Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

That's a big win. The only thing worse for the Russian air force then losing jet's is losing a pilot whether dead or alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,424 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

On the west/US's foot this person will disappear off the media's radar.

Now imagine if this was the other way around. They'd be paraded through Red Square and on national television singing the Russian national anthem.

Hopefully not prempting anything but the above would show the maturity in countries and the likelihood of pilots defecting which way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭rolling boh

There definitely seems to be few signs of fatigue within some countries to keep the full support up for Ukraine that has to be a worry wonder will the situation in Slovakia and the new government have much impact .For all the failures of Putin it seems he can keep going at some rate at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

It looks like Slovakia is a nothing bar. The party topped the poll at 23% of the vote. But it seems a mammoth task for them to go in coalition with anyone else to form a government.

• Advertisement

Haven't they just elected a pro Putin guy that is likely to lead a government that might be a problem .

Only saw a snippet on the news with the guy going to the president so thought he was likely to form a government. Just obviously wouldn't like to see others countries going down that road as well .We shall see .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A coalition with similar interests groups gives them close to 80 seats , I don't see any discussions on it won't happen, other than some guessing it might be difficult it might be easier than people realise

You'd be wondering are the party thought of like Sinn Fein were here. Sinn Fein topped here. But could not make a government.

The new Prime Minister is on his third appointment if I'm correct, leader of a similar party previously served as his deputy prime Minister, i get the feeling this isn't going to be a SF effort,it was well documented exactly what would happen if they did win nobody wanted to share a bed with them ,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Great post but where are we banned from sending military aid? I always thought we can do as we please. We could even send troops.

I thought "neutralitity" meant we can't have our hand forced through international pacts.

I'm more than open to be wrong on this...could you provide some back-up to this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Economics101

Fico has 23% of the votes and probably a similar proportion of seats. A long way to go to get a parliamentary majority. And the President Zuzana Čaputová is distinctly liberal, pro-Western, unfortunately not running for re-election. She seems quite popular, and I am sure she will stand no nonsense from Fico.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭amandstu

The disadvantage of not being in a "international pact" like Nato is that it would be that much harder to act out one's good intentions when the result might be to be attacked by one's "enemies " in the same way that a pack of wolves might attack the weakest member of a herd of bison.

If Ireland shares the values of the other countries in Nato then it might make sense to share the responsibilities for maintaining the group against external attacks.

On the other hand ,in time of conflict honest brokers are often needed and neutral countries can fulfil that role (not Finland any more as they woke up the other day and smelled the excrement and vodka)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Slovakia isn't exactly a military powerhouse, so if their support wanes, it's not going to have a significant effect on the overall support Ukraine receives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

I'm happy to admit I was mistaken on that technical detail. I was confusing irelands policy of military neutrality and not sending lethal aid with our consitutional article 49 which doesn't mention this.

It's telling however that the user I replied to has chosen to cower and thank the posts that have pulled me up on that detail. Rather than show a little spine reply directly to the thrust of my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭amandstu

It is the support from USA and Europe that is most critical.

Slovakia has shown that it is home to a segment of the population that seems happy to acquiesce in a flagrant breach of the UN Charter.

I would not be surprised that ,if they continue down that path their chickens will return to roost at some stage in the future.

Are we ,in this and neighbouring countries perhaps unaware of the animosities festering between the countries in Eastern (and other parts of) Europe?

I had no idea till recently there were border disputes (or apparent tensions ) between Hungary and its neighbours.

Is there any end to this madness?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah I know that.

It's not what I was pointing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I recall (following the Ukraine invasion news over past few months) the govt. there provided an air defence system and about a dozen Mig fighters, which is quite impressive (imo).

So hopefully the departing govt. already supplied most of the big things they could spare, and the new one (if of a less pro Ukraine bent) can whistle if they want to try asking for these back now!

I suppose the main problem is if a cluster of these "spoiler" countries can cooperate to block further EU support to Ukraine and increased trade sanctions on Russia in the European Council (but situation there wasn't maybe great anyway, with Hungary alone being enough to throw a monkey wrench if a decision needs unanimity).

