Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Starsky1

Who here would just love to quit their jobs today and start training on Monday? 😂 because I would lol

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

Mentally clocked out of my current job when I passed the AC

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭psnaye2023

I’ve had an annual goals review since. “What are your 5 year career goals?” *blue lights opening scene going through my head* “I’d like to progress at the company”

My ambition for development in my current job has been 0 since I passed vetting

😂.

I’m basically the same but I’ll relax properly when I pass my vetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lighthouse666

Can I ask how much sickness in your previous job would impact being offered a role?

If you've had 3 periods of sickness in a year, would this go against being eventually offered a job?

• Advertisement

I’d say if you’re able to provide an explanation for it and there’s nothing serious flagged on your GP forms as a result it shouldn’t. But again its entirely down to individual circumstance.

Has any got any news? 😂😂. Lack of movement or not knowing is awful 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

Nada!

I've done all the remaining stages for a few months now, but haven't received any information on passing vetting. Have many from fast track received vetting clearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 random202201

I haven’t heard back from vetting yet too…hopefully we hear something soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Zoo234

My vetting passed around a month ago. Remember to check your junk mail as that's where mine sat for a few days.

• Advertisement

what sort of Merit list bracket were you? I was 100-120

Top 50. Although I assume it's just luck of the draw how quick the vetting goes through 🤷

Top 50. Although I assume it's maybe just luck of the draw how quick the vetting goes through 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

I’d say it will be a while yet.

i was talking to recruitment about this just the other day.

Ah ok, fair enough. You are ahead of me which would explain that

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Anonymous4321

I saw online that the Fire Service have just launched a recruitment campaign. I know obviously nothing to do with the police but it’s good to see progress within the public sector and hopefully means the PSNI will follow suit somehow whether it be that they are granted more money or something in efforts to unfreeze this campaign soon.

Also raises the question (and not to take it away from the guys in the fire service) but how the hell can men and woman that have to check under their car everyday and take different routes home and do the job they do not get the same pay as the firefighters.

also fire service personnel don't have to deal with the same level of abuse!

If you take the NITA payment, PSNI is still more.

NIFRS Staring salary = £27178. PSNI starting salary= £26,682 + £3,666 = £30,348.

top scale NIFRS = £36,226 PSNI top scale= £43,032 + £3,666 = £46,698.

For me its the shift pattern that would be most appealing about the fire service. 2 days, 2 night, then 4 off

That £36,226 is when competent… when your probation or training and development ends.

My understanding is that NIFRS probation is 6 months.

Officers have to complete 7 years before they get top end salary.

Does not make sense…

the NIFRS trainee salary is £27,178 whilst you are in the 18 weeks training, then move to 'during development' which is £28,310.... Don't know how long that last but yes, I'm sure you will be on the 36k quicker in the NIFRS than the PSNI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 new2022scs

I went to a try out day at the NIFRS, the fitness is on another level

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

PSNI top scale £43032 plus NITA £3666

Total. £46698

Then (at present) once a year at top rate CRTP kicks in £1224

£47,992.

And that's just existing and being competent.

11k+ more than NIFRS if you choose not to promote....

7 years is a long time to wait for it, when you can get over 36k after 6 months of probation with the Fire & Rescue Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Anonymous4321

Although that is true. I feel like there are a greater number of opportunities to increase your salary by ranking up within the PSNI. For example, after 3 years you can start to climb the ranks or if you are on the fast track programme you will be an Inspector by the time your probation + commitment year are completed which will both come with a salary increase. I don't think opportunities like exist within the fire service and they could find themselves stuck at the same salary for quite a long time. Could be wrong. Also, when granted, the overtime in the police is very good, for example if you are asked to come in and do a shift you weren't scheduled to do and its less than 3 days notice you will get 2x pay. NeeNaw could clarify.

It take 3/4 years to get to competent status in NIFRS

Overtime comes in peaks and troughs.

The same as it would be in any other industry.

At may also be dependent on skills.

NiFRS is attractive if you just want a decently paying job, minimal stress as an overall (obviously there will be times of incredible stress and hardship), decent pension, no threat, paid to be fit, and given the choice of a 4/4 shift pattern the amount of time off is incredible when you take you leave into consideration you'd only work 5 months of the year. Wouldn'treally be over time compared to the Police but plenty of firemen have trade's or 2nd jobs. Sleep all night shift unless something comes in. But in the words of several firefighters I know it's A LOT of boredom.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭georgie1305

Exactly that, I'm interested in the fire service, but there are far more opportunities and interesting paths that can be taken in the PSNI in comparison.

The 7 years is only if you decide to stay at constable.

I know many that decide to go Sgt after 3 or 4 years. Which shoots you straight up to 40k+, then plus NITA and CRTP etc. (Oh, and Overtime)

Or, as already said, fast track, which goes beyond to 60k after 2 or 3 years as inspector.

The one benefit i see with NIFRS is the fact that you can live a normal and open life, without fear for your personal security.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ynwa22

Anyone else's medical expire recently and had to fill in form to declare no changes in circumstances.

At the point now not sure I'm even going to accept the job when the call eventually comes been through a long home office application been vetted etc and given start date in less time than this **** show lol

@ynwa22 haven’t had that yet! Is it a simple nothings changed form?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ynwa22

Yeah literally just signing to confirm nothings changed and dating

Advertisement