Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Creator (Gareth Edwards Sci-fi)

• 19-05-2023 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭

Billed as a sci-fi action thriller, The Creator is the new film from Gareth Edwards. Some aspects of the trailer seem a bit too familiar, but the cast is decent and Edwards certainly has the chops for sci-fi spectacle.

The cast includes John David Washington, Allison Janney, Ralph Ineson, Gemma Chan, and Ken Watanabe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Feels like nearly a half Chris Nolan cast!

Didn’t know about this but I’ve liked Edwards sci fi movies so will prob give it a watch.

Special effects look good, Edwards again is very good at making good sci fi movies look good so it probably has something going for it.

Nice to see a non comicbook big budget looking sci fi. We need more of them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's a bit silly to claim that a trailer summarising the film's plot is a "teaser", but hey ho. Visuals look good but the story feels very derivative.

I've found story to be something of a weakness acrosss all of his films so I'll probably wait on reviews I trust before going to see this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Woah! Went into the trailer blind and like... even the first second alone I must've rewatched 15 times just to stare at the megastructures in the background!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,859 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A new Terminator reboot 😄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This looked very generic, but then I also can't complain when someone ties to make a Sci-Fi blockbuster these days that isn't based on an existing IP.

All the aesthetics of the tech put me in mind of something Neil Blomkamp might make, so when I saw the trailer presumed it was him. It's Gareth Edwards first film since Rogue One; 7 years and I'm guessing he's out of Hollywood purgatory given I vaguely recall he was sacked from Rogue One for messing up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The art direct / general look of it reminds me of the apex legends / titanfall universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Looks awesome. When's it out?

Edit: I see it is out on September the 29th :( .

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

New trailer. Haven't watched it myself so can't tell you how spoilerific or otherwise it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's about the same as the last trailer re. plot.

The production design on this looks absolutely insanely gorgeous - like Concept Art come alive. The story seems rote as hell but as a visual experience, it could be lush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

will this be the new "bla bla bla its like the Matrix" movie of our time?

looks good though

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

From the initial director of Rogue One more like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Saw the trailer for this at 'Oppenheimer'.

Looks very ho hum though. But I kinda hope it does well. I like Gareth Edwards and I think he was shafted by Disney on 'Rogue One'. :/

So it's good to see him back in the game.

"Final" trailer out; it certainly looks like one for the cinema. Some spectacular vistas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I really like the look of this. The scope of it. I really loved the "grounded" aesthetic Edwards brought to Star Wars in Rogue One (The AT-AT on the beach, looking like some actual war movie was amazing. Plus, this gave us the best Star Wars series, Andor). As said above, good to see something new. And anything that gets Ken Watanabe on the screen gets my thumbs up. Yeah, DEFINITELY one for the biggest damn screen you can find

At this point, I'm thinking the only wildcard about it is the ins-and-outs of the story.

It looks so well made and the special effects are so cool!

Ms

Just booked my ticket for it next week. Can not wait. Have not been to the Cinema since the Cinema day as just nothing out I wanted to see. So really looking forward to this. That's got to be the longest I have been away from the cinema in a while lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

So far the local Vue in Ashbourne has only one showing listed for next week onwards; and it at 9pm which ain't great for me. I hope that's not it & it'll get a better selection of showings. Sometimes the website doesn't update its film times properly 'til the week of.

The reviews I've seen have been exactly what the trailers hint at: incredibly rote, by the numbers storytelling but an absolutely spectacular, cinematic visual experience. TBH that's fine with me if both are true; I've missed SciFi in movies that reaches for grandeur.

Holy shít, the budget on this is apparently 80 million. From those trailers that's an astonishing fidelity of the FX, for that money.

I've seen some reviews hoping this succeeding proves Hollywood to stop spending 300 million on crazy swings - but that'll depend on how well this does.

Ms

On my way to go see this. Can not wait :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Wow, just read a couple of reviews*. The trailer didn't grab me but now I'm very keen. Looking forward to hear what you guys think

*the Empire review, particularly, is glowing and spoiler free

• Advertisement
    Ms

Excellent film. It takes a little while to get going and it's in chapters which is strange but it's so worth it for the ending. I would put it up there with "Star wars Rogue One" the film

Also some of the vehicles in it are very weird make no sense but are cool too.

The ending certainly had vibes of Independence day and Star Wars TROTJ

The film has got a very dystopian kind of feel to it.

The music is amazing and perfectly suited to every scene.

I would give it 9 out of 10.

Definitely going to see it again.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Will this still be in cinemas at the end of October?

Ms

Depends on how well it does. I went today. Very few in the Cinema. It was great. Hopefully it does well over the weekend.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I have little knowledge about how films are made, but I thought this video was very interesting describing how they managed to make it with a relatively small budget. Tiny film crews travelling around the world shooting in real locations rather than building sets, apparently very little green screens were used. The visual effects were only added after the editing was complete which saved them lots of money and they used some Sony FX3 camera which is supposedly cheaper than others but good enough to do the job required. It looks great from the trailers I’ve seen so looking forward to seeing it.

Speaking of film budgets - does the budget figure include all the salaries too I’ve often wondered, presumably yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is looking promising. It might actually convince me to go to the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just saw it. Wasn't my cup of tea really. So many plot holes and things that didn't make sense. Like their translators were worse than what Google offers nowadays for one. Still enjoyed the ride though

Ms

You should. So worth it for the awesome end scenes alone. I will be going to see it a second time for sure.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Wait Google offer translators. I never knew that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭santana75

Just back from this and I didnt think I'd enjoy it as much as I did but I loved it. It looks amazing but its also genuinely moving. John David washington is brilliant but that kid is off the scale, thats just pure natural ability right there. It reminded me of so many films(Bladerunner, Avatar, District 9, the last samurai) and the soundtrack is pretty awesome (radiohead, Deep purple). I thought it zipped along at a good clip building it up to a spectacular ending. I really hope it does well at the box office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gareth Edwards has done some amazing stuff on a shoestring to be fair, monsters is well worth a watch it only cost 500k.

As far as I know the budget would include the salaries. I think the very general rule of thumb is a film needs to make 2.5 times it's budget to break even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Saw this tonight. I knew nothing about it except it was getting good reviews. It really looks brilliant, but the story was a hodge podge of familiar themes. Was just ok.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

Saw it on the Cineworld IMAX. Thought it was well made. Special effects really well done.

Felt first like Anime influenced. Also like...

Some Aliens. Some (minor) Platoon/Apocalypse Now. Some Cyberpunk. Some Elysium.

Big world but a bit of a too-simple story for that world. There never felt like a hook to draw the audience in enough. It had moments where the interpersonal bits got very deep feeling but it wasn't consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Saw it last night in Ashbourne as was in screen 1. Today in same cinema in smallest screen, screen 3 hence why I went last night with my 2 boys. 10 year old gave it 9. 5 outta 10 and 8 year old gave it a 7 outta 10. Myself i would give it an 8 put of 10. Was a very very good Sci fi on an 80 million budget. Hopefully does well now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭p to the e

Edwards needs to have someone polish his scripts before going ahead with them. This was very messy and had gaping plot holes in it.

In saying that it had one of the funniest scenes I had seen in a long time. A rubbish bin with legs slowing jogging like a middle aged man with bad knees and needs to have a crap. And it just slowly lumbers past it's target while they watch confused and it continues on to blow up a load of kids. And when Washington blows his cover by shouting into a walkie talkie "I'M UNDERCOVER" and is surprised his missus heard him when she's only upstairs.

I recently read a perfect description of Washington. He's Brad Pitt 2.0. A character actor that's being pushed to leading man status. I felt nothing for him in this and don't think he was cast well. In fact the only character that I felt for was the kid.

Overall it looked amazing but had a lot of annoying "why the hell did you do that?" moments. And a boiler going for his morning run. 6/10

Lol, I forgot about the "I'm undercover!" line. Or when Alisson Janney and co have been captured and are in the back of a truck, with one AI guard, not handcuffed or restrained in any way, and they just take out the droid when he turns around.

Also on the rubbish bin bridge, one guy goes out on his own and none of the AI droids can aim properly to kill him? Just stands there in front of 10 people shooting machine guns at him.

A black guy and a child walking around New Asia, the most wanted pair in the world, and no one recognises them.

How did one simple mine blow the f*ck out of that huge tank thing?

Just way too riddled with these kind of silly things for me.

• Advertisement

A gigantic tank the size of a ship crashing through the jungle and "us army" etched on the side. Don't know why I found that so funny.

I found the font they used for us army hilarious for some reason

That's it. The little lower case font stuck on.

It was like they had some screen tests and thought, "maybe the audience won't know if these are good tank or bad tanks. Stick 'us army' on the side, but not too big, so they know".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Saw this on Saturday and overall i enjoyed the visuals and the stories. The Nomad ship looked amazing.

I really like the performance of the young actor who played the child. Some of the others not so much, particularly the general, something stereotypical about him.

As pointed out there were some plot holes, and how the AI story began didn't add up to me as intelligence like that should be able to talk and communicate with the US about the nuke incident and prevent a war.

Overall I enjoyed it though, was great on the big screen and it was refreshing to see a film not portray the US and its military around the world as goodies like they normally are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

not doing well at the box office, the marketing was so poor even with the actors strike, didn't hear of this movie till first trailer dropped, why did they not show it to critics earlier then last week? Critics have been giving it a 'at least its not based on a an IP', even if its isn't really original, 'good sci-fi' reviews, while saying the plot and dialogue is weak, but Im sure the talk of the visuals would have sent more people to it.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Maybe Gareth Edwards could be convinced to do a Star Trek Movie. Who knows it might even be good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

How did one simple mine blow the f*ck out of that huge tank thing?

It did not do unless there was more than one of them I thought that too then we see the tank still going again later in the film so unless it was a different one lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am not sure if he would be interested in a big franchise after Rogue One rumours it wasn't a great experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Totally forgot about this movie. Bland. I hated Rogue One too. But, the visuals are great. I thought it was going to be amazing when the Radiohead song kicked off, but that's cause the cinema sound was so good. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really disappointed by this. Visually it's super impressive, especially considering the budget.

The story though is incredibly simple and far worse than that, crammed full of barely-there ideas, absolutely titanic plot holes and comically illogical behaviour just to keep it moving.

Honestly if this is Gareth Edwards quality of writing I would well believe that Tony Gilroy really did rescue Rogue One from a bad fate.

I would say it's worth a watch for the visual design, but it's not a particularly good film and Gareth Edwards should seriously look at getting help with his next script.

Actually reminds me a lot of Elysium, which was another classic style over substance let down, but The Creator repeats the same mistakes, on an even bigger scale.

Overall I'd give it 5/10, mostly for the cool visuals, stab at an original movie, and the child actor was actually decent enough.

lets go into spoiler chat as soon as possible, hate using the dreadful spoiler tags

how did the guy who told him not to go native, go native?

yeah the bomb robot scene was stupid for all sorts of reasons, but did anyone feel like the resulting explosions were too small? compared to the size of the robot barrel or maybe there were supposed to be meant to be incendiary devices?

Did the monk AI robot say AI robots couldnt harm humans

Post edited by expectationlost on

Oh man this was a very divided experience. Sometimes you just wanna watch something cool. On the one hand, this was a very handsome creature, full of imaginative production design and real visual splendour; this is what you go to the cinema for, to be wowed by scale. Or just imaginative nonsense like robot bombs that gallop at the enemy. It looked like a proper movie, and the FX were so spectacular I honestly forgot thinking of the many many simulant characters and their CGI heads. They just were. That this cost a quarter of Dial of Destiny shows something is deeply rotten in Hollywood accounting.

On the other hand, it was scriptwriting by rote, cribbing from about a dozen different sources without even trying to say or execute anything varied or unique. Which can be fine, not like Star Wars broke new ground in storytelling, but it was held together by some really terrible dialogue and a slightly disjointed plot. One that perhaps didn't hold up to scrutiny - but then maybe it didn't need to when it looked this handsome.

I do hope it has a long tail though and eeks out its miniscule budget and then some; I'd rather see something epic and cinematic rewarded, especially when audiences are roundly rejecting the overinflated model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

cribbing from about a dozen different sources without even trying to say or execute anything varied or unique.

Isn't that movies in general these days?

True, though this was more naked than others; you could easily spot all the various inspirations being lifted and transplanted into the film. But these days, those movies don't have the decency to look good - while this looked like a proper movie.

No, the monk said they couldn't hurt Nermata,

The Creator specifically, so all they could do was keep her alive cos they couldn't pull the plug

• Advertisement
Advertisement