Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Looking at these drawings the inbound location for stop 618 is not accurate at all in both the existing location and proposed location. Looking here you'd think the stop was right at Newcommen Bridge but it's not. It at least 50-60 metres further down the road meaning it's even closer to stop 619 and a bigger gap to stop 616 which is the point of the original complaint.

On the outbound route stop 516 has now been moved to this location already so I assume that this is going to be a permanent move. It will make for a very small stop here compared to the old stop because there's a road right beside it and then the bridge. You'll barely get one bus at that location. The old 518 stop was again much closer to the Five Lamps junction and was much bigger as well. Ironically given the desire to have bus stops downstream of traffic lights this stop is right before two sets of traffic lights at Newcommen bridge. As the road on both sides of the bridge is the same width and the footpath is the same size it seems odd that this stop wasn't moved to the far side of the bridge. It would definitely even out the distances between the three stops 515, 516 and 519 so I think the justification for this location is a little weak.

Just before anybody responds I'm not against relocation of stops where necessary but the way this was done was very poor and they left themselves open to the complaints they are getting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

I hadn't even noticed, but you're right, DCC drew the bus location wrong. Facts shouldn't need to be manipulated to back up a point.

The level of abuse I've received for defending this point is beyond me. Personal abusive comments and private messages continuing the abuse and lies. Multiple posters consistently replying with incorrect facts to tell me stop being a lazy princess.

And here is DCC manipulating the document they prepared to justify their poor decision making.

An accurate version:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Cycled into town on this yesterday, it's still a mess after Fairview park, small bits and pieces of it open only, they're really taking their time on that side.

So you end up out on the road at times as the lane is blocked off with barriers and then you are under the gaze of furious motorists wondering why Eamon Ryan spend 100 million on these cycle lanes when we wont even use the bloody things.

Hopefully they get their arses in gear and get the inbound route finished soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

No point using it between Annesley Bridge and Five Lamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

a non-bus-stop post, it's been a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Was this project due to finish by end of 2023?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

While I agree with you on the way things have been handled, I'm not sure what a better final solution would be. All stops inbound are in suitable locations in terms of the space available for a bus stop. Stop 618 obviously should be further out towards Fairview but there isn't really a suitable spot given the narrow footpaths. It has to be a good bit back from Newcomen Bridge and would then be too close to Stop 616.

Two potential solutions, (acknowledging, for the record, that nothing will change):

1) go back in time, consult residents & experts and don't ignore guidelines. Reorder spacing/location of all stops. Consult with Irish Rail and don't remove the stop at Preston Street, the shiny new entrance to Connolly Dart station!

Or

2) reinstate stops in North Strand which can be served by local routes only (6, 8, 10, 21, 22, 58), while the 5x D-Spine and 3x H-Spine routes should skip these stops to speed up service for the suburbs. Apply the same logic to every second stop which are served by numerous local and core routes.

For the record, there is plenty of room for bus stops in North Strand. The road carriage is 21m wide with 46m between junctions. Despite claiming lack of space in their justification document, it's a massive stretch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Completely agree. They have those stupid barriers up every 50 metres just to stop you using them, even though they appear to be fine. Plus, there's been nobody working on them for ages, that I could see anyway.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

you have to show us their version and how its to prove the facts are with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Based on the stops either side, the optimal location for the inbound stop would be on the Clontarf side of Newcomen Bridge but there is a wall there (which I assume was built because of how narrow the footpath is there) so that doesn't work. A new foot bridge was added at Newcomen Bridge because of the limited space on the bridge. You could have the stop before the wall but you are encroaching on the catchment of Stop 616.

And if one of the criteria is an "increase in the population within 400m of bus services", having a stop at the blocks of flats would make sense.

I'm just making some points, I don't think it's as simple as you make out and there are other factors here. And just to reiterate, I don't agree with the process which led to the current situation, even if I don't think the situation is as bad as you seem think.

I fully acknowledge this isn't end of the world stuff. It's just been handled so badly by DCC, then having to defend it here against people who consistently misquote numbers and dismiss legitimate concerns, it's just incredibly frustrating.

I'm fully done with it now. It's not going to change. At this point, I just hope enough fuss has been made, so they won't repeat these mistakes when they upgrade the remaining 230km of bus lanes.

4 pages and counting of pointless back and forth. Classic Boards!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Back & forth like classic Boards? Oh no it's not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The bus stop positioning is exactly what this thread is for. It’s part of the project. Other stops have been moved and are in ok positions such as Fairview inbound, losing two stops but having one in the middle at a good location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The current setup at Fairview outbound beside Brú pub. While it is starting to look good, this paving is going extremely slowly.

They seem to just do bits and pieces each day and then stop. Also along this section, I have counted at least 8 times that it was dug up, covered and then dug up again.

These guys are in no rush to finish the job!

4 pages of arguing about one bus stop? You'd be better off writing to your TD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, it's honestly a bit bizarre. Heard a rumour that they need to get sign off from engineers at various points, and that they're never around, but even if that was true, I can't see how it happens so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I think the work started in May 2022 (From pics I took at the time) and DCC said it would take 2 years, so 8 months left roughly

That being said the progress is very slow and the design is poor at best.

I think It will run over by 6 8 months and then possibly another 6 months of arguments to fix a few bits.

Worst bit it none of the serious core infra issues have been fixed (bar the water pipe)

EDIT: I'm wrong, the work started end of march/beginning of April So 6 months left....

There is NO WAY they'll finish it in 6 months

Post edited by Beta Ray Bill on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

At this point, has all of the pipework been completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I'm "guessing" so. There are no more deep trenches that I can see, but I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I reckon they’re running out of money so can’t afford the manpower needed to finish it on time. Or someone, with control of the purse strings, needs to release another few million. It is the taxpayers money after all. No end to that in some people’s eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I would have thought this was awarded as a GMP contract. The good old days of open ended contracts are long gone for public works thankfully.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭highdef

A very Gloomtastic and pessimistic point of view, based on personal opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That’s me. Let’s just wait and see. We’ve no bloody choice. 😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The works on Amiens Street outbound between Buckingham Street and the Five Lamps are due to finish by early to mid-November.

Advertisement