They won't be asking for anything back but they won't be sending anything else according to the various reports,if they won't send weapons they won't likely send financial support either, which in turns means others have to contribute more or they say we've given all we can too ,we need to put our security first,but the actual problem which brought us to the was zelensky threatening legal actions against EU states for trying to protect their Agricultural sectors, which hasn't gone down well in the various countries effected directly, billions in weapons and financial support all the while taking in millions of Ukrainian people the Ukrainian government then has a public go at countries and claiming countries are supporting Russia,

I think it was a poorly executed and calculated move by the Ukrainian government,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The financial support (at EU level) will come from contributor member states ultimately. I don't think Slovakia is one, and I don't think/expect their bilateral aid would be that large. As have mentioned before, the weapons donations I think would be part-financed by the EU (through Peace facility).

While talking about legal action etc. was a poor move, I am not so sure you are correct on effect of that grain stuff...

Admit I don't know the country so cannot say for sure, but it is almost always domestic trends that drive voting patterns everywhere, like unhapiness with the government party for specific policies at home, or pinning of blame on them for a weak economy etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,396 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Russia tries to paint decoy images of bombers on their runways

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

"Simple question why didn't the counter offensive not begin in winter,"

The fact it didn't start until June makes it blindingly obvious that factors besides weather were at play.

"No reason for modern armies to pause in winter but more than likely that's exactly what happens in any conflict as documented by many failed military offensives during winter"

What about the ones that suceeded or failed because of non weather related issues, oh.. lets ignore them, just like you ignore the fact that Russia continued to attack over last winter, taking Soledar and pushing into Bakhmut.

No point in trying to have an honest discussion with you, too many strawmen and refusals to engage with relevant points, bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

This winter Russia will have less of an advantage in terms of artillery, less long range missile's, less equipment in general but most important they won't have a 50,000 strong drugged up zombie army straight out of prison. Nobody in Russia cared if these guy's lived or died. I'd be surprised if Ukraine are not the ones who make minor advancements between now and next spring.

You can be sure the Ukrainian high command are smiling at that. If they keep up the tempo of their attacks on logistics and command, I think we can expect to see Ukrainian lads and lassies dancing over some very cold, damp and unmotivated Russians this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

They aren’t. They’ll join up with HLAS and the Slovakian Nationalist Party go for a government is what a Slovakian friend has told me.

HLAS is made up of some former members of SMER who broke away, which he said will make negotiations fairly easy while the Nationalists will be delighted to get on board.

Great fighting in bakmuth and Soledar was going on for months like best part of a year,but yet slowed over the winter months which turned into artillery duels we watched it nightly on here .

As for the last paragraph looking for a reaction for whatever reason very disengenious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

To be blunt, their major contribution (Mig 29s etc.) has been already made. They also have a a contract to supply howitzers, if I recall correctly. Which if they pulled the plug on might hurt at the economic level. Imagine it will quietly be honoured.

Bit of light reading, unfortunatly the people who should read this are the ones who won't.

"Putin has long tried to accomplish two distinct objectives: breaking up NATO and seizing full control over Ukraine. Putin’s core objectives from the start of his rule have been preserving his regime, establishing an iron grip on Russia domestically, reestablishing Russia as a great power, and forming a multipolar world order in which Russia has a veto over key global events.[1] Establishing control over Ukraine and eroding US influence have always been essential to these core objectives."

"There is no path to real peace other than helping Ukraine inflict an unequivocal military defeat on Russia and then helping to rebuild Ukraine into a military and society so strong and resilient that no future Russian leader sees an opportunity like the ones Putin misperceived in 2014 and 2022.

This path is achievable if the West commits to supporting Ukraine in the prolonged effort likely needed to walk down it. If the West is instead lured by the illusion of some compromise, it may end the pain for now, but only at the cost of much greater pain later. Putin has shown that he views compromise as surrender, and surrender emboldens him to reattack. This war can only end not when Putin feels that he can save face, but rather when he knows that he cannot win."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Whatever nonsense is coming out of Slovakia was just electioneering.

They are a NATO member and rely on EU funding much like Hungary.

They will toe the line primarily because it's in their own interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

One of the rare people for whom the term 'His Excellency' is fitting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement