Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Legal documents are case sensitive now? The "freemen on the land" who think a comma in the wrong place gets them a free gaff will have a field day!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

That's a bugbear for me. Every other airline and the manufacturer refer to it as the B737 MAX.

"Gamechanger" sounds like it was thought up by a Transition Year student.

New plane, burns less fuel, carries more pax. How is this "gamechanging"?

As for the DAA/daa. It was trendy a few years back among marketing types that lower case was more customer friendly or welcoming (some BS like that) Remember when British Midland became "bmi"

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Looking at the pic it says Dublin since when did they get double airbridge. Or is it just lazy journalism.

http://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2023/1003/1408594-how-an-unexpected-dublin-flight-path-has-caused-airport-outrage/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Hilarious, they got planning permission to build in 2018, but the flight paths (which were published and explained by the DAA in 2015) were “unexpected” lol! Then of course the day after the runway opened flights were going over from 7am and when she got home at midday they were still going over? Despite the runway not moving to 7am ops for months and it being open for only a few hours a day for several weeks.

It’s horsesh*t like this that winds people up. If someone has a legit issue then raise it using the truth about the experience, stop spouting bull in the hope of sympathy! I didn’t watch the programme but I’d bet PT didn’t challenge her on any of this either?!?

On another note, this is the same woman who posted a video on twitter some months ago giving out about the noise of a 330 flying by, yet you could hear her whispering to the camera, so it can’t have been that loud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

Do you think she regrets building her house out of corrugated steel, a mile from the end of the runway, like a farm shed yet ? I note they don’t show the house they decided to build at the end of a runway and the exact location. Maybe they’d get less sympathy if they did I guess.

Building it a mile from the end of a proposed runway and thinking any form of departure route is going to be acceptable is ……well fill in the blank yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

No doubt a file image of Qatar. There's no stand 14B at Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

I can't beliece Fingal Council gave them planning permission in 2018 for a house on or close to the extended centreline of 10L/28R, the location of whihc was known decades before.

Either Fingal Co Council is totally incompetent or there is rempant corruption somewhere. No other possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Would you have a pin or coordinate for it please?

No sorry I’m not going to invade someone’s privacy and post that. I’d also suggest to others that may be tempted that they shouldn’t either, how would you like the exact location of your home posted online ?

• Advertisement

It’s not on the centerline, it’s less than a mile north of it. Crazy place to build a home in the last few years alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Whilst the image is clearly not of Dublin - they do use a double airbridge set-up for the middle-eastern carriers that load from the B gates. Inside the terminal is First and Business boarding at a different gate to Economy.

I've boarded Emirates on stand 316 this way - think it's gates 306 & 307 for passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

No issues with people knowing where I live to be honest. https://maps.app.goo.gl/RQRcsjYwpUgktVdr7

Google will blur your house if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

Did she think that there would be no noise a mile from the runway centreline, and about a mile or so from the runway threshold?

I was actually more interested in how a house could be built out of corrugated steel in this day and age and still meet modern compliance requirements, so I wanted to have a look. Perhaps that's the issue here is that the house is built out of the wrong material and that's why they're hearing the noise more.

As far as I can see, her point is that others were offered buyouts or insulation based on an expected flight path. They were not offered this and along with their own research into expected flight paths the assumption was made that they would not be affected. So now that they are affected, why are they not being treated in the same was as others. That's what I gleaned from the piece anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

Interesting house, I would have gone with more windows and some skylights to view the planes as they passed overhead.

and I would think under building regs in 2019 there is a shed load of insulation in that roof.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭blackwhite

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭cml387

Can someone answer a question that arises from an RTE story this morning, apologies if this has been raised before.

When the flightplans were discussed in the planning stage it showed aircraft continuing on the extended centreline.

Now apparently westbound flights (and presumably eastbound as well)are required to make an immediate turn (looks like about 15 degrees) to the right to avoid possible conflict with go arounds fromteh south runway. The article is on the RTE website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

That's all been discussed extensively here on more than one occasion. It would be worth your while going back to read up.

Briefly, as I recall it, there must be a minimum divergence between the departure path from one runway and the go-around path from the parallel. In Dublin's military airspace, Weston and the mountains are factors in favour of the north runway being the one to diverge.

Don't forget that in due course Dublin is supposed to move to mixed mode, which would see some parallel approaches and parallel departures. Clearly, effective separation in all circumstances is key to this working successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

RTE are worse for airing this tonight. Those residents should be ignored at this stage.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Some thoughts on the program tonight

-35db was quoted as the regulation noise level for inside a house. Only true for non-events. Events such as passing aircraft or trains can be 45db (Regulation BS8233) . The DBs will vary between take offs and landing.

- The DAA guy will insulate your house if it breaches 63db but not 62db or below. This is an absolute dereliction of duty of care, planning permission or not, 62db would be a horrific internal noise level and wouldn't meet modern regulations.

-The airport contributes to 2.3% of the economy. There's loads of money and this project has not been properly costed. They got it on the cheap, the true cost is whatever it cost so far plus whatever it takes to get any affected houses down to BS8233 standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

Thoughts are no different from before, dr and her neighbours need a hobby.

I will say I lack even less sympathy for the woman who bought a house in Portmarnock in 2020 under the south runway now complaining about the noise. A runway which has been active 30 + years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭john boye

I assume Rte gave her the soft focus and didn't ask her what she was expecting when she bought a house under an existing runway?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

if there was a public tender process, such as CAP1616 which happens in the UK .... all of this tripe would be heard and put to bed immediately.

Similar to the Dr who built a house 1 mile from the end of a runway. Irrespective of routing an aircraft takes after takeoff you are always going to be 1 mile from the end of the runway. So why don’t they ask those difficult questions “what did you realistically expect when you built so close to an airport ?”

like the people in Norfolk in the U.K. who wanted a house by the sea and who built on sand/chalk cliffs close to the sea in an area known for high rates of erosion who now see their homes disappearing in to the sea. “Oh we knew, but we thought we had longer, insurers would never insure our homes so we knew the risk”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I don't care much about a South Runway-already insulated situation. They are in the situation others are trying to get to.

I have great sympathy for non-insulated North Runway people who have been failed by ABP, failed by DAA and failed by people like those on this thread who are only willing to treat them as an inconvenient truth and ride rough shod over their welfare. I think it's a rotten attitude to take towards your fellow citizen tbh.

Those people need to be looked after. Pay up for widespread insulation to BS8233 levels and the matter goes to bed.

BS=British Standard, this isn’t Britain this does not apply here. Hint: find an equivalent EU directive to quote. People will take you more seriously if you have done proper, complete and accurate research not just the first thing found on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 brwh11

This is 100% correct. For years the planning authority worked on the assumption that the flight path was directly west out from runway, and this dictated policy. The DAA and regulators obviously never considered this properly and implemented a different flight path.

An immediate sharp turn after take-off is not normal for a major airport, and would only be seen in places with difficult topography etc. It is a fudged solution and they need to work with regulators and military etc. to put in place a proper situation like at all major airports with parallel runways.

In the meantime the DAA need to get their wallet (fat) out and put in the mitigations people need locally.

Advertisement