Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Oof, the hyperbole bullshit is going to be off the charts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Molyneux and the power of blockchain? Good god, that's a monstrous combination - though I think Molyneux's race has run & can't see anyone left who's gonna fall for his bullshít TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

But the portal on its own does nothing. Similar with the wii-u controller. It just made the base console more expensive.

This idea would be it's own console that you can play on the TV. But it also gives a second life to the millions of switches already out their.

The switch on its own works, the console on its own works. Put them together and you have a next gen switch for a fraction of the price of a new next gen switch 2.

Make it the size of a Amazon cube, Style it like a GameCube, make it back compatible with existing switch games and controllers, and charge €200 and it would sell millions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Assuming a Nintendo Switch 2 will be another hybrid, I for one do not want a device that cannot play games natively (in either form). A streaming-only device is far too niche, IMO, and dramatically limits the benefits of a handheld console.

There's probably some kind of market for a streaming device like the Portal (probably small, until proven otherwise), but 130 million Switches sold suggests Nintendo has found a hardware format that works. And while I'm already skeptical about a digital-only future (unfortunately probably closer than I'd like), I really think we're a long way away from core, flagship devices that don't play games natively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One thing I'd put my money on: whatever Nintendo go for, it's incredibly unlikely it'll be technologically advanced to the extent of keeping parity with Sony / MS. Especially if it's handheld & not streaming powered. Nintendo just don't do that, and never have AFAIK; they're more into hardware compromise than other companies IMO.

I'm doubtful it'll "just" be a roided-out Switch either, but what gimmick the hardware will have is anyone's guess. CAn't see it being VR based, and given how finicky their networking can be sometimes, I can't see 'em going into Streaming either (though it does exist on Switch ATM, albeit through a very flaky 3rd party IIRC)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I want dual screens again. Dual screens are the perfect form factor to enjoy videogames and I won't be convinced otherwise.

Even the most lazy implementation of a map or menu on the bottom screen was far better than single screen gamings implementation.

The switch had its own space at launch. Handhelds had kinda dropped off the scene so it could be unique.

But now it's much more crowded. The Steam Deck has changed that landscape.

Even the switch itself is still selling well.

They risk pulling a Wii-u and releasing a console that is more expensive and less powerful than the competition out there and people can't justify it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As great as the Steam Deck is, it isn't competing with Nintendo, or indeed the other consoles. They're selling a fraction of them compared to what a Switch 2 will likely sell in its first year alone. It's a niche device, for a dedicated audience.

The move to a Nvidia chipset that will hopefully leverage DLSS - as reports seem to be pointing towards - will give the Switch 2 a good advantage over its predecessor. I expect PS4-level performance, similar to Steam Deck, but Nvidia upscaling could really let it be a lot more competitive on more modern TVs relative to Switch 1. But as ever, Nintendo is doing their own thing, and its Nintendo games people flock to their consoles for, not ports of something they can get on a Playstation or Xbox (as 'value add' as those third-party titles can be to the device).

I do also hope whatever they go with, Nintendo maintain that healthy embrace of the indie scene; cos alongside the 1st party titles it has been that deep bench of indie darlings, greats & hidden gems that has elongated my playtime the most.

Hopefully with an improved eShop interface. While the early years of the indie scene on Switch were a triumph, the absolute mess of an interface and the flood of junk onto the eShop made it harder and harder to break out there for developers and for users to actually discover the many great games hidden in the mess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Knew I wasn't going mad and had read something somewhere. Someone of Eurogamer corrected me. It was ruled that striking workers can claim unemployment benefit in California which some people speculate lead to Hollywood reaching an agreement. That's what I was trying to get at.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The reason this strike is going ahead is because the recent strike sets legal precedence. It's practically a shoe in the will get the same terms save some bone headed legal team screw up by the union. It's a very different legal landscape now.

The striker being eligible for unemployment, that's wasn't rule by anyone in California it's a new unsigned law not legal precedence for the unions legal team. The second largest place in US for film/television New york had that law since the 80s which was challenged in court but only on states rights vs federal as to what a state could enact.

It wasn't a judge declaring it was illegitimate to deny them it just that a state could if they wanted to

The Californian law isn't signed yet and may not be as the fund that pays it is 18bn in debt from Covid, if it was it'd be next year when it would apply and it'd not apply to most of the Hollywood strikers. If California does follow through it'll be another 4 months before it'd apply.

The criteria for it as the same as in the other states that have it, where most actors and writers weren't eligible including New York. The law is more for full time employees who're locked out, like any auto workers for those strikes. Those between jobs ie most actors wouldn't qualify for it only those who'd to leave a job.

it's like ~80% of actors unemployed at one time or something like that who knows about writers, those unemployed actors ironically would be the ones who're not eligible for unemployment. Even then it's only up to 2/3 minimum wage job based on previous times your past employers paid the tax, it could be very low if you've not worked a while before the strike.

Whatever leverage the unions had this didn't add to it, and for games it'll add even less with how less centralized it is.

Makes sense, I imagine most involved in this one would be private contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I wonder will foldable screens be at a price point for Switch 2 to be a 100 million+ seller. I think perhaps. They don't need to be flagship smartphones levels with super high refresh rates and resolutions. And we are probably still a year out to release. But maybe not resilient enough for 6 year olds ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

A lot of the improvement to VR screen is entirely down to phone screen improvements, but there you can get a screen of ever improving quality at multiple price points as there are phones at multiple price points with those screens with a market size that dwarfs the scale of practically everything within consumer end products.

For the bending screen that's such a limited market that's only targeting the super high-end of phones so you've not got the broad span of price points. Nintendo will have scale but it's not the same as all phones ever.

There's huge potential for the new OLED printing method, and we could see bending screen on more devices but until then they'll never have the scale for it for a Switch 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

A dual screen wouldn't lend itself to the Switch gimmick, since what are you meant to do when it's docked.

Unless it came with a second screen to stream to that the controllers can connect to so it would be like a Wii U gamepad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The could have the switch stream to/from the dock. Like the Wii U, in reverse. So the dock just receives and displays the upper screen and the switch does all the processing and is the lower screen and the controller for these dual screen games.

Anyway. It's fun to speculate. And wonder if Nintendo will play it safe. Always interesting to see what they do with hardware.

Been looking forward to this one since superbunnyhop covered the chapter 1 demo a couple of years ago. Good to see it reach completion.

Looks like Valve are rumoured to be going with my Switch 2 idea, with a Steam Deck TV.

It's a much more powerful console version of the steam deck. A table top console that plays on a TV natively and then can also stream over high frequency WiFi to the steam deck and VR headsets.

• Advertisement

There's nothing new there. I bought a mini PC for the downstairs tv and it allows me to stream steam games from my PC upstairs out of the box. Don't have a steam deck but don't see how that couldn't be a thing. Sounds like another steam machine. You're also forgetting that it's well over a grand of hardware if you factor in this steam machine and steam deck which wouldn't make it feasible as a new Nintendo console.

Nintendo brining the 3DS and WiiU out back to be **** like old yeller.

Square Enix unleashing an assault on every decent Irish person. Their official pronunciation is a mispronunciation. I wouldn't mind but the Japanese katakana is way more accurate:

Don't bother complaining online about it. You'll only get Americans telling you you are wrong.

So they're rumoured to be making a... PC? 😅

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The big thing for any Switch 2 for me is battery life.

The battery life of the Switch is awful.

Bad battery life seems to be a thing for videogame electronics. The 3DS was similarly awful and then you have the PS4 and 5 controllers. I fortunately if it's a hybrid console I can see Nintendo skimping here.

I never said it was new. I said it would be a great way to make use of the 135 million Switches that people already own by using those existing Switches as the handheld screen for the new console rather than making a new more powerful & more expensive dedicated handheld.

Much the same way you felt like it was a good idea to have the more powerful PC do the processing and stream to the less powerful PC.

Not sure why it works for PC games for you, but not for Nintendo games.

It would need a hardware update to the switch. The WiiU, and most likely the portal, had proprietary decoding chips.

As for only working with PC games all I said is my PC can do it. I don't see any utility in it. I found remote play to be lame and what this does with steam deck and the portal seem to be the same but with far less utility since it's only local.

Yeah but like the Steam Deck is a "hand-held PC", this is a "TV Unit PC" rather than a "Desktop PC".

They tried it before with the Steam Box, but the mistake they made then was outsourcing it to third parties. They are doing it all in-house this time and basing it on the Deck's proton set-up so it works out of the box with the controllers.

It is more so for the wireless VR headset. It needs the high-frequency Wi-Fi for that. But will also work to stream to the Deck.

They want all three pieces of their hardware to be symbiotic. You don't need all of them, but if you do have more than one they add a benefit to each other.

This unit gives you the power. The Deck gives you portability for that power, and the headset gives you VR. And they own the digital software market. All bases are covered.

• Advertisement

Switch hardware already supports cloud streaming so it doesn't need any updates. You would just have the option to play the game locally when sitting at your TV. Or if you want to you can play it on the switch in bed. The stream just comes from your local machine instead of Nintendo's cloud server so much better experience.

The portal runs games on your local hardware but you can play it anywhere in the world as long as you are online and able to connect to it. I can't imagine it being a great experience on hotel wi-fi for example but it is technically possible.

I do this all the time. Xbox or PS5 runs the game I play it on my Steam Deck. It gives a massive boost to the game's quality and battery life on the Deck. Goes from 2-4 hours of battery life up to 8-10 hours

I rarely play anything natively on the handheld.

Advertisement