Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,814 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Seems that they have been rapidly increasing artillery shell production arms production over the last year, might be up to 2 million a year next year, well short of the 10mn they fire a year

Its far inferior to the West's ammunition but it has the advantage of actually being made and shipped to the front line.

The EU has been talking about giving Ukraine a million shells and building up to a million shells produced a year, slow and weak effort.

Every day that this is not concluded with a Ukrainian win is a little uptick in Russian chances of holding most of what they have long term.

Ukraine can be thankful for what it has received but will rightly also feel it was short changed to break the Russian war machine but leave Putin enough gains to keep in power and ensure Russian State stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

It looks like fathers, brothers, uncles and sons not dying. Putin isn’t immortal. Get as much back as is possible at the moment and negotiate, in good faith in the future. It’s never the rich and powerful, nor the keyboard warriors who are on the front lines dying.

Why have so many left Ukraine for Europe? Why has Zelensky had to make speeches asking people to return to Ukraine to fight? Why did he have to create a law to stop able bodied men leaving the country?

That doesn’t sound like a people who want to fight to the death

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

And it's posts like yours that allow Bullys and warmongers to achieve their goals.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

What do Ukrainians want?

You seem have swallowed hook line and sinker the idea that it is at the behest of "the west" that the Ukrainians want to defend themselves. Otherwise they would be happy to roll over, eh?

It the the stated policy of the Russians to cleanse the areas taken over of "anti Russian" leaders and officials. Lest there be any doubt this is through torture, rape murder and displacement. They are fathers, brothers, uncles, sons, mothers, sisters, aunts, and daughters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,882 ✭✭✭✭josip

Because Russia invaded their country to murder, rape, kidnap and loot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a bit ironic chiding people about being keyboard warriors then volunteering parts of Ukraine like it's nothing, having no worry about the outcome of flippantly giving the bully what it wants. This was already tried with Crimea, so that went well. Should Ukraine just incrementally volunteer regions indefinitely? Cos Russia wants the whole prize, we know this.

Not sure either why simply waiting for Putin to die is a valid option, given there's as good a chance an equally USSR nostalgic replacement arrives in his stead. Or that they'd be receptive to simply making do with ... oh yeah yet more Ukraine.

"Peace at any cost" is easy to trumpet safe in Ireland wouldn't you say? A nice handy pillar of moral superiority that presents as peace loving. Harder to defend when you know the aggressor considers the Ukrainian people surplus to requirements in any further Russian Ukraine. Ukraine fights cos it knows the alternative. Maybe listen to them.

And no, not every wants to fight. I wouldn't. I'd leave if Ireland were invaded. It's a reasonable choice and not reflective of some resting desire for peace. My work colleague courrently set in Croatia wants Ukraine free but has desire to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Do you think Russia was justified in invading Ukraine? The leader of Slovakia does and you implied him to be neutral...

So your colleague wants others to fight and die for his freedoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,425 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭yagan

Some people want to give into Putin to justify their own failure to tackle bullies in their own lives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kinda missing the point but not going to speak for my colleague beyond his actions. Which is that not all choose to fight. Care to at least address the rest of my post or are you content to affect superiority for thinking Peace at any Cost has merit in all scenarios?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

You know the drill. Should countries stop providing support for Ukraine and Russia were to get the upper hand and take a larger chunk of the country leaving a rump Ukraine as Putins puppet, the same posters would be on here decrying "war mongers goading Russia into further aggression" for insisting that a minimum standard of human rights is applied to Ukrainians in occupied territories.

Sure but for once I'd like these posters to be honest about their intent and stop this pretence that they're so very concerned about the dead of Ukraine. But it's just a front for affecting superiority over others; their opening posts smugly lambasting people here indicative enough - even if they're not so self-aware as to spot the irony in chiding sofa warmongering while indugling in armchair geopolitics.

Apparently peace under a despot is better than death defending your homeland. Someone should tell these people fighting in Bakhmut it's better to be a slave than a fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭castor 1

Neotiate in “good faith” is not possible with Russia - a kleptocratic autocracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And it is Russia who has demonstrated this time and time again, clearly breaking negotiated agreements with Ukraine multiple times.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭amandstu

"Ukraine can be thankful for what it has received but will rightly also feel it was short changed to break the Russian war machine but leave Putin enough gains to keep in power and ensure Russian State stability"

Hurts to say it but maybe even Ukraine has an interest in Russian State stability?0

I think we may well do too -at least in something like a controlled collapse(seems to be coming one way or the other-such fools to imagine they can "elect" dictators and prosper)

(To your other point)Sure Ukraine may feel thankful for the support it has received but it would be entitled to 10 times as much anger and disillusion had it not been so supported.

We are supporting them in our own self interest.They are fighting a war that will mean we don't have to get our own hands dirty and bloody.

Post edited by amandstu on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Can't tell if this is trolling or not. Will just assume you know very little about the situation based on the statement above.

Russia invaded on 24th Feb 2022. Many assumed that Russia would take the country in a matter of days/weeks. Putin is an authoritarian dictator, the aim was to occupy the country and subjugate (including systematic murder/torture/imprisonment/sham trials/rape/abduction). Millions naturally fled (mostly women, children and the old).

Contrary to just about every analyst's prediction, Ukrainian forces and volunteers put up an exceptional defense, far exceeding any expectations. They didn't just hold Russia outside the capital, they actually pushed them back, quite considerably. Russian forces now occupy around 18% of the country. As a result of this action, people did start returning to Ukraine last year (at one point in 2022, Ukr forces stopped recruiting as they had enough troops, and were focusing on quality over quantity)

There's an ebb and a flow, e.g. during the winter last year, when Russia targeted energy infrastructure in an effort to freeze Ukraine, naturally some people left. Obviously those from areas which have been occupied, or those based near the frontline haven't been able to return or have had to relocate to the West of the country.

National and domestic public support within Ukraine against the war has been overwhelming throughout the entire period. The figures are high majorities.

This is their decision to defend themselves, they are aware of the costs they are paying. When/how they decide to go to the table is also their decision. Not anyone else's, certainly not Putin supporters and appeasers cosplaying as "peace activists".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Millions and millions of Ukrainians have remained in Ukraine and are willing to fight. Not everyone is in a position to fight. They are the people who have left. The very same thing would happen in most major countries in the world if they were invaded. What a dis - informative post you have made there. Wonder what you’re trying to achieve by making such posts ??? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭amandstu

"Wonder what you’re trying to achieve by making such posts ???"

Deflect?Satisfy delusions of adequacy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,814 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A Russian collapse in to chaos would likely be a century defining event.

Letting them hold ground shows the days of Pax Americana and the idea of the West enforcing global order, stability, a rule of law are nearly over.

That's a big thing as well,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

One cannot negotiate in good faith with a country that has repeatedly broken previous agreements, invaded a neighbouring sovereign country and murdered, tortured, raped, 'disappeared' and kidnapped its citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,054 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There have always been conscientious objectors in wars, and cowards plain and simple, and their existence has never meant that the majority of people wouldn't fight to the death for a cause. In Ukraine's case, there must have also been a sizeable number of people who had always wanted to emigrate into an EU country, and their eyes lit up when they heard that the visa restrictions were scrapped. Those people couldn't get into the EU quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

99 rub to USD

Let's see if they can break 100 again

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Would you be happy to have your wife/mother/daughter/sister gang-raped by Russian soldiers occupying your country in the name of "peace"?

Perhaps you have no women you care about in your life? If that's the unlikely case, maybe you'd be happy to be tortured or castrated by those same occupying Russian soldiers for that "peace"?

If not, why do you propose this as a valid option for Ukrainians?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭Christy42

And when Russia invades again in a years time rearmed and supply lines ready for this new front? Should we give up the rest of the Ukraine then?

How many more will die then?

I do always wonder what it must look like for these bad faith posters when they log in again and their Notifications is just this giant stream of slap downs.

We've already had the "Ukraine is corrupt" track in the Greatest Hits so I presume they'd simply downplay russian atrocities as propaganda, or attempt to call your bluff to find the proof for them.

The best path for peace, tragically, sometimes lies through war. Otherwise democracy has no intrinsic value if it's not worth fighting for during a clear existential crisis. Would I fight? Would any of us? I don't think I would but I also can't say because whatever else the UK was, they didn't lust after our lands the way Russia lusts for its USSR borders, or wipe out Ukrainians in the siezed territories.

Would I fight if Ireland was invaded? I'd like to say I would but in reality an out-of-shape, forty-something with crap eyesight isn't going to be much use on the frontlines so signing up to "fight" for me would more than likely mean helping out in some logistic capacity: cooking, servicing equipment, helping out in a medical facility etc. and I'd certainly be volunteering to do such work if it meant defending my family from a barbaric agressor like Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

To be fair with the the way drones are those 40/50/60 year olds could literally be using drones and taking out tanks etc. Not exactly on the front line but distance from it, so I say in years to come u could literally be in 1 part of the country and flying small drones and could be taking tanks out and would not need to be near the frontlines at all.

• Advertisement

You're not wrong on the distance stuff but I'd assume that just like fighter pilots, younger drone operators are preferable due to their naturally higher levels of eye-hand co-ordination. An army will always need cooks though and that's definitely one thing I think we all get better at with age!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement