Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnbilleve

dairygold have another 2cents earmarked for next month I believe. I also believe that the board are going on an all expenses paid holiday to New Zealand to explore markets. The home of milk production and they are going exploring dairy markets. Now that is a joke and the price of my milk being sold for under the cost of production!!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmertipp

they would hardly drop 2 cent and go on a junket to new zealand as well?

doubt if dairygold would be that disconnected from reality.

anyway tipp coop paid 35 this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,703 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Now is not the time to be looking for new markets, they should have been at that ages ago.

I’m fairly confident it’s in the pipeline. If it does come to fruition it surely time for us as dairy farmers to wake up and challenge this!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Areabawn board were there last year ….nonissue with it nor should you with your board ….albeit timing this year with all the cuts isn’t good …these trips don’t happen every year

What is Bord Bia and ornua for??? Board is there to fight for the best price for the suppliers.

Post edited by johnbilleve on

I think the optics don't look great to be honest if its true. big difference between this yr and last year. we will see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,826 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

These trips are organized 6-12 months in advance. It's hard to cancel them when commited and 40-60% of the funding is commitment flight's and accommodation

It's probably once in a term junket

Slava Ukrainii

Good to see 4.4 % rise in gdt today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Wmp nearly back over the 3k mark, you'd hope it will put a floor under current prices here, if the lower paying co-ops push through another 2-3 cent of Sept milk they'll destroy lads confidence altogether heading into the winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

All the indications are that they all want milk circa 30 or below by end of year …..real life is starting to come into markets again ….albeit from a low base ….real pressure needs to be put on board members to use there influence to hold milk prices now …..I’d be fully expecting a rebound by time we start again early next year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

If price does pick up in 2024, would a 6-7c/litre margin be realistic again?

If the loan repayments weren’t too high I mean.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

unfortunately dg board are determined to cut by 2. they must have made some slip up sales wise during the yr that's not being admitted to. watch this space .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Jack98

If you’re not counting your own labour you’d be talking 35-40k profit at that margin on a 100 cow run of the mill herd…there would be a lot calling it a day in 2025 if that was the case. That’s a brutal return for the work involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,994 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Are we even a year since we had posters explaining why dairy men should be paying at least 500 an acre to passive landowners for the pleasure of working that ground?

You would have to feel sorry for lads who were starting out and put in big money and locked in high price long term leases to hit some sort of scale.

Praying for some sort of miracle uplift in global prices and for that to be actually filtered in here

There is no helping some people though, I have a relation late 20s took over the home place 18 months ago. He had worked across 2/3 established large herds in the county which I think gave him ideas. Went home and has sunk 3/4 of a million into a state of the art setup to go from 60 cows to 100 that is complete lunacy I hope for him he had a lot of that backed from his parents. That sort of investment will never leave a return and I doubt his story is a one off around the country.

You'd be on a road to nowhere with 60 cows these days to be fair. If you are already in your system and have no major expense then it might see you out, but I wouldn't like to be settling on 60 cows in my 20's and hoping that will see me out to retirement. It's sad, but reality. That said, 750k seems a bit out of proportion to be spending in one go. Two robots and a new shed though and you'd be a long way towards it. I'm guessing he did something like that? He might have looked at it as saving a labour unit if he has something else going on the side.

If it works out, he's a smart man who was brave enough to do it. If it doesn't, he's an eejit. Hindsight is 20:20 vision.

I remember your man Daragh McCullough having an article in the paper years ago about 80 acres of land that his father lost to the banks in the 80's. He was making the point that even though he drives by it every day, it doesn't bother him. He also said in the article that his father came from somewhere else to buy their farm back in the 50's or 60's and he planted it with spuds and the first year was such a bumper year that he made his money back in that year.

I wish him all the best and would hate to see him fail but rome wasn’t built in a day springs to mind and you could hardly be advising anyway entering farming to be borrowing 4/5k+ per cow even to buy land not to mind build a yard.

Well he might not have borrowed it all. I wouldn't take the risk myself though

You wouldn't get the sniff of land at 4/5k per cow these days!

• Advertisement

I’ve no doubt he didn’t but even at half for that number of cows there was easier ways to make the jump in numbers when it wasn’t all that drastic. The comfort would of the setup would be nice no doubt though.

What was there before might have an impact too. The previous setup might have been struggling with the 60 cows. The 60 could have been 30 or 40 before quotas were lifted.

Might have been an old small 4-unit parlour and old sheds etc. Straw bedded, stone floors....just waiting for an inspector to drop in

Round roof cubicle shed with lean-to’s and automatic scrapers into an easy feed slatted tank and old 8 unit parlour and the usual hay barns old stone buildings you’d find in most yards for calving and calves. Now has state of the art 20 unit parlour room for 24, new calving shed, new calf shed with automatic feeders and 125 cubicle shed. No expense spared a lot of galvanized pillars in sheds etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

Partnership with parents and €80k tams refunded too maybe.

Still is that really justified for that number of cows? Genuinely

Sounds like he might have the landbase to expand, even with existing restrictions.

Are the caps not a bit higher now? 90k maybe?

(Presuming there is still a 60% rate for young qualified and he is qualified)

Perhaps there are also tax reasons if the parents had a big ball of cash and want to put that into assets to pass it on.

About 200 acres that would be mixed, any time I’ve talked to him he maintains he’ll never milk over 100 milking 70 this year will have the 100 next year with heifers he has bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

At 400k borrowed on a 15 year term at 7% intrest he's looking at repayments of 3400 a month without anything else added in put in a tractor and jeep on the drip aswell and your up to 5k, so basically 500 a cow in intrest and capital repayments a year, our in cent per litre terms 9-12 cent depending on cow yields, if he ever has to go for a mortgage on a house, start a family etc and pull a good weekly wage out of the place in a year like this year he'll be under savage pressure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,703 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If you're going to milk cows for the rest of your days you might as well have some comfort doing it. Who are we to judge what other lads at at. Let them at it

Advertisement