Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

But they aren't criticising the song for its artistic quality, they are criticising it for something something that you haven't explained.

Maybe if you explained exactly why SF supporters criticised the use of the song, and remember, they were first off, before anyone else commented, then maybe we could understand your position. As it is, you haven't really explained anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

SF supporters are free to criticise the song all they want. What I'm asking is why are they criticising it? What is their issue with this particular you song? You keep dodging that question.

Some posters have said they think its crap/bad/awful song. Someone mentioned they can't stand Dolores' voice. That's all fine. Its music and everyone has different tastes. But was is SF issue with the song?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

This is what Tadgh Hickey posted on twitter:

---

“Zombie is the perfect partitionist anthem.

"It encapsulates the complete lack of understanding or even basic compassion in the south for the lived experience of Northern nationalists.

"’But you see, it's not me It's not my family’...

“State sponsored murder, pogroms, second class citizenship, complete abdication of responsibility from the South – that's all ‘in your head’.”

---

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭Francis McM

I think Tagdh Hickey, a failed comedian an actor nobody has heard of, was talking about Cork, where he is from and knows best. He could have been talking about the massacre of innocent Protestants in Cork about a century ago, the forced emigration of others etc. What would the self confessed alcoholic Hickey know anyway? He was not even born or alive during the worst of the troubles. The only true thing he said was " If I could change something from my past, I’d take away all the hurt and terror I caused my loved ones when I was drinking and drugging."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

So, in your book, someone's opinion is invalid if:

a) they are from Cork

b) are reformed drug & alcohol users

You just write them off as being worthless.

As for his talent (or in your opinion) lack of talent. He seems to have a fair few followers on twitter for someone who is talentless and seems to get to do a lot of gigs as well, so maybe just not to your taste.

• Advertisement

I think that poor man has his own problems. Wouldn't be mocking him here by posting that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Problem with his tweet is that he assumes every nationalist in NI in 1993 was a SF / IRA supporter. But in reality, most of them supported John Hume and the SDLP : SF only became popular after the signing of the Good Friday Agreement.

So, his own take on the song and nationalist sentiment in NI is a wrong headed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

You're right about one thing, I've never heard of Tadhg Hickey, but anyone who uses someone's past addiction as a stick to beat them with is pretty sick and twisted, particularly if the person is in recovery and doing their best to overcome their addiction. Wind your neck in and cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

He's entitled to his opinion on the song. I think it's a bs opinion and the majority of people in Ireland seem to disagree with his opinion. Maybe he doesn't know why the song was written. I am curious as to why his opinion on the song and the Troubles is given credibility by SF but O'Riordan's isn't. They're both from Munster.

I'm also curious, was it always viewed over here as a conflict between Nationalsts and Loyalists as opposed to a religious conflict? I ask because overseas reports definitely highlighted the religious aspect a lot.

I am not using it as a stick to beat him with, I just do not see why his opinion is held by some above others people opinions. He is entitled to his opinion, but what does he really know about N.I., and from where, seeing as he was not a adult when the troubles were happening? Someone said he is a comedian, fair enough, maybe he is just trying to make a name for himself to get on the telly or something? He is not as famous as the "Young Offenders" ( comedians from Cork) , maybe he wants to be? Or maybe he is one of them already?

Was he ever near any of the 16,000 bombs the terrorists exploded? Ever know anyone killed or injured? Ever inconvenienced by false bomb threats? Ever stopped getting off a plane abroad and questioned, as the name of the good people of Ireland was dragged through the mud by those who planted bombs? From what he said, it just sounded to me like he got his information from an Phoblocht? Most people in N.I. during the troubles, and most people south of the border during the troubles, certainly would not have agreed with him.

I wish him well in his career and battle to beat his addictions anyway, but I certainly do not find him funny (if indeed he is a comedian), nor do I find his utterances very insightful or thoughtful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

Short answer is it was based on both identity and religion. Longer answer is Republicans didn't really care what religion you were as they killed plenty of Catholics too, it was more about whether you were for or against the 'cause',whereas loyalists tended to target solely based on religion. It's why you still see kill all taigs (Catholics) signs on loyalist bonfires.

Though it did start to become a tit for tat religion for religion as the conflict wore on.

You write "Republicans didn't really care what religion you were"....tell that to the relative of those left behind from the many incidents where they targeted Protestant civilians. Relatively early in the conflict for example, in 1975, IRA members machine-gunned an Orange Hall in Newtownhamilton, killing five Protestants. In 1976, in Armagh, IRA members operating under the proxy name South Armagh Republican Action Force shot dead ten Protestant building workers in the Kingsmill massacre, having left the Catholic worker go. Also remember the LeMons restaurant bombing in the seventies,, the massacre of innocent church goers at Darkly, the Enniskillen Remberance day bombing etc. And the ethnic cleansing ( as perceived by many) along the border, which effectively resulted in the border being pushed back.

None of the bombing or attacks were in our name. All terrorism is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Rory has definitely positioned himself in the UK, Northern Ireland team.

I have never cheered him on or been happy for him ever since he couldn't make up his mind whether to sign up for Team GB or Team Ireland for the 2016 Olympics.

He comes across as way too serious and crab arsed for my liking anyway.

It's only a game Rory. Chill.

Ridiculous and embarrassing of him to get upset with a little bit of American banter on Saturday.

He seems a well balanced, likeable man, not big headed or arrogant like some sports stars are. Great to see him doing well at the weekend. Did you know that along with Jack Niklaus and Tiger Woods, he is one of only three players to have won four majors by the age of 25.

To be fair, it was Sinn Fein supporters who jumped on those poor man's troubles and nonsense tweets and then promoted the idea out of nowhere that the song was offensive. Littered through this thread are challenges to them to explain why someone could be offended, and they couldn't bring themselves to repeat his nonsense.

That isn't where he has positioned himself in fairness.

He has identified with Northern Ireland, seeing it as distinct from the South and from rUK, but both British and Irish.

If you want a united Ireland, he is the type of person in the middle that will have to be persuaded. The amount of abuse he gets from green-flagged good republican Twitter users would hardly endear him to the concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Can you write down why you have a issue with the song Zombee?

Is it because you thing it’s crap? Or

you don’t like the good old IRA boys being called out as murderers?

or

you feel that that sports fans are sneering at the good old IRA boys ?

or

because an issue has been made because the SF boys did not like the IRA boys being criticised for killing kids?

which one is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I think a small few on Twitter were calling them west brits.

That's a million miles from the Tanaiste saying 'anyone who criticizes this supports bombing children'

I'm sure there's a lot of people criticizing things I like on Twitter, calling me this, that and the other.

That doesn't make it a national issue where it's all over the papers and the Tanaiste's involved.

Well that's great progress. SF supporters and anyone else who doesn't like the song are free to criticize it.

It doesn't mean they 'support child murder'

I think some sf supporters like the song, I know I do, and some dislike it.

I think a criticism that's sometimes levelled at the song, by people from all sorts of backgrounds, is that it oversimplifies the history of the North.

Sorry the shinner bot data center was down yesterday and I couldn't reply.

I don't know what you mean, I like the song!

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

• Advertisement

So if you like the song and have no issue with the song……what’s your issue? Why keep posting about it?

The question was quite simple. You have posted such a huge amount of posts that obviously you have some sort of an issue with the song Zombie.

You were asked by the other person, is it because " you don’t like the good old IRA boys being called out as murderers?

or

you feel that that sports fans are sneering at the good old IRA boys ?

or

because an issue has been made because the SF boys did not like the IRA boys being criticised for killing kids?

which one is it?"

Your comrades in shinner bot HQ do not see to have such an issue with pro violence / pro IRA songs such as Celtic Synphony?

The song itself, no issue really, I quite like it.

I think it works really well as an honest reaction to a horrible atrocity.

I can see why some might think it oversimplifies the history of the north.

For them to be accused of 'supporting child murder', by our Tanaiste, is pretty shocking I think. I don't want those Trump style politics dragged into Irish sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I don't necessarily want a united Ireland. I just want Rory to get off the fence, choose a side, embrace it and cheer the feck up. He won't have to give idiotic excuses for not competing in the Olympics anymore.

He was concerned about the Zika Virus in 2016😀. Yeah right Rory.

The Americans always have a banter thing going on in the Ryder Cup. He should take it as it was intended and stop whinging.

Typically SF. Unable to answer the simplest of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Just quoting this as the point is completely lost on the unthinking shinnerbots on here particularly end of the road who seems totally incapable of anything but a dogmatic and unflinching black and white analysis of the situation. The truth is you could be green on the national question without condoning civilian and child murderers by supporting SDLP. Doesn't compute with them though. These people could kill off moderate nationalism if it ever comes to a vote making them, rather ironically, unwitting partitionists.

What a ridiculous response, especially given the question I was asked.

Sadly that's the type of muck politics that are now being pushed into Irish sports.

He has got off the fence, he has chosen Northern Ireland. Those with a binary identity fixation don't understand it, but I do.

Unwitting partitionist is actually a great description of the type of ultra-republican poster we see on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

And has represented Ireland with pride in the Olympics.

Advertisement