Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

The junction makes a difference but it’s also impossible to deal with the traffic issues at peak times without a significant shift to public transport.

We should be building a tramline to Carrigaline and Ballincollig etc but that’s practically sci-fi in Ireland and it seems we just won’t ever invest in that kind of thing, but the alternative is just clogged roads because the physical capacity just isn’t feasible.

There isn’t really any way of solving the south ring because the choke points aren’t expandable and the traffic has to go somewhere. It isn’t going around Cork City, that is ultimately the destination of 90% of it. It’s a distributor road feeding the city and various hubs of activity all around it, despite the TII imagination that it’s somehow a bypass of Cork or that the M50 is a bypass of Dublin. They’re both feeding large numbers of local terminal destinations for most drivers from a large hinterland that’s totally car dependent.

Until you start seeing high capacity public transportation, it’s just not going to improve.

We’re also going to be pouring more traffic into the Bloomfield interchange, with a short motorway to Carrigaline and with that town growing almost exponentially, without any investment in transit infrastructure other than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

I think everybody on this thread at one stage or another called out Bloomfield West as a major problem pre and post Dunettle works, in fairness to all the road nerds on here.

I had a driver merge from Rochestown here this morning who was literally stopped in the hatched area, pull into the left lane and force her way into the right lane.

People merging from Rochestown need to be filtered into 1 lane and these orange yokes need to be added all the way up to the top of the merging lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They used to have those, but they were demolished pretty quickly.

I'd be all for the short extra lane required from Bloomfield through to where Douglas West merges. That would give 3 lanes from Bloomfield to Sarsfield road. Great, but then the offramps at Kinsale Road, Sarsfield Road and Bandon Road would all back up every morning.

There is just too much traffic coming from the east and looking to access Cork via the South. There really is no solution to this - the south of Cork City will never be able to cope with the demand. The railway does help, but the onward links from Kent Station are atrocious. Its still bananas that the premier east-west bus line for Cork city, the 208, doesn't go via the train station but north of it up a set of very dodgy steps. Or the 214 which goes on an adventure around Togher. Busconnects will help but we need to stop with the public consolution. Plan it, one public consultation, any minor adjustments and then build it. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

People were on here 6 months actively arguing against the case that Dunkettle being free flow would lead to more queuing at the Douglas Flyover.

In a similar vein, people in other threads claimed that the opening of the Sarsfield and Bandon Road roundabout flyovers wouldn’t cause any queuing on the Douglas Flyover eastbound. It of course result in new queues there on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

And the solution to the Douglas flyovers pinch point is...?

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I don't recall that and have been calling it out as being a major issue for a long time on this thread.

A multifaceted approach.

1. North Ring Road
    2. A move to public transport.

I would have widening the current flyover as the least desirable option. The other option I’ve noted is to stack the lanes on top of each other instead of widening it. Would likely cause outcry.

I'm afraid I completely disagree that such a scheme "shouldn't be overly expensive or disruptive". The works area would affect:

• a busy local road which is the only vehicular access point to the shopping centre car park and delivery yard
    • a section of the N40 carrying ~70k vehicles per day
    • the Tramore river

Some sort of cantilevered structure extending out from the existing line of the N40 would be more visually appealing and much less disruptive to local traffic and the river during construction, but it would probably be even more expensive (if it's even possible at all) and more disruptive to the N40 traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

An unanswered question is how much of the westbound traffic joining the N40 from the N28 Jct.9 (M28 in the future) is exiting the N40 at the next exit (Jct. 6). If the volume turns out to be such that it justifies joining the two junctions by a third lane, then that is the solution to the existing pinch point and the queues it regularly causes.

An official vehicle count, using ANPR technology, is the first step to scientifically proving the need.

• Advertisement

How viable would it be to go double decking on the Douglas Flyover. Have eastbound lanes on level 1 and westbound lanes on level 2.

This would likely give 4 lanes in each direction without the need to widen the flyover. Be interesting to know if something like this has been built elsewhere. Assume it must have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The former Embarcadero Freeway in San Francisco. A supremely ugly piece of infrastructure.

The problem with stacking is that you have to have long "unstacking" structures afterwards. Double decking N40 is crazy talk,as it would cost a bomb and need the existing road to close for long periods.

We'd get a hell of a bus network for the cost of any online widening of N40 here, and that's where the money should be spent to fix the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

I don't see any extra capacity happening at the Douglas flyover in the medium term to be honest, however you try to add the lanes.

The most likely solution to the issue seems to be reducing demand.

The problem is how to reduce demand on what is effectively a distributor road, and many of these options will be very unpalatable to many people.

You could look at multi point tolling, if you joined at douglas west and got off again at kinsale road to head into town and it involved at 2 euro toll, could you imagine the outrage?

You could look at entry and exit point removal, no exits for non primary routes, so mahon, all douglas, togher, kinsale road and frankfield road removed from the kinsale roundabout, sarsfield and bishopstown roads access limited. There would be riots, I'd imagine.

The north ring and better public transport, as has been mentioned, yes would help. The north ring however is many years away and busconnects has been watered down to near uselessness so again, not much coming there.

In a way i'm just saying, there are solutions but I just don't see any real movement on any of these solutions.

I don't know is my only answer after rambling on for a while, the douglas flyover and the n40 is going to be an issue that I don't see being resolved any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

It's not just the Douglas flyover. On days where that's 'not too bad', there are still massive queues going from N25W to N40 (and N8) which clear once you hit the tunnel - the problem being that funneling all that traffic down to one lane through the tunnel just isn't working, and I don't see how that can be solved whilst maintaining free flow short of adding another bore to the tunnel.

On the topic of Douglas, it seems to me that the pinch point is mainly the N28 merge at Rochestown - traffic is usually speeding up once you approach the flyover itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

I've said it a few times here. I am 99.9% certain that footings were put in when Tesco was done to facilitate a third Westbound lane. I remember reading it. Does anyone else recall that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It is, its that merging slip that is the problem, but its the Douglas Flyover that is the impediment to easily whacking a cheap third lane (or a slip road that heads to Kinsale Road) in there.

I don't recall hearing anything about footings being put in for a third lane, but that was before my time.

Just bear in mind that when the M28 is built these westbound jamups will get a LOT worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

It looks like they completed the final concrete pour on the central part of the N25W to M8N bridge last night and this morning. I hope they’re going to remove the barrier wall between the N25/N40 to M8N movements to aid visibility when they’re done. It could be a bit hairy otherwise!

Resurfacing on link roads from N25W & Little Island tonight too.

Just five months to go to completion and there’s much to do on the southern side to bring the approaches to the “bridge to nowhere” up to the required levels once they’re done with using it for access to the middle of the site…

I believe the current bridge in construction is so wide to allow the barriers to be removed to aid visibility for merging.

Almost certainly urban myth. New sheet piling was driven at the time and I expect somebody saw that, verbalised their fantasy on a bar stool somewhere, and then the Chinese whispers took over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBGOryiqZZI

To widen the Douglas flyover would be effectively to create a tunnel at the Douglas Village Shopping Centre and quite a way across Douglas with a big overhang into the village. It wouldn't look great tbh - the existing structure is not ideally what you'd want going through a residential area in the first place. It's basically an elevated motorway/dual carriageway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

I would say most. I’d argue a lot of the South Ring traffic are people from Douglas wanting to access the City Centre, Mahon, Wilton and maybe Bishopstown and wanting to avoid the Douglas, South Douglas and Well Roads, i.e. local city commuting traffic. That’s why to me the Southern Distributor is needed. However, I don’t think it should be on Rochestown Road. I think it should be from Garryduff Road, over the N28 to Donnybrook, then west to the N27, and then to Sarsfield Road. This allows people to access the City Centre via the N27 and Wilton & Bishopstown via Sarsfield Road. That just leaves Mahon traffic, which isn’t an issue as there is already a lane from Maryborough Hill to Mahon without having to merge and it is usually quiet

Read it in a paper at the time. How factual it was is another matter entirely!!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭pauly58

This is exactly how it started in England decades ago now, as a previous poster said, it's the sheer volume of traffic. The roads are completely jammed over there now.

Spoke to a colleague in work. Commute to work takes circa 15 minutes by car - occasionally shorter. To get from home to work by bus is 55 minutes minimum. So it's great to say public transport is the answer for the N40 - but until realities like that are addressed then traffic is going to keep getting worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

That's quite amazing for a commute via N40 if it's accurate (people do tend to underestimate driving times, though). But there will always be journeys that are quicker by car and no bus service would ever improve on that, and that's okay. The point of public transport investment is to tackle the "quicker by car" journeys that still take a stupidly long time..

It's because a bus version of the journey implies 2 buses - one to get to the city centre and the other to get to the destination which is not city centre. The N40 option, via the tunnel, is direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

and unless the bus frequency is significantly increased you could easily have a half hour wait in between 'connecting' busses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's no different in Dublin. Public transport works if you're on a high frequency route and only going from A-B. Anything more complex than that and it's a mess of lost time and frustration.

About the only advantage Cork has in public transport terms is the Park and Ride - but it doesn't operate on Sundays (when people would generally be out and about). It's an idea that should be expanded and replicated not just in Cork but every main junction on the M50 and elsewhere.

As someone who uses it quite a bit when I'm down it's a great service, but limited by their own lack of ambition - and union pushback to changes no doubt!

Another crash at Bloomfield this morning bringing the whole road network around the interchange to a standstill.

Traffic backed up towards Carrigtwohill, Carrigaline and well up the M8.

Something needs to be done about that merge point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's very bad out there:

Advertisement