Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

If we've to drastically cut emissions, and lately this thread is hinting that it needs to be done now, then why aren't we imposing driving restrictions, flying restrictions, importing crap from far flung places, etc, etc. It's an emergency or it's not.

It's like some of the councillors know a lot of people are struggling (though I'd say the cost of living is blown out of all proportion) and upping the LPT isn't warranted. The council should be cleaning the streets anyway regardless of the LPT or it's value. Surely it's a core thing to be doing and shouldn't be dependent on any LPT to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is €375 a year for someone who owns a house worth €1m.

Those who are really struggling - on the streets - don't pay LPT, and rent controls mean that renters are not affected either.

I don't buy the people are struggling thing in the context of LPT, but it comes into other issues.

The council need money to clean the streets, if they don't have it, they need to raise it, hence they want to keep LPT at the non-reduced rate. You have to remember that the government funds councils on the basis of full collection of LPT. If a council reduces LPT, they give money back to citizens but services have to be cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Street cleaning should be mandatory as you say and DCC are a disgrace.

However, as a Dublin resident, I dont want the LPT increased because a third of it goes outside Dublin to prop up the other counties.

If the money stayed locally, fair enough. But it doesnt.

The councils know this & so its not worth them voting to increase it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What is €375? The LPT? There's no payment rate valued at €375. It'd be somewhere around 400k premises value if it existed.

It's €1035 for a house valued at €1M. A lot of houses in Dublin can fall into that bracket. That house could still be a clapped out, modest but drafty,1920s 3 bed semi detached that just so happens to be in a desirable urban area. It doesn't mean that the house (or its rebuild cost) is anywhere near that. But €1035 is not an inconsequential value, especially since its after income tax etc.

Considering the Councils were supposed to look after general maintenance and repair long before LPT, they should still be doing this core function instead of letting the place fall apart and relying on tidy towns or whatever to do their role.

What was the point of finally taking Road from the motor traffic to give to us pedestrians, only to let the Lilac and Briars encroach and take up a significant portion of our lovely new paths?

It is the saving on the reduced rate for multi-million houses. Left-wing parties like PBP and SF joined with centre parties FF and FG to give a rate reduction in Dublin City Council to millionaires in D4 rather than hire extra people to clean the streets. A double whammy for those without a job having to walk around a dirty city centre during the day.

Council grants were reduced by the amount that LPT raises when it was brought in. It replaced central government funding.

Things have greatly improved in Fingal, with the council doing a lot more, because they didn't reduce the LPT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Plenty of people in D4 are in areas like Ringsend and Irishtown, as well as less glamorous parts of Donnybrook etc and although their fixed asset homes may be valued highly, it doesn't mean that they are particularly affluent. Many are living in F and G rated homes and instead of being able to invest in retrofits, they've to hand over €1035 to look at filthy streets while their money helps light up the Rock of Cashel at night.

Given the higher population density in urban areas, there should be plenty of funds to cover a much smaller surface area than rural Tipp or wherever, even with the reduced LPT rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

This is my problem with all these shiny new so called hypotheticated taxes, there just an excuse to add to the overall tax burden without delivering anything in return.

In the context of this thread glad to hear pplicy consideration is being given to holding off any further increases in one of those so called hypotheticated tax - 'fuel duty/carbon taxes'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Genuine question, does Fingal co council have to send a third of their LPT takings to other jurisdictions?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Street Sweeping in my area happens maybe twice a year in a lucky year, once a year mostly and some years not at all. Not in a big county so I do wonder what the crew of the Street Sweeping team are doing for the other 225+ working days in the year. Most areas across the county seem equally unattended.

The storm drain cleaning is next to non-existent. The initial Tidy Towns green initiative to plant trees back in the day (good idea) means alot of semi-mature deciduous trees and boy do these like to block the storm drains. All the drains are choked as a result. Neighbour down the road commented about the rain pooling on the road like never before and says it's evidence of climate change. 🙄

I went out the other evening and cleared out two of the storm drains which were blocked, that will alleviate my neighbour's climate change worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

If this is the low this thread has got, it’s time to disassociate myself from it.

• Advertisement

I've lived in a few towns and villages and when there I've seen road sweepers like clockwork each week. In Athlone when I was there that bollox driving the yellow road sweeper would, without fail, be out around Athlone Castle and in over the bridge every bloody morning at 8.45am, right at peak morning traffic. He drove me mad every single day trying to get out of town to work. Even where I am now the yellow truck goes each Tuesday around the town, and then onto another town. It has a set routine each week. And this in a county that has nothing compared to Dublin city. Blaming filthy streets on not raising the LPT is pure and utter bollox from whoever is suggesting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I know, I was trying to keep it simple. Thing is that most of green believers cant grasp basic math. If you try to point out that they cant "just stop oil" and switch to so called "green" energy which require complete rebuild of energy creation and transfer simply because there is not enough material required to do so (not to mention time) the answer is always the same. Talk about some experimental technology and firm belief that it will all be sorted some time in the future and that someone will figure it out eventually. All that new promising technology in development kind of stuff.

R&D are cool and we are moving forward yet to figure out what will work in the real world condition, iron out imperfections and to make it work require time and a lot of money. Cutting the branch on which we sit in order to get higher will cause the exact opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

What exactly do you mean by decades of work?

I remember quite a lot of scary stuff which came out last few decades, none of which came even close to be true. No point to list all crazy stories they tend to come out every now and then someone claiming we either burn, freeze, drown, choke etc.

Now it is fancier, no need to put a face on baseless claim as they are being manufactured by computers hence nobody will have to eat crows. All those climate models with predictions of end of times because they were coded to be exactly that.

Yes.

But around Dublin 15 anyway, there have been significant improvements in the last year or two.

Well actually, one of the problems is that all the Dublin councils are required to give some of their LPT to counties like Westmeath meaning they have less for their own services and should then charge the high rate of LPT to fund them.

Pretty basic stuff in terms of local authority funding.

As evidenced by the state of the streets, there clearly isn't. The people of Dublin City have spoked through their elected representatives - more money in their pocket instead of clean streets. That is democracy and I accept the people have spoken. Won't stop me saying that I think the people got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I know exactly what you mean.You dig a little deeper and weigh the pros and cons, costs and benefits of a rapid transition to green energy they always come up with an argument that simply states:' because we HAVE to'. They put their thumb on the scale and deny that they are doing it. With the usual short time frame for the transition. They expect everybody to accept proposals that a typical graduate would fail on. The article above points out the bloody obvious.

Again, the greens need the hydro carbon doomsday scenario. Those people who are willing to seriously look at the transition tech know that net zero emissions by 2050 is simply a pipe dream, an aspiration to make the transition as rapid as possible. I get the feeling that those who posed the whole concept probably knew that but that net zero by 2100 wasnt going to fly. Too far away. Better start now and we'll get to the wonderful other end after the usual hickups along the way. That promised land is tied to the green ideology and hence religious by nature. But it is mainly a western concept not shared by the majority of the world's population. Hell, i dont know if it is even shared by the majority of people in the west who seem to go no further than: 'we need to do something about climate change' but haven't really looked at the bill. Most are focussed on home solar panels and insulation. Solar panels seem to have stalled in Holland. All in all that rapid transition needs fascism to work. Too bad that both the internet and proper journalists make old style fascist control unlikely no matter how much deflection by governments and the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭Shoog

The reason why net zero by 2050 was introduced was because we blew past the targets set by the COP conferences which allowed for a slower and less Draconian transition. The target was to hold temp rise to 1.5c , the point when many of the tipping points will strongly kick in. Since we are almost at 1.5c temp rise already we look to be on target to fail to hold climate change on check as per 2050.

The predictions set out by the IPCC in their summery reports are entirely worse than what the climate change deniers would have everyone believe.

The change needed is not unachievable, the resources are there. We built a fossil fuel economy in less than 100 years and we built the electric grid in about 50. These are achievements on a similar scale to the achievement of net zero. What is lacking is political will to drive the change and useful fools who buy into the fossil fuel industries properganda that it is impossible.

Let it also be said that I will always take the opinion of the IPCC experts over the opinion of some internet blowhards.

I'm confused Blanch. You've already stated that some of the LPT collected in Dublin is sent elsewhere. Instead of increasing the LPT in Dublin, perhaps it should be kept in Dublin as it is supposed to be a Local Property Tax. Maybe those areas getting that money from Dublin should increase their own LPT to make up the difference.

My argument is that cleaning streets shouldn't be linked to LPT. When there was no LPT, the streets were being cleaned. Linking them is bullshit and saying we won't clean yer streets because we aren't getting enough LPT should be enough to **** each and every councillor who suggests it out at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

877 pages non the wiser

wouldn’t it be fair to say at this stage that management of our resources is whats causing all the problem’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Far as I could tell DCC is more concerned about Palestine than Phibsboro. I doubt that anyone who can actually read a balance sheet even bothers with elections for that rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Narrow boats No, private jets Yes.

No doubt there's an NGO research report confirming that private jet owners are amongst the most concerned about "the future of our precious planet" and that their very own children suffer the most from anxiety about the impending climate armageddon. Narrow boat owners Booh booh, private jet owners Yay yay #somuchclimatecare, LOL!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/23/ban-on-wood-burners-threatens-british-boat-dwellers-with-winter-freeze

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Reminds me of Harris's concern that the lack of accommodation for foreign students could tarnish Irelands reputation abroad.

They are a menace to the city. Dublin City would be better off without them.

Oh, I see the money for cleaning streets grows on trees, maybe the cleaners could collect as they go about their unpaid business.

The streets haven't been cleaned - see the state of Dublin city - so how the LPT is needed to clean them, unless the magical money pays for it.

• Advertisement

It is not confusing to want both i.e. not only should LPT be paid at the full rate in Dublin, but the full amount collected should be spent on Dublin. We could have one of the best cities in Europe rather than the tumbledown shack it represents most of the time.

Advertisement