Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living beside the Dart line - noise impact on life quality

Options
  • 09-12-2020 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi. I'm looking at places to rent and have found what looks like a nice place at reasonable rent in the Dalkey area. However, it back onto the metals and the dart can be heard at a reasonable level inside the house. Is this something you can get used to living with, or does it lower your quality of life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

qb123 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm looking at places to rent and have found what looks like a nice place at reasonable rent in the Dalkey area. However, it back onto the metals and the dart can be heard at a reasonable level inside the house. Is this something you can get used to living with, or does it lower your quality of life?

You get used to it fast. I live in an estate where it passes I can only hear it some days when I’m out of the house ( about 100m from the house )

However I’ve friends here where it passes their back garden and it’s elevated a bit.( about 10m from kitchen window ) When I first had lunch in their house I heard it every time. However they were oblivious to it as it became background noise to turn

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Thanks. I'd say it's about 15m from back window to the line. Not elevated, but sunk in the metals which mutes it a bit. Still noticeable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

You get used to it very quickly, unless there's a section where it screeches. I lived beside a goods yard in Hannover which went 24/7 moving VW Transporters, got used to it after a week. Also lived in Hounslow under Heathrow flight path, never noticed anything unless Concorde came over.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

I lived beside the metals before in a basement flat with crappy wooden windows. We were the last house and like you about 15m from dart line. Didn’t notice it after a while I noticed the diesels as they’re heavier but they didn’t bother me.

Thanks - really appreciate the responses. Would be interested to know of people who've had a negative experience if there's any out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Another positive here
    Used to live in North Strand and the railway line ran past the back of the house on an elevated track

Stopped noticing it after a couple of days and it never woke me after the first couple of nights

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

my wife's parents live in bayview, track elevated at the back of their garden, prob 15m from the house.
    Everytime i went there I noticed every train, they absolutely didn't. get used to it fast

my wife's parent live in bayview, track elevated at the back of their garden, prob 15m from the house.
    Everytime i went there I noticed every train, they absolutely didn't. get used to it fast

They must be my friends neighbours..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I have relatives living west of London, about two houses away from the Great Western Railway, a six track section of mixed mainline and local services. You literally stop hearing trains after about 3 days, and they come at a rate of up to 30 an hour, 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

I owned a house 100 m through a woods from a commuter train that only passed by three times a day. I actually enjoyed seeing it the first 7 years I lived there. Then one time there was a problem and the train stayed still on the track for 4 days straight, behind my house, with the deisel engine running the whole time.

Between the noise, the vibration shaking the windows and everything on the shelves, and 4 days of the smell of deisel fuel permeating everything, I never recovered my equanimity for the train and sold the house 6 months later.

I was super sensitive to noise and oil smells for a couple years after that and I moved to the country where I have nothing and no one within 250m of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Was beside it myself, at 1st it's weird after a while you don't notice until a freight train passes or the steam train.... Loved the sound would get up to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Lived beside DART track for a while. Its grand as long as it is just DARTs. I got used to it really quick and the house was nearly on top of the line.

Also lived beside the Belfast line which was a headwreck because of the diesel trains especially with freight. So much louder.

Thanks for all the replies, generally reassuring. It's the dart line, so a few diesels every day on Rosslare-Connolly route, think there's also one freight train in the middle of the night.

@ guitarhappy: sounds like that was quite a traumatic experience. However, I think that's unlikely to happen on the dart line so will probably take my chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Thanks for all the replies, generally reassuring. It's the dart line, so a few diesels every day on Rosslare-Connolly route, think there's also one freight train in the middle of the night.

@ guitarhappy: sounds like that was quite a traumatic experience. However, I think that's unlikely to happen on the dart line so will probably take my chances.
    Freight train will probably be a 071 diesel which, although really cool, is really loud especially in the middle of the night.

I currently live 500 meters from a train line with trees and loads of houses in between and I can still hear the freight train on a still night. Faintly of course, it doesn't wake me up, but if I lived right beside the train line it would, as I alluded to previously.

I’ve never heard or seen a freight train on the line. See a steam train every now and then. Mainly DART with a few diesel /electrics

Not sure, but had thought there was one from a plant in Arklow. Remember it from years back, so maybe it doesn't go anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are no freight ops on that line currently nor any likely as Rosslare doesn't take containers and the fertiliser plant is long gone.

When my parents moved away from living beside a train line they found it hard to sleep for wees due to *not* hearing the trains at night. This was an entirely diesel line with plenty of overnight freight back then. That's how used to it you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Not sure, but had thought there was one from a plant in Arklow. Remember it from years back, so maybe it doesn't go anymore.

The 'ammonia train'. Used to hear it every night about 3am as a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Its fine. I live in Monkstown and I would prefer to look at the advantages of having it so close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Absolutely zero impact from personal experience living beside the DART line for a year when they were a lot louder and then behind a shunting yard with diesels for a long time on the Docks. There's something about rail noise that's intrusive and slightly rhythmic. The type of noise that would ease a baby to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Alexarmon

I want to check

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

< >

Post edited by Larbre34 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Posting in a three year old thread, to reply to the original poster, with an anecdote you forgot you already posted in the thread three years ago. 😂

Advertisement