Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

Like it or not but Irish country music is very popular outside of Dublin. It would not surprise me if there will be a rise in audience figures for the country special. I respect your opinion but your statement about the people of Monaghan and Tyrone is not very respectful. Is it the people from those two counties or country music in general you do not like? If it's the people I suggest you keep the above comments to yourself. 😡 By the way what's wrong with driving a lorry?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

Think it's normally the highest rated LLS of the year apart from the Toy Show and maybe the Eurovision special so there's obviously a big market for this sort of stuff even if it doesn't float your boat.

It is very popular especially up the North. As I said in my previous post it is more popular outside Dublin and with the younger generation. I have been to see many of the country music artists who normally appear on the special and I have to say for the price of a ticket which I might say is very reasonable between twenty five and thirty euro for about two sometimes three hours with a fifteen minute break.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I could almost suspect you of trolling there Bob.....

What happened you ?

Did the bouncers throw you out of the marquee in Drumlish ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

No need to insult people from Monaghan or Tyrone.

And people who like country music aren't 'slack jawed'.

If everyone just liked the same music it'd be a miserable old place.

Don't get me wrong I'm no fan of most country but some of it is actually good.

Having said all that🥴 I still won't watch the LLS on any platform.

I'd rather listen to Daniel o D on repeat😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I don’t think it’s that popular in large swathes of the country - especially amongst young people. It is however popular in places like Roscommon, Cavan, Longford, Armagh. It’s interesting to note that these are counties where less school leavers go on to attend 3rd level and are seen as economic backwaters (diesel smuggling entrepreneurs not withstanding).

My only exposure to young people liking country music was when I was at a wedding in Castle Leslie and we headed into Monaghan Town the next day trying to find somewhere to eat that wasn’t a chipper or a pub doing carvery. There was a C&W festival on and the town was mobbed with ginger-haired simpletons with bootcut jeans and Jack Jones shirts linked arm-in-arm with some fat-arsed little woman poured into overly tight leather trousers. Lots of fingers in belt loops, leaning against walls, smoking that way where the cigarette is facing in towards your palm, and just a general air of mediocrity and Sunday World reader about the entire thing.

First and only exposure to that subculture.

MOD: INFRACTION ADDED

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just as I thought.

Traumatised by an encounter with locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

Queer Sorts and Rum Coves One Has Met On One's Travels - The Memoirs of Lord Boucher Hayes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I refuse to believe anyone would invite you to a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Executive Producer has moved on after only four weeks. Seems she didn't see eye to eye with PK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Not a great sign

And viewing figures slip sliding away

But we have the country muck special to look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 72,610 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Great, Irish Country Music.

And yes, of course I’ll be tuning in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I really do wish PK well, I like him. Did I see that the show wouldn't be live tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes it's one of the pre-recorded shows, easier to run the music side that way and it gives PK a weekend off :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭RoTelly

The irony of TLLS producer arguing that they are trying to make it into a Norton Chat show because of the panel, Norton has said he copied this from TLLS.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

This was to be expected, he would never have kept up above 500k viewer, he'd be luck to keep above 400k TBH. It just the nature, if he starts dipping below 200k then it is not a great sign.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭Gusser09

If the guests continue to be nobodies then its going to keep dipping.

Posters here slating Norton for being pre-recorded, scripted and edited to the last need to realise thats what the majority of people want on a Friday night after a week working. A release. An escape. They dont care if denzel Washington or Tom Hanks know the questions going to be asked.

The majority of potential viewers don't know who Mick Lynch is let alone give a toss about his trade uniin views on a friday night. They don't find the two Johnnies remotely entertaining or care about Vogues life.

Its amazing how the minority can keep TLLS on the go. Its dirt.

I would argue that Norton isn't the strongest anymore. His guests are all usually flocking some hollywood movie.

You are assuming that TLLS over the last number of years always had audience above 400k over the last decade, this isn't the case.

I don't watch TLLS, I have dipped in the first few episodes on PK2 but as I have said its not all that great. There as some good aspects but the guests have been largely weak IMO, PK2 has largely held them up. I think you can have a good relatively unknown conversationalist, but yes you probably need to match them to someone better known.

But I don't think you can say after 3 weeks that nail is in the coffin yet.

If tonight's episode is panned and if the audience isn't there for it then we can start taking decline, but PK2 was taking over not only a declining show but also a declining genre.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Could Garth Brooks be on tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

It’s a little bit of a taboo to say around these parts but Norton’s show has been stale for about ten years.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I never really cared about big guests, Tommy Tiernan chating with some randomer is always far more engaging and interesting than some fancy Hollywood names going through the motions on Norton.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,610 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Buckley and Ragged-Robin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Patrick Kielty to remain in charge of the republic Ireland ladies soccer team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Same with the country and western special.

Some of the lads in here love to imagine that Tom Cruise and “Leo” DiCaprio should be on every week but what the real plain people of Ireland will really be looking forward to is hitchin’ our wagon wheel to the the stars and moseyin’ on down to Mississippa. 🤠

I just hope Kielty is up for the job. He’s been based in London for a long time, he definitely wouldn’t have the same finger on the pulse of the ordinary Tex and Tessy Taxpayer “down the country” as his predecessor.

I booked another movie for my Friday night viewing. I usually give the LLS a quick run through when I get home but tonight it's beddy time for me. I could run of the guest list in five minutes. The same old same old.

I booked another movie for my Friday night viewing. I usually give the LLS a quick run through when I get home but tonight it's beddy time for me. I could run of the guest list in five minutes. The same old same old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Where does the 'Western' bit come into Irish country music? are they all descended from the cowboys and indians

Advertisement