Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There was a man killed by a bicycle once, but that doesn't mean that cars and trucks are as safe as bicycles for pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

Maybe we should wait until these very nice XL Bully Dogs eat at least 10 more small children, before we set about banning them.

Grown men hospitalised should count as a strike.

Sorted ..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Your only hear about the attacks of these dogs on humans. Go on twitter or Reddit and they are savaging other dogs daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Thank you for calling me silly again. I'm well aware that not all dog breeds are the same. As much as I'm aware that dog breeds doesn't have personalities, individual dogs do..

Genetics play the role as well, of course, but upbringing, environment, socialization, good training, feeding, vet care, understanding the needs of the breed people have etc.. are the most important factors.

Basic acknowledgment tells me that some dogs ends up in wrong hands and people get hurt. And that applies through all breeds here. And yes, I know some breeds, thanks to the size and build can potentially deliver significant damage.

You know what ban as many dog breeds as you want in Ireland, but without proper change when it comes to dog breeding, dog ownership, education etc. It won't change a thing. It will make it even worse.

Bye, your Silly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Search for 'XL bullies' on twitter, one of the first things that will come up is a video of a large man rendered absolutely helpless as two of these yokes savage him, while two other large blokes try with no success to get them off him, including battering them over the heads with big lumps of wood. The dogs don't even flinch, and they certainly don't loosen their grip on the poor bastard (who eventually died, btw).

It should be mandatory viewing for anyone claiming that everything is fine and nothing can be done or should be done. It's absolutely terrifying.

Get rid of all these **** things.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

The poor man,, 54 years of age,, Had his throat ripped out ..

What a horrible way to die.

It's time to call an end to this madness..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

We had the most gentlest harmless Westie for 16 years. Why would it seem logical to muzzle her? She was on her lead almost always (where there was traffic) and hadn't a cross bone in her body. We have our spaniel, currently 2years old, and while mad as they can be is very well behaved and a gentle dog who just wants to walk in Pak et or play with her ball in our garden.

We look after our dog and train her. It's not too much to ask that others so the same but while the.qorld has scummy people who can't raise their kids Proper or behave properly themselves, I'd be a.fool.to expect them to raise their dog properly either.

To me there are no bad dogs, just useless waste of space scummy humans.

• Advertisement

Man has his throat ripped out by dogs that absolutely aren't dangerous, nope, not at all. Could just as easily have been a pair of corgis or a trio of disobedient gerbils.

Can't wait to see what the appropriate hilarious Monty Python clip is for this one.

From the article you've posted..

"There is no scientific consensus that particular breeds are more likely to act aggressively than others," Carri Westgarth, the chair in Human-Animal Interaction at the University of Liverpool in the U.K., told Newsweek. "Dogs of all breeds are represented in the dog bite records and we know there is wide variation in behavior between individuals within a breed. There are also genetic tendencies towards aggression within particular breeding lines, so with any breed, breeding for good temperament is vitally important. Other factors such as socialization, training methods, and health, are significant for a dog's risk of aggression."

The reason that breeds like XL bullies are associated with increased numbers of deadly attacks is because of their size: these larger dogs are more likely to cause significant injury in the event of an attack.

"The announcement of a ban raises many questions that must be considered," Westgarth said. "Key to the ban is the statement about looking into defining the XL bully breed before it can be banned—however, proving a dog's particular breed is difficult, especially when that breed is not recognized by most kennel clubs, and looks similar to other breeds. This has complicated the application of the current legislation concerning pitbull types, and likely will again with XL bullies, which are also just one size type of the American bully."

"It also raises the question whether banning a single breed will encourage those who want to own such a type of dog [to] turn to owning and breeding other types, as happened with the development of the American bully after pitbulls were banned," she said. "Overall, experts, including anti-bully groups, agree that if dog bites are to be effectively reduced, much more intervention and legislation [is] needed than simply banning one breed."

Many animal groups in the U.K. agree with this sentiment, including the Dog Control Coalition, which includes a number of organizations such as the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, The Kennel Club and the British Veterinary Association.

"The recent incidents are deeply distressing and our thoughts are with all those involved and affected," a spokesperson from the Dog Control Coalition told Newsweek regarding the attack in Greenwich and other incidents, some fatal, involving American bullies.

"The biggest priority for everyone involved is to protect the public—but banning the breed will sadly not stop these types of incidents recurring. For 32 years, the Dangerous Dogs Act has focused on banning types of dog and yet has coincided with an increase in dog bites and the recent deaths show that this approach isn't working. The U.K. Government must tackle the root issue by dealing with the unscrupulous breeders, who are putting profit before welfare, and the irresponsible owners whose dogs are dangerously out of control," the spokesperson said.

"It is also critical that any policy designed to protect public safety is based on robust evidence and we are deeply concerned about the lack of data behind this decision and its potential to prevent dog bites," they said.

Surprise surprise. Dog breeding industry says "our thoughts are with all those involved and affected" while at the same time proposing to do absolutely nothing about the problem and arguing against restrictions on their industry.

It is exactly the same as the gun lobby in the USA. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

NRA is a good comparison all right.

Regarding the XL I can’t understand the attraction for owners other than it makes them feel hard, I wouldn’t trust one of them not to turn on me and then it’s game over

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Buachillsalach

Anyone continuing to defend these yolks or making ridiculous comparisons to traffic accidents and so forth needs to ask themselves some questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Had the unfortunate pleasure of having to walk past one at a local Chinese to collect my food the other day, two absolute scrote scum standing there with it. The thing went for the food bag for a second, I'm sure the responsible dog loving owners would have intervened if anything happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I don't care what they are doing over in the UK. Let's look at our EU neighbours and take our cues from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

A powerful dog is a weapon, same as a gun. Many people are allowed to have guns, after an appropriate background check and licensing.

A good point. What is being said by Westgarth is that it is not enough to ban certain breeds, that further intervention and legislation is needed. I would agree with that. Not just banning the breeds, but ban anyone in possession of one from ever owning another dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭rogber

Another case this week: female jogger in Austria mauled to death by some vicious basta*d of a dog with a female owner who thought she could control it.

Put down the dogs, imprison the owners.

• Advertisement

And hospitalized the owner in the process, in case anyone thinks these f**king things are actually capable of loyalty or obedience.

This was a Staffordshire terrier btw, another abomination of a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Had one of them when I was a kid. Parents told to put it down after it killed another pet.

Why don't you tell us the whole story of what happened.. I know you've posted it here before, but new posters probably didn't bother to go through the thread from the start. You know, just to show them why was a dog needlessly put down. And don't forget to add that part about blooding..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Quitelife

I see one of our local drug runners in our village walking around with one of these American Bully Dogs last weekend , calling to a parents house looking for cocaine debts their 17 year old son owe his traveller drug boss.

All part of living in County Limerick in 2023

She said and I quote "f dog bites are to be effectively reduced, much more intervention and legislation [is] needed than simply banning one breed"

So she is calling for further measures beyond just banning breeds. I have no problem with that.

For example, there should be a general ban on large dogs in urban areas, there simply isn't enough space in 99% of gardens for large breeds to roam freely and happily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

He's doing it wrong. I think it would be a lot scarier if the drug dealer showed up with a pug or a bichon frise.

It goes on to quote others who represent dog owners, not really interested in what they have to say.

Still think banning all large dogs in urban areas is the way to go. Fairly simple to implement that.

There is no scientific consensus that particular breeds are more likely to act aggressively than others," Carri Westgarth, the chair in Human-Animal Interaction at the University of Liverpool in the U.K., told Newsweek. "Dogs of all breeds are represented in the dog bite records and we know there is wide variation in behavior between individuals within a breed. There are also genetic tendencies towards aggression within particular breeding lines, so with any breed, breeding for good temperament is vitally important. Other factors such as socialization, training methods, and health, are significant for a dog's risk of aggression."

The reason that breeds like XL bullies are associated with increased numbers of deadly attacks is because of their size: these larger dogs are more likely to cause significant injury in the event of an attack.

"The announcement of a ban raises many questions that must be considered," Westgarth said. "Key to the ban is the statement about looking into defining the XL bully breed before it can be banned—however, proving a dog's particular breed is difficult, especially when that breed is not recognized by most kennel clubs, and looks similar to other breeds. This has complicated the application of the current legislation concerning pitbull types, and likely will again with XL bullies, which are also just one size type of the American bully."

"It also raises the question whether banning a single breed will encourage those who want to own such a type of dog [to] turn to owning and breeding other types, as happened with the development of the American bully after pitbulls were banned," she said. "Overall, experts, including anti-bully groups, agree that if dog bites are to be effectively reduced, much more intervention and legislation [is] needed than simply banning one breed."

Westgarths quote.

As for the size of the garden. The bigger the better of course, for any breed. But again not important really..

• Advertisement

Pretty much backs my idea of banning larger dogs too.

Advertisement