Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A few months back they were "saying and doing nothing" and it was just used as a rod for their back.

Often by the same people now complaining when the say stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,053 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

so yes, you mean the centre to centre left as i said.

the hard left barely exist in britain, they are so small to be so irrelevant.

as i said, in the uk anything that is not of the hard to far and alt right political viewpoint is considered far left/communist/whatever you are having yourself.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,165 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"Hard Left" 🙄

Why does every political thread on this site have to descend into nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Perhaps people would like if the things they say and do one month, would remain the same things the next month or more. Maybe they'll go back to saying nothing, the saying stuff route has dropped the lead in latest poll to (a still very healthy)10%.

Anyhoo, in other news Tory Conference more than half empty for James Cleverly's speech. I'm sure it'll fill up more in coming days but dire attendance at present.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,638 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Extraordinary that it has come to this. Would Trump do it even?

• Advertisement

The same GBNews that just "cancelled" a number of reporters 🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Right leaning contrarians like to talk big about how Big Woke isn't the pulse of the man on the street. GB News' outsized footprint on social media and now the Tories is surely proof of this very idea, if from the other side of the coin. Nobody watches the station, and certainly the appeal of populism is fast fading given it offers no answers to actual problems. If I were paranoid I'd swear the Wooten stuff was fabricated to create relevance.

I'm dismayed it has been invoked by the Tories but equally: does it surprise a group of out of touch institutional toffs and racists might row behind the rattling empty vessel of British Class Exceptionalism? It's just grist for the mill of a dying demographic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What I find astonishing is the most racist and xenophobic Tories are the offspring of immigrants to the UK whose heritage is Indian. Off course, their family made loads of dosh in the UK.

Do they not look in the mirror and notice they are not like the ones they look up to - like King Charles, Mogg, etc? They resemble much closer those arriving in those little rubber boats. Surely they realise this?

Why do they think Mohamed Fayed could not get accepted by the Royal family despite spending huge sums to suck up to them and be like them, and his son getting off with the Princess of Wales?

Clearly they are not a class act. In Ireland, they would dismissed as blow-ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You mean the Royal family in the UK are blow ins, agree with that.

Something very obnoxious when people of colour espouse the race/immigrant card, I agree.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...the appeal of populism is fast fading...

Is this really the case?

Trump is still polling well in the US.

Slovakia have just voted in another populist.

And they seem to be popping up everywhere.

I'm not arguing with you - just honestly looking for reassurance that this rise on the right will pass.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The media still pay attention to what Liz Truss says, WTF?

What I find most amazing is that a UK government would gloat about more or less having a supposed independent news station as part of the team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trump's polling well among GOP voters but by all accounts the thinking is the independent and floating voters are lost. Now, he could win, we've been here before but there's also a degree of him being a busted flush. Plus, if he's convicted the 14th amendment comes into play and that might kick things into another level.

As to Slovakia, beyond the worry from their toadying to Russia I can't speak to their populism. And obviously you have the likes of the fascists being back in Italy ... but I don't feel that sense of takeover you saw with 2016 when Trump Johnson and Bolsinaro all kicked the doors down. It feels increasingly like a fad whose failure to actually deliver economically is proving their downfall. Bread and butter issues keep tripping them up.

True but there's still a cohort of those Perpetually Angry Tories who see the BBC as woke. Their editorial policy is clearly tainted by the government but culturally it remains a very diverse and inclusive station - thus has the stink of Woke on it for those incensed by brown faces on the telly, or women sitting on sports panels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm used to it at this point.

My landlord made me leave my last place. One of the benefits was that an English fella with Indian parents was constantly taking drugs, blasting crap music and having parties. Said fella has now developed a habit of asking the housemates when they're returning to their own country and boasting about "being racist against everyone". Of course, he can't hold down a job and has been evicted since.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The party conference seems barking mad. Lots of speakers praising GB News and Nigel Farage (since when are Farage and the Tories working hand in hand?).

They always had the media behind them but the difference is they used be intelligent enough to keep it behind the scenes.

I have raised eyebrows at the fact that a supposedly radical and outspoken independent TV channel 'giving a voice to the voiceless' just happens to find itself totally in cahoots with the current government with its 80s seat majority. You would nearly expect such a channel to be attacking the current govt on many issues (even if they have a similar right wing populist agenda) not working as its official propaganda arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

I lost some respect for Rory Stewart today on The Rest Is Politics podcast when he called Theresa May “one of my political heroes”.

I very much appreciate the respectful tone that he and Alastair Campbell bring to their podcast, but by any measure, she was dire. I really don’t like how she’s gradually been rebranded as somewhat successful, just because she isn’t totally evil and is capable of the most basic level of competence in certain areas.

She played no small role in the debasement of public discourse with her “Brexit means Brexit” crap, creation of the hostile environment that has emboldened populists like Cruella Braverman to go further and further, and complete failure to get her party to coalesce around any one form of Brexit. And she gambled on a general election and lost their majority.

She always struck me as a limited, parochial sort of person, who’s never ventured outside the Home Counties in terms of expanding her frame of reference. Why on earth would she be anyone’s political hero?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

And I actually think she’s a good guest for the podcast, and I don’t believe in an echo chamber, or in being rude to people- but there was no need for Stewart’s sycophancy either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It honestly looks like the Tories have gone into full disaster mode in their conference. There's not a single idea I can see. It's all about the next front in the culture war, nonsense about Sadiq Khan, conspiracy theories about 15-minute cities and Liz Truss. Somehow.

I wasn't around for the Major years but I can't imaging they were anything near this toxic in 1997. An abysmal low for Europe's oldest political party.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Lewis Goodall says on social media it's like a UKIP or Brexit Party conference...the lurch in that direction by the Tories is incredible.

Unbelievably, Farage is actually attending the conference and is being treated like a hero by the delegates.

Unbelievably, Farage is actually attending the conference and is being treated like a hero by the delegates.

It really is unbelievable.

The likes of Pritti Patel, Suella Braverman and Richi Sunak would sell their grandmothers for a seat at a particular table (i.e. the whites of a certain class one), even if it was only the table leaf that was reluctantly unfolded for the purpose. It's no accident that people like Patel and Braverman were chosen to be the faces of the Tory party's more distasteful policies.

As far as Al Fayed was concerned, there's more going on there than would meet the eye. Al Fayed was a pretty "obnoxious" character and wouldn't have been admitted within certain Royal circles, irrespective of his racial background or how much money he tried to but access with. And his son knocking about with Diana was never going to be anything but a scandal within the houses of Royalty, especially as the ink wasn't even dry on her and Charles' divorce papers. Speaking of Charles, even he wasn't allowed to marry the woman he wanted to because her past was considered less than savoury...as in she wasn't a virgin and had had previous relationships.

I think that was the quiet part being said out loud.

I'm not sure the party is even representing its own voters any longer. Many of them would be uncomfortable with Braverman's carry on and the links with Farage and GB News etc.....a lot of them also think Liz Truss is barking mad, so God knows what they made of her being treated like a party celebrity yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Extraordinarily foolish comment, bordering on racism itself.

Any person, no matter their background, are entitled to hold views on immigration.

Second or third generation immigrants shouldn't have to conform a set of beliefs that is deemed ok. They are free to believe what they want.

It seems to me that posters here believe immigrants should be grateful and keep their mouth shut.

She wants tax rates to come down to the Irish levels. And here in Ireland, the current parties want to drop taxation again.

Yes she seems like a perfectly nice lady but she was clearly out of her depth in the top job.

She also ran anti immigration campaign while she was a Minister which Rory has forgotten about.

I even find May's recent interviews painful. She's too awkward to loosen up and it would be the worst Xmas present to inflict her book on someone. Second perhaps to Tony Holohans book.

I have some time for Rory Stewart, but I wouldn't share his respect for Teresa May. In fairness to her, though, she was handed the poison chalice of Brexit and had to run with it. But her lean into it (plus the gibberish campaign she headed) is what makes her distasteful and she was spectacularly unsuitable for the big job even if, in comparison to the likes of what came after her she almost ends up looking like a female Clement Atlee*. In reality, however, her days were numbered as soon as she moved into No.10 precisely because of her limitations.

There is part of me that sort of feels sorry for her though.

*Academic ranking of British PM's have, thus far, placed Teresa May's tenure at rock bottom. But the rankings for 2020 and beyond have yet to be determined AFAIK.

• Advertisement

Is Rory Stewart's podcast any good? I need a replacement for Oh God, What Now? since Ian Dunt left. I just don't enjoy most of the people on it now.

As for Theresa May, I find it hard to respect her beyond her having some degree of principle. She implemented the vile hostile environment policy and pandered to the strident Europhobes in her party, culminating in her own defenestration. She also somehow lost the 2017 election with one of the worst policies I've ever seen the "dementia tax", backed up by nothing but repeated utterings of "strong and stable". Without any sort of policy accomplishment to her name, she's likely to be forgotten beyond Wikipedia's list of UK Prime Ministers.

Fun Fact, her full name was mentioned once last year on this site:

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement