Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of garden furniture is best?

Options
  • 07-04-2019 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hoping to buy a set of chairs and table for patio soon but I’m a bit lost on the best type to get. What material wears well and would not have too much upkeep? It seems like rattan is very popular but is it hard to keep clean? Any risk of that green algae type stuff growing in it?

Otherwise, what’s your experience of wooden outdoor furniture ? My experience is it tends to break eventually but maybe that’s down to our own poor upkeep.

We are open to anything really ( including Aluminium types) but just hoping for something that will last . What would people recommend getting (or not getting)? Thanks all!

Comments

My experience is plastic is the way to go. You know those 'sun lounger/deck chair' chairs you see in almost every shop this time of year for 20-30€ each? I've had two of those in my garden for 3 years now and they quite literally look brand new. Like I only bought them last week.

My brothers powder coated steel table and chairs is a big old rust bucket after 2 years. My wooden table/chairs needed a bit of upkeep in terms of repainting/staining them, and tightening up all the bolts each year. I got 3 years out of my wooden furniture before the splits in the wood and cracks, along with the thoughts of spending time putting another coat of paint on it put me off it (albeit, Cuprinol is a good paint, nonetheless).

So I opted for lazy plastic. I'll aim the pressure washer at it once a year I'd say, but the plastic table/chairs are only in the garden about a month now so hard to tell how they'll get on, though it stands to reason they shouldn't wear any differently to my 3 year old plastic deck chairs.

Never had rattan furniture outside.

Worth pointing out that Im the kinda chap that couldn't be bothered covering furniture for the 'off season', so maybe your wooden or powder coated stuff will last longer if you spend a bit more time being proactive with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Plastic will stand up to the weather.
    A more attractive and more expensive alternative is pressure treated timber.
    No need to paint and a power wash once a year will keep it looking good.
    If you can put it way in the winter all the better.

https://www.abbeylawn.net/garden-furniture/picnic-benches/

(no connection to this company just picked them at random for illustration)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Hardwood is the way to go. Will last you a lifetime. No repainting or staining to do.

Prices in Ireland will be dear. I found this site here great value, just get shipped in on a pallet (Google pallet trade network) https://www.cyan-teak-furniture.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Lidl has a load on sale this Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Black powder coated aluminium or cast iron.

Lasts forever, never needs cleaning, looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭cobham

Think of weight.... my metal framed chairs take off in high winds and get damaged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on what your storage options are, i suspect. we've a hardwood set and it's stored in the garage over the winter, but i've had to sand it (lightly) at least once and oil it once a year. if it was stored outside permanently, i suspect it would not have lasted this long.

cobham wrote: »
    Think of weight.... my metal framed chairs take off in high winds and get damaged.

Are they all metal or do they have fabric bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look up rattan furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

This site I mentioned for the teak also do rattan. Worth comparing the prices to Irish prices (even with cost of shipping on a pallet) https://www.cyan-teak-furniture.com/rattan-garden-furniture-wicker-garden-furniture-all-weather-furniture

• Advertisement

Thread from last year with some links and pics.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057880551

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭cobham

Lumen wrote: »
    Are they all metal or do they have fabric bits?
    Metal frames with plastic mesh seating. With wind damage metal has scraped on patio now showing rust also whacked flowers. OK if stacked in advance of storm. A friend keeps his tethered☺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I can't tell you how good value it is but I can say a neighbour has a very similar set (identical to the one at the top of the furniture page of keter.com website) and its been outside now for about 4-5 years and looks as good as new. Obviously they store the cushions inside during the winter. I suspect the advantage of the keter ones is that there is no steel in them so nothing to rust?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

Aluminium last ages, powder coated steel will rust in second year. We got teak first year now so will see but Im not bothering with oiling, it should last years without it, its used on boats sprayed with salt water everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

We bought cheap wooden furniture from both aldis and from Homebase. Aldi’s furniture outlasted Homebase’s by years.

Ratten is nice but if the legs are also ratten they can unravel.

Regardless of what you get keep it in from the elements overwinter if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I did this to my bench with a blow torch. Apparently it gives extra protection 🤔

I also put a cover over it for winter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Depends on the expected use .

If it is outdoor lounge style then the rattan , but you have to care for it and its accessories from the elements.

I have precast concrete sets. Tables ,benches round and rectangular. Repainted one two years ago . Still looks newly painted. No issues with wind/rain damage with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

Those very cheap plastic chairs can become brittle if left out in the sun too much (think it's to do with UV damage?) and have seen them just shatter when someone's sat on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have a rattan set for the last 5yrs and it is still in excellent condition. As others have mentions, check for a good quality frame, galvanized or powder coated is a must IMO. Mine is quite a large round table and 6 chairs and it really has stood the test of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

This stuff is expensive, but you will not have to buy furniture ever again and it will keep its looks.

It is made from re-cycled plastic, and is an Irish company designing and manufacturing. It is the sort of furniture that councils are putting in parks and on beaches. The finish in terms colours has developed considerably in recent years to give an array of options

Worth considering if you want something that you can leave out and will not have to maintain in your lifetime.

I have no connection with this company, I have seen their products and was impressed with the quality (and weight).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The benches and some of the chairs look very unstable with the narrow base - I had a wooden version of one of those straight benches (with the foot the same width as the seat) fall over onto my foot when someone stood up and pushed it back, how I didn't get a broken toe I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Look carefully and you'll see the seats are connected to the benches so they can't fall over. I had to look twice to notice it.

I have some fence posts that I think are from the same guys, the posts seem indestructible but time will tell.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Anything that you bring inside once the fine weather is gone.

All that lovely Chinese plastic and cheap stuff you see at the local co op will be gone in a few years if you leave it outside for too long. Its all a money racket, big container loads of it come in from Shenzhen, people leave it outside to deteriorate and then they rush back to the shop a few years later for brand new equally **** quality stuff so they can leave it rot outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thecovercompanyuk
    The Cover Company UK

The best garden furniture is ultimately determined by your specific requirements and tastes. Teak or aluminum furniture is good for longevity and classic beauty. Consider cushioned choices like wicker or rattan if adaptability and comfort are important. Foldable or modular parts provide flexibility in smaller settings. Furthermore, weather-resistant materials such as aluminum or synthetic resin are appropriate for outdoor use. Finally, prioritize quality and select furniture that compliments the aesthetics of your outdoor environment. Remember to buy protective covers, such as those from The Cover Company UK, to extend the life of your outdoor furniture, regardless of the material.

Advertisement