Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Ah not really. I actually quite like Liverpool. Only a bit of craic. I don’t think klopp should have said what he did but enough enough now. Wish Liverpool luck in their match tonight

Tbf, they've been doing that to Spurs for the last 40 years 😁

It's a joke BTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Seems like a lot of people read a headline, and didn't listen to the full segment.

Klopp said (and I'm paraphrasing in this bit) if he was not 'involved in the game, and that sort of situation happened in a neutral game, as a fan of football he would look for a replay because of the unprecedented nature' where the goal was awarded, but not given on the scoreline. It was not a subjective or technology error and thus not all wrong decisions should be replayed. He specifically made the point to say he was not speaking on behalf of Liverpool in that thinking.

Klopp also said that the game can't be replayed because it opens the floodgates on wrong (subjective) decisions.

Still no need to mention it, but I think there were other reasons behind it really. What they are doing in keeping the attention on the ****-show that the PGMOL have turned into since Webb took over. Liverpool are sick of a lot of weird occurrences in their games and want them taking out of the game. And btw when Webb was head of the refereeing of the US soccer, he ordered a replay of the game because of a referee cock-up with awarding/not-awarding a legitimate goal also.

Liverpool have not asked for a replay, and either did their manager and I don't think they should/will either.

I understand his sentiment, but he was giving a press conference as a Liverpool manager for the europa league. He wasn’t down the pub chatting to his mates. It was iladvised but klopp is shrewd and he got his point across:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Do you not understand the quote? Liverpool are not looking for a replay, Jurgen Klopp, a football person, is looking for a replay.

Sure, as a football person, he has nothing to do with Liverpool, just like all the other football people who are looking for a replay (list is available on the back of a postage stamp).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Part of me thinks Levy would secretly love a home replay too as it'd get him more gate receipts.

It'll never happen though. Time to move on.

You're claiming that Liverpool are making an official appeal now. Where is the actual proof in this, or is another example of you making up claims about Liverpool?

You previously claimed a few days ago, with no proof, that Liverpool owner's demanded a game to be replayed in the US. Which was also proven to be incorrect and then you tried to make up some story about a lad in the Sky Sports studio saying it instead.

Just stop making up lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

exactly, time to focus on the big game this evening; Qatar v Saudi Arabia & a taster of what Wednesday night Middle Eastern Super League will be like once they get their CL up and running in 2025:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Klopp knows what he’s doing, guarantee Liverpool will get every 50:50 call for the rest of the season, VAR official will be petrified to go against them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this is why I wish Klopp has not said 'replay'. Most football fans, I'd bet, if they're honest with themselves, know these things to be true:

Klopp shouldn't have mentioned a replay.

He knows he's not getting one.

He knows the club haven't asked for one.

Fans don't want one.

This is a tactic of his to put pressure on PGMOL, rightly or wrongly.

But what Klopp has needlessly done is make the suggestion of a replay the story. Just keep the story on PGMOL. All he had to say was 'I don't think there would be a replay, even if we wanted one, which we don't, and anyway ... it doesn't really matter, as I'm only concerned with seeing that we have the best referees, and the best implementation of VAR possible. That didn't happen on Saturday. So until we see proof that better systems are put in place, then this will keep going.'

You then keep pressure on without distracting journalists and fans with a pointless tangent.

he can't just say the words PGMOL though, as they will target him (again) with fines and suspensions. He said as much on Saturday.

He has to say something, without saying certain things. As he clearly feels thinks are going against him now the last while. There's been a couple of 'extra-ordinary' incidents since Webb has come in as the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

You're paraphrasing quite a bit there to the point of distorting what he said. BBC aren't reporting it the way you've spun it (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67003386) nor are thisisanfield.com who covered the press conference (https://www.thisisanfield.com/2023/10/live-jurgen-klopps-liverpool-vs-union-sg-press-conference/). He said nothing I can find about "if he wasn't involved in the game and that sort of situation happened in a neutral game".

What he actually said:

"The audio didn't change it at all because I was not really interested in why things happened. I saw the outcome, I saw a goal and it didn't count. I was not waiting for the audio. I think it's really important that we really deal with it in a proper way. All the people involved, onfield ref, fourth official, `VAR, they didn't do that on purpose. Yes, it was a mistake, an obvious mistake. I think there would have been solutions afterwards. As a football person, I think the only outcome should be a replay but it will probably not happen."

He also didn't understand why the word escalate was used in the statement:

"The word escalation didn't come from me. I don't even know what it means. I know what it means but I wouldn't put it in a letter."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Sky Sports have a lot to answer for here.

They spent the morning (someone told me, I was working) saying that TAA and Klopp would be giving a live press conference (incidentally, about a tournament Sky don't cover, so they don't care really). They kept using words like "explosive" and then made sure that they had a reporter in to steer the conversation if it didn't go their way.

Trent buried it quickly enough, but they poked the bear with Jurgen.

Now, my friend has told me(!) its down as BREAKING NEWS on that strap/band that goes along the bottom of the screen. "Jurgen wants replay".

