Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Where is the large proportion of fans looking for a replay? I'm reading most Liverpool forums and overwhelmingly most reasonable fans are not remotely looking for a replay but you've seen afew on here so it's represents a large portion ?. Liverpool are doing exactly what they should be doing and yet there's still fans like yourself trying to twist it in a having a pop as "embarrassing".

Post edited by bdmc16 on

This is where I wonder if some people watched the game at all. The red cards and offside goal were only afew examples . Every single vital 50/50 decision was in spurs favour over the game. As a liverpool supporter for a long time, it was literally like watching months of unlucky calls cramped into one insane game .

Your take on why people have a problem with Liverpool is no different to the typical response from a rival fan who if the shoe was on the foot would be saying the same as what Liverpool are now . Almost all reasonable fans here are looking for accountability and transparency.

When you lose a league by a point to a city team after an "apology" to Everton for missing a handball that could decided a league then the consequences of these errors are huge .

Serious questions need to asked why these officials were in the UAE 48 prior to this Liverpool (surely a conflict of interest) and then put a performance like that where they knowingly allow a wrong scoreline to stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Not your bud and and even when your team you support won, you still on here crying about Liverpools reaction on here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I was at the game so I saw it. The red cards are not terrible decisions. Really they're not. I can understand the debate on the Jones one but there is a case for him going. Jota's second yellow was an absolutely brainless challenge. You should complain about him, not the ref. On the first one, he is unlucky but there is contact with Udogie. Probably unintentional, maybe not. But Jota should have been booked for a very cynical foul on Bissouma just after he came on. He deserved to be sent off.

There you go, like many Liverpool fans today, inferring some kind or corruption. There was a massive failure of the system and a mistake made by humans. It's infuriating but, sadly, it happens. It's nothing more than that.

But the end result is the same. A club potentially loses points because of a bad decision or poor officiating. Why should what Liverpool suffered elicit any more of an extreme reaction than what Brentford or Wolves suffered?

The point on the reaction is that most clubs are on the wrong end of poor officiating at some point. They have their little moan, are a bit sore about it and move on. The Liverpool reaction is far more extreme than I've seen from any other club over the last few years (including Arsenal who suffered a similar failure in the system last season). And the extreme nature of it has been driven by the bizarre statement the club themselves put out about it last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That bit has lost me a wee bit... you reckon as long as the end result (that the literal result of the match is affected) is the same, there's no difference in events? That's obviously silly... the type of failing is obviously pretty crucial to how people will feel about it.

You're talking about emotion as if it's some weird exact robotic output... emotion will be dictated by circumstances, and these circumstances were particularly weird. I would also say that the level of emotion in all these different mess ups are all different to each other, depending on context. There's no lab-tested exact level of emotion fans should feel that will umbrella all ref errors. To think there is is a bit mad.

I don't think a justification of emotion is required tbh (especially when a fan learns match officials immediately knew it should be 1-0, but chose to continue with the match at 0-0 anyway without interceding), but another factor - that i touched upon earlier - is the timing of the information. Normally a bad call happens, and we immediately know the full context, as much as we disagree with it. The ref's decided not to call whatever thing, and that's that. And so you have some bit of annoyed closure on it once the match is over. This one ended with a massive mystery hanging over it of exactly what happened in the VAR office. Even as late as the airing of Monday Night Football, there were still new pieces of information being added to that. And there's been more info since about the will-they/won't-they on the release of the audio. A continued story will always have a continued reaction. That's just how humans work.

Anyway, as I said before, who cares if a set of fans of another club feel aggrieved 48 hours later? What skin off anyone's nose is it? Like, you seem as invested in the liverpool reaction, as liverpool fans are invested in the actual event itself.

You being at the game only shows you are spurs fan and doesn't give anymore credibility to your comment .

I don't think there is corruption and Jones Red was a red but this isn't a mistake . This is something new where refs knew they was a mistake at the time and choose not to fix it. The fact you think fobbing it off as nothing more that another bad call I totally disagree with and what is driving such outrage for transparency . How can refs for hire fly across the globe 48 hours before a game and perform to the level needed . I'm glad the club is looking for answers and rightly too .

I only mentioned I was at the game as you seemed to wonder if I’d seen it.

No one is trying to fob it off. I think everyone, me included, would say that there needs to be an investigation into how it happened, which PGMOL immediately said there would be, and the protocol needs to change to ensure this kind of mistake can’t happen again.

I don’t know what else Liverpool or their fans want.

• Advertisement

Just to chat about what happened and discuss the new bits of information continuously coming out (it was a pretty noteworthy event, with a lot more nooks and crannies to discuss than you get with your regular bad call, after all). Pretty obvious.

Also, discourse (and particularly conflicting discourse) is what drives a subject to continue - if you're so eager for it to end and so upset by how much people have talked about it, then being so actively involved in it is probably not the best way to go about that...

I’m not upset about it at all. Honestly, Im finding the whole thing absolutely hilarious from the club statement to some of the tinfoil hat conspiracy theories being put out there. It’s pure entertainment.

This is the wierdest thing for me and probably shows as someone else pointed out earlier the complete lack of a decent procedure between VAR and the ref, like GNev and sky said they didnt get line images so there were most likely not drawn.

That to me means they werent bothered to draw them and while the eyeball test was right and a miscommunication led to the wrong decision, it wasnt so obvious they werent needed i mean they should be drawn every time.

Maybe the VAR officials are under pressure from the top to get decisions made quicker but the amateurism is baffling, Although i do quite often find myself baffled by it in football especially as a united fan

The whole system does seem fucked and a bit like The FAI, Fifa, and any politics really those in the system just want to keep the gravy train rolling in case they get to the top, I think Lyod already mentioned it and i wouldnt go as far to call it a conspiracy but when people are well paid to do jobs that are beyond there capabilities and seemingly just promoted within that system, you will never get much improvement

As the saying goes who watches the watchmen

The sheer volume of your posting on the subject across multiple threads, and the emotive sentiments involved, would appear to suggest the opposite.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The Liverpool goal would have been avoided if the communication was goal or no goal rather than on field decision to help. Keep communication as plain as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

And Liverpool fans asking for a change to that communication is seemingly wrong going by the constant comments and sniping in this thread, when it only helps every other team to never have the situation that happened on Saturday. Just move on they say.

The VAR told the referee to award the goal but the referee never did and the scoreline never changed. That has never happened before and should never happen again.

All the posters taking about other incidents that are subjective calls is a lot of crap IMO. Subjective calls happen. Such miscommunication cannot. There have been other incidents down the years where incidents have happened and they should not have. They resulted in changes to the system. The Paul Pogba goal against West Ham for example where the cameras were not set up on the sideline. The cameras are now. Only one team ever got on the right side/wrong side of that sort of freak occurence and now every team has the correct set up. It result in an instant change, and for the better. This isn't giving out about a red card etc. It's a system and process change that needs to be made.

A major feck up has to result in a change. This wasn't subjective, it was matter of fact. Subjective happens, matter of fact cannot.

• Advertisement

Who has said that a change to the process is wrong? I've seen quite the opposite from opposition fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's not new though. Mike Dean admitted to not making calls he knew were correct because his mate was already having a tough day. In fact, I think Dean's examples were far worse because unlike in the Liverpool game, which seemed to be a genuine breakdown in communication, he basically said he would not make the correct call because it was a mate referring a game. That wasn't a communication issue, just outright cheating.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

They really need to do away with all this drawing of lines tbh. There’s already a better system out there, just bloody use it! The automated offsides worked well in the World Cup and would have made the right call for Diaz’s goal at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

The lack of quick communication of errors by the PGMOL is a big driver for it alright.

If the audio was available even as part of Sky Sports review, and PGMOL confirmed afterwards that procedure wasn’t properly followed, the officials in question will be stood down for 1/2 weeks to take on additional training while PGMOL will review update procedures if necessary, then I think the conversation would have moved on(but I could still understand some fans being annoyed by it).

But PGMOL don’t seem prepared to deal with mistakes. Vague statement, reply by the club and a request for the audio(that still hasn’t been produced), MNF trying to piece things together with hearsay all drive the conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They use it in Serie A as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Using the automated lines would not have changed what happened on Saturday

Surprised to see Jamie moaning that at slow motion it wasn't a red card then shows it at full speed and it's still a red card! Out of all the decisions to be moaning about... I hope this gets upgraded for frivolous appeal. If overturned than it's corruption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Because apparently the VAR thought the goal was given, so did a quick check which confirmed Diaz was onside. So he announced check was complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

Liverpool seem to be looking to overturn it based on the fact that agreed VAR protocol wasn’t followed(essentially that stills or slow motion shouldn’t be used to determine intensity of impact).

I still think they won’t overturn it, but if they do, it’s far from corruption.

Heres the thing I took from Reddit, if it’s not true happy to hold my hands up!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if that's the case then the only change required is for them to say "check complete - decision is not offside" rather than just "check complete". Stick that at the end of a comprehensive 80 page report and give it to Klopp.

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence" as Napoleon (possibly) said.

That’s not how the automated system works though I don’t see any scope for ambiguity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The graphic would have shown after the decision is taken. How quickly it is shown i dont know. But if the game had restarted then what would have happened Saturday. Would they have stopped the game to implement the correct decision. Because apparently the ref knew very quickly and they didnt stop it.

But if it just signals that the player is onside to VAR then it would have played out exactly as it did on Saturday. The VAR knew the player was onside.

The AI system is better than the lines but im not sure how much it would have helped Saturday.

It seems a very easy fix for what happened on Saturday. Add the words goal/no goal to the graphic instead of just saying check complete.

That is why Liverpool have requested the audio, to see was the correct phrase used. It hasn't been given 3 days later.....

The PGMOL statement said that there was significant human error, before they even conducted their review. I wonder what the review will entail.

• Advertisement

you're missing the point that the VAR person said 'check complete', meaning to award the goal. The referee assumed that 'check complete' meant offside stands. The automated technology would still needs a VAR official to relay the information to the referee.

The officials either didn't follow protocol of 'check complete - you may award the goal' and/or the PL need to now update this process to ensure that these words are said for all decisions now to remove the possibility of confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Shouldn't the audio be widely available to clubs if we want a transparent process? 3 days later and they have still not released it.

Football fans don't really care about the mechanics of how a wrong call was made. They care about the result and the impact of bad officiating on that result. So, for the vast majority of fans, the only thing that matters is that there was a screw up and it impacted the result. In that respect, the Liverpool call was as bad as the Brentford call. Both fans have a right to feel aggrieved but Brentford aren't making nearly as big a deal out of it.

I was at the game Saturday. By the time I got to the hotel, I was explaining to my son how the mistake seemed to have happened (i.e VAR official called "check complete" and didn't realise what the onfield decision was). It was a farcical situation, it was the wrong call, Liverpool got screwed but the explanation was entirely believable. PGMOL had actually issued their statement before we even left the ground. They did so unusually quickly compared to previous statements. So there wasn't a vacuum. There was an admission immediately that a mistake had been made and the circumstances were explained within a couple of hours. There hasn't really been any new material information coming out "every couple of hours" like to you claim.

Then you have Liverpool's statement. It's bizarre bordering on irresponsible and even the media folks who openly admit that Liverpool should feel hard done by are scratching their heads over it. Passive aggressive threats to the Premier League. Demanding the audio as if you don't believe the explanation. Then you have many, many fans explicitly claiming a conspiracy and many more inferring it. And other fans claiming Liverpool are raising the issue for the good of football as a whole. They are like f**k. It's self interest. Where was the outrage and statement when a failure of the system denied Wolves a cup win at Anfield last season.

It's no skin off my nose if Liverpool feel aggrieved and continue going on about this for another 5 years. I find it funny and it adds weight to a lot of the negative traits that people associate with the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The real problem with the Liverpool call is that in the likes of Rugby, VAR is subservient to the referee. The ref tells VAR his decision and what it wants them to check. Same in American football, there is an on field decision and VAR only reacts to a prompt from the field to check something.

In soccer VAR is off the leash, doing what it wants with no clear chain of command.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Whatever about the call on offside, are we really expected to believe that there aren’t better referees that could be flown out to Abu Dhabi instead of those lads? Really? Why are they doing it? How much are they getting paid? What entertainment is laid on for them?

Why do politicians have to have a register of interests and gifts? It’s to keep the appearance of impropriety out of it. Of all the countries that Abu Dhabi could have got officials from for an all expenses paid trip, they choose the same country where they own a team? And why? Because they’re the best? It’s clear they aren’t….

There is a chain of command isn't there? If the VAR official feels the ref got it clearly wrong, he calls the ref's attention to it. The ref then has the authority to overrule himself or correct his error.

Not saying the process is perfect, there are clearly many issues but there is a process and a chain of command.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

It would have been useful if the VAR official let the ref know after he made the mistake, they said he realised his mistake 7 seconds after play restarted. That part is particularly worrying that he does not know that after a goal, you kick off from the centre circle!!!!!

Agree 100%. It's a monumental f**k up of people and protocol (but not technology). But there is a clear chain of command.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Relying on human beings to spot and point the right things out is a free for all compared to those other clearly defined processes.

To illustrate, I was watching a game at the weekend in a bar with the sound off, one of about 6 screens. Might have been the Everton game.

There was a goal scored, and all of us, including the referee, sat and waited while VAR went through angle after angle, through different phases of play, looking at different players and incidents, minutes passing while VAR looked hard as they could for a reason to disallow the goal.

In an alternate universe VAR could easily have spent one minute looking at the goal and let it stand.

Thats the human factor and thats a free for all and that is why we get shite like operators not highlighting incidents because the ref is a mate.

And that fact is that it can never be any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

In rugby, it generally feels like the TMO works alongside the ref, either by checking things on the refs instruction or by bringing their attention to things they might have missed. Then the ref makes the ultimate decision after discussion with the TMO and/or assistant refs. Not every decision is flawless, but IMO its a good process.

In the PL I feel like there’s an obsession with making sure the ref is ‘in charge’ and that’s what leads to a lot of these ridiculous decisions. Rather than it being a refereeing team making decisions you end up with a situation where VAR either won’t intervene to ‘protect’ the ref, or a situation where VAR completely overrules the ref. 99% of the time when the ref is called to the monitor you know it’ll be a penalty, card, or whatever.

There’s an underlying problem with the standard of refereeing, but I really think broadcasting the audio between the ref and VAR would help to improve the use of VAR. On one side, we get to hear and understand why a decision is made. On the other, the officials have to be entirely transparent and can’t try to protect their mates. It’ll also cut out a lot of the nonsense online about conspiracies and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Paddy Power on the money.

Everyone: VAR is crap and it's ruining the game, something needs done about it!

Liverpool FC: VAR ruined that game, something needs done about it.

Everyone: Shut up ffs just stop crying and get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Great as at least it will clear things up; hopefully it covers the time a few minutes following the restart as once play started the VAR officials knew their mistake - did they say nothing to the poor ref!!

I was shocked at how unprofessional the last released audio clip sounded. Suspect the same here

It's mad that Gary Neville could hear it live but it took Liverpool 3 days to hear the audio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

They are making the excuse of onfield officials went with offside and VAR officials were checking a goal so even with the auto system its check complete unless the communicate what is going on the same thing would have happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I suspect that's the path this goes down, the audios we've heard have been extremely poor when compared with the calm and concise language used in other sports. Communication is where this went wrong and that has to be addressed - Rugby change theirs regularly to try and nail down the best language to avoid confusion or mistakes. There's no shame in looking for improvement

Once Liverpool or United are involved however, this forum becomes unbearable, legitimate arguments out the window.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Maybe change some of the terminology if Check Complete is so confusing.

Goal, or No Goal.

Offside, Onside

Red Card, No Red Card

Etc

Can't believe how 4 humans can make a mess of something so simple. A lot of people would be sacked for gross incompetence in their own line of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Does anyone know what appeared on the "big screen" after this?

I thought the decision was shown here e.g.

or

to avoid confusion, especially so the fans would know what was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

They need to make var as if it's being operated by 5 year olds.

Giant green button for goal

Giant red button for no goal

If it's a peno or red card check, they could have other giant buttons.

Maybe give them a treat when they make the correct decision

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement