Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Are the Verisure ads from mainland Europe? I swear I've heard UK accents in the UK and Irish accents on the Irish TV channels. Both dubbed for the local market?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Im sure you've noticed the McDonald's ads for their annual Monopoly promotion. I bought a wrap as you do occasionally and idly 'played' the game on the app while munching. I won one Monopoly card of the Airport, collect the set etc, whatever, it could be next year before I buy another. I also won a free months subscription to Lionsgate+ streaming. Fair enough, watch a few movies, then cancel. You get a code in an email to activate it, which leads to this;

It doesn't work even though you can install the Lionsgate app on your smart TV. What a F##ing joke of a promotion! I would have preferred a free hash brown anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,081 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Complain to McDonalds

I've got 20 off for Currys 120 spend if anyone wants

• Registered Users Posts: 82,237 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The new RSA ad about the first road death in the world being an Irish woman, without any facts we have to ask whoy...

was she on the sherry?

did she wrap the car around a pole at 75?

was she having a drag race with another car?

did she have slicks on the car?

Comments turned off on the ad to be sure nobody is allowed ask a sensible question...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

She's even got a Wikipedia page. Seems she fell out on a turn.

Vision Zero. Well with a name like that they're on a hiding to nothing, that's the only zero they'll achieve. They RSA are like King Canute trying to order the tide back. They have Zero Vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Stupid Taoiseach of the sea…Seaseach…and the stupid smug giggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,081 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The new McDonalds breakfast ad, at least I think it is new

A curious pitch side ad during one of last nights Carabao Cup third round matches. "Carabao Energy Drink" it loudly proclaimed, then the banner scrolled to proclaim "Only 63 Calories!". Thats only enough to keep you playing football, or digging the garden, for 4 minutes, then you're our of gas.

This attempt to associate a product with high energy consumption athletic activity while at the same time appealing to dieting obsessed calorie counters is hypocrisy. Slurping this stuff all day sitting on your arse won't make you thin, but slurping a can for your breakfast won't sustain work of a physical nature for ten minutes before you faint. They even have a sugar free one with only 4 Calories, but still labelled as an 'Energy Drink'. You'd burn that taking the can out of your kit bag. Mixed messages if ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

A byproduct of the shoehorning of as many black people into Irish commercials as possible, the young black lad in the Hi Vis and hard hat in the deli scene in that Vodafone rugby ad is the first time I've ever seen a black person in either a Hi Vis or a hard hat.

Surprised they didn't have a random black person standing awkwardly beside Paul O'Connell for no reason in that ad with the grape and carrot playing rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

You've never seen a black construction worker? You want to get out more

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Vodafone ad with the thirty year old girl with the Princess Leia haircut dragging her father to a concert. Why does a 30 year old need to be chaperoned to a concert?

Your supposed to think she's 15, the naff hair is supposed to be a teeny thing. She's 15 alright. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I have no idea what it's advertising but just a few seconds of someone sing about having kids multiplying to the tune of "The One That I Want"

There's an RTE ad for a new Farmer dating show, hosted by Anne Geary. On one snippet, in a restaurant, the potential partner says to the farmer that she'd "love to have two Donkeys". I couldn't help thinking she meant to give birth to them, as an alternative to children. It sort of comes across that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

It's not even a 'farmer' dating show (it's based on the 'Farmer wants a Wife' show, the format has been used in other countries) but instead of focusing on Farmers, or people involved in the agricultural industry, it's people who are rural.

And then they just shoved Anna Geary in it (guess who her agent is?). It was recorded a while ago, so probably filmed before she had the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭Xander10

The Sure Deodorant and with Lauren James(English Women's football).

She daintily moves between a few cones and then lies of the ground exhausted. 🙄

On constantly on Sky Sports.

But ladies don't sweat, they just 'glisten'. Jane Fonda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Technically speaking I'm not sure the steam powered contraption she was riding on would come under what we would regard today as a "car", it was probably like a steam roller. The first fatality from a petrol powered automobile was another Irish woman, Bridget Driscoll in London in 1896. I remember an 80s edition of Man Alive, BBC documentary series that had a dramatised recreation of the accident that killed her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Bridget_Driscoll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭squonk

I hate the RTE rugby ad with some a-hole droning on about how great the team are. That fella needs to get out more. As is he’d clear a pub in no time with his droning personalities voice. You certainly wouldn’t want to get cornered by him on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Someone in Vodafone thought an ad with badly played violin was a good idea.

Electric Ireland are pushing for energy conservation by having an auld wan have her house lit up like the Kish Lighthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭YellowLead

When will the poonami adverts ever die…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

That Domino pizza one is weird, quite violent in a subliminal way

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Boylesports trying to be arty.

F*ck off you parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭pgj2015

"YES MOM", that advert, the mother keeps asking her questions and the daughter keeps saying yes mom in a really annoying voice. I dont even know what the advert is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭pgj2015

That Rugby advert. the guy booked flights home after the final in 2019 because hes an ejit. very similar people in the advert, posh Dubs, no lads from the flats in Dublin, or boggers from up a mountain in Kerry. Yet they are the "team of us" apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

'Team of Us' reminds me of the 'we're all in this together' spiel RTE were peddling during the pay corruption scandal.

(whatever is it about calling people boggers- it's an insult from 20 years ago).

You won't find ANY working class, blue collar voices in these adverts. Many of these actors have 'subsidy' to help them pay the bills, thesubsidy being 'rich parents'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Scrabbel

It's actually a United Nations initiative, not an invention of the RSA. They just have to promote it in Ireland.

Advertisement