Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Ah brilliant post! Great information there! I actually did the half in Tarmonbarry last year, a last minute decision but a good run for me nonetheless. I don't remember that first uphill you mention but I remember flying down the new main road and then that turn right and what looked and seemed like a climb for miles on end! Think that's when the rain started for me last year but OBVIOUSLY it won't rain this year! 😁 The hospitality was great last year, looking forward to that bit anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Clarecarrick

Week 14

|5km easy| strength training |3km easy|8km easy |Rest |33km LSR | Rest |

Total 49km

Week started out a bit blah following the post half marathon high, my head wasn’t really in the game and while my paces were where they should be and body felt good I just wasn’t feeling it, but this improved as the week went on.

I decided to take on some of the course for this weeks LSR so I went Tallaght, Templeogue, Terenure, Rathgar, Miltown, Roebuck, stillorgan and then made my way back. Was nice to take some of it in. The 33km was easy enough but if I’m honest the thoughts of adding 9km and running the whole thing a minute and a bit faster per km made me feel a bit sick 😂 Definitely the most tired my legs have felt to date, I’m looking forward to the taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

The difference is you won’t be tired and you’ll have lovely fresh legs and be carb loaded etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

And I meant to say, you're putting in a great block of training altogether. Keep it up, you are doing great and you'll have a great day at DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Like a few others mentioned; it was tough to slow back down after the half. Heart rate seems to be lower for slightly faster so all positive.

32.2 km on Saturday. Felt great starting out. I decided to take in some of the marathon route too; more as a distraction than for any sort of practice. Saw a good few people and groups doing similar. About 28 / 29 km it started to get tougher; really just down to legs & feet being sore as opposed to anything aerobic. Finished it up anyway with no major drama; could I have run 10 km more? Maybe if I was really pushed. Could I have run for 20 minutes more? Yes, definitely. So that's the way I'm looking at it; time on feet isn't going to be much longer than what I've done twice now.

Then Sunday night I start to feel a fever coming on. Went to bed early but fever, chills and aches all day Monday. Off work yesterday and today so we'll see how I go. Will ease back into the running when I start to feel better as very fatigued at the moment; hopefully get something decent done at the weekend but don't know about 29 km.

Not ideal but nothing has gone to plan really so being fairly pragmatic about this. Better now than the week of the marathon. And the general internet consensus is that most of the hard training should be in the tank now so getting sick just before the taper shouldn't have much of an impact.

Post edited by Seifer on

• Advertisement

The Runners Diary's latest podcast about the Dublin Marathon is well worth a listen. From about 12 mins onwards.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3OoRmSmbpFlaiBCeiwb9u8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The main thing I learned from this podcast is my knowledge of Dublin's geography is atrocious!

It was good though, I think a re-listen with the course map Infront of me might be in order though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

YouTube link of route

https://youtu.be/CGThEHwsthw?feature=shared

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MECA

This was brilliant.. not from Dublin and a 1st timer so it was really informative. Lots of mentions of hills and drags though 🥹. Thought Dublin was flat 🙄.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

The race seems bloody impossible watching it in videos and that! Hopefully it'll be grand on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Pace it right and it'll be grand. We'll be giving plenty of advice on that subject in the final couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

Sorry for the late update did 22km last weekend on the lsr and about 32k in other easy runs.

I've given up on parkruns for the time being as kept going to fast and would then struggle on my lsr. My 25k 2 weeks ago was a real slog so hoping the 20 miles this weekend will be better. Aerobically and hr wise I feel grand but feet get very sore.

I've a little swelling on one foot this week but no pain when running so hoping it will pass I've just the 8k to do tomorrow before the 20mile lsr. I've a physio appointment for Tuesday to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Hi guys! Sorry for my absence, but getting to post here is an absolute luxury at the moment. Husband's marathon is in 2 weeks and we are just tagging in and out of the house getting our runs done and keeping the house and the small-ies going. Sometimes I feel guilty about it (regarding the kids) but neck deep in it now and enjoying it all (selfishly) 😄. We've also absolutely prioritised our sleep the past week or two and it's made a huge difference to the cumulative fatigue - we are heading to bed at kid's bedtime more or less (8pm thereabouts).

Week 14 update (late)

Did my highest mileage this week, 66.2km, and I assume that's the peak of it, having ticked off the second 20 miler of the plan. Tiredness kicked in for me two days post the half so I ended up taking the Tuesday as a rest day. On Wednesday Storm Agnes put paid to my 13km run (attempted it twice in 2 different locations but it was too dangerous overhead) only got about 3km done. So on Thursday I did my first ever double - lunch and evening - (probably a bad idea as I know not to chase lost miles) and I was tired on Friday's run. Didn't get up mega early for the LSR on Saturday as a result, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway - rain, rain and more rain. I couldn't believe the amount of rain 😆😆😆 . I rang my husband for moral support only 2km in that's how wrecked and stiff I felt but I loosened up shortly after. I had 3 dramatic and traumatic toilet pitstops, I'll say no more, and just found it so tough being soaked to the bone for all of it. I had puddles inside my "rain" jacket at the elbows. I remembered saying at many moments - if I can get through this and do the 32km I can do anything. My watch then died in the 31st km. I couldn't believe it. I just stopped and started flailing my arms in the air - waving my imaginary pitchfork up to an imaginary god, effing and blinding as I did so. I was convinced I lost the data and cursed the technology on my arm. It was like a scene from Castaway. Was about to throw in the towel and then just said to myself, the miles are in your legs and that's all that matters. Keep going you eejit! Pulled my phone out and recorded the rest on Strava app, to capture 2km for the day, at least. When I got home I charged the watch and saw the run was still there, I saved immediately, very thankful but still irritated that my Strava only has one 20 miler recorded and not two (it's an ego thing, I'm working on it 😄). I used 4 gels (used up 2 that I tested and ruled out, and they may have caused some GI issues) and skulled a 500ml bottle of water at Lidl in Naas (really, really can't be arsed carrying water in any form in any medium on my body). People in Naas were staring at me like I was nuts. Character building stuff altogether. Anyway, I survived to tell the tale.

Oh yeh and the royal kick in the sweets was Sunday was only massive weather-wise!

So that's my update from my leaba in the dark, with two snoring kids topping and tailing beside me! Ain't life grand! 🥰😅

Keep her lit, everyone!!!.

@MiniMonstera I love your updates! Well done on your long run on Sat where it appears everything bar the kitchen sink was thrown at you! If you can make it through that you can make it through a marathon! Kudos to yourself and your husband managing both marathon training with the smallies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I'm a bit of a blow in to the group so am not into the swing of leaving a weekly report.

I decided to switch from my garmin plan to the boards plan, as I felt it had more mileage and I was a little concerned the garmin plan had too many shorter runs (lots of variety though) as on my longer runs I was really fading badly for the last third. The legs would just become stiff and be like lead. All in that worked out at 70.7km for the week. Definitely the most I'd run in a week as I think Garmin was closer to 50km.

I'd the opposite experience to @MiniMonstera as I did my LSR on the Sunday. It was warm, sunny and dry. I fancied doing a new route so headed towards the Phoenix Park. I carried a 500ml bottle of water with the hope that would do me. But with the sun and heat, I was sweating buckets. So the water was gone at around 15km and even then I was rationing it to stretch it that far. I got more water at around 20km (my son met me with a few bottles) but I think the damage was done then and I struggled for the rest of it. So, if the big day is a warm one and possibly in all conditions, I'll definitely will be carrying a bottle and refilling/replacing at each water station to sip as I go along. I find having sips every few minutes breaks up the time too which mentally helps get through the 3-4 hours.

Towards the end of the LSR my knee got a bit sore. Since then I've been doing daily exercises to help strengthen. I've done the scheduled runs so far this week but I might take a couple of extra days off running to give it time to recover. I'll keep with the knee exercises and will do some general running strength and conditioning to keep the activity up. I really don't want the knee to get worse and become a problem for the 29th.

Hope you feel better soon. If anything, its probably the best time to get sick before a marathon, plenty of time to recover and your immune system is onhigh alert.

Not getting tired until 28km is so brill, I was tired for the whole thing. You definitely would have had 10km left in you, fair play 😃

The course information was very interesting. I'll definitely be re listening to it with the map in front of me so I can do a pace plan. I'm going out slow and in order to stick to it I need exact limits per km. I have it in my head that I really, really want to enjoy the final 10km. You only do your first marathon once, I keep hearing, and it's so true!

😁😁 I left a ton of info out so as not to second-hand traumatize my fellow Boardsies. I ran in the rain today and it was lovely, only a 5km, no pressure, but I was wondering how the hell did I do the same for 32km in heavier more persistent rain. I think I transcended my body at one point just to get through it! 😆

Yeh the warmth and sun can be just as challenging, in fact more. I find the sun zaps my energy completely. By the way, just as an FYI, I had 750ml Zero tab before I set off on my lsr and the 500ml was at the 16km point. I am all about the water, just not carrying it, if I can get away with it. I'm kind of lucky in that I can knock back a lot in one go and it doesn't give me GI issues to do so. I wouldn't be a sipper at all, it would be too distracting for me to keep remembering. But yeh, water, water, water.

70.7km is great for the week. I wouldn't stress about being tired for the last third of an lsr. You're meant to be tired by then and it's getting through that (mentally as well as physically) that will stand to you on race day 💪🏽

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I downloaded the podcast from 2022 too as a follow up and but accidentally listened to that instead of the 2023 one 😂. The first hour of that one is advice from a variety of people doing the marathon, who were very mixed timed goals and experience. There was a familiar name within the group which I recognised from our strava group. My run ended just when the advice ended so I did not hear the 2022 version of the course information. Today I took in the 2023 version which I found very useful and even though I'm a Dub, I don't know the route at all, and certainly not from the perspective of running 26.2 miles of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great update, well done on getting it all in!

You know there's a way to stitch those two strava runs together to 'legitimise' your 20 miler, right?

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/221258108-Merge-or-Combine-Activities

(Only for the chronically OCD runners among us) 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Can we talk about marathon pace?

I found this calculator

https://vdoto2.com/calculator/

Now if i put in my half marathon time from two weeks ago of 1hr43m it is pretty much spot on for guessing my 5k and 10k times under the "equivalent" tab. But for the marathon distance it says I should manage 3hr 33m. I was planning to go far slower pacing for 3hr 50m.

No idea what to pace it at as all my 32k's so far have been slow slow slow but still draining (especially last saturday in the sideways rain). I did my first marathon last year (still a novice!) and died so bad on the last 10k for a 4hr finish. Kept up the jogging since though and hoping that does not happen again. Would it be brave or stupid to try stick with the 3hr 40m pacers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tried my own time here and same as you it is suggesting a marathon time of 3:36. I am aiming for 3:45/50. My 5k times are faster than those suggested. There are loads of these calculators out there and many will give you different answers. If this is your first marathon or you are inexperienced (like me) I would be erring on the conservative side with your targets. If you have trained for 3:50 to this point go with 3:50. There are plenty things that could go wrong if you change it up now. There are other marathons where you can improve your times in future.

Maybe for an experienced runner at all distances the calcs are accurate but as a novice we need to learn how to run the 26 miles. It is a completely different beast than scaling up a 5k or a half. It is often said a marathon comes in 2 halfs. The first 20 miles and the last 6. The last 6 are more about mental strength, nourishment , water etc. Managing your body. You don't really need to do this at shorter distances

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Yes, that’s me I think. That was good craic taking part in it. A friend listened to the route description while driving the route I remember last year too! I’ve yet to listen to this years route description part. Being injured and not running means I’m missing out on loads of time to listen to podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

Yeah I used that too based on my recent HM time and got a 3:59 time which I would love the "Idea" of. In reality I know I cant do that and Mister Jinx post on the 35 seconds on your HM PB makes alot more sense to me.

I have settled into my marathon pace for the first 20Miles being 6:20 as I know I really struggle as the distance goes on. I will push on for the last 6 miles if i am able or settle back to 6:40.

All the talk of drop out zones made me nervous in the podcast I havent had those in my training runs lol I am thinking they will be so tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Drop out zones are not for people following along on this thread. You will be more than prepared if you have been listening to the mentors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

if anyone doing 3/4 races over the weekend. Make sure you stick to plan and not get caught up in the race. Very easy to do it and race 32km

• Advertisement

I came across this YouTube video which has some good advice in it for marathon pacing. I don't agree with the target time of the calculators (only 10 mins) but the rest of the advice is very sound

Advertisement