Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chippers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

chippers use an enormous amount of electricity, and the price of that has doubled in the last 3 years.

good (quite long) article on the British fish and chips industry here - they seem to have a real problem with them burning down, which I wasn't really aware of happening here that often.

• I don’t know if that’s quite accurate to be honest but I will do some digging out of curiosity if nothing else

It mentions that stopped in 2021 also? Maybe then the shift to Spanish spuds happened with more shops I don’t know. 😎

could also be Spanish imports from the UK as opposed to importing directly from Spain

• No probably not but what has easily risen above 50% recently is electric and gas.

A lot of the time when prices rise it’s because if they don’t then something has to fall. The fastest way to save money is reduce the quality of your food or cut staff wages.

For most food businesses I think you know which one comes first. It’s my personal opinion that our wages shouldn’t be lowered so you can have cheaper food.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It's as accurate as you are going to find anywhere because it is a factual report from 15th March 2023.

If you read it properly it mentions the 4,000 tonnes of seed potatoes that used to be imported has stopped since 2021 but outside of that Ireland imports 64,000 tonnes of potatoes from the UK with most of these being used by chip shop owners.

The report is based on information from the CSO, the chairman of the Irish Farrmers Association Potato Committee and the President of the Irish Potato Federation, the Minister for Agriculture and Teagasc so I don't know if you'll find anything on Facebook or socail media to contradict it but dig away anyway.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Agria potatoes are as far as I am currently aware the go to for most takeaways.

• Advertisement

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Not sure how accurate that study is, they also claim most are happy to pay extra for locally grown produce… clearly by this threads that’s not the case!!

Yeah, maybe you should bring this thread to the attention of all those professional people that have collated all the facts and figures and tell them you think they might be wrong.

Don't forget and tell them that you work in a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭con747

They are great for most things apart from homemade chips IMHO. I use mine everyday and only use the oven on rare occasions these days. They also use a lot less electricity so cuts your electric bills as well. Take it out and after a few goes of trial and error with timing and temperature you should be sorted. They are really only for cooking for a couple of people though unless it's a very large one. If it's a basket type shake the stuff every 5 or so minutes for even cooking.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• no need I’ll just chat with people in the business as opposed to those who are not.

With that in mind I’ll leave you there.

• Advertisement

Couldn't agree more Con. If you want proper homemade chips buy a new deep fat fryer the same day as you buy the xxl airfryer and use the deep fat fryer for nothing only chips. Frying pan is only used for eggs on Sunday mornings here and the airfryer does pretty much everything else except boiled eggs or porridge.

Once you get used to the timing and temperature there's no going back ffs. A sheet of tinfoil under the basket to save on cleaning up and Bob's your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Cheers. I’m going to give it a blast!

Maybe some KFC style chicken drumsticks or something- yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭con747

Start with Goujons or similar to get used to it, on the bone chicken will take a bit of trial and error. Google times and temperatures because it cooks quicker than a normal oven.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"our chips are €3.50 a bag, so yes it was a bit of a shock to see someone charging €4.30." you are saying you make less than 20 cent a bag, so at 4.30 it would still be less than 1 euro a bag. I find it odd that you would be shocked at that, you must have to really sit down when you hear of takeaways charging 2.60 for a can of coke, which I can get at 50cent a can or less on offer and presume takeaways get for even less from their "non approved distributors".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I expect the delivery companies would be taking a fair cut, just-eat, deliveroo etc. they take good % of the price and the sellers shrug and pass it onto the customer, and since covid it has gotten worse. As takeaways see more and more people using them they have to increase the prices, so the "walk in customers" suffer this, since most of the delivery places have rules and insist that the online prices match the menu price.

I know many of them will increase prices for these online companies, but its against the rules, so I expect many are cautious about doing so, and I imagine the increase does not match the cut the delivery place takes. So they will just increase the menu price for all.

You keep mentioning 50%, none of the chippers near me have gone up that much. I could get figures on a fair few, as I often email menus to friends. I can see in an email from jan 2020 in 3 near me the prices were 3.00, 3.00, 3.20 and now these are 3.99, 4.40 and 4.00. The one which is 4.40 is a running joke, none of us use them as they are so expensive. The other 3 I go to are 3.90, 3.90, 3.80, all in south Dublin, I think another is 3.50 but the site is down. Burdocks in christchurch is 5.80 for a bag of chips, laughable, in my local I get a "junior box with a breast piece" for 6.50, huge bit of chicken and plenty of chips.

I see plenty of value still out there, I was getting a 2 piece snack box on for 5.50 up until a few weeks ago, an all day special every thursday and friday for ages, and half the time I got a breast piece as a free upgrade. Gone to 6 now but still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Rubadub, don't spoil Tom1ie's indignation.

They just want to repeat 50% increase, obscene profits, gouging, outrageous, ripp off, rawr, rarw rah.

They don't want reasoned argument.

They don't want to know actual average price increases.

They don't even want to explain what they consider price gouging to be.

You are just spoiling their anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭John arse

Just vote with your feet folks!,same with the pubs- don't be ripped off!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

You seem very angry.

Get yourself a bag of chips with loads of salty salt 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Banzai600

two local chippers increased prices, not by a lot but one pushing 4e and one slightly over 4e. Chips are not as many as they used to be.

We'd go once a month now, or maybe even slightly longer periods. Like someone says, vote with your feet.

Our take away spend has fallen, not that we would eat a huge amount, but were kind of a regular every other week consumer for the chipper.

A chinese take-away we used to go to, a couple of items were around 17.50 earlier in the year, now the same order is 23 euro, i challenged them, politely of course, they just said " its the vat". the place was full, i said the vat is only gone up a small percentage. yet you are hiking prices by over 30% appx - i got the blank stare. Wont be going back there either.

If you're happy to pay the prices, thats fine, but dont be irish - moan about it, take it over a barrel and then put your head up for another slap in the face.

there is no end in sight imo of rising costs, its going to get a lot more expensive i reckon, id love to be proved wrong of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Zoot1530

Take away in coolmine tonight , burger €14 and chips €4.50. How has it gone so dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Samson1

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A local chipper to me :

Curry Chips : 5.80

Fresh Cod : 8.60

14,40 for a fish and chips with a coating of curry sauce…take away.

a proper sit down restaurant will have multiples the overheads of a chipper, probably 4 / 5 times the staff, greater electricity costs, heating, much higher insurance, much higher cleaning costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Was that in a regular chipper or some fancy burger food truck? If a regular chipper - that's madness.

Crikey!

A Bunsen burger is only €8.75! And is, imo, probably the best burger out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Transport costs getting the burger to the customer

€13ish seems pretty standard for fish and chips in Cork. Curry sauce is always extra.

Prices have gone up a lot pretty much everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That's a good comparison. Although it is said the sit down restaurants are making their money on beverages, desserts etc not the mains.

For those in Dublin looking for value, there's a few "San Marino" chippers about the place such as Artane, Santry, Monkstown. They have daily specials, lunch deals, meal deals, so about the best value chipper I've come across around D5 but just noting their chips are the 'crispier' sort.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement