Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

given that it has dominated every podcast, every paper, every phone-in, and the discussion here, you’re clearly wrong on that. Fans obviously and demonstrably DO care about the manner of the failure.

And there was indeed new info being meted out right up to Monday evening, including that the ref seemingly hadn’t been informed until half time, despite the VAR knowing they had messed up within 7 seconds. And of course there are still large question marks hanging over the mystery - how did all 3 people in the room make the same error of not realising the goal was given as offside?

The rest of the post is a bit bizarre. You seem very upset that someone is asking for improvements. Who cares if it’s altruistic or selfish? The net result will be an improved system, which is only a good thing. The only way to get there is through a transparent report that looks into VARs protocols and failings and actively tries to improve them. That’s literally all that is being asked for. They can’t just keep dishing out apologies without fixing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It's gotten so much coverage because of the Liverpool reaction. Supporters of pretty much every other club are saying "yeah it's a bad call, Liverpool were on the wrong end of it but, as harsh as it is, **** happens. Let's fix the system if we can and move on".

Don't try and put words in my mouth especially when you are wrong. I've repeatedly said a change to the process to ensure that this can't happen again is exactly what should come out of this.

No-one has tried to just brush this under the carpet. PGMOL released a statement within an hour or so of the full-time whistle to say they were investigating where the error occurred. With an investigation will come an explanation and, if the process can be improved, it will be. Those things don't happen in 24-48 hours. They usually take longer. So you've got to be a bit patient for that.

Instead, what we've gotten is an awful statement from Liverpool FC and a load of hysteria from a lot Liverpool fans citing conspiracy theories.

Wouldn’t agree there, there’s been dozens of podcasts and stories and discussions all about the error itself rather than the reactions. I listen to a fair few football podcasts (all neutral, none club focused) and actually none have been about the reaction. There's a clear interest in the story of what went wrong, I don’t know why you’re trying so hard to say that there isn’t in the face of all actual evidence. And sure what’s wrong with there being interest in it - it’s an interesting story.

And maybe just avoid the conspiracy nuts? I’ve seen very little of that myself, so it’s not too hard to do (doubtless the likes of twitter comments will be inundated with insanity, but that’s ever the case regardless what’s going on) .

The statement was also grand, you’re hugely overreacting there. Honestly the most emotive responses I’ve seen relating to all this are increasingly yours.

You have a horrible habit of projecting stuff on people to make you think you’ve won an internet argument. Saying posts are “bizarre” because they don’t agree with your viewpoint or people are “upset” because they don’t agree with isn’t isn’t a good way to debate. You’re also making up your own facts to suit a narrative (“new things are coming to light every couple of hours.”)

The statement was poor and has been slammed by the likes of Gary Neville and Simon Jordan. The conspiracy theories go wherever Liverpool fans do…look at the Liverpool thread here or RAWK as just two examples.

I really don’t want to go round in circles with you. Let’s just agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

But why are they only going to improve now there has been load of very bad decisions. Saw a list on Sky Sports website there was about 14 where they issued an apology. Is it because of Liverpool's reaction. The statement was awful by Liverpool (I am a Liverpool fan) Fans are normally hysterical and cite conspiracy when VAR or a ref rule against them in a bad fashion nothing new there

I’m not making anything up - I said the story provoked a continued reaction as it is a continuing story. Which it obviously is. Only yesterday was it revealed that the ref wasn’t told that the goal was good until half time, despite VAR realising within seconds - that’s a bit mad. The latest being the release of the audio today. A story that rumbles on will continue to generate discussion.

The Liverpool thread here has been grand, for every conspiracy post there’s been a good few more saying ‘nah’. Wouldn’t be going near RAWK myself though, not my cup of tea, but easily avoided by not literally seeking it out.

And sure, fair enough, we’ll move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

What you're completely failing to understand is that this is something that has never happened before, and should never happen again. That's why there is furore.

It's not because of what teams are involved, as much as you and others keep trying to infer.

It's not a subjective call either, so there is no debate on it. But many are trying to debate aspects of what happened and what to do doing forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well the audio has finally been released.

But it has happened before Sky sports had a list of the apologies they have made due to VAT 14 in a year and a couple of months why has it taken this long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

You certainly don't come across like you find it funny at all as this must be the 4th or 5th time you said the exact same thing on this thread alone.

It's staggering as this point you can't get your head around it's was not just mistake but an intentional decision to not fix an error they knew was ruining the integrity of the fixture. Of course it's self interest and to expose the ref/VAR solely determined that game . After years of tough beats at the hands of Liverpool , I can understand the anti Liverpool sentiment.

It's funny how much you try to come across like it's "no skin of your nose" if Liverpool keep going on about given clearly how much it's bothering spurs fan after 3 days :)

The VAR ref was going by the strict letter of the law according to Sky Sports that due to the game been restarted after the decision he could not go back and say the goal was good. Now why they decided it was okay to say it at half time I do not know did the ref ask them about it or did they decide to just say it

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Fairly scary stuff though I have to say I was very impressed with the operator. If you just left handle the offsides then there would be no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Darren England was absolutely appalling there. Completely froze when he was told by the operator that on-field decision was offside. Absolutely no excuse for him to go silent for a period when he could still have got a message to on-field officials. Shambolic. VAR is in 4 years now - that’s over 1,500 games - and they still can’t get the very basics right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I was happy enough to write it off as one of those things but that is **** amateur hour. Are you actually trying to tell me that there isn't a clear line of dialogue that needs to be followed in order to ensure that everybody is on the same page? Or did they just ignore it?

Ridiculous.

It’s a mistake and the VAR officials followed the protocol that meant they couldn’t fix the problem when they realised as play had restarted.

Do you not understand that protocol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The operator did a great job there, he was calm and clear. Unfortunately they didn't listen to what he was saying.

The operator even tells Darren England that Oli wants to delay the game and then he does not talk to Oli [Michael Oliver 4th official]. He is so flippant in it as if he is busy doing something else. The scariest part if the non football person, the operator, is light years ahead of them, he spots the error within 1 second and tells VAR who takes about another 6-7 seconds to realise what has happened. Were they back on their phones or what the hell were they watching. Definitely need to have the audio live for these going forward - the operator took about 10 secs to see he was clearly onside, the technology was good.

Imagine being this wound up about the fact you couldn't beat a nine man team with no striker with the refs literally taking goals away and you needed a 96th minute og.

I expect 8 more posts here and in the Liverpool thread about how wound up you're not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

Referee: Well done, boys. Good process.

Replay operator: Wait, wait, wait, wait. The on-field decision was offside.

Replay operator: Are you happy with this?

Assistant VAR: Yeah.

Replay operator: Are you happy with this?

Assistant VAR: Offside, goal, yeah.

Assistant VAR: That's wrong that, Daz.

VAR: What?

Replay operator: On-field decision was offside. Are you happy with this image? Yeah, it's onside, The image that we gave them is onside.

Assistant VAR: The left-back he's played him, he's gone offside

Stunning. Given the money involved in football how they **** do these two clowns end up being involved in the pinnacle of the game.

Apparently the new protocol to be released by PMGOL is to have no operator as he made the refs look like complete idiots....

"offside, goal, yeah"

That's what the Assistant VAR said just after the play restarted. The game could have been stopped there and then if it wasn't for his incompetence. Quick free kicks are often called back. 2 second job.

Why was the referee not involved in the conversation at any point?

As has been said many times now, this was the first example of this type of incident where VAR has given a go ahead to award a goal, but the referee and scoreline did not award the goal.

The sheer incompetence of the speech out of them. They totally string each other up with contradictory language, within the same sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

So no conspiracy.

No match fixing.

No middle Eastern malfeasance.

Just a cock up in communication due to human error.

Precisely what was said by PGMOL from the get go.

When you read the full transcript it's doesn't look good for both VAR officials.

The replay operator did their job well.

• Advertisement

Well done you.

What's with the the upmanship. Feel better?

There's a decent debate going on. But whatever takes your mind of things I guess.

Anyway, back to VAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Insane audio, monumental screw up really.

But also the laying bear of an obvious flaw in the way they communicate that could easily be improved. Like, the way the process unfolded, it's a wonder there aren't more errors. So it's human error, as a result of a nonsensical process.

The request for investigation and audio was to see if there were failings in the process, and if those failings could be addressed. The answer to both is a pretty clear yes.

Pardon me?

What oneupmanship?

My post was directly related to the pages and pages of tin foil hat stuff that's been posted on this forum over the last few days. I know it must be difficult to take that it's not actually a conspiracy but that's the way she goes.🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement

Oh absolutely, it was hilariously bad but even if Liverpool hadn't made such a huge issue of it no doubt it would be looked at by PGMOL to avoid recurrence going forward.

Difficult to take? What are you talking about? Passive aggressive now. Jeez. I think you're over completely thinking it. Conspiracy it ain't.

That's the problem though - this is apparently the way all such communication takes place. The actual nature of their conversation is not an outlier or error. Only the outcome is the error. This casual over-confidence of people talking over each other, without any clear protocols for specific descriptive language to be used so everyone knows exactly what is taking place.

Dion Fanning was talking yesterday about how every VAR conversation he's heard the recordings of sounded like a circus going on in the background, and it seems this one is no different. This is just the way they do things, and have continued doing things after each of their previous 14 apologies. I've no doubt that without being forced into public embarrassment, they'd have just carried on, same as they carried on after the rest. (and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they actually don't improve that communication process much either - it feels like this over-confident self-important machismo permeates every aspect of English officiating)

• Administrators Posts: 54,112 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

By the time anyone realised the mistake, operator included, the game had already restarted. The operator does not appear to be aware that the decision can't be changed after the game has restarted.

It's a mistake. It's a bad one. But it's clearly just human error and nothing more.

These VAR lads might pay more attention from now on.

I never thought it was anything other than human error but it is interesting to see how the operate. Time to move onto the next match.

At least they will have to document what the new protocol is; VAR to tell referee if it is a Goal or it is not a Goal:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

is there any point when the ref relays to VAR that the on field decision was offside? cos thats where the **** up happens.

listening again, it seems the VAR operator never told them the on field decision was offside.

VAR operator: Wait, wait, wait, wait. The on-field decision was offside.

why didnt he tell them this before the decision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s honestly pathetic that we have the actual audio to discuss and people would still prefer to angle it as a pop at Liverpool and Liverpool fans.

The audio did show the lack of structure around VAR calls which is the obvious area of improvement - 4 years in and that level of communication is pretty poor. If they could improve the structure of the conversation and the process once a mistake happens it’ll go a long way to resolving the issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I think we need to get some perspective.

Liverpool had a perfectly good goal disallowed because of a mistake by the officials.

Hands up anyone who has seen their team denied a perfectly good goal because of a mistake by the officials. Yes, me too.

• Advertisement

Haha the sly digs are hilarious. As I said earlier, we’re in a false position. We’ve gotten every break going this year and don’t have the squad depth to cope with injuries in a couple of positions. I expect we’ll finish 4th to 8th and you’ll finish ahead of us.

I’ve also said that Liverpool with 9 men were exceptional on Saturday and most teams would have struggled to break them down. The way they defended their box, the effort that they put in and the way they managed the game was very impressive. They deserved more and were very unfortunate on every level.

We got out of jail and we know it. Absolutely no argument, much less being wound up, there. But continue with the projection.

Yes, nowhere did I say you didn't, winning and beating are 2 different things. You got shown up by nine men who beat themselves with a fluke OG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So after all the hullabaloo its just human error, the same as every other VAR cóck up.

What a shocking result this is!

I genuinely don't see how that can be someone's conclusion... it's human error within a process that clearly isn't fit for purpose. The process of communication is clearly what opened up the room for that human error.

I think top 5 get CL which itself is a worry as that is 25% of the teams in the league, no to european super league but the CL is heading that way with the number of games involved next year.

Spurs definitely have a chance of top 5 but Africa Nations could impact that as a few key performers will be gone.

There are issues with the process, and of course they can (and should) make changes to prevent a similar human error happening again in future, though ultimately you'll never remove any possibility of human error from a process involving humans.

But it was clearly just a huge mistake as opposed to some of the other theories that have been thrown about the past few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't know what some of you have been reading because there's been little in the way of conspiracy here. Christ you lot destroy this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

When you have at least three people involved in a process mistakes due to human error really should never happen in this situation.

I will theorise that football (particularly the PL) has always had a hard-on about VAR making decisions quickly to avoid ruining the flow of the game, and this is probably at least partly a consequence of that.

In rugby, one thing the referee will do is walk through the decision to the TMO after the TMO makes the call, so everyone is on the same page. But this adds time to the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

To be fair, that's not really the case is it. Of course plenty of teams have had good goals disallowed, Liverpool included, do you think this is the first injustice against them on the field of play?? the uproar is about the absolute shambles of the VAR process, like how can anyway listen to the dialogue and not been concerned about the state of the whole set-up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement