Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Thought Shine went down readily, but Mullen can have no complaints, there was a strike with the hurl and he was on a yellow, stupid carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

I thought the boro tried to be over physical and done a lot of pulling and dragging.If they had concentrated on hurling things may have worked out differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Did anyone see the draw for the Camogie championship? 😣

Done live on FB in a kitchen using cake tins ....... 😲 😏

Seriously .............................................................................................. 🤔

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

I thought Cillian Buckley hurled well overall, was a bit of a link man between defense and Attack and won some hard ball at times. Wouldn't say Harry Shine was awful other day either. Got some decent scores but he's definitely not near Senior Inter County Panel either obviously, He like a few other players around his age has to have a very big year with Kilkenny u20's next year for all the talent is at that age grade for us. This year in that was nowhere near good enough being bet by an average Wexford side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I agree with your post, clearly you're weren't wearing blinkers watching this very entertaining match. In Harry Shine's defence, I understand he's been plagued with various injuries and having very little luck in that regard, right through this season too.p I believe his ongoing injuries will hinder his prospects of ever lining out for Kilkenny. However, his priority would be to get a clear run, free from injury, with his club. The county scene is far down his own goal at present.

If he could progress from what was a good display from him on Sunday, he'd be a great asset to his club. He deserves all the luck he can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I'm really wondering where all this "Boro were useless", "usual bottlers" stuff is coming from? It takes two teams to produce a great game and the Boro played their part in that, lets see how the others do in the next few weeks and how good that games are. Was it a good time to meet Ballyhale? As good as any I suppose, they were down 5 top players who would all start if they were around or fit. Does that mean their a walk over and that a team doing well in the league should beat them? Not in my opinion.

Lets have a bit of a reality check here, at best the Boro stood a chance of beating a depleted Ballyhale, the 5 times county champions and 3 out of the last 4 All Ireland champions. Ballyhale have 3 of the best forwards in the country not just the county and they have in TJ what I would call the best hurler I've ever seen. They know how to win these games, I'm sure they loved all the BS going around that they were finished and there for the taking and they couldn't do it without Ronan, Brian, Darren and the two Joey's.

The Boro on the otherside are a young team whether some like to admit it or not. From the starting team,

they had 6 players, aged 22 or younger

they had 5 between 23-27

and 4 at 28 or over.

The reason the Boro are often said to be a young team because it's the truth we have lots of young talent coming through regularly and if an older player isn't doing it, he often losses his place to younger lads and then they drift away. The Boro always has struggled to create a diehard attitude where the club comes first, as it does in most country parishes and even our city rivals are far better at that than us. These are not excuses they're realities and when I look at the performance last Sunday I was incredibly proud of our lads. If they can stay together and drive on I think they can start to win at senior. Ballyhale tried to bury them with goals at the start of the game we stood up to it. They tried to physically bully the Boro because for some reason people think the Boro lads are soft, they showed on Sunday, they didn't take a backward step. Unfortunately what they also showed was their inexperience against the most experienced club side in the country. Yet there was only a puck of the ball between them at the end.

Someone said with the Boro's underage titles that they should be pushing on thats a crock of shite. They won 4 minors 2019 to 2022 so the eldest of those lads are 21 maybe 22 many are still only 18. The only other team in the history of the county to do 4 minors in a row was Éire Og (city team) who won in 1934,35,36,37 they didn't win a Senior until 1939 and didn't win another until 1944,45 and 47. Underage success doesn't guarantee senior success it gives you a great chance if you can bring a lot of those players forward.

The Boro won senior in 2017 our 5th ever title and Ballyhale have dominated since winning 5 in a row. The Boro can and hopefully will add a lot more to our tally as these minor winners progress in their careers but nothing is guaranteed. I also don't know who was promoting Shine, Clifford and Moore as county men, they all have potential but their all young and have more hurling in front of them than behind them and to be writing anyone off at 21 or younger is just really immature or thick.

I was incredibly disappointed we lost that game but on reflection and letting the dust settle (I also had different expectations before the game) I'm actually very proud and optimistic for the future. Some are just happy to just always knock, I'm more a half glass full man personally maybe to my own detriment and disappointment but I prefer to have a positive outlook in life than always looking for the negative. I'm a realist too and that's why only ever saw the Boro as having a chance of beating Ballyhale on Sunday (never as favourites in any capacity) and they nearly did but they're lack of experience cost them.

Best of luck to Ballyhale going forward and to all who face them. I can't see them being beat except if they pick up a few injuries to key players. I'm not sure how they'll go on an AI run (if they get out of KK) with the panel as tight as it is but if anyone can it's them.

Can't argue with that. Well composed, honest and realistic.

I'm still waiting on opinions on Village match but as I posted earlier, not very many Village on here saw it as it wasn't on television.

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭hogans heroes

Like a scene from father ted,whole thing has been poorly run.

If you quote the post, it makes it easier to know what you are talking about...

(i know you are on about the draw)....

Fair enough👍.draw for the camogie 1/4 finals should have been done after the tullaroan v thomastown game when the teams who progressed were known just like in the hurlng on sunday.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

It's a constant though. From fixtures and formats being changed to a draw from a biscuit tin to the bullying of individuals from outside the clique the whole thing is a complete shitshow. Needs an instant clear out. Our camogie players and clubs deserve much better than this self serving rubbish

Totally agree, how you can change a draw a week out from championship is not on.then no open draws in the 1st 2 rounds and the biscuit tin caps it all off.players , mgnt and all involved deserve better, have stated already this format should never happen again and draws should be done with club reps invited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

The Boro can take some solace from one of their own playing such a key role in the Ballyhale back room. Although given the chap was effectively sidelined by the club, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

I'm not sure where you are getting that all the talent is at the group of under 20s. They are a very over rated bunch. We have played Wexford the last two years and I believe that even though we beat them in 22, Wexford had the better hurlers. Seen some of this year's under 20s play adult hurling this summer and they have been very average. Even at junior hurling level.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 upnorth

Average age of Boro starting 15 was 24.8 years. Shamrocks starting 15 was 25.4 years. Both round to 25

Peter Chap Cleere named as new Senior Camogie manager.

A 1 year deal initially.

I judge that theres very little interest amongst the hurling brigade in here for camogie, so i started a thread for that kinda chat ....

Not a lot of interest in club hurling either, other than the Boro!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jdaniels

Absolutely shocking carry on by everyone in the county board to let this happen. Who suffers, the club player. I can see a lot of club players, mentors from every age group (because this is not isolated to adult fixture issues) and committee members being lost after the **** show that was this year.

• Advertisement

I wasn't comparing the Boro's average age to Ballyhales, it was to show the relative inexperience of the Boro's players. Even the most inexperienced Ballyhale starters have at least 1 county senior and 1 All Ireland club medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

I know the semi finals are yet to be played, but was there any indication of what date the Senior county final would be played?

Is there intermediate final on before it in Nowlan park the same day or stand alone fixture?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Well said I had to listen to a lot of **** talk Sunday night mostly by village men let’s see how they get on against the shamrocks the next day. I thought the Boro lads put in a good plans just came up short. Manager fault more than the players. And as the ladt man said the future looks bright for the Boro.

You should stop hanging around in Village pubs 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

To be fair you would wonder about the tactics, working the ball out from the back is all well and good but it's pitting your backs against probably the best club forwards in the country, when ballyhales back line was the weak spot. Think there was something to be said for going more direct, especially once they were ahead, to keep the pressure on. But like, ballyhale regardless of age are a very experienced team and they're used to being in tight situations. Psychologically they just had what it takes to grind it out when it's not going well. Boro will learn a lot from it.

I'm not in Ireland so not getting to see matches at all but am I right that o loughlins might be the team to overturn them? Would be a good battle between their backs and shamrocks forwards anyway

For some reason I fancy the Bridge to take OLG their just coming good at the right time and the OLG's forwards are still an issue. It'll be a titanic battle between the OLG backs and the Bridge forwards but I just fancy the way the Bridge are going. In the other game you'd have to fancy Ballyhale after the Village display last weekend. Shamrocks and the Village can take on a life of it's own but I'd be amazed if the Shamrocks don't win this one with a bit to spare. The Village just don't have enough quality around the park to compete in saying that if Ballyhale aren't switched on or get an injury or two then they'll find it very tough. I expect a Bridge and Ballyhale finally but it could be an all town final.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

I couldn't disagree more. I think the right thing to do in that situation( 3 pts up with 4/5 mins left and playing against 14 men) is workm the ball around more and more, to make the pitch as big as possible. Everyone knows how the Shamrocks play, dropping deep. This gave the Boro loads of room to play theball over and back if necessary. They just seemed to be under pressure hitting every ball especially the longer it went on. To me the equalizing pt (20-1.17) sums this up. Bhale PO...long and direct down on top of 7 boro and 5Bhale players. Boro win it clean and you'd think with the 5 Bhale frwd all within 5m of the Boro player, it would be the perfect opportunity to run the ball. No, the Boro player elects to strike long and direct but gets blocked. Bhale win the ball and Colin pts. The Boro obviously have worked on the short game a lot over the year but when they needed it most, it left them down. I do think the players would need to look at themselves first and foremost. I don't think they showed enough energy around the backline and Bhale definitely outworked them down the home straight.

Plus , they needed to be able to defend better.

Lessons to be learned for them but how many years have we been saying that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

A lot might not agree with me, but I am going to call Bennettsbridge to win the county SHC.

Advertisement