Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amsterdam Marathon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

Hi @chabsey

I was listening to a podcast with Matt Fox, can't find the link, he had app developers on, their product was Kaisen. 31 free trial that interprets your Strava data and spits out a time.

I've been given 3'17, which I think is about right.

I have zero to do with it and have deleted it since, I was just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

Thanks......I'm nervous now as to whether I should look into that or not :)

I know exactly what you mean, my marathon isn't till December, so don't mind knowing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Taking every morsel of my willpower not to click that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Don't, I did 😶 a whole 30 seconds improvement on last year... hardly seems worth the effort now

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Apparently I'm running a 4:00:58, which is my HM x2 - 10 minutes, so I think the algorithm needs a bit of tweaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

As if this block of training couldn't get any worse, I've tested positive for Covid this morning after flu symptoms since Monday. Need it out of the system ASAP!!

Timing could be worse on this one, you'll have it out of your system in time and be raring to go.

Anyone looking to book Dublin Airport parking should probably do it soon.

There'll be high demand with the Irl All Blacks game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

I had it again recently, totally cleared up in 4 days and I only missed one run

Going to get out for a jog later and see how it goes, not too bad today anyway. Luckily no pressure for a race time.

Parking sorted and the suitcases are out. It's getting real now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Glad you are feeling better, hopefully the run goes ok for you! Yep can't believe it's marathon week already😊

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheRef

For what its worth (which should be very little), I tested positive in August. Day 1 of symptoms felt bad, 2 felt the worst I've felt in years, but from there it got better. I took 3 days off running and came back running easy for a couple of weeks. On day 8 after first symptom though, I ran 25k, so fingers crossed, you'll be better for the weekend and enjoy the run.

Still has time to change but the weather is not looking ideal for this, rain is fine but the wind looks quite strong. Hopefully by tomorrow it might have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭token56

Best of luck to everyone doing this on Sunday. My last few weeks have been a bit of a nightmare with injury but I've decided to still give it a go. My hopes of a sub 3 are likely gone but maybe something miraculous can happen.

I agree the weather doesn't appear to be ideal but hopefully the wind eases up a small bit or at least running in large crowds might minimize the impact.

Expo was great, in and out despite the large crowds. Good buzz about the place. Best of luck to you all tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Best of luck to you all tomorrow. Looking forward to reading the reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Good luck guys, 🤞🤞🤞🤞. Give it your all

• Advertisement

That was feckin unreal!!! The hailstones jaysus. It went much better than expected so I’m very happy.

I’ve my mini race report on Strava , would love to connect with fellow Boardsies!

https://strava.app.link/sfldn9y0UDb

blob:https://www.boards.ie/fad273ed-fcaf-40f6-9dd1-9753e0b12409 There was an error displaying this embed.

Also very well done to everyone who ran - seen a couple from here and it looks very positive all round :-D

Race Report Amsterdam Marathon 2023

This will be relatively brief as I am not good at recalling specifics of laps during any marathon. Second time doing Amsterdam, I was here in 2022 for my first proper marathoning failure, I was undertrained and tried a bunch of new things on the day, basically everything you’re not supposed to do. By 10km in I knew I was failing rapidly so I actually wasn’t that annoyed at crossing the line in 3:28 even though the aim starting out was 3:10. 

Following Hanson’s plan again (I PB’d in 2018 using Hanson’s Advanced) I’d put in a far more consistent training block this time around, starting initially with the hope of a sub 3 but abandoning that when it became obvious it was asking too much. The problem I found though was settling on a new alternative finishing time. 

Normally I’d use the Hansons’s tempo run to decide this, run a few at varying marathon paces and decide from there. It seemed that every tempo run it was either too hot or too windy (or both) to be able to get in a run that I wasn’t in bits by the second half. Did this mean I was setting out too fast initially or just that headwinds / heat were going to be my downfall? I never found out because the plan finished up before I could get a clean run at one. So, race day dawned and the best I could say was I’d try for 4:20 per km and see where I ended up. One thing I did find out though was that once my HR drifted into 160+ I was in trouble and likely to crash out pretty quickly unless I slowed down.

Weather on the day was not looking great, winds and rain predicted which meant I was adjusting expectations up until the morning of. Woke at 4am, up by 6 after managing a few hours of sleep, usual routine - bagel, banana and then drinks. Maurten160 (not sure about this stuff) followed by some water up until an hour before. Friends had recommended a weather app the locals use called Drops which they said was extremely accurate. It predicted a few showers but also a torrential downpour at 8:30, right when I’d be in the Olympic stadium warming up. With that knowledge banked, we headed off to the stadium. Bag check went smoothly, black plastic poncho at the ready I checked the time, 8:25, time to get in doors. There’s a covered arch on the way into the stadium so I hung back there thinking I’ll give it a few minutes and see what that sky does. Pretty much exactly at 8:30 the heavens opened, people scattered everywhere and the arch I’d been sheltering in suddenly was jammed. The hail storm (yes, hail) lasted only about 5 or 6 minutes but would have soaked me. Once it lessened to an acceptable level we all headed out and began the last few minutes of waiting and warming up.

4:20 was in my mind as I tried to push my way between the 3:00 and 3:10 pacers in the pen, then, somewhat anticlimactically we were suddenly running. I was desperately searching for those pacers again, sure they’d gone out just ahead of me. Finally I caught a glimpse of the 3:10 guys a good bit ahead, this made no sense, I was tracking 4:10 on my watch which was way too fast for 3:10 but I barrelled ahead to catch them anyway, trusting in them more than my watch. After clocking the first few kms faster than I had thought I should be I checked again and realised it was actually the 3:00 pacer I was tracking so I backed off.

As mentioned above I’m not good at recalling specific laps but my main feeling was one of relief that after the initial downpour the weather seemed to have settled. Kms flew by and my main memory is one of the feeling of stark contrast between last year and this, things seemed so much easier this time around. 

My friends were there cheering me on at varying stages and I took a lot of heart in the fact that I was always in a good enough state to see them and interact happily with them. However, by about the midway point I realised the thought of taking any more gels was something I couldn’t stomach. This was followed swiftly by me bypassing all the water stops, I thought of drinking just made me want to vomit. It was a worry because I knew that generally if I couldn’t stomach a gel it was likely because my pace was too fast and the end was possibly nigh in terms of goal finishing time. Up till that point I’d been clocking in or around 4:20s, sometimes quicker sometimes slower. 

On the reverse leg of the Amstel section the skies darkened again and the wind picked up, suddenly there was another, albeit lesser downpour and the wind was sideswiping me. Was this how the remainder of the race was going to be? Then, just as suddenly, it stopped and the sun came out again, fears retreated. Pace was maintaining, I wasn’t feeling the effects of no gels or water yet. At around the 30 - 35km mark I realised that while my heart and lungs were in great condition, my legs were starting to feel tired. This was mainly quad aches, something I’d experienced before in my previous PB run of 3:15 a few years back. Again more fears, was this cramp because of no water? Keep going and see is the plan, pace is maintaining roughly around 4:20, a few spikes into 4:30 but overall ok. 

Then we were in the Vondel park and the last few kms. I engaged my mind in trying to calculate worst case scenarios for finishing times. Even if I slowed right down at this stage I’d still be sub 3:10 which was my main aim but I felt like I’d more to give, just the legs were in pain. 41 - 42k and we’re out of the park, one last cheer from friends and I’m heading towards the stadium. I have enough energy to now pick other runners off, pass them by and then a last sprint towards the finish line.  

Over the line and feeling pretty good all things considered. Checking my watch it looks like it was 3:07, officially confirmed moments later - an 8 minute PB and given the whole gel / water situation I was happy. Average pace of 4:23 and HR stayed in the low to mid 150s at all stages.

Overall I’d fully recommend Amsterdam having now done it twice. Support is good it was well organised. If you get the weather it’s a great opportunity on a very flat course. Thanks to everyone on here for help during the training plan. Special mention to @Lazare for the words of encouragement, never met up for those beers in the end but there’s always next time when we go sub 3!

Perfectly executed. Very well done man, huge congrats. 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Great report @chabsey. Well done on a super PB. @chabsey

Smashing report, congratulations on the huge pb.

Still buzzing after that weekend! Hope everyone arrived home safe & sound and the legs are recovering nicely!!

Will definitely run this again, what a great trip 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

My race report is in my log. 3:13:12, a 3:35 PB. Loved the event. I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Amsterdam Marathon - Chip time 3:17:22

God where do I even start with this? The two lads have already wrote really great reports so now we'll see it from my perspective! I still feel like I'm dreaming, every time I really think about it I think did I really do that & was it as comfortable as it felt!

So the trip started early in the airport, seen S & C, the excitement & buzz was great. I was with my family, it was so amazing having them with me for support. The flight over was quick & the trip to the hotel was fairly seamless too, have to say the public transport(once you got used to it) was amazing! After settling into the hotel I said goodbye to my lot who were heading off & I went to meet S & C at the Olympic Stadium to the expo. I was buzzing when I got there, the I AM AMSTERDAM sign, the Olympic Stadium, the crowds, it was all amazing. I got my number & tshirt & met up with the lads. Bought some maurten race pack & a very funky pair of socks🌻 We then headed off for a bite to eat & a nice chat about our race plans etc. Back to the hotel feeling tired from all the travels & excitement & met my lot shortly afterwards as I chilled in my room. I got a decent nights sleep, felt very content & felt like I had a good plan in place. I woke early & had my porridge, a banana & made my maurten drink to sip on. Had agreed to meet the lads at 8:30 so my lot were up & ready to leave with me as they wanted to sort where they would support me. We got there & had a bit of a walk from the tram, as we were walking there was an awful hail shower, stupidly none of us had any raingear at all on so we were all absolutely soaked, it was a bit crap but I just shrugged it off as there was nothing I could do about it. I said goodbye to my lot & found S & C, my hoody was soaked through so I just got changed & threw everything into the bag drop & off we went to find our starting point. It was a bit confusing but we got there eventually starting a lot further back than we had planned. I knew all I needed to do was focus on my race, my plan, my splits! I took 6 maurten gels & drank at every station, the isotonic drink & water all except for the last one. I feel I got my fuelling spot on this year thankfully.

0 -5km (24:34) We were off, wasn't very long till I lost sight of the lads as we all executed our own plans. My plan was to run conservatively for the 1st 4km at least then hopefully settle into an even enough pace then pick it up at the end if I could. The 1st bit out of the stadium was great but once out onto the road it was very congested & there was a lot of weaving to do, frustrating at times but I knew it was helping me with the conservative start. I hit the 1st 5km at 24:34, a little slower than I should be but that was ok.

6 - 10km (48.10)

Still a fair bit of weaving going on here as the course narrowed a bit, there was a small out & back loop & we could see the speedsters passing by on the other side of the road. It was around here I seen my family, lots of cheers from them, go frecks, run crazy legs, go momma E! They had spread themselves out a bit so was great to hear them at each little bit, I was grinning from ear to ear, they have a video of me & you can just see tiny me waving & smiling behind a lot taller fellas, it's very funny to see! Luckily for me the smiles continued all the way around the course especially as I was dressed in an Ireland singlet, shorts & my orange calf sleeves. I got so many cheers, c'mon Ireland, sorry about the rugby, go Irish amongst a few other things, the support was amazing all the way around. Seeing my family made me so happy & it really is a boost for morale!

11 - 15km (1:11:48)

This section led to the Amstel as we ran along the canal for a fair bit. I thought this might feel like it would go on forever but it actually didn't. Again it was quite narrow & congested as I headed up towards the 3:30 pace group. I passed by them as it started raining, the wind also seemed to pick up a bit but I didn't feel it too badly as there were so many of us running together. Again my Ireland top got some comments & another Irish bloke started chatting to me for a bit, I left him at some stage as I again tried to get around people. Again I hit the 15km split a bit slower than planned but I wasn't concerned.

16 - 20km (1:35:42) 21 - 25km (1:59:18)

Still on the canal for this section & the next, feeling good despite a lot of weaving still going on!

26 - 30km (2:22:23)

Back out onto the roads now & the amazing support of the crowds, don't remember too much of the places I ran by here but I knew I was feeling good & still smiling at anyone I made contact with or who called my name. I hit the 30km spot on target feeling good so was very very happy at this stage.

31 - 35km (2:45:36)

Again I don't remember too much about this but god I was feeling amazing, I had to think carefully about what I would do next, this was the only time through the whole marathon that I had a bit of unsure thoughts, they came from trying to decide when would be best to up my pace, what if I did & started suffering, what if I was running that fine line where your pace feels good then you push it & it really hurts. I decided I would up my pace slightly from 35km onwards then pick it up even more for the last 5km if I could.

36 - 40km (3:08:03)

I was over a minute faster than where I should be & this gave me huge confidence, at some stage here I remember thinking, Fook I have this!! I knew I just had to see it out & I was defo going sub 3:20. We entered Vondelpark at some stage here & I loved it, lots of cheers for the Irish top here this just spurred me on, I also passed by a few runners who had cramped up & were trying to walk them off etc, really felt it for them. I decided to skip the last water station here as I really wanted to keep this momentum going!

41 - Finish (3:17:22)

I genuinely can't explain the feeling as I got faster & faster as I knew I was so close, the cheers & support along here was like nothing else. I picked up speed again as I passed the flag lined street which turns onto the I AM AMSTERDAM sign, I heard more shouts & as I was entering the stadium one of the helpers moved back and made a face as if to say I was going too fast, he gave me a smile & I beamed back, once I entered that stadium the foot was well & truly on the gas! I passed by a fair few people at speed, threw my hands in the air with the biggest grin ever & crossed the finish line! I looked down at my watch & could not believe my eyes, was I dreaming, did I really just do this! I saw S & C up ahead & we all congratulated each other, both the lads running brilliant PB's. I honestly couldn't think of 2 nicer people to share this madness with! We went to get out bags & I meet up with my family who had been in the stadium & recorded my finish, there were hugs & kisses & near tears, so so special to have them there with me!

I'm still on a high, wondering how the hell I had the perfect day, the perfect race! From start to finish I controlled the controllable down to a T, not only did I control it but it felt very comfortable the whole way through. Somehow I managed a 4min 34sec negative split, the stuff of dreams! I remember being at halfway thinking this time last year in Dublin along the Crumlin road I was hating it, felt like it was going on forever yet today I was as fresh as a daisy, mental! I never felt bad, I never felt like I needed to holdback, how does this happen in some races but in others you are hanging on for all you've got??

It was a great marathon, one I would highly recommend to anyone thinking of it. The next few days were spent walking a lot & seeing a lot of different places, with my family we made some amazing memories & it's defo a place I will head back to again.

No plans as to what I will do next but a huge thank you needs to go to S for giving me such great training plans that I absolutely love & more than that for being a great friend, along with C they really did make this a great trip full of laughs & craic. I'd also like to say a huge thank you to all my fellow boardsies who sent so many messages of support & congratulations both here & privately, I genuinely appreciate them all😊

I quoted Whitney Houston in my last post as my marathon song & these words were never as apt, exactly how I felt...

"I want one moment in time, When I'm more than I thought I could be, When all of my dreams are a heart beat away, And the answers are all up to me...

Crossing that finish line I had that moment in time, totally exceeding my own expectations & it was all down to me💛

Some stats of the marathon

My overall position was 3024th out of 16057

My position as a woman was 218th out of 4009

My age category was 16th out of 414

• Advertisement

Loving these race reports, like reliving my own race again.

Advertisement