Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The more I think of it, the more the PGMOL coming out to say it was "significant huma error" on Saturday was just lazy and wrong. How did they know it was human error? What are the VAR protocols and what was and wasn't followed? What are the instructions regarding speeding up decisions and could this have played a role? What are the communications protocols and were they followed by either the VAR, AVAR and the referee?

Those were all questions that needed to be asked, but they were able to answer all of those in about an hour or so after the incident? Did they speak to the referee or VAR to get their side of the story? Nope, they just threw those at Stockley Park under the bus so they could avoid all responsibility for their own system failings. And this is clear when you consider they have, in the time since identified the following areas they need to look at,

• A new VAR Communication Protocol will be developed to enhance the clarity of communication between the referee and the VAR team in relation to on-field decisions

• As an additional step to the process, the VAR will confirm the outcome of the VAR check process with the AVAR before confirming the final decision to the on-field officials.”

So if a new communication protocol needs to be developed and additional steps need to be added, how was it human error that led to this? Sure it played a role in not identifying it was offside, but everything else fell apart as well and some of that was not human error. This also puts to rest their statement that it was human error, because that means you change nothing but make sure the humans know what they are doing. Everything else worked as it should so there would be no need to make any new protocols or add steps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

That conversation was between the AR1 and AR2 and the referee, those on the field. They can hear each other all the time I guess. But I suppose the conversation between the VAR and AVAR is not always open to the referee otherwise it may take his attention away from the field if they are talking about a pretty supporter they saw on the coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I've just noticed that myself now after you highlighted it. Went back to see it myself. It definitely sounds like he says the word "off". There's another word in there said by someone.

Ah ok, yes I get you. It's the 3 on field referees as opposed to the referee and VAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thought we couldn't change the VAR rules half way through the season (well about a sixth!)

So send them over every Thursday then, inflict the same pain on everybody else.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Sightly off topic, but is Henderson to Sobo the biggest upgrade in one position since Allison replaced Karius?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Trampas

Do they now stick up on big screen sometimes that player is offside or am I imaging it. What I can’t understand is that there is comment from var to referee to check the call or pass on the result ie the player is off or onside instead of check complete

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Mate it's as clear as day the same person who says "Check complete, that's fine, perfect" also says "off"

Dodgy as f....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

At least there’s somethings more farcical than the VAR to laugh at tonight! 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Am I the only one wondering why in the statement after the game they declared they never checked it, that it was the reason there was no lines, and now they release a video showing they did draw lines?

You'd have to wonder would we have won more leagues and CL's if Klopp didn't have to pander to Henderson since becoming Liverpool manager.

Dodged a bullet with Mason Mount too considering what we signed instead.

'' Oli's calling in to delay the game, delay the game''

'' can't do anything😝''

The way '' can't do anything '' rolled off his tongue is telling, he refuse point-blank to put it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Can only assume England has claimed, when asked how he messed up by the PGMOL, that he was 'tired'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Always good to see, they might end up in the EL yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Would love to get them in the europa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That extra CL spot looks like it could be in danger for the PL

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, easiest money I've made this week 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'm of the feeling that this was just a case of being a monumental clusterfuck caused by people losing their heads, but the way England was so dismissive of the other guy makes you wonder how often it happens i.e. they're told what the correct decision is, only to ignore it. All in the space of 20 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

I didnt mind the red being upgraded as it had a still frame of the tackle even though he did slip.

But that 'goal' was one of the quickest decisions I've seen. Why didnt they slow it down. No one in the stadium knew what was happening, no one saw any lines been drawn.

The audio is embarrassing, not as bad as that one they released earlier in the season where they were all just shouting over each other. Surely they have better processes than this.

Hopefully get back to winning ways tomorrow as be a tough game against Brighton Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Thursday night jokes seem to have dried up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Yes when VAR is checking a decision it gets put up on the screens in the ground, I didn't see that happening on Saturday.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I cant stop laughing about how unprofessional that VAR recording is. The absolute panic even checking the goal, everyone talking over each other, mumbling. Absolutely no clarity in their language. "Are you happy with the images you are seeing?" "Ya, offside, goal". WTF does that even mean.

Your been recorded, don't be using terms like mate either, they are your colleagues.

The ref in rugby asks a very simple question to the VAR - "can I award the try?" Its a simple yes or no.

Shambles.

Had the ref at halftime talked to both managers, and told them a legit goal was chalked off, I'm certain the Spurs manager would have allowed us a free goal in the second half, he seems a sensible guy. And it's not like we've not seen that a 100 times before in football, one team allowing the other to score because of a fck up of some sort.

Although if it was left to Nunez to score the free goal it would probably end up like this 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It would never happen and he knows but there's no harm in keeping it in the headlines and keeping the PGMOL on its toes.

His exact quote was “As a football person I think the outcome should be a replay.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s a ridiculous suggestion to be fair. Spurs earned the 3 points, move on from it. If we get improved refereeing out of it that should be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Definitely a bit of gamesmanship with that comment, I suspect. We all know that's never happening

Trent was more circumspect:

What happened to us on the weekend was very disappointing and frustrating. It's gone. We have to move forward. We spoke about things but there's nothing we can do as players about what has gone on. We're focused on a different competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Can't have replays every time a game has a wrong VAR decision - we wouldn't finish rhe season until next autumn.

Let it go.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I get the feeling that the Execs within LFC have had enough of PGMOL - who let's face it are a law onto themselves - and how they referee Liverpool differently to other top 6 clubs*, and they're using this moment to make this a watershed moment in the game and bring about long needed real change, not just for LFC but for all clubs who suffer under PGMOL on a weekly basis.

*If anyone doubts that Liverpool are held to a different standard, I'd ask them to read Tomkins latest analysis going back to 2015 and then come back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Any talk of replays should not be entertained, there have been plenty of goals both given and disallowed incorrectly before VAR ( and even some after VAR), and plenty other game changing decisions given incorrectly since VAR came in. While it was a massive mistake not giving the goal, replaying the game would set a dangerous precedent, we'd end up in a situation where there would be endless appeals for replays of incorrectly given game changing decisions.

I'd take a second half replay with a 1-1 starting point

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

There is no chance of a replay, I don't know what they expect to get out of asking for one.

If we could replay a game at WHL littered with shambolic refereeing I’ll take the one from 2021 thanks

Earned 3 points ha, Jota sent off for zero touch tackles, Jones send off for a dramatic Hollywood freeze frame shot, Gomez denied a clear penalty, Diaz goal ruled out, Matip own goal to take the points. That is not earning it in all fairness.

Spurs didn’t send Jota off or not give a penalty or rule out any goals. They played the game and earned the points, can’t ask them to give those up when they did nothing wrong.

• Advertisement

It's good to ask, put the pressure on, simple fact, and it is a fact, the table is currently lying, and now will continue to lie until the end of the season, and only then will be know what it means

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I don't think it should be replayed, and I don't think it's a realistic expectation nor do I think Klopp is asking for it to happen, just that he believes it's the only way to make it right for want of a better word.

Now I'm going to get into 2 wrongs making a right here, but the ref had a massive opportunity in the second half to at least somewhat get off the hook by showing a modicum of leniency to Jota (remembering that he could well have had 0 yellow cards in total). And then the red card review for Jones could have been more favourable seen as that had mitigating factors too. I suppose given that at every possible opportunity from the kick-off whistle until now there has not been an occasion where Liverpool have come out of a 50/50 decision with anything above 0.

A penalty is not a penalty, a yellow is a red, a goal is not a goal, a 50/50 tussle is a foul and a yellow, a nothing is foul and a yellow, a first foul is a second yellow, taking 10 seconds on a goal kick once is a yellow bla bla bla. It's actually boring typing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭slegs

Nothing to say Spurs wouldn't have won if that goal was allowed. Would have been a whole different game with different approaches from both sides. We will never know.

Nah, no replay and I don't think Klopp / the club actually do want one.

Klopp seems more pissed off now though. I wonder did they get the full match audio and something else has riled him up? Just a theory.

either way, I think he is more keeping it in the news to keep the focus on PGMOL. There's been enough incidents in the last couple years to piss him off. A linesman elbowed Robbo and Robbo got booked for it FFS! This, his suspensions because Salah was being dragged down by the jersey scot free. it's a build up and he is letting it out (again!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Of course we're not looking for a replay, it's just a bit of brinkmanship. I imagine what's happening is that we might go to the league with a case that might be very uncomfortable for them, purely to bring them to the table for reparations some other way.

I think we all know how it would play amongst the media, and the rest of the PL, if we got a replay and safe to say we don't want that kind of **** on our plate. You might as well rechristen us Karen FC in that case.

This is purely about holding someone to account and improving the use of the technology going forward, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Klopp on VAR error: It's really rare that team gave a goal and it doesn't show on the scoresheet. That makes it really rare and different. We have to accept what we get told. I am interested in how we improve. That won't happen next week. If that would happen again, I would say replay. Or much, much better than replay. Sort it in that moment. Common sense.

Even if his logic is sound, imo he shouldnt have mentioned anything about a replay. It's gonna bite him in the ass imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

What are they going to do; disallow a goal that the ref said was a goal.....don't be so ridiculous...that is the stuff of conspiracy theories....P.S. I was away for the last week with no wifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

They're checking their own Thursday night schedules at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Agreed BUT there's no way refereeing or implementation of VAR improves as a result of this. As long as you have incompetent, feckless idiots like Darren England anywhere near the controls, it shows that the culture there is all wrong.

Witness Mike Dean's recent comments on not wanting to send his mate to the screen to embarrass him. It's ingrained in refereeing culture over there. I used to have time for Michael Oliver as a referee but not so much now - the standard there is appalling really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Paul Joyce almost as bad as the red tops and Sky Sports with half a quote

Advertisement