Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,577 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Some posters have used every issues over the last 4-5 years to predict a house price collapse. Ukraine was, increase in interest rates, COVID, exit of LL's, vacant property tax, vacant site tax effects of Brexit and it would always start in 6 months time.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Villa05

Prices rising during Covid and interest rate increases is much more concerning than having a correction for the same reasons

The economy will eventually pay the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Nah Bass, I think get your kids to buy multiple houses quick... I heard on the grapevine the house prices are going up.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Agreed, similar to "the next 2 weeks is critical to flatten the curve" bullshìt we heard during covid.....

You keep throwing shìt....eventually it will stick.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

If by grapevine you mean "Daft quarterly report" or "CSO figures" then yeah I heard that too...

Might be a little early to wrap up 2023, but we can look back at the "Predicting 2023 Property Prices" thread (random post here)

From the opening poll post we can see the wisdom of crowds (even among the kind of crowds you get on boards.ie). The largest prediction cohort (+ 0-5% price increase) was more than a quarter of all respondents, with nearly 60% of respondents predicting somewhere between -5% to +5% price changes YoY, which I would put in the "fair enough" bracket.

But then of course you have the cranks, AKA herbalplants and the like, confidently predicting 20%+ price drops in 2023. Worth keeping in mind for any posters who want to apply some kind of weighting factor to the quality of advice being dished out here...

• Advertisement

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There is no chance of any falls in house prices.

There is simply so much demand, thanks to rising population, latent demand from people living with parents, and billions of savings on deposit.

Combine massive demand with low supply, result = prices rises.

The higher interest rates have cooled down the price rises, okay, but no falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

irelands Ukrainian population still rising rapidly thanks to the highest dole in the world. Expect similar numbers for non-Ukrainian “refugees”.

Simply cannot see house prices dropping materially. There’s a bit of a soft patch in Dublin now after crazy July-August-early september. Agents calling back, emailing and properties without offers etc despite many people at viewings. I’d expect things to go crazy again new year with salary increases, new AIP’s and desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bluedex

You make great points in your posts. I don't think you should waste your time replying to posters who won't see any sense or logic.

For example, posters who think lots of rental property owners selling up makes no difference to the rental market. There seems to be lots of that thinking out there and I can't get my head around how people can be that naive. It's incredible!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The Government have really been disastrous on housing. A lot of that is due to fear of SF.

If they had introduced incentives for landlords several years ago there would have been a wall of money going into construction. Instead they put in place disincentives and would you believe it, thousands of people got out and the only investors are institutional ones. Crazy, crazy policies. Spineless. And people will vote for SF anyway because they didn't do the right thing and solve the problem.

Things are going to get worse before they get better too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Im now living with my parents until I can buy an apartment. We are sale agreed now for a 3 bed house in Meath. There are tenants in the house though so it all depends what happens with them. Im not of the glass is half full persuasion on this one.

We were renting a room in an old school friends 4 bed house for the last 4 years. He is away in Canada for the last 4 years. There were 2 other couples and a single person in the house with us.

Last year my friend decided that he wanted to sell his house because he said he just couldnt hack it anymore with the other tenants and we all got our notice. I moved into my parents and my gf moved into her parents when we moved out. One of the other couples wouldnt move out so the house isnt even sold yet. They were trying to persuade myself and another couple to stay and not bother moving out and we could drag it out for years. They are the only ones who wont move out though. The rest of us understand where the owner is coming from as we know him.

The other couple are pregnant and looking to buy a starter home now too but like us, having no luck so far.

The single room guy we were sharing with is gone back to his parents house too til he finds somewhere else. He is getting married next year and they will probably emigrate. That was a 4 bed house with 7 people in it. Now its a 4 bed house with 2 people in it who wont move out.

The market right now is just horrible. I cant see it getting any better

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bluedex

Very true. I said it previously but most of the big problems in Ireland, and globally, are simply due to a large amount of people being really stupid. Or too lazy to engage their brain and think. It really boils down to that. I'm not just referring to property markets.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Villa05

The next couple of months could be very telling in the everything bubble. Long bonds have lost more in the last 2 years than sharholders lost in the Gfc of 08/09

Its a bit more complicated than people engaging there brains, it's systemic. Issac Newton lost everything in a bubble.

David McWilliams explains it well on this Tuesdays podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Any date in sight when your friend may be able to regain control of their own property?

And some people wonder why landlords want out of the market.

And people saying a LL selling is a zero sum game accommodation wise

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

It is zero sum one property comes away from the rental market and one property is bought and put back onto the rental market or sold for someone to live in.

No idea. All I do know is they were trying to encourage the rest of us in the house to stay too and at the time they were saying they checked it out with threshold and were told that if we overhold it would be a minimum of 3 years we could stay before finally being made move out. Hopefully since they are on their own they wont be as bold, but its been a good few months now already.

Last I heard, my friend in Canada who is trying to sell the house now cannot buy the house they were sale agreed on over there because they cant get the money from this one and they still have a mortgage on it. I must send him an email and see what the current story is.

Not necessarily, but we have been through all that. :)

Even in this case, a home that housed 7 or 8 irish residents will ultimatley house 0 irish residents, when today's resident population is referenced. (assuming the irish owners decided to move back into the house in ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It is not zero sum - this has been explained to you many times over on this thread alone.

Rentals house more people per unit than an owner occupied house. So landlords selling up and leaving the market means more people are made homeless.

I dont see how it could be zero sum myself. Suppose it depends what way you want to filter your view of the situation to suit your own story.

My filter tells me that 1 property housed 7 people. By the time we all find new places, which will hopefully be sooner rather than later. It will then be 4 other properties housing those same 7 people. One property back on the market. Four taken off the market. To do the same job of housing 7 people. Well technically at the moment its looking like it will take so long that there will be one baby extra and one wife extra by the time.

Maybe that house being sold will again house 7 people, but I doubt it. No landlord would buy it now. He was renting it to us as a favor for €200 per month per person because he wanted to help us out. Now im guessing the rent will be stuck at that as its in an RPZ and no way to increase the rent for a new buyer if they wanted to rent it out.

• Advertisement

How is it not necessarily? where does the property go then? If there is a house that has 7/8 bedrooms then someone who needs those rooms will buy it and do their best to fill them. If the house that has 7/8 people in 2/3 rooms then its not fit for purpose to begin with. Your getting very specific. If a rental property kicks out its tenants they would be foolish not to rent it out again or to sell they would be losing money. If that is the case then a vacant property tax should be slapped on it at a rate that would discourage this practice but usually (it may take time) the property is sold and is either lived in or rented. So one property out of the rental pool and one property either back into the rental pool or pool for buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Not everyone who buys a property comes from the rental market. Anyone who lives at home with parents, people arriving from abroad, people moving out of homeless accommodation into social housing. That's just 3 examples off the top of my head of people who might buy off a landlord who won't be coming from the rental market.

As has been pointed out owner occupied properties have lower levels of occupancy compared to rented. Landlords value income where as once an owner occupier can finance the mortgage they value comfort and don't want their house full of random house mates.

Agreed I never said they will come from the rental market. But do you think that these 7/8 people will live together in perpetuity if not then we need to look at the system and look at the pool of properties available? The fact is if it is a 7 bed house more than likely the buyer will have a need for 7 beds? The fact is its 1 property coming off the rental side and 1 property going back into the rental side or someone is buying it as they have a need like a big family or their parents moving in. Why would you buy a 7 bed gaff if you had no need for it? It may happen but I reckon this would be against the grain especially as prices for 7 beds are a lot more expensive. Also people on here are talking about houses that may have 3/4 rooms rented out so 4 people sharing why in your examples are you not including things like a family of 6 buying it and in this case more people are being housed - people are picking figures to suit the narrative.

if the owners move back into the house, 7 or 8 renters have been tipped out of the property and the 2 people moving in dont live in ireland anyway.

So as far as todays resident population is concerned, 7 or 8 people have been evicted and the house they left has disappeared.

Dissapeared in that it no longer houses anyone currently resident in the country.

Is there evidence that its only 2 people moving in? Is there any evidence that they wont be selling or re-renting? I mean not for nothing but a good way to get over the whole rental cap is to have a room yourself and rent the rooms individually you can charge more than the caps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

You haven't addressed my point about people living a home, coming from abroad, moving out of homeless accommodation. None of these groups are part of the current rental market. So if they buy a house from a landlord there are no housing spaces being freed up. This refutes your point that landlords selling is 0 sum game.

Even in the existing rental market you have a lot of house shares. Say you have 4 people sharing a house. One person moves out and buys a 2 bed sold by a landlord. Let's say this 2 bed held a family (2 adults plus 2 kids). In this situation the number of housing spots is down at least 2(assuming you count a couple as 1).

Even if you replace the single person with a couple until the couple have children the number housed in the 2 bed won't come back up for a few years until the couple have kids. Either way none of this helps the family that are now potentially homeless.

The fact is owner occupied housing had lower levels of occupancy compared to rented accommodation. That's a well established fact.

The homeless accommodation has been freed up. Once again your getting very specific like to counter your analogy what if 4 people move out of the house share and one has enough to buy the 2 bed and all 4 move in and why are you seeing a couple as 1 that's just barmy I suppose if they have 8 kids its still only 1?? a couple is 2 ? and we have a lack of property for buying, renting and for homeless I have never argued otherwise. I am arguing the specific if a house is taken off the rental side as in the tenants are turfed out there is no way of knowing if more or less or the same amount of people are being housed in the house in question afterwards. In some cases it will be more in some it will be less and in some it will remain the same. Another scenario is if a house goes from being an owner occupier to full rental and they decide to slap 10 families in there?

Look the way the system is not helping anyone I completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

You do realise 7 is higher than 2 right? Even if the above only happened 100 times that's a loss of 500 bed spaces from the rental market.

I am talking of all properties not just specific example if the opposite was to happen where someone had a 2 bed and decided to rent it to a large family say 7+ people then there is a gain of the same numbers? You only have to look at primetime to see that this is happening in a large scale here.

• Advertisement

Advertisement