Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My condolences to you. I wasn’t aware you had to downgrade to an eTron. I think I’d rather the ID4 too.

Appears you can’t criticise VW either 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Worst car I have ever owned was by some distance an Audi A4 1.8T. It had to be towed four times, total lemon, constant problems. Had a 4 cylinder diesel and that was also a pos, my 6 cylinder diesel A4 Avant was great though.

To be fair, Tesla customer service is ridiculously bad, but I do love my M3.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Woodie40

As I said in the above posts VW are not perfect either.

Etron is not perfect either but a definite upgrade in regards to quality materials inside and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Tesla customer service isn't the best, part of it is that they are too open with info for the ordering process. Any other brand would pick a date and either hitvit or miss it.

The service side seems good so far, pity Dublin is closed atm but it will be back by Nov ish.

Enjoy the etron

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If it was a €12k car Vs an E-tron then fair point, but a €40k plus car (more in 2020?) shouldn't have any build quality issues regardless of badge

Now it's fair to say there'll always be a few escapes, but the after sales service needs to be there to fix those issues

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Was thinking that there are few etrons for 40k, the base price of a three.

Ofc , op might have had an S which would be more money and closer in spec and price.

Ripped seats sounds like a bad miss on QC at tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

A 2020 Tesla came from Fremont. They all come from Shanghai now and quality seems to be much higher. But the 2019,2020 versions are 4 times more reliable than an Octavia and 14 times more reliable than a Rav 4 according to ADAC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

I have a US built Tesla M3 which were renowned for quality issues, unlike RHD models now made in China.

But all issues were fixed by Tesla without any bother under warranty over the last 2 years. Simply booked in the app and arrangements were made to have them sorted by mobile service at my place or else in the workshop if needed with a replacement car. Biggest issue was waiting for parts.

Never had such easy service from any other dealer for a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Exact same experience. Had a pre-facelift Model S for two years with lots of issues, always got a free loaner car of much higher value than my own car, with free tolls and free unlimited fuel (what other car maker does that?), can't fault service but their parts supply chain is bad. I now have a facelift Model S for almost 2 years and the car has no issues, build quality hugely better And both of these were made in the USA, which will guarantee you the opposite of good build quality from any brand 😂 The Tesla cars made in Berlin and China are miles ahead in terms of build quality

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Loaners are now few and far between even compared to 12-18 months ago by all accounts. It also annoys me no end that they closed down the dublin SC entirely.

It’s open for emergencies and rangers covering the rest. I seen a ranger change a full stub axle last week on a Model 3 so there appears to be many items covered by the ranger that traditionally would have required a service centre visit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The ranger service is a huge plus for Tesla for the likes of myself being 4ish hrs away from Dublin.

That type of service is normal once you get away from cars, eg our tractors, is all done out of the back of the van [unless really necessary]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

Moving from VW to Tesla increased my insurance around 50% - I think the reason is that there is only one garage in Ireland doing more complicated body repairs and Tesla would not sell certain parts to other garages. It makes repairs more expensive and with longer wait times cost of replacement car is increased too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

As I frequent the Superchargers a lot during the week, I periodically run into them while charging. The guys are always super helpful, happy to chat and top up the windscreen washers. Even had a couple of issues diagnosed and appointments made as a result.

But I seriously love the Model S's that are modded to carry their kit. Its amazing how few tools they actually require.

How could anyone go back to a van after having that.

Ace Autobody are the sole independant approved repairer for Tesla. They are also the same for Joe Duffy BMW and many many others. Frank Keane have their own approved body shop though.

Ace have that end of the market closed due to their locations and quantity basically. They have a lot more than one location though. Finglas, Bray, Fairview to name just the ones I know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Jay Leno Hauls Tesla Semi with Tesla Semi

• Advertisement

Saw that earlier this evening. A very disruptive vehicle. Most interesting point of it is towards the end when the Tesla guy says that they firmly believe that all terrestrial transport will be electric. So no hydrogen for any transport at all, except perhaps shipping. I've been saying this for years myself too.

Which of those multiple locations can work on Tesla's aluminum body?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

The current cars are all steel panels with alu doors. The front cradle is steel or megacast depending on Model 3/Y. To repair: Bolt out the plastic, steel or alu piece: Replace with the same. Once you get down to bent chassis legs write off as any other budget car.

I think you’re mixing up the older Model S with an Aluminium body, but Would there be any difference to any other car? If you’re down to that level of repair, it’s most likely a write off no matter what the car?

I might be mixing things for sure. I think even mid-steel elements are attached to aluminum so replacing them would require tooling and expertise for this material. I have (luckily) limited experience with insurers fixing cars, but they would usually tend to replace panels rather than using less wasteful approaches.

If I'm completely wrong then it is even stranger that insures seem to go punish Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Insurers don’t ‘punish’ any specific car - it’s an industry that relies far too much on actuarial data and precedence, in order to adequately insure against similar claims in future.

the reason tesla insurance appears to be getting higher is purely down to the increasing amount of claim data available as they sell more of them - just like any other car.

things like VW’s, GM, Ford, Toyota etc share huge amounts of repairable parts across a wide range of vehicles; there’s decades of insurance data.

it’s not just the Y - another current example is trying to insure a Range Rover in London city due to the level of theft. A lot of insurers have simply stopped.

I did not meant punish in literal sense, in fact I think that issues could be caused by shortage of repairers and like Range Rovers in London this is driven by some underlying problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Absolutely correct - but that all adds to the risk profile. Remember that ‘risk’ in an insurance context doesn’t mean the chances of you having a claim, it’s the ‘risk’ of them having to pay, and how much they have to pay :)

Insurance doesn’t actually punish Tesla. There’s one or 2 posts from specific people whose circumstances may be off the charts insurance wise.

As we all know, insurance is very personal and no 2 people get the same quote generally.

For example, I was paying €236 for a 762 bhp Model S.

I currently pay €396 for a 500bhp Model 3.

The Evo 5 was €996 and one of the taxis was €2036.

As you can see, I am not been punished on insurance for the Tesla.

• Advertisement

It is hard to be sure if premium for Tesla cars are increasing but even in your example newer, simpler, weaker and cheaper to fix vehicle seems to be more expensive. I see that EVO 5 was costly, but in my experience EV insurance was always keenly priced than ICE. This seems to be true for last 12 months - with only exception being Tesla. I do not see a reason for Tesla to be fundamentally more dangerous, hence I think that limited availability of garages that can do a panel replacement after small incident could be driving premiums up and/or reluctance to insure Tesla.

Advertisement