I guess klopp hasn't learned from John Delaney

You've left out an awful lot of what he said, to the extent that you're completely changing what my post is. You've actually ignored all of the quotes associated with my post. I think you should go back and listen to the full interview, instead of jumping on headlines. Do better.

Me: if he was not 'involved in the game, and that sort of situation happened in a neutral game, as a fan of football he would look for a replay because of the unprecedented nature' where the goal was awarded, but not given on the scoreline.

Klopp: “I can say immediately, and probably some people don’t want me to say it, not as a manager of Liverpool so much, more as a football person, I think the only outcome should be a replay.

“I think the situation is that unprecedented that, it didn’t happen before, I’m 56 years old and since 50 years in football and I am absolutely used to, don’t always deal well with it, but I’m used to wrong decisions, difficult decisions. "Something like this never happened, so that is why I think a replay is the right thing to do,"

Me: Klopp also said that the game can't be replayed because it opens the floodgates on wrong (subjective) decisions.

“The argument against that, will probably be if we open that gate, then everybody will ask for it.

"As a football person, I think the only outcome should be a replay but it will probably not happen."

"These things should not happen. Other mistakes should not happen. Find a solution to deal with it."

"If it would happen again, I think a replay would be the right thing to do or the ref brings both coaches together and says OK let's sort it."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Here's the full clip. He does say he thinks there should be a replay. The grey area is whether he meant that comment as a layperson or not. Personally, I think when he's sitting at a press conference as Liverpool manager he doesn't get to pick and choose what comments are from a personal capacity. He's there on official business. He also mentions Jones red card and how he didn't think it was a red, so he was laying it on thick during the presser.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

You made it seem that he was talking about a hypothetical game. He wasn't. He explicitly said he thought the game from Saturday should be replayed. He's tried to distance himself from LFC in that opinion but when you're the manager of the club, decked out in Liverpool gear, at a Liverpool press conference you can't make that separation.

He knew what he was doing.

Of course he is speaking hypothetically.

"If it would happen again, I think a replay would be the right thing to do or the ref brings both coaches together and says OK let's sort it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Jones' red was the same as Casemiro's - both unlucky, actually playing a football, but getting caught out because its a round object.

Letter of the law - they are not getting changed.

I don't know why he went there tbh. unless he was getting at how they used VAR in the match. Unsure.

You're doing it again. Of course the situation is all hypothetical. But you made it seem like he was talking about a hypothetical game:

You said:

" if he was not 'involved in the game, and that sort of situation happened in a neutral game, as a fan of football he would look for a replay because of the unprecedented nature' "

That's not what he said. He specifically said he thought the game from Saturday should be replayed.

You're trying to minimise what he said.

Stop talking sense. Do we even know if it was Jurgen Klopp who was saying it and not a hypothetical man in disguise?

My favourite conspiracy theories, mainly from several posters on RAWK, are that the officials wanted us to win because Man City's owners are clearly paying them.

City are great for wanting to gift us three points. Given the results we've had against them over the years, you have to admire their generosity. They must be closet Spurs fans.

• Advertisement

It's very easy to understand why. He's bundling them together in the hole that the pressure they get out under for one decision helps overrule the other. Got to give him credit, he knows how to play the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Advertisement

I definitely think that klopp used this as a siege mentality to get his team ready for tonight and the next weekend. He is a master at that and fair play.

Tomorrow night.

And yes, all coaches want a siege mentality. Pep does it all the time, for instance. Ferguson did it. Mourinho, obviously. they use things to create a certain mentality. nothing new.

We should all remember that this wasn't Klopp demanding a replay. As I've said, I wouldn't have even mentioned the word, because it's pointless and gets everyone jumping on it. He just said he'd like to see one. He shouldn't have said it, but it is not the same.

So let's not pretend that Klopp was in a press conference ranting and raving, as I know many are imagining.

He wasn't ranting and raving but don't minimise what he said. He said that he thinks the only outcome should be a replay.

Yes, I skipped a day by accident. i think you hit the nail on the head. Shouldn’t have said it. Had a reason for saying it. Whether it works or not is to be seen. But you are completely right, he wasn’t having a Kevin keegan ‘I’d love it ‘ moment. He did say it though, and have to expect laughter from opposition fans. Probably not to the same extent as seen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My guess is City don't worry about Spurs bar twice a year. They don't compete for the trophies that City do so they are irrelevant to them in the main. Probably similar for lots of clubs bar two 0r three.

Probably not. But we'd hardly be their favourite club in the world given how we seem to beat them every season at our place and now and again at theirs. I'd say if they were trying to fix a game, it wouldn't involve us unless we were the screwees.

And let's be fair, none of the teams in the PL are really competing with City. They don't need to fix games to win trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Escalation is just basic problem solving language used across most industries. Not too surprising for Klopp not know of it in that context though, in his second language.

When you ask to speak to a manager, that's escalation. When you call tech support and the lower tier person can't help, they escalate you to Tier 2. When you're put through to customer service, that's escalation.

Escalation just means raising the issue up through the levels to whoever can help you find a resolution (which was their next line in the statement). Resolution means a solution to fix the problem, or a new workflow to prevent the problem in the future.

I do get the feeling a whole bunch of people have somehow (intentionally or unintentionally) misinterpreted those words though.

"Don't minimise what he said"

In other words...

"Let us make as big a deal out of this as we possibly can, because if we can make a massive deal out of this, even more than has been already, then it might have everyone laugh at Liverpool, because that's how I get my kicks..."

Not everyone is out to get Liverpool as some of you stronger types seem to feel. It's actually bordering on trump levels with some of you. Any level of objectivity goes out the window with your opinion once Liverpool are involved.

Of course not everyone is, and indeed most people are rational reasonable folks, but it's quite easy to see the few people who do have an extra bit of revelry in the subject through the sheer posting volume and content on the topic (and their own stated admissions of how much they're enjoying this...)

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd say Darren English is very happy everyone's talking about Klopp today.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Nope, like I said, he wasn’t ranting and raving. I’ve never tried to say he was because that would be misrepresenting what he said and how he said it.

But he didn’t “just say he’d like to see a replay.” He said he thought that should be the only outcome.

While also clearly setting out that that was his fan opinion, specifically not an opinion of the club or from him as a representative of the club, and something he had zero expectation of happening.

If we're going to listen to what he said, we should listen and pay attention to all of what he said, surely? Stated caveats and qualifiers are important, and in this case clearly crucial to the point he's making.

Business is full of wanky phrases like that though. Football doesn’t need it and you don’t see that sort of language very often from clubs. There was an air of threat about it and when coupled with the “sporting integrity has been compromised “ phrase, it fed into a belief amongst elements of the Liverpool fanbase that “we’ve been screwed and we’re gonna bring this as far as we can.” I also think Klopp understands English well enough to understand the phrase and its usage. It was just a poor statement.

Let’s be fair. They issued it early on Sunday I think. You have to give PGMOL time to understand what happened and take action to correct which I fully believe they would have anyway. So a statement expressing disappointment with the events of Saturday, welcoming the admission of an error and “we’ll monitor developments” would have been better. If nothing happened after a few days, that would have been the time to go harder.

Ive not tried to misrepresent him at all. This is what Jurgen Klopp, whether as an individual or Liverpool manager, said. I’ve never said the club wanted a replay, just Jurgen Klopp which is what his quotes say. He knows he’s not getting it, the quotes also say that, but Jurgen Klopp said he believed it should be the only outcome.

I also don’t buy this separation of Klopp the individual and the manager. He’s sitting at Liverpool FC, draped in Liverpool gear, giving a press conference about a Liverpool game in his capacity as Liverpool manager. Anything he says will be attributed to Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp.

It was strong, but clear language. Again as I said before, I have zero issue with that statement, and to be honest using established industry terms is actually part of the solution in this case.

Like, I think using terms like escalate/resolve - being the literal industry standard terms for fixing problems - is far better than using "less wanky" more casual terms. Casual language is how we got into this mess. This isn't an emotive plea or something, it's a request for review and validation of a technical process.

As for the reference of sporting integrity, well, of course an error where officials know the correct outcome, but knowingly continue with the wrong outcome falls under the category - hence such a need for reform.

As for your second post - so in contrast to earlier saying; "don't minimise what he said", you're saying "don't minimise the bits I want to focus on, but ignore the other bits that were said to intentionally minimise the bits i want to focus on?". Klopp regularly gives his personal opinions on everything from racism to Brexit during press conferences. he always caveats that with it being his own opinion and not speaking on the club. He did the same in this case, literally stating it clearly so there could be no confusion. I don't particularly have a problem with him thinking in an ideal world the fairest thing is a do-over, while recognising it could never happen in reality. I don't exactly agree with it, but I don't have an issue with the opinion, stated as it was. I definitely don't want any official request for one.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the statement.

Ive never said that Klopp spoke in his capacity as Liverpool manager or that he or the club was requesting a replay. Im pointing out that he said he thought a replay should be the only outcome. Those were his words and they are not taken out of context.

Whatever capacity he thinks he’s saying it in does not really matter. That’s just optics. Jurgen Klopp believes that a replay should be the only outcome here even if he knows it’s not going to happen. And that opinion is, in my view, absolutely ridiculous.

That's fair enough - I wouldn't really agree with either yourself or Klopp on it I suppose. I don't think it's an entirely ridiculous personal opinion, but it definitely wouldn't be my opinion, and I don't think it's actually the right outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Xander10

He is being briefed by John Delaney apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

His name is Darren England so not sure if the other fella you mention is too bothered:)

This is an issue of process and not towards an individual; the mistake was hard to fathom until you hear the audio. However, if that is how they manage these decisions then it is not hard to see how mistakes could happen again, it was like he was annoyed to be disturbed from something else and was just ya, ya, whatever it is fine.

The standard of referees in the PL is very average so there should be more openings for change be that from abroad or within England but it seems once you get the gig then often you keep the role regardless of your performance. This must be disheartening for other referees in the lower divisions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement