Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,984 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'll eat my hat if they announce a pact.

There would be open revolt in FF IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Mainly by SF supporters. However, within a year of SF and FF people will just regard them as SFFF and blame them for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I really can't see a SF/FF government as SF do not do compromise - we see that in the North.

I expect after the election that SF will be the biggest party, Varadkar will say that the people have spoken and that FG are going into opposition. FF will topple Martin and elect a new leader who will sit down with Sinn Fein. After 3/4 months it will become clear that a deal is impossible and FG will be asked to step back up to the plate. Hopefully the Greens will have enough seats to be in the mix for government, that would be so good for the country.

Mainly by SF supporters.

That looks like the mid 30%'s.

There are votes there that FF want back and could win back, but not as a practically merged with FG party.

It's up to them really. But I cannot see any pacts announced with FG.

I think they will subtly open the door to a coalition with SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I would never ever trust the SF.

However I would expect that they would capture a very large audience of younger voters, especially those in their 30ies who are unable to afford or buy property.

I would understand for those in their 30ies to vote for SF, but I would never ever expect SF to be able to solve the housing crisis in the country.

FF doesn't seem to care if there is a housing crisis, FG, maybe but SF does.

• Advertisement

FF will be kingmakers. They have 3 options in my opinion:

1) Go back in to government with FG and some others.

2) C&S with SF.

3) Go into government with SF and be their shitguard.

I think the best option for FF would be 1 or 2. I think 3 would be a bad option. SF have really only ever shown negativity and an inability to work with others. It would be crazy to go in with them and take the blame when things are inevitably a bit harder to resolve than has been made out.

SF cares about whatever they think people want to hear. Are you old enough to remember them complaining about the EU stealing all our fish? Or that we were giving away hundreds of billions in gas for free? None of which are much concern anymore. Housing is just the current thing. If anything changes with respect to housing when the get in, it will be more social housing, less first time buyers IMO.

We are talking about politics here and Irish politics.

I don't see and have never seen an opposition party behaving differently. There is nothing unique about a political party on this island ever - telling people what they want to hear.

If you are going to discuss politics seriously, you need to cut through that and discuss what they can deliver.

I mean, you can do what you just did with any party here: Are you old enough to remember when FG/FF/ The greens etc were against -------------- fill in the gaps

Not really, I would say SF are pretty unique in being really on the wrong side of pretty much every major policy. Until very recently (pre the big scrub of the website after the start of the Ukraine war) anti-EU and pro-Russia. I am sure you remember the "EU stealing our fish" being a big deal? Also all the gas being given away for free? These "issues" have just disappeared have they?

FF might be dumb enough to go into government with SF, but I think there will be resistance to it. A far better option would the C&S agreement. It would allow FF to give SF full ownership of all the problems, there would be no one else to blame. The electorate have show they don't really have a long memory and they don't like excuses (the GFC or Covid are not really accepted as excuses for FG).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The problem I have is how would the Irish economy do under a SF government?

I can't ever see SF politics being atractive to investment. Their solution is about more regulation and higher taxes.

• Advertisement

I remember SF being anti-EU like FG FF were anti marriage and women's rights .

What is your point?

Neither parties FF or FG were shy about cozying up to Russia if there was a gain in it for them.

Again, what is your point? All political parties here evolve.

It's clearly not just the electorate that don't have long memories.

FF took a fair bit of damage for their last C&S stint and it began the 'FFFG' era.

I guess it will be a case of which wing of the party wins out if it doesn't fracture apart.

There were no other large pro Putin/anti NATO type parties immediately before the Ukraine war. My point is that the housing crisis is very convenient for SF. Their other "ideas" didn't get any traction. Their main policy, a United Ireland, is way down the list of priorities for most voters in ROI. So they needed something else. Anyway, I am nearly hoping they get enough to form some sort of agreement with FF now. It will be great to hear David "up the ra" Cullinane try to defend his performance managing the health service. He is one of their top performers!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What are you talking about?: SF have been watering down their policies for years in preparation for going into government in the Republic

They are absolutely up for a pragmatic deal with FF if the numbers are not there for their favoured Left government.

Well let's hear the current incumbent in Health defend his stint. Can anyone perform worse I would ask.

And my goodness, an opposition party making capital on a crisis!...how 'unique' again and the very thought of that, what's the country coming to. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Kieran Cuddihy just did a quick comparison of the SF alternative budget and as he said there is very little difference between what we have heard is coming in the budget and SFs alternative.

Also recently I saw an article about EOBs housing plan which seems quite similar to the current government one...his big plan is to build more, if only it was that easy ...

SF no longer as radical as they claim.

Yes, I would say someone could perform worse, at the very least we can say David Cullinane has awful judgement. I am no fan of Stephen Donnelly, he is the same type of spoofer as Eoin O'Broin, says he has all the answers but no actual experience delivering anything.

The other advantage of a C&S government is that Sinn Fein would have to find 30 TDs capable of filling senior and junior minister portfolios. They would be lucky to reach 3 competent ones. You would probably find a reduction to 10 of junior ministers being painted as reform rather than sheer desperation at not being able to find someone capable of talking coherently about a policy.

If they did manage to find 15 untried, untested and largely inexperienced and incapable Ministers, the government would collapse within six months as one after another was fired for incompetence at the behest of FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Kieran Cuddihy just did a quick comparison of the SF alternative budget and it's quite similar to what we have been told is coming in the budget.

I also recently read EOBs housing plan which seems quite similar to current government policy, the big plan is to build more...if only it was that easy...

SF claim to be radical but are becoming less so as time goes on...

Any other party would have dropped David Cullinane after his "celebrations". Instead he gets to be health spokesperson during a global pandemic, such is their level of depth. I am really starting to think it is best for FF to just say, the people have spoken and they seem to want a SF government, so let them have it, they will provide C&S.

Just seen their 2024 Budget alternative.

Some of it is laughable. They propose to reduce the ED and injury unit costs to €50, and this is their words, "in line with GP costs".

On what planet are they living that you can get a GP visit in Dublin for €50 in 2023? Not only that, but there are no measures to increase capacity of EDs and injury units!!!

Next, they are abolishing car parking charges at hospitals. Way to go with free parking for my commute! And great news for the climate action!!

Better still they can build 1800 new beds for €213m!! Who dreamed that one up? Look at the cost of commercial building!!

If this was an election manifesto, they would be laughed out of town.

• Advertisement

Their election manifesto is slowly morphing into just "it's our turn".

I really don't agree with the mortgage interest relief. That is a really dumb idea. Many of the people with the largest increases were paying practically no interest for the last decade. They are also the wealthiest groups, certainly a bad use of resources.

When you are potentially entering power for the first time invariably it is likely you will not have 'delivered' anything as a Minister in an Irish government.

Is that the point you think it is?

I see no evidence that there are any shadow health TD's who would be worse than Donnelly or in housing for that matter tbh.

Absolutely, a really dumb idea, but populist and the current government may even take up it or something similar.

Once you are on the property ladder, you aren't poor, you aren't homeless, you aren't in social housing, you aren't stuck in the private rental market.

Well you might be slightly biased since you spend all day posting on boards about SF. EOB is a similar type of character to Donnelly IMO, has the educational background but no real world experience, so basically a new grad level. Both have a huge opinion of their abilities, based on really nothing at all. Anyway, I am just glad I am not relying on them to actually solve anything.

Donnelly is actually a prototype for a Sinn Fein Minister, came from nowhere, no political experience, didn't come up through the established parties and knowing how the system works, floundering as a result. Shane Ross would be another good example.

Would expect 80% of SF ministers to end up as competent as both of them. If that is 80% of 15, the government is in trouble.

?? Who are you relying on?

And, I will judge SF after they are in power.

What I am doing now is assessing are they fit for power.

Looking at the incumbents and what they have and have not delivered, the answer is yes, they are. Like any government since the formation of the state they will get some things right and other things wrong. Some will be good ministers and some won't.

I rely on myself. I have found that the best course of action, since waiting for someone else to do something for me has never ended well.

?? Not sure of the relevance on a politics forum. But work away.

• Advertisement

The only way you can judge that SF are better, it is by concluding that things cannot get any worse. Given the economic growth, our place in the ranks of countries to live in etc., that plainly is not the case. Things could get a lot worse, an awful lot worse, there is no reason why Ireland should be wealthier and better than Portugal or Cyprus, other remote peripheral regions of Europe. We are better, but we could revert to that norm.

So other than we are different and better, SF will have to offer more.

Advertisement