Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

There isn’t a politician in the country who wants to hand RTÉ a big wodge of cash.

Dee Forbes spent her years as DG begging the government for funds and didn’t get a penny. Now RTÉ has a toxic brand.

If the Government has to pay to keep RTÉ from bankruptcy, they will need the opposition to play ball. That’s the role of the PAC.

Post edited by Caquas on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I don't see it happening all Political Parties are the same on this issue. All believe that the problem lies with the collection of the licence fee.

Dee Forbes' whole raison d'etre was we need more money and the licence fee is broken, the only way to keep doing what we are doing is for reform of the licence fee. Never a plan as to how they might use the extra funding because we know they they just felt that a programme costing them 100k per episode really should be costing €200k because it is that good and RTÉ are doing a stellar job when you consider the budgets that they have!

All legislators really need to think about what RTÉ is doing and what RTÉ will be doing in the future.

IMO bailing them out rewards their mismanagement of the company over the years and it rewards the incompetency of those in charge.

RTÉ must be split up much like FAS was split up. AFAIK FAS was split across Screen Ireland, DSP (entreo), the new company Solas, the ETBs (formally VECs) and the HSE.

Unfortunately as I see it presently, and this may change, but PAC and the Media Committee just want reform of RTÉ. The Cabinet may think differently. The Minister seems happy to throw money at it, and the Minister has largely thrown money at things without any real focus IMO.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Has been reported how much TSB is paying for sponsorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

I don't know know. With the audience figures in decline they might be thinking are we flogging a dead horse. 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Oh what a tangled web:

And all because of the Tubridy payments.

Regards...jmcc

This initial decline would have been expected. You can see where rises have happened with TLLS.

GB, PK and RT's last TLLSs

PK, RT AND PK2's first TLLSs

Then falls after these episodes.

RT intiall year was relatively stable after the fall. Then in successive years he was seeing falls, this is why they started doing more specials such as the C&W show, Valentines Show, St. Patrick's Show and the slight return of the Enterprise and Antiques shows during RT's era. RT's number had fallen massively up to the death of GB. The Gay Byrne Speical, The Marian Finuacan Special, The Keelan Shanley Special and even what could have been the Larry Gogan Special during successive weeks gave RT massive gains in audience. This was then followed by COVID TLLS, which also help rise TLLS (TBH even during lockdown their were better things to be watch but it seems like viewers lapped it up), once COVID was gone RT was sinking again only to be reived at St. Paddy's Special because he announces he is leaving.

But on unremarkable weeks he TLLS was loosing against The Saturday Night Show and Tommy Teirnan.

The question now is will this short TLLS series work as the weeks go on, along with the specials and can a pre-recorded special work? But the audience figures are to be expected.

I think they will flatline and then drop off slowly as time goes on.

Also from RTÉ's point of view axing their Late Night Friday Night news coupled with Government decision to run elections on a Friday night also help TLLS with David McCullagh waxing lyrically on the late late show about the RTÉ Exit Poll, also helped Tub's time at the helm of the show.

______

Yesterday

There isn't enough data on Kielty's LLS appearances yet but there is one consistent trend with Tubridy. He lost viewers from when he took over the show. It ceased being the LLS show and became the Ryan Tubridy show. The same NKM faces showing up time and again didn't help. Even with the change in viewing habits (streaming etc), the LLS audience is quite well defined.

The LLS/radio tie-in worked for Gay Byrne and Pat Kenny because they were/are at the top of their game and were interesting. With Tubridy, it was hard to tell where the LLS babbling and the radio show babbling began and ended without checking the time. The reviews for Kielty's LLS have been quite positive so far and they seem to have noticed the difference.

The methodology of measuring the audience for TV and radio is problematic at best.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Uhmmm……what issues are NOT problematic out in Montrose.

Seems a stall holder in a weekend pop up market has more accountability than RTE?

They keep battering on on various programmes about companies not producing spokespersons to answer questions on issues….Duffy especially dramatic about it , big Vincent Browne sighs if he only gets statements, yet his own vehicle of employment would compare with the Sopranos when it comes to releasing information.

Its a joke…. Govt better realise pretty quick they had better not die on the hill of RTE because in my opinion they will get a public backlash similar to the water charges if they just meekly bankroll them to carry on as before.

The Public need to see change, meaningfull change ,not window dressing and they need it quick.

The methodology of measuring the audience for TV and radio is problematic at best.

I agree but it what we have, I'd argue that TVs is slight better, don't understand why Radio use JNLR.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Most of the country is on Virgin media cable networks. That might be able to provide better viewing data (anonymised). The "listening" for n minutes even when the radio is just background noise is really iffy because there's no active selection of the channel or programme by the listener. For advertisers, it is a guesstimate of how many people its advertising could reach.

Regards...jmcc

For RTE? Paying "expenses" and overpaying "talent". The fact that Tubridy has not received any firm offers from other Irish or international broadcasters for anything like the money the clowns in RTE were paying shows the level of dysfunction in that company.

Regards...jmcc

And there's a lot of other clowns in the arena of RTE who are still getting as much if not more than Tubridy per hora airtime produced.

JQT has been ridden ragged by this lot for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

…..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

In would have liked minister Martin to answer truthfully whether she had confidence in the rte board and chairwoman.

Where is her supposed truth and honesty?

She wants our national broadcaster to show those attributes. About time she started showing some example.

No one can have confidence in the RTÉ Board, most of them are on the board for more than 2 years. The Chair I'd give a chance to as she is just coming into her first year. But I do think she or someone should be asking for resignations. Many are just going to leave the board over the next couple of months without taking any responsibility. Indeed at the Oireachtas I felt they were mollycoddled by the TDs and Senators. Ian Keogh certainly should have been quizzed more as he was Deputy Chair and is still Deputy Chair.

______

Yesterday

The chair certainly didn’t give me any confidence that she could manage quick genuine change in RTE.

Chair wouldn’t give me any confidence she can handle what is required here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Richard Collins and Adrian Lynch still employed by RTE. There's still 1,800 staff members.

Nothing has been done except for the recruitment freeze.

She reminds me of my mother, I have this feeling that behind closed doors she rules the roost but is fair, however IMO my mam would have told any of the older members to leave the board and would have had a blistering attack on Dee Forbes. She also be in tears at the Oireachtas Committee... ah she's nothing like that women, she far better :)

Ah they should replace Kevin Bakhurst with my Dad, he could say every now and then .... "What they need ... is a good ... kick ... up .. the .. arse". 😂

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

If there's one thing that the Tubridy payments scandal has shown about RTE it is that failure is not an option in RTE. It is compulsory. The management is a failure. The board is a failure. Tubridy was a failure. Maybe the best option is to let RTE, as it is, fail and then rebuild.

As for Martin's appearance before the PAC, she is competely out of her depth. No amount of Grant Thornton reports or forensic accountancy investigations are going to fix the institutional problems of RTE. All they do is identify problems.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Indeed. It's as rotten as any of the other semi/state bodies that have been revealed in recent years. A government serious about reform would be re-naming it, whole new board, relocation maybe, the works.

As it stands, we're only going to get musical chairs and a lot of old blather until they get the inevitable wodge of cash they need from the state. Slowly but surely it will slide down the list of news topics, public interest will flag and Bakkurst et al will be looking for business as usual. Full state funding would be a gift to RTE. They could really go full bore of wasting money then, and they'd be no pesky licence payers withholding their funding. The cheek of those peasants!

I think had they Claire Byrne presenting it, the ratings would be even lower.

No indication her disastrous quiz show is being renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Would have been a very different show. Much more a continuation of the Tub's era.

I'm not sure I like all chat shows becoming vehicles for comedians but considering how poor LLS guest lineups usually are, I think it's better in the hands of someone who can lighten things up and make the most of a bad lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Her disastrous quiz show was only a Noel Kelly mechanism to inflate her wage(and his cut).

I dearly hope that little pin-striped Napoleon is pilloried in the street, all 5 foot 7 of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

It's like when Ben Dunne had his unfortunate episode in Florida. Little did we know or suspect the repercussions of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭chrisd2019

But genuine change is not what RTE has on its agenda, all they want is a plan that gets more money to continue the gravy train and then some bizarre issue will become the reason why the plan cannot be implemented should anyone ask in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

wouldnt put any of the management or directors in charge of a puddle,theres about 1800 staff,what do they do???and as for what they call "talent" about as much talent as a rock...i actually watched the late late last friday,not to bad but then anyone would be better then the last gobdaw and in the interests of fairness as id never watched it before, i watched an episode of fair city the other evening,all i can say is 'holy shite' and they get paid actual money to be one that?!!!?and they wanted a photographer to take photos of it? FFS!! i got the demand for my telly tax yesterday and i dont know if im going to pay it,no way is what i saw,certainly not on fair city,worth 160blips a year....and absoferkinlutely no way should they get any more money until there are huge changes in rte...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

A senior producer on the Late Late has left the programme according to reports this morning.

It's not looking good for the Late Late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

That show showed up her limitations in great detail. She is completely over rated, and I think part of it is because she is female.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement