Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Ferguson off at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hasn't managed more than 45 minutes since his hat trick a month ago. A bit of a worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ferguson will be fine . Still only 18 and was not 100% lately through illness.

He ain't going score or play well everyday.

It’s the continuous lingering knee injury he’s been carrying for over a month now that I’m worried about. Seemed it was something he had even before the Newcastle game, but it got aggravated further then. He’s very young to be playing through this sort of injury, would much rather they let him fully heal instead of trying to manage it with these 45 minutes appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Szmodics playing CF today against Leicester and scores his sixth league goal. Makes him the top Irish scorer and third overall in the league. Andy Moran starts again and this time playing centrally behind Szmodics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Moran dropping deeper and having a great start to the game. Certainly has an eye for a pass.

Yeah two good passes to get Sigurdsson in behind. Was let down earlier when he won the ball back in midfield and put Blackburn on the counter but played the ball out wide rather than playing Szmodics in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Szmodics scored again for Blackburn, he's doing very well this season so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Took his chance well. Leicester keeper giving out hospital passes to Winks/gifts to Blackburn. Sammy had a bit to do. He's a good finisher. Strong argument that both should be in next Ireland squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Jake O'Brien with his first start for Lyon today. Unfortunately they are 2-0 down at Reims with minutes to go.

• Advertisement

Troy Parrott on the bench again for Excelsior. Surely he'd be fit enough to be starting now surely?

Garcia MacNulty also starting again today in the Eredivise for Zwolle.

Ebosele starts for Udinese against Genoa.

That's fair point and would agree. I think though he also coming back from bug he had.

But more you say more I agree, maybe been best rest for few extra weeks

Came on and scored a last minute winner. The fella he replaced is their top scorer with five goals in seven games. Last season's top goal scorer had six goals I think. Might be fit enough to start but their starting CF has started the season in good form. So might have to bide his time but a last minute winner in derby might get him a start next game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Any idea why Szmodics, isn't making Irish squads ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Scales still getting 90 mins for Celtic which is great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

This is nonsense. He didn’t look “ungainly” or “lacking in pace”. Hence he’s had two 20 million plus transfer moves already. He needs to kick on and still has time to do that. Your “opinion” sounds like hindsight, but it’s still a bit early for hindsight for Nathan Collins.

Cameron Carter-Vickers is due back at the end of this month and hopefully Scales has done enough to prove to Rodgers that he could be the long term partner for CCV at CB.

A win and a good performance against Lazio might do the trick. Was impressive and possibly Celtics best player in the two biggest games so far against Rangers and Feyenoord. Would be harsh to see him dropped once the other CBs are fully fit.

Jake o Brien got 90 minutes yesterday, as did Festy at Udinese. Along with Partotts goal was good day for European lads anyway.

Collins was much better yesterday. Needs be more consistent and get rid those silly mistakes.

It's so refreshing to see our lads play on the Continent. Long may it continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I'm selling my 2 season tickets for the Greece game on October 13th. Excellent seats, 4 rows back from the pitch, block 106. Selling for €40 each and ideally looking to sell the two together. Send a DM if interested!

Idah back on the bench again for Norwich tonight. I'm still of the opinion he needs a move. Rarely does he seem to be given an extended run in the team. Only 4 starts this season, and only completed the 90 minutes once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

Its a pity that Murphy fella tgat plays for Newcastle isnt eligible for Ireland. He came off the bench tonight v PSG. Didnt do much imo but hes a local fella apparently whose getting to play champions league with his boyhood team.

Yeah, most annoying is that he's been behind different people. I had kinda felt that it was fair enough to be behind Pukki, and he just had to bide his time - but then Pukki moves on and they bring in Ashley Barnes and Ui-jo Hwang, and it seems now Idah's behind both of them instead. Just get the feeling they're never gonna give him the top spot.

Not sure Idah is up to a change either. Still young but his work rate is not great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I find it a bit odd that anyone would be calling for him to move at the current moment. It's his best start to a season and he is very much in contention for regular starts and involvement. And as you suggested, I don't know where he would go.

I wouldn't take much significance in him not starting a midweek game. The Championship is a long slog and with his injury record it seems like astute management.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

He has started the last 3 games from the bench that is despite the likes of Sargent and Barnes being injured. It is indeed his best start to a season yet despite that he isn't getting a run of games. At this point in his career if he isn't starting regularly at Norwich, given the circumstances, then he should be seeking a move if he isn't going to be given assurances that he'll be starting 30+ games a season.

Will miss James.

A great attitude to the game and contributor to the cause for Ireland over several years. Off the field a great advocate for social justice and never afraid to articulate his opinions. A very good player for Ireland and always willing to give 100 percent during what unfortunately recently have been lean times.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,806 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Could never understand the axe that many seem to bear against him. I'll be sorry to see him retire personally, although it was fairly inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I think he was a limited player who worked extremely hard to get the best out of his ability. However, he has been on the wane physically for a number of years now, and yet continued to be picked for Ireland. Which is not a criticism of him, as he was never going to refuse to play.

However, I think his continued selection in the first XI over the past 4-5 years is an indictment on both the management, and also the lack of investment in coaching in Ireland for so lon which meant we've had years whether no decent players were coming through..

Still no Szmodics or Azaz

I think there were some who didn't like his politics which was disgraceful because his politics re the poppy and all that nonsense was 100 percent spot on.

There was a tweet where he wore a balaclava in a joke type thing which was used against him but in general everything he said re the politics of the abusive and abused poppyfest etc. was absolutely correct and it was an indictment on modern British society that he got flak for that.

I'm not sure why you always feel the need to bring up the political conversation around McClean when people are discussing his football abilities?

Good to see Scales earn a recall but how Szmodics (6G, 1A), Azaz (2G, 1A) and Moran (4G, 3A) are overlooked in favour of McGrath (2G, 0A) and Johnston (0 appearances) is puzzling.

Why shouldn’t it be brought up. Should we just ignore the intolerance of his reasonable views. When he’s interviewed on English TV or on the Late Late Show recently on RTE he’s asked about it, why wouldn’t it be referred to here as he is retiring from international football after 11 years and over 100 caps.

It was in the context of a poster above saying some people under appreciated McClean, and I think part of that was because of his political views which some in Ireland just were of the view that he should conform because he was getting paid to play in England etc. So I think it was relevant to that context.

• Advertisement

It is not relevant to a discussion about his football ability. It's a completely misleading thing to bring up.

Put in some good performances in the '18 WC qualifiers. A campaign which we fucked away with MON getting too cautious mid way through after a good start with that win away in Austria. Which James McClean scored our only goal in and again in the other biggest win away to Wales.

It's relevant to the comment above I was referring to.

The post from Francie, which you are referring to, makes no reference to anything political or poppy related.

Since our campaign is already dead, I kinda hope we give Ferguson very little time - maybe two brief bench appearances or something.

I'm increasingly uncomfortable about the way his knee injury is being managed, not being given proper time to heal up. He's making appearances most games (today included), but hasn't managed more than 45 minutes since before the last international window. I know he's important to Brighton, but he's so young... that's the age some of these sorts of issues can leave real lasting problems if not fully sorted out early. There's so much talent there, would hate to have his ceiling limited by early impatience.

• Advertisement

We've very little hope without him. Hopefully his knee is fine and they are just easing him back into playing.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ferguson is pulled out of the upcoming Ireland games given that they are dead rubbers.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ferguson is pulled out of the upcoming Ireland games given that they are dead rubbers.

Yeah, could definitely see that happening. It's an injury that he's had for quite a while apparently - long before he exacerbated it in the Newcastle game over a month ago - so just makes me very nervous...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Brighton have plenty of options and he is a huge asset to them financially so if they are worried about that they can rest him. We should play him if passed fit.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭budgemook

Just noticed McClean wasn't selected for next couple of games - has his retirement come early? He'll surely be selected next time for a last run out against New Zealand?

Will definitely play in the friendly. I'd say his announcement probably came on the back of a conversation with Kenny, and phasing out. It might even be why he's not included - given that we're out of contention, and know he's no longer going to be an option, it's better to use other people from now on in the remaining dead rubbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,232 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Ogbene should of had an assist. Great play by him

Liam Scales in the starting line up for Celtic today at home v Kilmarnock keeps his place at left sided cb as Carter Vickers returns to the starting lineup.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement