Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Was I surprised when the referee was calling the VAR mate and vice versa? No

Was I surprised at the self-congratulation of doing a good job? No

It all speaks to the poor culture within PGMOL.

You are at work in a formal situation, you act professionally, you don't refer to each other as mate, you don't self-congratulate, you use formal specific language. What if this had happened?

Ref: There is a question about offside, can I award the goal?

VAR (having examined the footage): The player is clearly onside, check complete, you may award the goal.

There is no need for any other conversation, there is no need for people speaking above one another, there is no need for confusion, keep it formal, keep it clear, keep it specific.

If we don't have that kind of reform, then sooner or later one of them is going to say "fancy a beer later, mate".

More women, more Asians, more people of colour, more recruited from abroad, a new culture, all things needed to improve PGMOL.

All of this has been evident for a while. There is nothing special about Liverpool being on the end of this latest VAR cock-up, the only pity is that they and their supporters are late to the party, though to be fair, they are the loudest complainants so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Was the Curtis Jones red really a “clear and obvious error” that required a VAR intervention? It wasn’t like the ref missed it, he was beside it, saw it in real time, saw contact with the ball, and decided to give a yellow. A 3 game ban for that? Mark my words, every team will tackle like City soon, as in there won’t be any tackling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

In fairness, the use of nicknames was an issue in this case. There was confusion as to whether Oli referred to Michael Oliver or Oli Kohout.

Just asking for officials to use standard titles when referring to someone instead of a name or nickname should be an obvious update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

And here was me thinking that instead saying "check complete", say "award goal" or "offside" was the obvious update.

Well I think they should look at the whole process for language used. Anything that could cause confusion or sound ambiguous should be revised.

One thing that stands out from the audio is the speed in which they’re trying to make these decisions which is all the more reason for absolute clarity in the language used - a split second of misunderstanding can end up causing the whole process to break down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Jones red card appeal rejected. Serve 3 match suspension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

You’re right there.

In rugby, the communication is clear, even when they get things wrong.

Game last weekend in RWC, where scrum collapses and referee awards penalty to Argentina. The scrum occurred over by the side-line, and the Chile complained because they should have got the decision, as the scrum went down on the other side from the ref and was caused by Argentina. The TV commentators saw this and had commented on it. The ref came round to that side of the scrum and said to the Chilean captain that he didn’t expect the linesman on that side of the scrum, a full pitch width away, to be able to see the foul, so “sorry, we play on”. He figured he might have got the call wrong and apologised but couldn’t change his call.

We have so much time added these days, an extra minute here would have saved a world of woe.

These are the other 14 apology scenarios:

Crystal Palace vs Aston Villa (August 2022)         PGMOL apologised to Crystal Palace after referee Andy Madley changed his decision on a Palace penalty after looking at the monitor, despite a handball from Villa defender Lucas Digne.

Chelsea vs West Ham (September 2022)            Jarrod Bowen saw a late equaliser for West Ham ruled out following a foul on Edouard Mendy, with PGMOL apologising for the foul awarding.

Newcastle vs Crystal Palace (September 2022) Joe Willock was deemed to have impeded goalkeeper Vicente Guaita, meaning Newcastle's goal - an own goal by Palace defender Tyrick Mitchell - was ruled out. PGMOL subsequently apologised for the decision.

Man Utd vs Arsenal (September 2022)                 Gabriel Martinelli saw a goal incorrectly ruled out by VAR after Arsenal captain Martin Odegaard was adjudged to have fouled Christian Eriksen. PGMOL apologised for awarding the foul.

Fulham vs Aston Villa (October 2022)                  PGMOL apologised after the referee incorrectly showed Aston Villa midfielder Douglas Luiz a red card for an incident involving Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Nottingham Forest vs Brentford (November 2022)         Brentford were incorrectly awarded a penalty against Nottingham Forest, with it later deemed that goalkeeper Dean Henderson had not fouled Bees attacker Yoann Wissa.

Aston Villa vs Manchester United (November 2022)      Lucas Digne's free kick goal for Aston Villa should have been ruled out, as United's wall was positioned too far back than the requisite 10 yards by the referee.

Brighton vs Liverpool (January 2023)                    PGMOL apologised for showing Liverpool's Fabinho a yellow card, rather than a red card, for a high tackle on Brighton's Evan Ferguson.

Crystal Palace vs Brighton (February 2023)         VAR official John Brooks ruled out Pervis Estupinan a goal for Brighton for offside, but it later emerged that he had drawn the offside lines next to the wrong player and the goal should have stood.

Arsenal vs Brentford (February 2023)        Ivan Toney's goal for Brentford stood after VAR official Lee Mason missed that Bees midfielder Christian Norgaard was in an offside position.

Everton vs Man City (February 2023)        Everton were incorrectly denied a penalty when a handball by City midfielder Rodri wasn't given.

Tottenham vs Brighton (April 2023)           Brighton were not awarded a penalty against Spurs after Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg was deemed not to have fouled Kaoru Mitoma, but PGMOL later apologised for the decision.

Man Utd vs Wolves (August 2023)             Wolves were denied a late penalty when United goalkeeper Andre Onana wiped out Sasa Kalajdzic in the box. PGMOL later sent an apology to Gary O'Neil's side.

For me, the worst 3 are Jarred Bowen, Pervis Estupinan and Luis Diaz, as they all had valid goals disallowed. After that Brentford’s “goal” standing. It’s a lot of f**k ups to be fair.

That's a lot of errors for a supposedly "safety net" to avoid mistakes. I thought Estupinian was the worst till Saturday since offsides had previously been infallible. The rest involved fouls and could always be subjective. Obviously human errors can happen, hence the need for second checks but to completely miss a player and draw the wrong lines was shocking.

Diaz's took it to a whole new level as it wasn't an oversight, just poor communication.

@blanch152 "All of this has been evident for a while. There is nothing special about Liverpool being on the end of this latest VAR cock-up, the only pity is that they and their supporters are late to the party, though to be fair, they are the loudest complainants so far."

I don't think the Liverpool fans got too vocal when Harry Kane tried to cut Andy Robertson in half back in the day

This is what VAR deemed "not a red card" back then.

Perhaps this s**t decision on Sunday was just the last straw. Perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Definitely. I don’t think it will help in the jones situation as I don’t think you can appeal an appeal.

So Liverpool are asking for the game to be replayed? So what does every Liverpool fan here who called me absurd for saying the club want it replayed say? https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/04/jurgen-klopp-calls-for-spurs-liverpool-replay-after-var-error

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

He is winding you up, don't take the bait:)

Like all good articles these days, read the full statement and work it out for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

so after all that, and all the Pool fans saying "of course we're not looking for a replay"... they're looking for a replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You can't replay the game because of a wrong refereeing decision..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Klopp calling for a replay? What an embarrassment!!

Here's the actual quote. "I say this not as manager of Liverpool but as a football person - I think the only outcome should be a replay. Probably will not happen."

So its not Liverpool. That's his personal take.

Personally, I think it won't, and can't happen. The IFAB rule about re-starting games is the only "grey area" that could be modified next Spring, but I doubt there would be any appetite for that, as where would you draw the line for a time allowed for going back in the play?

The fix is inside the VAR booth. I await the next error.

Jaysus Liverpool fans must be scratching their heads after so vehemently saying we wouldn’t be as foolish as asking for a replay and only tinfoil hat people are looking for one. 😂😂😂

Oh so Juergen klopp doesn’t manage or speak for Liverpool now. That’s a new one

Klopp and people at his level in what he does are often steps ahead of people like me with time to post regularly in a forum:)

At a guess, this has nothing to do with a reply as he knows that will never happen but it keeps the heat on the PMGOL and my take is he wants Howard Webb to be accountable.

I have no clue of the articles of association of the PL but if this never to have occurred scenario where a goal was given then not given, realised it was not given but should be given and the ref was not informed breaches some rule/regulation then rather than a replay; a change in process and Howard Webb moving to UAE would probably sort the mess out:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Read the quote. Its in English. Only two of the words have three syllables.

Everyone can speak in a personal capacity.

He's distancing himself from Liverpool football club because the club are looking at all the evidence that they have, and have not made a statement since the one released on Sunday, including "It is clear that the correct application of the laws of the game did not occur, resulting in sporting integrity being undermined." and ""That such failings have already been categorised as 'significant human error' is also unacceptable. Any and all outcomes should be established only by the review and with full transparency. This is vital for the reliability of future decision making as it applies to all clubs with learnings being used to make improvements to processes in order to ensure this kind of situation cannot occur again. In the meantime, we will explore the range of options available, given the clear need for escalation and resolution."

Liverpool haven’t asked for the game to be replayed though? Klopp specifically said it’s his opinion outside of LFC.

No request has gone anywhere, if it did it would be rejected and they’d be laughed out of the room.

People are desperate to claim they have asked for a replay by the looks of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Oh FFS Jurgen...

I love you. I really do. But you're not helping with that, at all.

You can't punish Tottenham for a refereeing team's monumental fúck up. yes, the style of the fúck up was unprecedented, but good Christ, you can't just replay matches that go against you - no matter how robbed we feel. imagine that precedent was set?

The actual only resolution is get referees who are competent. That's it. It's a pain in the backside to be the ones this has happened to, but the point was made - it was a disgraceful performance by the referees, and everything must be done for that to not happen again.

That is all you can do. Shame the FA. Shame the referees. And then hope it helps them get their acts together for the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

This is comedy gold.

Their statement hinted at a deliberate attempt to cheat them and thinly veiled threats to the PL. The insistence on hearing the audio pushed that message even more. Now the manager thinks all precedent should be discarded and the game replayed. And yet, we were told they were pursuing this for the good of football and that they would never look for a replay?

A lot of things get levelled at Liverpool FC. They've all been displayed with bells on this week. How they have conducted themselves since Saturday evening, in pretty much every respect, has been deplorable. No wonder so many of their fans are being ridiculous - the tone is set at the top.

Wonder if Levy will agree to the replay...

From what I read Liverpool are requesting that this is looked at at the end of the season and if the points lost make a difference then to demand a replay. Couple of points, the rules state that incorrect var decisions cannot be appealed and cannot cause a replay. And secondly Liverpool can’t prove that they lost points because of the chalked off goal.

the only thing this really proves is everyone being correct in being scarlet for them.

Ah come on. Not even the most ardent fan can believe this!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

He knows full well it won't be replayed, he's just saying it to keep the focus on the PGMOL.

If/when Liverpool FC request a replay (which they won't), then we can all laugh at them.

Behave. He's the manager of the club, the public face of it, speaking in a press conference where he is representing the club. He can't separate himself from LFC and he hasn't said this by accident. He's been media trained within an inch of his life.

It's embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The season would not finish for 3 years if we had replay every poor decision

Can you please point on where Liverpool have requested that this is looked back on at the end of the season and the match go to a replay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this is correct.

the club have not asked for a replay.

Klopp has just said what he thinks would be right for the 'integrity of the game' in order to keep the pressure on. I don't agree with him on the replay front at all - it's bonkers - but that's all that has happened.

I think when people are passionate about something, they think and talk too much, I certainly do.

My take is Liverpool cannot believe such a mistake could happen, they do not think it should be a case of get on with it, there will be no reply, no points awarded, etc but they will likely ask for Webb to step down, he absolutely will not, at that point they will possibly take it further to force his hand assuming there is some legal aspect that is in favour of the club based on what happened. I have no clue about that and as information on twitter is about 97% false I doubt any of us do but it makes for a good debate.

Siege mentality is what toughens people up and if nothing else I think Klopp will be happy as it will create a really determined insular group of players which is not easily when a lot of subs earn 100K a week - look at Utd, people might say their players are not up to it but I do not buy into that, the difficulty is getting players on insane weekly wages to break down walls - as much as I do not like City, Pep is fantastic at that in terms of his players and how they work off the ball.

It's not the GAA where lesser teams have offered replays based on perceived unfairness due to incorrect scores being awarded. It's a shame, I was thoroughly enjoying the game and would love to see a replay but I would never expect one or think it appropriate for LFC to request one.

well I pointed out they were looking for a replay before and was laughed at.

The legal experts have opined that this is what Liverpool are doing https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/liverpool-spurs-replay-premier-league-27838959.amp

I've bad news for you. There are two teams I dislike (almost equally!), and they both wear red and are massive in Ireland !!

I do however, love football, and I thought it was a s**t decision. I also bet on football, so have a very, very, very keen interest in what I thought VAR would bring, which was an improvement in key decisions. I feel like I may have misplaced my optimism.

If we get improvements from this then happy days. Giving the lads the week off seems like a reward, not a punishment, but there'll be some, deserved, slagging next time they actually referee a game.

That does make sense. Whatever it does, it certainly makes it entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

• Advertisement

You were laughed at correctly because Liverpool football club have not looked for a replay. The article you quoted above is just an opinion column and means absolutely nothing. And who are these "legal experts" they asked? Sure for all we know they could of asked Jimmy down the betting office for his legal advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Theres been far more egregious còck ups that didn't get a replay than a wrong offside call.

Klopp even mentioning replay is insane.

Or Jurgen klopp.

Listen admit that Liverpool are looking for an appeal based on klopps statement. A senior executive of any entity can never step out of their role and speak personally. That’s why so many get sacked for personal comments even when not speaking in the role.

The whole football community is laughing at Liverpool now and even more when saying klopp isn’t speaking for Liverpool.

Or how about you admit you're absolutely desperate for this to be a thing so you can point and laugh at Liverpool.

So you want me to admit to something that hasn't happened just to keep you happy? I only deal in facts,not whataboutry and hearsay

• Advertisement

i don’t need a reason for that. It’s comedy gold since Saturday.

quick question was klopps quote when he was down in the pub having a few pints with his mates or a press conference for Liverpools europa league match?

I’m always happy! This just makes me laugh more.

The whole football world is pointing and laughing at Liverpool at this stage

He’s actually lying at the press conference now. Said Jota was sent off for two yellows despite not touching Udogie once. He touched him on the first booking, perhaps inadvertently, but he touched him. And he should have been booked for an earlier tackle on Bissouma.

What Liverpool fans call “siege mentality”, others have another phrase for it. And Klopp is feeding it with his nonsense today.

They're not really. A few lads on boards who don't like Liverpool are. You seem to be on a driven mission though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement