Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

If it’s a new build it’s gonna be easier to set it up correctly. And any issues with the setup are not gonna show as much as the heating bills will be very low anyway.

if your a plumber and you retrofit a heat-pump; and you set it up to be as efficient as it possible can be; it’s very likely that your gonna get call backs. It’s not different to oil and gas boilers; plumbers just turn up the boiler stat to 80C and it looks like they did an amazing job; and they never get called back.

the problem as you say with the “don’t touch it all” approach is that it’s very unlikely that a plumber; even one that is trying really hard to do a good job; will get the thing configured well first attempt. It might take a 2nd or even 3rd attempt at tweaking the settings to get it working well.

consider someone gets a heatpump installed in June; the heating isn’t even gonna come on for several months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

I have a new build, last winter was first in the house, heat pump was coming on all last winter in middle of the night, full tilt by itself with no call for heat. Was told not to touch anything in settings, eventually daikin technical lead last march got me to to go into installer settings with 100s of different codes on the screen, think it was 2-06 code had 1 beside it and should have been zero, apparently a few units left the factory with this enabled and it should have been 2-06 0, disabled. This was deep in installer settings so if you think something is off keep questioning it. Changed my dhw schedule for warmest part of the day which had been set to 6 am and 7pm, i now have it 2pm once a day and does me fine. Loads of things i have found to alter and this winter low and slow heat and setback overnight im going to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭deezell

As these things move into their life cycle, I'd be curious to know how much on average people have to spend on servicing and repairs, compared to oil or gas. Not cheap I bet, like the crazy service bills for electric cars I read about, and that's not including repairs to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

11 year old Hitachi Monoblock A2W heat pump on my house. Repair cost to date: zero. Service cost to date: zero.

Any problems that ive had have been on the water side and due to new tech/old plumber mainly. subsequently i clean the water filter ever year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Oh I know, these services on electric cars.. 90k km and my last service was €160, including a set of wipers.

• Advertisement

Thats good to hear about that 11 year old heat pump. Looking through the installer settings on the new generation, no wonder they're not set up right.

€160, dear set of wipers, as that would be the only part replaced. 90km, 54k miles, have you had new tyres yet? Did you have to get 'special' ones,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

UFh in the house and no rads it really is a very comfortable way to have the house the same temp and not to hop out of the shower on a winters morning and not get that cold bust of air. For new houses its a no brainer to have a heat pump/ufh. Backward thinking to not install it in new house as you dont need any heating anyway from april and still haven't switched it on yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pmccarthy2505

Can anyone recommend someone in the Kerry / Munster area that will service a Nilan heat pump for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

The plumber should expect to come back 2 or 3 times in that case. In lots of cases they are charging around 20 grand for a major capital expenditure in someone's home that should last 20-25 years, take some pride in their work - its professional, and it will pay off when the economy tanks and people still recommend them. I suspect with a bit of experience and effort, and accurate assessment of homes requirements, call backs could be limited substantially.

😎

I was told in a conversation in the pub last night about a long ago scheme that grant aided double glazed windows, I don't recall it funny enough, but it resulted in a splurge of expensive, badly fitted and appalling quality junk being installed by pop up operators all over the place. The current windows and doors market is tight, competitive, worthwhile, and reasonably affordable, and a great part of their work is.... replacing double glazed rubbish from the 80s. As Albert Reynolds might have said, "That's Grants for ye".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Thats what’s needed but That’s not what plumbers or any tradesperson wants. They want in, job done, gone, never to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Have two fairly similar quotes for an Ecodan system (PUD-SHWM80VAA heat pump and ESHT20D-VM2D 200L indoor unit) and a Samsung system (HHSM-G600008-1 heat pump and HUKH-G6250-L3C 250L indoor unit)

Any advice on which one would be best or are they much of a muchness?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Ecodan in new build for 2 years now, similar to the one you quoted, wouldnt change a thing. Extremely economical once I tweaked the settings for our house.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I have an ecodan for the past year, 4 bed semi.

Do you bother with zones with yours? I have everything set to maintain the same temp, and just to cool slightly at night.

We have 2 zones, upstairs and downstairs, but we dont heat the upstairs as its not needed, so only zone 1 on and zone 2 off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Good to know, I have one zone, and the themostats on all upstairs rads set to the lowest setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

re this

This was always going to happen, when the exaggerated, misleading information and downright falsehoods on renwables, solar, EVs and heatpumps was being lapped up by fanatical green supporters who were being told what they wanted to hear, and not the hard facts.

Cant wait for th next instalment

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Is it best to get an air to water heat pump and hit water tank serviced during winter on a cold day so the engineer can get a good idea of how efficiently it's running? Or can it be serviced any time of year?

Its not the servicing, Its the configuration is key, eg flow temperatures, weather compensation etc. Servicing is just a clean and a check over of the system

I have found they leave it on the dumbest setting so they wont get called back, but this leads to much higher consumption. Ours went from being incredibly power hungry to incredibly efficient once I educated myself on heat pumps and tweaked the settings.

On one hand it's good that you know how it works and now know how to get the best of your system (I suppose with a bit of trial and error)

Other hand you ended up having to learn all that and not all people have the head space for it.

What did you need to change in your settings?

If I get a heatpump I'm almost tempted to do one of the heat geek online courses about it. But that's me and like to know how everything works and the theory behind it.

Are any servicing companies better than others for adjusting the settings to the most efficient?

For me it all came down to flow temp, the lower the flow temp you can use in your ufh/rads the less energy you will use and more efficient it will be. But every house will be different as to how low you can set your flow temp depending on cold bridging, airtightness, solar gain and levels of insulation .

Also the more zones you have with a heat pump the less efficient it will be.

Did you get to a point and found the flow temperature too low and then had to bump it up a little bit?

Did you look at the weather compensation settings too? eg a 0c day is going to need more heat than a 13 c day.

I looked at weather compensation but found the swings in temp in Ireland are moderate so I set the flow temp myself depending on the outside temp.

I had to experiment in the winter to find the range of flow temps I could use, but I never go above 28c flow, and it has to be 0 or below outside for 28c flow temp in my situation.

I usually have it at 26c flow temp and that is my sweet spot, unless its bitter cold out.

• Advertisement

One last question, what was the flow temperature set at as "default"

Advertisement