlaw

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

There are on Clubber which is great for us that are away

• Advertisement

https://waterford-news.ie/2023/10/10/we-want-you-back-out-and-giving-us-everything/?fbclid=IwAR16HvaI3qGnLkZt109X_awr93qwXXdpkBWbSlgSezNJJmri1nqZCI4l69k

WE WANT YOU BACK OUT AND GIVING US EVERYTHING”

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 10, 2023

Facebook

Twitter

WhatsApp

Email

Davy Fitzgerald has appealed to the Déise public to get behind his team in larger numbers in 2024. Photo: Inpho.

Davy Fitzgerald has appealed to the Waterford public to get behind the hurlers in bigger numbers next season. The Clare man believes that his team can turn things around after exiting the Munster championship early in 2023.

“We’d be hoping to get more Waterford support out there and I genuinely mean that,” he told WLR’s Lár Na Páirce show. “I think the Waterford people are really good people. I know they’ve had a lot disappointment but so have a lot of counties. I believe that we can turn this and give it a right go. The less negativity you have around the better. Trust me, when you keep saying a team is poor, that won’t help anything. We need as much positivity as we can. I actually know that a lot of the Waterford public are good. We want you back out and giving us everything. Just be as positive as you can.”

The Déise bainsteoir thanked the diehard fans that turned out for the final round win against Tipperary. “There was 20,000 at the game, I think 2,000 were Waterford. I have to say they were incredible, it made such a difference. Listen, we work very hard. If you keep putting pressure on and keep knocking, that’s not going to help anybody. All I can assure you is we are absolutely killing ourselves. You have to remember that this our first term in as a management. When we hit that bad patch in the championship, we were hearing different stupid stuff. That’s not going to help anybody. We’re going to work for Waterford and I mean that. We’re going to work so hard.”

‘CONSISTENCY IS VERY IMPORTANT’

Fitzgerald admitted that they underperformed against Cork and Clare. “I think we need to learn and I think we have learned. Consistency over the last five or six years has been a big thing with Waterford. I think you can see that yourself with certain displays. I think we might have a better understanding of why that is and hopefully address that in the off season. Consistency is very important. The first time I got to experience it was in the middle of the championship last year. We played two bad halves. You can dress it up whatever way you want, that is fact. We played pretty decent against Limerick, should have got a result. Second half against Cork, I thought we were ok. First half, we were way off. In the second half against Clare, we were way off. Against Tipperary, that fight, that scrapping, even though we were missing a lot, that’s the kind of consistency we want to get into this team.”

He can’t wait to get stuck into the new campaign. “I’ll be honest, I’m really excited about the year ahead. I’m really excited about going to Walsh Park and having the people come out. Whether we win or lose, just know that we’re going to give everything. I’ve said this from day one: if after two or three years, I can’t make it happen, someone else will give it a go. Let’s try and be as positive as you can. I think that will give you a better chance of success.”

‘PLAYING IN WALSH PARK IS MASSIVE TO US’

The prospect of entertaining Cork and Tipperary at the redeveloped Walsh Park in next year’s provincial championship energises him. “We had no home games last year. Playing in Walsh Park is massive to us, absolutely massive. You know what, the clubs of Waterford and especially the county board should be so proud of what they’ve done. All I heard for a long time was knocking the county board for this, that and the other thing. I know Sean Michael O’Regan and how hard he works. He’s a really good person. Pat Flynn and all the lads work really hard and they deserve support. We have a savage stadium now. The bit of width makes an awful difference. That’s our home. We’re going to absolutely try our best to be as good as we can and win our games in Walsh Park next year and have the people there with us.”

‘WHAT A TALENT’

Fitzgerald must plan without Austin Gleeson for 2024. The 2016 Hurler of the Year told the Irish Examiner that he needs a break from inter county hurling. “He’ll be a massive loss. Myself and Austin had this chat before he talked to anyone in the newspapers. We have that type of relationship where we can have a chat. Myself, Donncha O’Callaghan, Eoin Kelly Peter Queally, we pushed him really hard last year to stay involved. I suppose he was only crying out for a break when we look back at it. That’s what he wanted. You know what, he has a lot of service given to Waterford. If that’s what he wants to do, then a hundred per cent I back him. I have unbelievable time for him. They can what they like about Austin Gleeson, he’s a good person to deal with and what a talent.”

While Gleeson departs, Kieran Bennett and Ian Kenny will return to the panel. “Ian went travelling last year and Kieran was away. Hopefully the two of them will be with us, when the club allows with Ian and Kieran will be back before the year is out. He is doing a bit of work already out in Australia to get ready.”

DE BURCA ON THE WAY BACK

He is hopeful of seeing Tadhg de Burca back in a Waterford shirt next season. The two-time All Star suffered an achilles injury during the Munster championship loss to Limerick back in April. “From what I understand, from (physio) Michael O’Sullivan, he’s making good progress. Tadhg has been very unlucky with injury but he’s a resilient guy and he’s a guy we’re looking forward to having back around with us. I know he’s working hard. Fair play to him is all I have to say. A lot of other people would have thrown in the towel but he didn’t. He’s going to give it a crack and really looking forward to getting him back. We’ll take his recovery slowly, we won’t push him until we know he’s ready to go.”

Advertisement