Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The question will be what will FIFA do if we do refuse to play Russian teams,it would be interesting to see how many Russian teams Irish teams have played against in junior tournaments , I think the senior international team have played Russia less than 8 times ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

This is the number one thing hampering Ukrainian logistics and advances. The only way to stop this is sending more patriots and western fighter jets with long range air to air missile's.

Ukraine may have a bit of an artillery advantage but Russia has a massive air superiority advantage.

Also look how many airstrikes they've conducted around Kherson where there's no real risk either side advances. This is why Ukraine probed around here. It's drawn some of the Russian fire power away from where it's needed.

Click on the tweet and have a look at the other images and details he included. Some decent insights.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,424 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

FIFA can't make a team play another team. It's u17s here. FIFA don't realise the message they're sending to all the countries that are abhorred by this ongoing Russian military action and genocide. FIFA is concerned about Russian funding to FIFA.

Correct course of action by Ireland. It'd make you proud to live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,392 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You have to convince US Republicans of that. As it stands they'd love nothing more than to hand the war over to Putin. Without their obstruction, missile defense systems can show up by the end of the month. And more.

However they see much more in common with the Anti-LGBTQ co-kompromat Russian counterparts these days then they did middle easterners in the War on Terror.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

It is mad as you could probably say there were hundreds of deaths/injuries on the Ukrainian side from these airstrikes in the month of September. Possibly 1 per airstrike? I know a lot would miss but some airstrikes would hit multiple of people. Not a nice thought what so ever.

• Advertisement

This has been the biggest issue since the start,we know that there's a shortage of everything now ,when you get senior NATO officials saying we're approaching the bottom of the barrel this isn't something to take lightly,there is no infinite supply of equipment and weapons in NATO and yes someone Will counter with neither does Russia, but Russia is still physically occupying large parts of Ukraine, despite having no men , tanks, artillery and barrels,money they are still holding ground,

A few f16s won't change anything in the bigger picture,they have mig 29s and with air 2 air weapons,but Russia holds and advantage in air defences even with a few f16s they won't be able to achieve air superiority, one Ukrainian commander wanted something like 160 f16s they will be eventually get something like 50 sometime in the future, zelensky said 42 was coming from the Dutch alone but they said we didn't agree on an actual figure,

NATO and the US went HiTech, Ukraine and Russia are fighting an analogue war using pretty much last centurys equipment and strategies, yes they both have drone but for most part they are fighting Artillery duels and small scale infantry battles ,

There will have to be a rethink when it comes to the supports ,there is several year waits for new equipment when it's paid for in advance by governments ,one of the companies that produces tanks along side rhemimenthal can only produce a maximum of 50 new tanks a year, and they said they haven't seen any new orders, air defence systems are the same the Newest systems are built to custom orders , nobody has warehouses full of launchers and missiles, were rapidly approaching year three of this war and still haven't been able to get the equipment and weapons to Ukraine in any great numbers, they need more air defence systems more than anything especially with now it's winter to protect vital infrastructure, we've seen Russia is getting drones and missiles through,but they still don't have the ability to protect against Air attacks on the front lines ,

If they can't get them all of the equipment they need then they need to put boots on the ground and finish this ,

This is FIFA they can sanction teams and associations ,it won't look good but they are well known for corruption, it's not as it we will see our senior team quality for major tournaments ,I don't see it being anything but tokenism especially once there is money involved and Players wanting to get noticed by clubs ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Could you please elaborate on your source of this information that you describe as fact that because of the raid by Ukraine "the whole force was captured or killed" and that the information released by Ukraine about the same raid that stated that their force had now returned from Crimea and had been involved in a battle with russian forces that suffered significant losses is as you claim "propaganda".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You’re advocating NATO put boots on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭amandstu

I am holding mine.I think this is the second time this has been asked.

There must be a reason the claim was made.Perhaps it was a good reason.

What @Gatling was the source?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

It can be almost guaranteed that it'll be Russian in origin. I saw on Suchomimus' youtube channel that Russian propogandists were handed their Kremlin script to say that the lot had been killed. Ukraine actually did admit that there were losses on their side but failed to say how many. As @Jinglejangle69 said I wouldn't hold my breath. He's clearly been instructed not to get into his usual style of arguing that up is down. Doesn't stop him from posting the usual scutter as though it were fact though.

The last time Ukranian special forces destroyed a radar installation and an S400 system. Which likely led to a submarine, a landing ship, a dry dock and the Black sea fleet HQ(incl probably Sokolov and his retinue) in Sevastapol being barbequed by Stormshadows. Lets see if this operation is followed by similar strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

To put into proper context they said the bottom of the barrel can now be seen as in stocks are half full. So it's a warning sign but they probably aren't going to run out anytime soon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

In this one, he's not wrong. Should Ukraine's supplies run out before Russia's, a conquering of Ukraine is possible.

Should that happen, the West has a binary choice: Accept a Russian- absorbed Ukraine on the border, or clear the Russians out themselves. Thus far, they haven't had to make that choice: Ukraine still fights so they have had no need to make higher risk decisions.

I don't think it's a case of half full ,I suspect it's a lot a more serious than that,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

reminds me of the saying that ‘ if you have a reputation for getting up early you can step in bed all day’ . I wonder did any country measure to decibel level , vibrations created that would indicate that an N bomb was actually tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 anonymouscactus

All we really know re: stocks is that uncertainty about stocks is a permitted part of the public discourse. There are obvious reasons why you would want there to be uncertainty about stock levels, but mostly it keeps the Russians guessing (and cynics might say ensures gov money for weapons contracts). I honestly don't believe the situation is as bad as some think. There may even be an element of 'appearing weak when you are strong' about it.

NATO doesn't make claims like this ever,this isn't some kind of trick aimed at the Russians or as part of public discourse,

• Can't see any Western government having the strength of their convictions to escalate to this level. Remember when Putin went "boo!" and rattled his nuclear sabre at the start of the war? Option 3 therefore is a possibility, Ukraine has to negotiate a peace with Russia. Currently unpalatable I know, but I can't see NATO unity (NATO can only act if all members agree) holding if a direct West v Russia confrontation should come about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I don't see NATO entering the fray, not a hope. If it was a realistic possibility Russia wouldn't have attacked in the first place and NATO would have responded in February of 2022.

I would be cynical about the claims that stock is running low. If it genuinely was I think there is no way it would be said. It's very likely politics at play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

More likely footballers will play against Russia and say they're doing it to promote peace. Same way they wear rainbow flags playing in Europe then sell their souls to Saudi Arabia and mutter vague things about respecting other cultures and using engagement to promote human rights. The obscene sums of money have nothing to do with it, oh no.

International sport is very corrupt now, sadly. For Ukraine's sake let's hope international politicians don't go the same way in 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

It's still a warning sign and a worrying statement. Note how even the "Russia will run out of ammo in 2 weeks and defences will collapse like cards" brigade here have gone very quiet recently. There's a notable shift in public messaging and perceptions are important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

One Russian soldier recently reported that the UA artillery barrages were awesome. In one attack they fired artillery for 24 hours before they attacked using ground forces.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

If it was politics it wouldn't have been made public, there's never been an finite supply of weapons and munitions in Europe or NATO for decades there is real interest to ramp up supplies that NATO countries essentially don't want or need were heading to year three of this war and still only a handful of countries in NATO have increased spending to the 2% of gdp spending for NATO,and there is still only a few countries who have a military industry capable of supplying anything,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

That's why I suspect those comments are political, if taken at face value they make the case for great spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

But he didn't make a U-turn,he has supported Ukraine but he's like alot of Americans who don't want to be involved in an endless war ,he pointed out the mistakes of 2014 and yet nearly 10 years later and 3 years into war they are still making mistakes and miscalculations,but then he starts talking about more Americans dieing due to fentenyl at border than Ukrainians are dieing,

He's talking Ukraine out of one side of this mouth while taking about more important things effecting Americans more on a daily basis from the other side of his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

At least 49, including children, killed in a missile strike against a shop/cafe. Russia is a terrorist state.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

No. It's a mobster territory. Terrorists usually have an ideology, or other excuse to hang their barbarism on. Russian mobsters just want to steal things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Utterly horrendous. It could be as high as 300 killed, one estimate is at 600 (!!!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement