Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Daily Mail pissed off because they (along with all British tabloids) were banned. 😋

Interesting that the Daily Mail is surprised that those involved had to sign release form for films / photos to be used. Is that not a legal requirement in the UK that you get written permission to used film/photos?

They also seem shocked that they wanted to make the place look good. Do Mall Readers think that since it was a poor school, the kids should not have something nice to sit on? (If it was the RF, they would expect people to spend money they don't have on making the place look good for them).

Interesting that they don't mention that Meghan also brought a chequed for $30,000 to help pay for free lunch programme. And do you know how that came out: The comment was made by someone from the school that when Kate Middleton visited a school a couple of years ago, she came with her hands hanging!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

Looks like Meghan donated two boxes of vegetables and herbs. They must have been enormous boxes to come to a $30,000 value

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

It's clear that M really can't do wrong in some people's eyes, which is fine. But not OK for them to swear and to tell you that you need help for disagreeing with them. Who knows what people go through on a personal level?

No, it was a cheque she gave.

Could you explain to me why people are complaining that they wanted the kids and the place they were being filmed in to look good? Would the preference being for the kids to look down and out, poorly dressed and the place looking neglected?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

What's the problem? A school that serves under privileged kids didn't match Meghan's aesthetic so she wanted them to spritz it up a bit for her so she didn't have to be somewhere that looked so...poor. Who would want a repeat of having to be in a "housing unit"? Isn't that the very definition of charity? A true philanthropist 😄

• Advertisement

No, she wanted the children to have somewhere to sit on. It was outside, presumably because of covid restrictions at the time. Here is a video of the aesthetic that lived up to Meghan's standards. She is such a snob!

You begruded kids a few custions to sit on?

I have no idea what you are going on about housing units and philanthropist. Are people not allowed have cushions to sit on if they are poor? You seem to have this colonial mindset that people are just lazy and so don't deserve charity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGssm-zYj_4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yeah, that's me, a colonialist who begrudges kids cushions 🙄

Jeez, get a sarcasm detector.

Charitable visits don't normally involve demands to spruce the place up to meet the standards of the benefactors or making children sign agreements to not make disparaging comments. I'm sure you'd have a field day with that if it was any of the other members of the royal family.

In the shrinkingly small likelihood that Meghan took a cheque, and actually handed it over

a). There would have been a ceremonial handover captured by the Netflix film crew, complete with speeches from herself

b). We would have heard all about it directly from H&M several dozen times, both at the time and for the rest of time

c). Her so-called Sugars would have been crowing about it incessantly

d). It never happened

The whole exercise was entirely and solely a book publicity scheme, dressed up as a charitable venture to be used as part of the Netflix reality tv series. The cushions were to satisfy "Meghan's aesthetic" for green, no doubt to counterpose her Pear Red "$5,840 Loro Piana cashmere coat and matching $1,680 pants" - the ideal outfit to wear to visit a school where "95 per cent (of the students) qualify for free or reduced-price lunches due to their low-income backgrounds".

Also, on some occasions a release to use people's images is sought. However, it's not usual for a gagging order type constraint be used to silence people.

Let's face it, she's only interested in herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Hold on there Walter Mitty.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. The mental gymnastics you go through defending that couple is nothing short of astounding and you have the gall to tell another user they need help?

I'd be pretty sure that personnel working for the Royal Family would visit and make sure everything is up to scratch for a Royal Visit. For example, say if some of the Royal Family were visiting a school in the UK, their people wouldn't be in contact with the school with what they need to do and advise on 'protocols'. FFS, doesn't Charles bring his own toilet seat when away from home!

Where you see demands being made for the titilation of Meghan Markle, what she actually did was made sure the children from an area that doesn't have many resources, had something to sit on.

British tabloid trash had absolutely no business being there as all they were going to do was thrash the visit and harass the people from the school, so it was right they were banned. Its not up to a small school in a deprived area of New York to line the pockets of British print moguls and their hate and divisive agenda.

The protection was for the children and their families to keep well away from the British tabloids because they would use and abuse and then discard them. I wonder does it ever strike the tabloids to seek written permission for the stuff that they publish. A concept that they wouldn't be too happy about, but what is normal in the rest of the civilised world.

Anyway, Meghan arrived with her cheque for $30,000 which was fairly decent. How much would the British tabloids have donated to the school for the use of their images? And why should H&M let the British tabloids steal what they paid for anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

So the New York trip was actually for the Netflix/Harry & Meghan series as suspected at the time (i.e. why are there cameras with them, why are they wearing mics when meeting children? Netflix?)

Essentially they were leveraging the optics of using their purported fame/influence to help promote literacy for disadvantaged kids. You see dear viewers they actually really do mean it when they say they are all about compassion in action.

I think the producers/execs/director involved couldn’t get releases for footage of H&M doing these kinds of activities when they were working royals so needed to complete a flurry of similar type engagements during a swift 3-day exercise of principal photography in NY.

In essence it was a cosplay of a royal tour with Netflix (in conjunction with Archewell Productions staff) calling the shots . With that you got a swift menu of the WTC memorial visit with the mayor, the soup kitchen visit/donation, the UN meeting with the “we mean business” folders, pics of private dinners to recover from saving the world etc.

It is all footage ops so to speak for the show and when you drill down beyond the promoting of issues, of hugging children, the remembering victims and the aligning of themselves with power brokers it all just boils down to money i.e. Netflix invested in them and wanting progress on that investment went about filling the gaps for what they couldn’t get releases for while H&M were happy to oblige as they understandably want to drawdown more than their initial signing on fee.

The main reason they were in New York (which you completely missed) was the Global Citizen Live Concert in New York to promote action on climate change which they were invited to.

Bearing in mind that they were heavily involved in providing vaccines for less well off countries, raising millions of $s (the reason I think for the meeting in the UN), the school was targetted for anti vax protesters.

So, they packed a lot into their weekend. By the way, do you object to all writers doing readings/signings/promotion of their books, or is it just Harry & Meghan you object to doing it? I'd love to know who else you think shouldn't be allowed promote their books?

Absolutely nothing wrong with anyone promoting their work since that is to be expected but when such promotion is done covertly under the guise of requesting a press release to appear charitable/supporting community arts then the optics aren’t really great when the nitty gritty comes out via FOI requests.

The NY schools press secretary, responsible for the press release, obviously saw a promotional agenda at play and thus made it less “promotion-ey” i.e. removing complete reference to The Bench itself despite a protesting reply from the Archewell staffer.

I just think that whole 3 day flurry of activity now makes more sense because at the time I was thinking why the hell are they doing all these condensed gigs like it’s a visiting royal tour? Isn't this the kind of thing ye stepped away from? Or at least wanted half a million a year to do? Why go to the out of pocket expense?

However since a crew were following them then plugging in the gap for royal-esque footage which Netflix would own makes it entirely plausible why they were doing it. The expense was presumably coming out of the production costs, nice cushions and all. As such they were working on their series at that time.

Even the Royal Family have a rota of newspapers who they communicate with which doesn't include every newspaper in the UK. The White House does something similar about how it accredits media to their press conferences. Meghan and Harry excluded British publications from their events. Is there some reason you think that the hateful, racist British tabloids who spend their time slagging off Harry and Meghan should be included in a school in a deprived area of New York which is not in the UK? If I was the school, I'd want to protect the kids from those racist vultures who just use hateful bile to fill their pages and would more than likely dig until they could find something to **** stir about them and if they didn't find it, they would twist something someone said into something hateful.

I'm pretty sure news agencies like PA were invited and would have sold reports to the British press who were not invited to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Terrier2023

Shades of Bette Davis in Rosemarys baby : he is afraid of her so obvious cohersive control gone mad ! thirty years training you are correct and his early years being trained by Diana. I dislike the bastard but its no way for a man to have to live, pride is a terrible thing his brother was correct about slowing down wait & see but his pride prevents him from admitting it. He will un alive himself eventually a bit of fentynal in his coke or just end up in a state of madness needing 24/7 care in a facility. I hate how the world ignore abuse of men in marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,130 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Bloody hell, that's a dark well of degeneracy.

Gave it a watch. It does make some valid points i.e. Where does Meghan go from here and would she even go there (A beggar being a chooser can't work). She seems to be completely snookered/in limbo and even the likes of WME will struggle to make fetch happen since reputation is everything and a negative one can be nigh on impossible to clean even with the best PR who would be quite happy to part clients from their money in the process of trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

With her reputation in tatters maybe now they will get the privacy they so desperately wanted. /S

Reputation in tatters because an incel and a grifter on youtube made some creepy videos?

Really?

• Advertisement

I don't think it's the opinion of just two people. And why do you feel the need to be insulting, anyway? Pitching for a job with GB News? They have a few vacancies at the moment.

The description was factual and apt.

Doubt GB would take me.

Also the irony of you telling me to apply for a job at GB news.

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Charles takes his own toilet seats with him 😂😂😂

Jesus, jm80 where do you get your (wrong) information from

The latest story about the school visit is a brilliant example of how the Sussexes failed to adhere to advice from The Godfather. Keep your friends close but your enemies closer. Harry hates sections of the media. The Mail, The Sun, The Express etc. It’s well known. It’s understandable. Their decision to exclude these outlets was going against the advice outlined above. One might despise such media but they are realistically never going to go away. If he managed to get The Sun shut down then, like a virus evolving to survive, there will inevitably be The Sun 2.0. It is a futile exercise. As such, they have to be managed. His family does this and in doing so they get accused of getting in bed with the media but in reality it is them acknowledging the futility described above. It’s not joining them, it is managing them. Keeping them closer.

If you drive a wedge between them then a consequence may be that a focus might be retained on you and if you go so far as to sue them and/or try to shut them down? They, no matter how trivial or inconsequential, will strike back wherever possible. That focus has been doubled down on considering such outlets are doing the equivalent of rooting through your trash to find dirt on you i.e. it’s not a coincidence that it was The Sun (who Harry is suing) and The Mail (who Meghan sued) are the ones who requested the detail via an FOI request for an event which lasted less than half an hour and which happened over two years ago.

A happy medium with the enemy needed to be established, an acceptance that the tabloids are trashy but aren’t going anywhere needed to be understood. They picked a fight and I find it unsurprising that the tabloid media have been going to such an effort to further dent their credibility and reputation. Using some inference then this is probably not the only event/activity these outlets have sorted through in the proverbial bin and I’d fully expect more brand damaging shenanigans to emerge in time.

Nah, it's far more noble and commendable that they don't cowtow to what is an absolute scum bag industry.

A happy medium with the enemy is essential to survive if you want to be in the public eye, make an enemy of them the press and their revenge is inevitable. However I think the harkels made a lot of mistakes the principle one being disrespecting a dying monarch who was beloved for 70+ years, plus her treatment of her own father. At the end of the day one should honour your parents. Call me old fashioned but when they educate you and build you up you have to show some gratitude if you dont it is a serious character flaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭maik3n

A tale of 2 Princesses.

Kate and William not attending the same event (Aww, isn't she just luverly, she wants to stay home for her child's ''exams'')

The awful Camilla Tominey even parroting the Palace line verbatim.

Harry and Meghan not attending the same event/s (OMG, their marriage is over, they are so getting divorced)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12497603/Sussexes-separating-brands-ALISON-BOSHOFF.html

I think it's known that Harry and Meghan are now actively engaging in and trying seperate vocations e.g. she signed with WME, while Harry didn't and she was quiet when he was promoting Spare and vice versa with promoting Archetypes.

Comparing the state of two marriages is unbalanced. W&K have been together for 23 years. That longevity reduces marital speculation as it all tends towards survivorship bias. They have a clearly defined path in the decades ahead and whether the monarchy lasts or not then William is a billionaire regardless. No financial worries.

Compared to H&M who went through a whirlwind courtship (meeting to marriage in just over 2 years) and taking the acrimony, the drama, Meghans pattern of cutting ties with people, no clearly defined path and the financial pressure stemming from that into account then the balance of and frequency of speculation about the status of the two marriages will invariably lean towards H&M.

The alternative view would be that under extreme pressure from all sides (brother, media, racism etc), all that adversity has made their marriage stronger and them more determined to last. The fact that they were both mature adults (in their 30s) with both having had long term relationships that went wrong, suggests to me that it should make their marriage much stronger.

You can't compare the long relationship prior to marriage that William had with Kate (to make sure that she was the one) when they met when they were 19 or 20 to Harry and Meghan meeting in their late 30s when they were both mature adults with a lot of life experience behind them.

• Advertisement

You'll have heard of the aphorism, "Marry in haste, repent at leisure"?

Advertisement