Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Well he's been stopped (for want of a better word) from taking charge of any Liverpool games for the rest of the season, so there's that.

Referees often get 'demoted' from PL duty for a week after a high profile error. He's been taken off a team for the whole season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So clubs can now have a say in who takes charge of their games?

Thats not problematic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I haven't seen anything anywhere saying that decision was from the club having a say, but rather the PGMOL curtailing the absolutely guaranteed deluge of stories and unwanted distractions that would happen if he were assigned to another Liverpool match.

Interesting tidbit from the end of that article though, that there is a precedent of changing a goal ruling after play has restarted - happened at the last world cup, which i'd totally forgotten;

"Nevertheless there is a precedent - a France goal was disallowed retrospectively at the World Cup finals in Qatar, switched from goal to ‘no goal’ for offside even after opponents Tunisia had kicked off again.

The goal was an equaliser from Antoine Griezmann in the 98th minute of the final group game that ultimately ended 1-0 to Tunisia. The referee stopped the game on the advice of the Var to reverse the decision. Fifa’s disciplinary committee subsequently dismissed a complaint by the French Football Federation."

Since when have they? Or are you just trying to infer that Liverpool are now? Or how did you come to that conclusion from the article? It never mentions that clubs, or one in particular are.

The official in question is the centre point of an unprecedented error. Its not a subjective thing. It's not 'one of those' or 'just another example '.

Just on the bit of him not getting any more Liverpool games this season I don't think they should have announced it even if it's what they decided is best for everyone including the official.

It kinda implies some bias was involved when it was incompetence, surely if he isn't able to ref Liverpool games he shouldn't be reffing any premier league games or if it is a punishment surely 5, 10 weeks ban would be better. Not the correct decision for me anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Why do people think this is the worst incident ever to happen in VAR? It was a breakdown in communication rather than an actual completely incorrect decision. I’d be more bothered with an incident that they looked at, where it’s clear as day that it was a goal but chalked off as opposed to this incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What I can't understand is that once they were aware of the mistake and the ref on the field was aware of the mistake why they couldn't just award the goal and re-start the match again?

Surely that would have nipped a good deal of the aggro in the bud?

What was the particular reason why that was never considered as an option.

Great news. Although it's hardly a punishment. He shouid be sent to the SPL or the LOI for a year

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Tricky offside in the Newcastle game, imagine that in the PL, there was 2 non subjective calls to sort out and also a handball in one incident, they would have run out of the VAR room in a panic!!!

The rules state that once play has restarted then you can’t retrospectively go back.

A lot of people have commented in numerous forums regarding a penalty kick after the final whistle in a match. But in that case the match hadn’t been restarted (ie the ref blew the final whistle while the bat were reviewing) and then var awarded the penalty as there had been no restart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That is exactly what it was. It was a clear goal that was chalked off because by the sounds of it the only person paying attention on the VAR room was the video operator lol

But it wasn’t as if they made a completely incorrect decision, it was just they didn’t communicate it correctly.

I think a way worse decision was when they drew the lines on the wrong person to chalk off a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

So you can't retrospectively go back once the check has completed and play has restarted.

But you can retrospectively go back if the check is ongoing while play is continuing, even if a greater period of time in the game has passed?

Because there have been incidents in games where play will continue for longer than it did the period of the VAR check on the Diaz goal - but it will be eventually restarted again if something is awarded.

If those are the rules, well then I guess they're the rules, but, it seems crazy to me that when a decision is as clearly wrong as it was in that instance - and the error had been recognised -that there's no option for a restart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So missing a goal the object of the game is okay, yes drawing lines on the wrong player is also bad but that is up to the video ref to make sure he has looked at the full picture before confirming. This is a complete failure of the whole system which is worse.

It’s different (and terrible) but not worse. I think VAR incorrectly making a decision and nobody correcting them is at least the same if not worse. (Hypothetically speaking 😂😂)

I believe that is correct. And the rule is completely arbitrary. I suppose to stop reviewing decisions after restarts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Why should other clubs have to accept him as a ref if he isn't good enough for Liverpool?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Could it be potentially for his own safety as opposed to his ability?

It's already been mentioned a few times that during the World Cup a goal given to France against Tunisia was rescinded upon review even after the game had restarted. France appealed, and were rejected. So the precedent is there that you can indeed restart play and quickly halt the game to fix the error.

People have always made bad judgement calls in the moment, whereas a fundamental structural failing is a different thing - and knowing the correct call, but knowingly continuing with the wrong call (especially when that call is the actual scoreline of the match) is a different thing.

The most similar one was the Sheffield United one, where their perfectly good goal was chalked off because the watch never beeped -- VAR was there, with a camera angle showing it was a goal, and never interceded. That was an absolute travesty of a one as well.

• Advertisement

wow, I had never heard of that but read the analysis here https://www.football365.com/news/france-demand-fifa-overturn-defeat-tunisia-referee-broke-rules

to be fair the decision taken was wrong not the rule.

Its a fcucking sh1t show to be honest.

Ya that's what I'm getting at like if he isn't fit for the job he shouldn't be reffing on the league at all.

What they have done doesn't make much sense to me

If that was the case or a case where he didn't feel mentally up to doing Liverpool games they shouldn't have announced it and just quietly taken him away, and most would barely would notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

For some reason these 2 VAR lads are getting paid loads of money to go out and ref in Abu Dhabi. Why? Because they are very good????? Do people understand lobbying and soft power?

Yeah, so France's appeal being rejected, upholding the refs decision to pull it back for the correct result, sets the precedent that this can be done, or is at least a viable possibility. In this instance the VAR didn't even have the common sense to notify the ref of the error though.

Not assigning him to any more Liverpool matches makes total sense to me - it would just be a massive story and overshadow the game, and the last thing the PGMOL will want is to make refs be the main story before a weekend even kicks off - but they should've probably just done it instead of announcing it. Simply don't assign him to Liverpool matches, without the declaration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Agh Jurgen, look what you've started on boards (well restarted, thread was dying).

He can be too honest sometimes, it's why I love him.

There's so much click bait headlines from managers interviews these past few years. You see a big claim in a headline, then read the article and go wtf? How did they get that headline out of a whole press conference.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

But VAR can really only go by the rules (i know that sounds ridiculous in the current situation) rather than a one off incorrect interpretation of the rules.

Did they notify the ref at any stage after the event? I thought it was alleged that they did and the ref was about to blow his whistle but then didn’t. I could be wrong on that?

Do you think Liverpool are considering raising that World Cup incident in a bid for restitution?

Well, they broke the core fundamental rule of football officiating (correctly keeping score). The only way to rectify that massive massive breach and chief purpose of their existence, was to break a much smaller rule. Common sense dictates that's the obvious thing to do, just as it dictated it was the right thing to do in the France Tunisia game - which of course was officially vindicated upon investigation by FIFA.

I think everyone can probably all agree that had they stopped it after 7 seconds and fixed the error, that the outcome would have been better.

The official position of the PGMOL is that they did not tell the ref at any point, that the ref discovered himself at half time.

And no, I don't think the France Tunisia thing can really be used for restitution - there can't be any restitution - it just shows further that the lad on VAR moronically chanting "i can't do anything" over and over maybe could've thought outside the box a little bit, or at very least informed his boss on the field as the VAR had done in that game.

(I'd also have kinda expected that someone within this specific industry and role would've known all about the France situation, seeing as it was only a few months ago, and thought about it as a solution, but i'm probably giving these lads too much credit there)

• Advertisement

I think this article is an excellent explanation of the real reason for using the word replay in his press conference. Not for this game to be replayed but as a watershed moment to change the rules regarding incorrect var decisions. In a way the replay would be an appalling vista so why not allow the decision to be overruled/overturned during the match.

I’m not sure if it was the best way of doing it and he even admitted he would be ridiculed for it but it definitely got people discussing it.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/klopp-liverpool-tottenham-var-offside-31107339

The restitution is a change to the wording of VAR to be more clear and concise. As has been said for a long time, it's needed and this should be the only time something like this happens. One team loses out and that's it.

Yeah he should be gone from all games really.

To play devil's advocate here, maybe Liverpool pushed to have the VAR official, England, be removed from the league overall as it's the biggest error one can make while a VAR official and he is the 'PGMOL poster-boy' according to that Telegraph report. It's possible that as a reply to that, the PGMOL said we can't do that so we'll just take him off your games instead. Which is messy.

Lee Mason was sacked as a VAR official after his error in that Brentford -Arsenal game that many keep mentioning. Maybe Arsenal pushed for that last season? I don't know if they did but Mason was sacked because of that incident.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Delighted Klopp mentioned a replay, just to see everyone here completely losing their reason 🤣

Us against the world, pressure on officialdom, it's time tested and trusted. Keep it up Jurgen, I'll get my spittle visor on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

I haven't read anything that would make me believe that FIFA vindicated the referee for going against the rules in the France Tunisia game.

All we know is that they rejected the appeal.

We also know that the appeal was frivolous in nature given France finished top of their group regardless.

Most likely FIFA said let's move on nothing to see here rather than any vindication of the referee for going against the laws of the game.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story?id=37634594&_slug_=fifa-dismisses-frances-protest-antoine-griezmanns-disallowed-goal-vs-tunisia

It has taken FIFA's disciplinary committee five days to issue a response, with a short statement dismissing the appeal.

It read: "The FIFA Disciplinary Committee has dismissed the protest submitted by the French Football Association in relation to the Tunisia v. France FIFA World Cup match played on Nov. 30."

No further information was offered.

That judgment is enough. There was a small rule breach to rectify a far larger rule breach. The team that rightly lost out lodged an official complaint, which was dismissed. As this is the only prior event of this occurrence, it is the only known precedent from which to work. It is logical to follow that if the same decision was made, and an appeal was lodged (which I really doubt Spurs would do anyway), that the same ruling would be reached.

My point is that France didn't lose out and its logical that the appeal was dismissed solely for that reason. There was no reason or benefit to uphold the appeal. You're claiming the referee was vindicated but have offered nothing to back that up.

• Advertisement

The broader context is entirely irrelevent. That's not how judgements on specific incidents are conducted. They appealed a specific decision by the referee, and had that appeal dismissed.

As for 'vindication', i suppose the word is open to interpretation. But the fact is the ref made a decision, that decision was appealed against, with the appeal dismissed, and the ref was not in any way sanctioned. That to me indicates they sided with his interpretation and actions in the situation.

I understand your train of thought but I don’t know what your conclusion is. The rule wasn’t changed and what happened in the French match did not happen in the Spurs match.

Until the rule is changed (which may happen) that one incident is not relevant. Well apart from a playbook that VAR could have attempted to use at the time. But he froze.

And of course we'll never know what would have happened if the ref had been informed, and given the opportunity to apply common sense. Maybe it would have gone the same way, maybe not. But there is a precedent we can look towards which may at least guide our thinking on what could have possibly occurred (and as we know with law and arbitration, existing precedents do have a habit of guiding future decision making).

Though i really doubt Spurs would ever have complained anyway - the game states were very different, with an hour left to play. I'm sure had the ref had a word with Ange and Klopp, and explained the situation, they'd have all got on with it for the next hour.

Care to show how its irrelevant?

To win an appeal you'd have to show a decision negatively affects you. The result of the France Tunisia game had no impact on how the group finished.

Do you really think FIFA were going to overturn a result at a world cup five days after the event illiciting negative headlines for an outcome that wouldn't have benefited anyone? It may have been different if Denmark/Australia had needed Tunisia to lose to go through.

The only thing England did right on Saturday was to not try to get the referee to stop the game.

No, to win an appeal you have to show the action taken was wrong. The broader context is irrelevant. They appealed a specific decision and had that appeal of that specific decision dismissed. If you rob a hundred quid off someone who only has a hundred quid, it impacts them far more than if you rob a hundred quid off someone who is a billionaire. But the action is the same, and will be judged the same way.

And again, even beyond dismissing the appeal, they did not punish or sanction the referee who made the decision, or the VAR official who recommended it.

• Advertisement

So can point to where these rules are written down? How to win an appeal etc

Because it's literally how all law works. It's the entire basis behind that wee statue you see in courthouses with the blindfold and scales. It's basic common sense here.

Can you perhaps point towards where specific decisions being appealed are not actually judged on those specific decisions, but rather how big the impact is of those decisions? Like, by your rationale, no appeal will ever be won unless it changes the end result, regardless how right or wrong it is.

Just as I thought. Nothing concrete to back up your opinion.

Well, mine is rooted in all established law. Yours is rooted in fantasy.

I don't know how better to explain that when you appeal a decision, that appeal is about that decision. If that appeal is dismissed, it is because that decision was judged to be ok.

And again, if there were a problem we'd have seen the ref and VAR official punished. They weren't.

You're taking 2+2 and getting 5 from the France Tunisia game because it suits you that it could have been a precedent for the Liverpool goal standing the other night despite it being against all established laws of the game. That's the only fantasy here.

We're going around in mad deranged circles here. It's a precedent because a different version of the same situation playing out. A goal decision was incorrectly judged, just like in the Liverpool game. It was discovered to have been an error after play had resumed, just like in the Liverpool game. But there, the VAR and ref stepped in and fixed the error. There was a specific appeal against that specific decision, which was dismissed. And no ref or VAR was ever sanctioned or punished for their decision. Ergo, it is reasonable to suspect that had similar actions unfolded similarly, we may have had similar outcomes.

That's as far as I can go on this before I lose my mind I think 😅

We don't know on what grounds the appeal was dismissed. That's my whole point. All we know from FIFA is the one line sentence I quoted earlier.

"The FIFA Disciplinary Committee has dismissed the protest submitted by the French Football Association in relation to the Tunisia v. France FIFA World Cup match played on Nov. 30"

In other words you are just surmising.

Anyway per your last line we'll agree to disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

If FIFA decided the referee was correct to call back the game and award the goal in the French game outside of the rules, can you explain why they haven't changed the rules to make it the correct course of action?

Would it be because they still think it was the wrong course of action?

No idea - it's quite the mixed messaging. On the one hand dismissing the French appeal, and not punishing or sanctioning the ref who made the decision, or declaring that what happened was wrong, are all clear indications that they were happy enough with the refs ad hoc solution. But on the other hand not going the extra step towards changing the law suggests they had reservations. Could perhaps be a bit of what we have in actual law all the time, like Roe V Wade being protected by precedent for decades, without ever being protected by law (which eventually became its undoing). Maybe by not condemning the action, but not changing the law, they stop the possibility of frivolous appeals to go back plaguing matches, while maintaining the option of just letting it go if the need is clear, as they did with the Tunisia game. Who knows.

I doubt they'll ever come out and tell us, so we can only guess. Hopefully they take that extra step now, or find some other solution so the path and outcome can be more certain for everyone involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

So many clubs taking pish out of then now even European clubs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement