Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• “I hate seeing people get ridiculed because they bought a particular car. So what. They should get over it.”

that’s the hilarious thing, it’s pretty much all you do on boards motors (both ice and electric), how many threads do you end up having rows with other posters and it’s reams and reams of back and over between you and another poster(I feel privileged to have joined that list by the way, think I’m number 253).

just pointing out that it’s happened loads of times that im enjoying a thread then it’s game over because gumbo has started another 2 page row with a new poster and won’t stop until the other poster gives up.

do you not see the hypocrisy in your posts that I have highlighted. Seriously think about it before you commit to another evening of winning an internet argument, you have already wasted most of your day at it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I seem to have struck a nerve with you. I can only apologise for that. Have a great evening 👍

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

IEVOA was asked because of the reaction it gets. Based on previous experience it can happen. I seen that post though.

General cars like Fiats, fords, Toyotas, Nissans will never wave at each other. They are 2 a penny. A bit like Tesla nowadays.

Sure Nissan leaf owners used to wave at each other in the early days. At the start it’s a small club but it grows I suppose.

There’s always sub groups in the above though. I was at an impromptu Toyota gathering a little while back and the GR Guys certainly wave at each other. They are a really small club in fairness. Some cars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Anyone here since 2015/16 has heard the ‘tesla is going to consume the OEMs’ argument soooo often now that you’d do well to just ignore those people’s opinion completely. The fabled M3 has never got higher that top 30-35 selling modes in Ireland in the 3 full years it’s been on sale. Hardly a revolution.

likewise, there are people who still view tesla as the 2016-19 tesla - the reality is that, while they only build 1.5 models, they now build them well.

then there’s the people who on principle won’t buy a MAGA car from musk. It’s become a buying factor lately, irrespective of what owners might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

€55.4k OTR for the MYLR. You could get 2k off with discounts until end of September. I seen a couple videos on YouTube where they dyno the MYLR and it output about 360hp standard and 460hp with acceleration boost. Other dyno charts I've seen says the M3LR has 490hp output, very conflicting info. I need to do more searching.

• Advertisement

Agh, I was thinking the poster was talking about the RWD.

I thought the LR had around 400ish alright.

Post edited by Gumbo on

That's it, Tesla are not the company they used to be. They are mainstream, mass market supplier now. Gone is the one on one make the customer feel special attitude but some remnants of that remain. The Service Rangers are fantastic. That service alone makes me consider them over another OEM. Last week I had to get the G30 520d recall carried out. it was a software update, nothing else. I had to book it into Duffy's, drop it there for 10am and it was ready for 4pm. Not a major headache, but the whole day was wasted running around to get the car there, then get back to collect it for such a simple procedure. But that's the price you pay for the big showroom, the lovely girls on reception and the coffee dock with fresh fruit!

Musk has driven a whole group of society away from the cars too, they associate the car with him. I personally don't follow his movements, don't follow his socials and couldn't give a crap what he says or does but there are many that do.

I don't think the Model 3 or Y will ever be the top tier car, I would put them in with Honda, Toyota etc

There's lots of choice in the market and that's the main thing, we need people to be buying the new i4's now, so that others can buy them second hand in 5 years, same for Tesla, the same way you can pick up a Civic for cheap compared to a used 3 series for example, the Civic (Tesla) may be faster, and if that's what you want, brilliant, others don't, and that's fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

As a Tesla owner I'd definitely agree that the marque attracts more than its fair share of absolute tossers as owners (not speaking of anyone here of course!). The carry on on the Facebook group is cringe worthy and frankly primary school level bullshit - this "I'm going to post that on the IEVOA page and they'll all go mad" (and it happens a lot) is embarrassing - especially as the supposed 'outraged reactions from jealous owners of other marques' are usually other Tesla owners just trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

any driving on no insurance! I just picked up mine on Thursday. Didn’t realise there was such an insurance issue. No problem with the Leaf!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

From various bits I've seen online, it seems that car insurance has jumped massively across the board in the UK this year, not just EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

The difference is a choice of coffee won't kill but speed does. Anyway, I don't actually disagree majorly, just an interesting debate/discussion on where this new performance will go - and the subscription nature of car capability.

😎

I think we are at the limits now until the plaid gets into the hands of people second hand. Although that may never happen here with the LHD situation.

Model 3 P @3.1 to 60, Seal AWD @ 3.8 to 60, i4 M50 somewhere in between.

Model S (older versions) 2.6 to 60. Surely we can’t get that lower outside of the mega cars (plaid etc)

Horses for courses and all that, the choice is welcomed.

Subscriptions…..that’s a whole new ball game, and not something I’d be fond of.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭olympicweights

Don't forget the MG4 at 3.8 seconds or quicker if we see any here. I think the price will keep them very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

I must be getting old as much as I like quick cars I've never had a problem pulling out, joining a motorway or changing lanes in a fully loaded transit van.

Anyway, back on the subject of the Model Y, Mrs Traco collected this on Friday and I think after the few days is starting to fall in love with it. Still a lot of learning to do and I might throw up a thread on the buying experience and honeymoon period over the coming weeks.

This is Tess (apparently the ladies in my house want cars named, we already have a Donna and mine have been branded the turtle and Dumbo)!?!?!?

Well wear

( I’m trying to figure out the difference in driveway gradient between yourself and your neighbour!?)

Would love to hear your own experience - plenty speculation and conjecture on Y insurance this past week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

Quite a bit of a difference but means we have our own side entrance as mmost houses are shared on our street. It does mean we get sheltered from the North East weather through.

Insurance company just swapped cover from her 2007 ML 320CDi, no costs mentioned and the ploicy runs until end of April I think. I have seen the insurance stories so we will see how that plays out over time but I think the tax saving (1,500 vs 120) will definitely cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

The extremely conservative Irish market is not a good indicator on worldwide sales trends. Probably explains the historical Model 3 performance compared to many other Western markets. Not sure I buy that MAGA either: You don't really see the crowds over there driving their Model 3 with gun racks to a local Trump convention, although that may change with the Cybertruck being released. But that product might be a bit too unconventional compared to the F150. It's more the urban latte crowd that choose EVs in US I'd think.

I guess MAGA is one way of putting the more democratically minded Tesla owners in their place to show how wrong they are driving a Tesla. It's bit like educating us for our wrong doings, taking the Tesla driver down a peg. You get the idea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Have it on temp cover at the moment. Trying to get through to CS is proving difficult

• Advertisement

my reg (picke up on Thurdsay) is 750 vs your 23000. Not much spread in car sales!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

For anyone who may be undecided about ordering a car from Inventory the Incentive of reduced finance costs are likely only to remain for orders made up to and including Thursday of this week. (Mod 3 LR RWD 0% APR compared to usual 6.9% APR, All other models 3.9% APR compared to 6.9% APR. 

These savings are less visible than the Showroom Adjustments (still available on Inventory cars) but can save thousands over life of loan.

sorry if I’m misunderstood - by maga I simply mean that musk has clearly pushed the Democrat US buyer away, and the Republican US buyer doesn’t buy EVs, so it effects tesla in that way.

im also more referring to the “I bought this before musk went nuts” bumper stickers et al.

regarding the conservative Irish market, I don’t really buy that reasoning - the m3 doesn’t sell well here, it’s just a fact. Remove ULEZ, company cars, and (especially) private cheap-cheap lease deals from UK sales (where it was no.1 selling car in 2021) and you’d be staring at a similar picture. Telling us about how it sells in other countries is a bit moot. Literally hundreds of cars sell poorly here and great elsewhere.

the real value will be had next year when all those 3yr lease deals end in the Uk and the second hand market gets flooded as owners get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I don't really see the MAGA you explain being issue for anybody but the most melty of owners or buyers. The sales don't seem to be affected either so it seems to be biggest issue to non-Tesla cohort and the UAW (union), not to mention the forces that want to keep EVs from winning. You know who.

I wouldn't really classify Model 3 as a sales flop Europe wide for Tesla based on the sales in Ireland. The current Model 3 is getting towards the end of its lifecycle before the refresh and the price is within 10% of the much more usable Y (the three is not really suitable as a family car tbh) so it's not a coincidence that the latter have really trounced the former. Irish car market is really traditional, which applies to models, colours, dealers, and the EV sales have been lagging behind the other Western European markets until very recently. When the Model 3 was new it was roughly 30% more expensive than the other volume EVs on the market at the time. Unlike UK and many other markets, Ireland doesn't have a big company car culture so car of that price was not applealing for most buyers unless you really wanted one.

The balance of pricing have of course been drastically changed since 2021: MY and M3 have come down a lot while the competition kept hiking up the prices to match Tesla's "before the price slash of 2023". It's very difficult to beat the Y for value as a spaceous family car or 3 just as a car compared to other cars in class. Musk and the direct sales model may cause some private people to avoid a Tesla, but luckily it's a free world and there are choices.

That’s a normal cycle IMO.

We used to mop up the 3 year 320d as it came back into the auctions in the UK. Shipped over here and sold quick for 3-4K profit. Rinse and repeat.

Of those sellers of the 3 year leases get rid of, the big question is if they will jump into another EV of some sort or back to ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Last week I had a problem charging the car. The scheduled charging failed and the boost or fast charging wouldn't start either. The car said the charging equipment wasn't recognised.

I had a look on the myenergi forum and seen that a few others were having similar issues. I reckoned it was a Tesla problem as the other EV at home charges and works exactly as it's supposed to. I put in a service request, and Tesla service messaged me over the weekend and said they couldn't find any problems after running remote diagnostics.

I finally got the charging working yesterday and the scheduled charging worked last night. I'm beginning to think that the problem is in the charge port of the car, that one of the small pins may be loose or not making proper contact.

Anyone experience anything like this recently??

I'll wait a while before putting in another service request until I've narrowed it down more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes I had a few charging problems with the Zappi since I got my Model 3 in March 2022. (No problems with any other cars). Recently had to replace tethered cable and plug on our Zappi due to cracking, has been faultless since.

It’s a Zappi problem I’m seeing. Since the big update in August there has been many problems. I’m getting issues charging the bmw.

Requires lots of resetting and repairing at times!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Make sure your Zappi (and very importantly if you have one) and EDDI are both on latest firmware or at least 5.0 or above. The last major update for the Zappi required the EDDI to also update in order for both to work correctly.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

I don't have an Eddi. I have an iBoost for heating the water and a harvi for the WiFi connectivity. Firmware is up to date, but no signs of any cracking yet. Warranty is until 2025, so hopefully won't need it. The plug definitely feels loose in the charge port compared to the wife's Kona.

Advertisement