Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creches closing for 3 days from today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Ignore Bumble. There's no point they can't make up an anecdote to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Given the wages are supposedly a pittance then its probable they couldn't afford to.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Ridiculous comment OBumble. Staff in our creche had their kids in the creche they worked in - that was until they had a second child and it was no longer worth their while working in a creche

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

This is a bit heavy on the maths side. You're right, but it doesn't consider other losses like potential promotions during those years if, for example, the mother stays at home. It doesn't include the work experience and progress they make in a professional sense which could earn them more income longer term like 7 to 10 years. It doesn't consider the fact that families who do that end up getting into a routine where the parent who leaves work tends to continue being chief parent later on, which makes it difficult again to do as well as if they had stayed in the rat race. Sure they're supposed to share responsibilities but the reality is that the parent who stayed working got a few promotions,they're earning more and don't have the time to make the lunches or help with the homework or deal with the parents WhatsApp chat.

Mentally it can be quite challenging to get back into the rat race after 3 or 4 years out with the kids, or more years if you have a second kid. You're applying for jobs with say a 5 year gap in your CV and you're up against other people who are currently doing similar jobs elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Thank God its day 3 of this strike. I'm exhausted.

Having to work a fractured day around the times my 1year old is awake.

It's basically all go from 6:45 to 21:30 for these 3 days.

Paid the creche for these three days, as I've no issues with them striking, but if there are more planned, I'm not sure I'll be so quick to offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Thanks god it's day 3.

I'm exhausted. I've need to work fractured work days. Basically work while my 1 year is asleep during the day, and then once my wife gets home from work, continue working until around 21:30.

My day now basically runs from 6:45 to 21:30, and then I get to relax.

I was more than happy to pay the creche for these 3 days of strikes, but not too sure if I'll be as quick to put my hand in my pocket next time around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Fair enough but parents can't have it both ways. Either 1 parent drops out of the workforce to mind the kids, or they pay the creche fees to stay at work (for not much leftover net pay in a lot of cases).

And I see nobody has replied to my other maths based post, that worked out an hourly fee of less than a fiver for creche fees...so its not all bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

And on the very cynical side, (if the threads on Separation/Divorce are anything to go by) if a mother takes a few years out of the workplace to raise the children, she is "not contributing".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,914 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Some used in-home care. Some took a break between jobs. Some had used institutional edu-care for their first child, but given what they learned wouldn't do it again with a pre-verbal child.

Yes I personally think it's decent value considering they're fed a few meals a day, do lots of art, kept safe, build friendships, are prepped mentally to start school all for under 5 euro an hour and in my case that came down as my daughters got older.

What a lot of parents are complaining about is that this is not enough for the creches - my own creche closed for 4 weeks this year unexpectedly because they couldn't find staff to work there. We turned up in the morning and they sent us away. So 2 weeks of my annual leave was taken up by that.

Also, in many creches, parents are unable to pay for just 3 or 4 days a week. They're forced to pay for 5 days or take a hike which isn't the norm with that young age group across developed nations.

There are other crazy things like, for example, I'm not allowed to collect my daughter early from the creche because the government subsidy doesn't cover for the number of hours I paid for, but the number of hours my daughter physically sits in the creche. My one year old was teething with a high temperature about a month ago, and I had to stand outside for 40 minutes waiting until 4:30pm or I'd lose the government subsidy.

All of this stems back to the creches being under a serious financial strain. If it weren't for the price caps, parents would probably be charged 1500 to 2000 euro per child now to cover energy cost increases, increases to food costs, art supplies, insurance, and obviously childcare workers (because the current rates aren't enough to attract people to the workforce).

• Advertisement

Imagine if creches charged a tenner an hour, which on the face of it still sounds very reasonable for what they get in return as you've described, but it would be close to €2k a month which just is not feasible for most parents (not that €1k a month is overly feasible but when its broken down is actually great value).

We got very lucky that our local creche took our eldest on a 3 day basis, but we've been told in no uncertain terms they won't do this for our 2nd child so we've to figure out what to do next. But it is crazy there is no outside the box thinking or searching for another family to team up with...full time or nothing.

And we also got told if we paid 5 days but only use 4 days that the Department would take a very dim view on it, almost accusing us of truancy.

It's a very bad system and environment created by pen pushers in the department. The creche do stellar work, I certainly wouldn't be cut out for that work.

How to fix it, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The reason the crèche won’t let you split the week with another family is if they leave they are stuck looking for a family with the same needs as the one that left to suit your days. Margins are far too tight to give that flexibility.

Oh I completely understand their decision, I'm not complaining about it. Good business decision by them, get a 5 dayer in instead, and make more money. Can't begrudge them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

We chose not to use in home care because there’s more safety in numbers. Add to that the socialization that children get from their peers just wouldn’t be recreated in a home setting. We met other parents, I was in the parents association too. Wouldn’t have had that kind of experience with a childminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

So then we're all being exploited? My boss offered to pay me money to work because she knows I need money to live and support my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

That's just pure whataboutery though. You're not addressing the point. Just sh*tting all over where it's coming from.

Ideas don't have a nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

Also, a live in Nannny doesnt really have much costs so any money they earn, they can pretty much keep. When you factor all that in, its not really a bad deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's a f*cking awful idea no matter where it's from. People in first world countries earning first world wages (and usually well above the median in these countries) seeking to exploit labour from third world countries. If you are earning the going rate from your job but don't want to pay the going rate for people you employ, it's grossly hypocritical to say the very least.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

My one year old was teething with a high temperature about a month ago, and I had to stand outside for 40 minutes waiting until 4:30pm or I'd lose the government subsidy.

WTF? This is absolutely crazy! Did the creche keep your unwell child and actually make you wait outside for those 40 minutes ?!?

There can't seriously be a rule that a parent cannot take their unwell child home, for fear of losing subsidy - can there? Because if there is, then that needs to be challenged and changed immediately.

Part of having kids in creches is they catch everything that's going, and creches will call and ask a parent to take an unwell child home.

But are you supposed to leave them there, ill, or risk losing subsidy?

Or was this a case of a creche being over cautious in applying the rules?

It's not the creche, it's the government. The creche are just the messengers delivering the numbers. The government lives in cloud cuckoo land where they think that parents should be able to pay for the hours that the kids are in the creche. So even though the vast majority of parents are forced to pay for the entire week and every hour in it, the government's subsidy is only paid out for the number of hours the child physically stays in the creche. It's like they're earning a wage.

There is a parent in our creche who doesn't work Fridays and she wanted to keep her kid home from creche because they're still quite young. But the creche said that the government will take the subsidy off her unless she brings the child to the creche.

So next time you hear the government talking about how they're paying 25 per cent of the fees - just note that they only pay it if the child physically turns up and earns it.

I'm here wanting to collect my child early every day because we work from home, which would relieve pressure from the creche, and the government is saying I'm not allowed if I want to keep the subsidy.

• Advertisement

I mailed the government highlighting that it was a strange policy to be put in place by the department solely responsible for the well being of families and children.

I said if they care about reducing costs to parents ,focus on the cost. If they care about how many hours kids stay in creches, focus on the hours the kids are in the creches.

They're well able to access the amount parents are being forced to pay per month. It's just as easy to get that figure as it is to look at the number of hours little Johnny spent inside the creche doors.

They basically copied and pasted the policy and told me to take a hike.

So what happens to the subsidy if someone has to take a sick child home?

Or they can't go in for a few days because they're sick?

In fairness it’s done over a certain amount of days so you have to do full hours a certain amount of times in that period might be over 4 weeks but I’m not sure. If you do miss it you are docked some of your state payment then you have to make up the difference to the crèche. The examples above are quite extreme but it creates admin work for the crèche working out the shortfall and then the parent has to adjust their standing order for the month. It effectively punishes those lucky enough to be able to collect early or keep them home one day a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

So the person who wanted to take their sick child out 40 min early, would have a small reduction in payment and there would be a bit of paper work? But they decided to leave the child in creche rather than do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

Im curious how the authorities know that a child didnt attend for their full hours. In the creche my children attended we just dropped the children into their room - we didnt log or sign them in or out ( my youngest only finished last year). Could management not lie and say that a child attended for their allotted hours?

Is creche owners and managers making it hard for themselves by being too honest?

Also we were constantly being reminded not to bring our kids to creche if they were sick. It seems silly to now have a system which punishes parents and creche owners if a child is sick and has to stay home. In fact it encourages people to send their kid to creche sick - That makes no sense.

Well I can’t speak for someone else’s anecdote but it would appear so

I know in my wife’s crèche they use tablets in the rooms to mark as kids arrive and leave so it’s digital, they get inspections occasionally and if the numbers marked in don’t tally I think they can get in trouble but I don’t know the mechanics of it

on your last paragraph I know some of the issues the operators are annoyed about are things lie this that are pointlessly onerous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Well it would seem like the obvious solution is to take the child out and suck up the small reduction in subsidy surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

Ah thats probably it - the staff mark them in/out after parent has left.

The system should be as simple as creche gets paid their subsidy whether child is there or not - a childcare place should be paid for whether used or not.

Surely it would be easy to introduce this immediately and I cant see it costing the government alot more being honest.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,763 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have a lot of sympathy for them. I know in our creche, ever since the new system came in last year the admin has gone through the roof. We used to just pay the same amount every month, now the creche needs to bill us per-month and it's different amounts depending on the number of days in that month. They have to work this out for every single child, it's nuts.

The past few months it's got worse, they are struggling to maintain staff levels, which means there'd been a few occasions where they've had to ask for kids to be collected earlier than usual due to staff illness etc. They can't adjust fees to account for increased costs, so staff wages are stagnant.

Advertisement