Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

I had played lots of side quests and still have lots uncompleted as well as some of the main quest. So doing NG+ just doesn't make sense because...

I would have to start the side quests again..

I also don't want to go through building outposts and ships all over again. I mean it really is a NG+, you're starting a new game albeit with a twist which is an original approach but by no means a reason to go do the main quest before you do anything else.

But I suppose its only the opinion of a podcast, it's not as if Bethesda are saying do it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I got into outpost building a little bit. I've built a few on different planets in the same system and set them up for mining different resources, all linked together. Then I turned one of them into a main base with a landing pad, a small enough hab with crafting tables, storage, beds etc. The building system feels quite similar to fallout 4. You need power sources for certain things to work like turrets etc. Also got attacked by pirates but the turrets took care of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭feargantae

I'm playing on Cloud so it's always the latest version :(

Anyone else feel there is more to come with outposts? I know the game is designed to play it your way. You could actually play the whole game without a single outpost.

The main purpose would seem to be storage and a way to link resources and crafting tables without having to move things around.

But the way the game is designed to play your way kind of takes away from it. I have some favourite suits and weapons and get through the game shredding enemies with ease. I have no real purpose to upgrade and therefore no real purpose to craft, meaning no real purpose to having an outpost.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the crafting and resource gathering. I just feel it lacks a solid purpose to it, in a way that I feel that there was possibly meant to be more to it but maybe they ran out of time. I wonder could we see some evolution in a cyberpunk kind of way that brings more purpose to crafting and building.

In the end, when all quests are done, it is supposed to be what the game is all about. I thought so before playing it anyway. But I think once the quests are done there won't be enough to bring me back into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Have to agree with the above, I'm about 25 hours in and have no intention of crafting or building outposts. I already have a legendary space suit, helmet and booster pack along with legendary weapons from completing various side quests, not to mention a new spaceship from completing the Mantis quest. I'm probably ready to start the main storyline at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 TouchingVirus85

I'm about 60 hours in and still doing side quests. The last main mission I done was when you pick up the man and his daughter. I had a bit of a brain melt there as there is a side mission where you pick up

another girl and bring her back

to the Lodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I've explored a ton of side missions now, decided to leave off the main quest as I was getting quite close to the end.

Now I'm trying to do things to fill perk requirements, which I do find a bit annoying, like maybe a perk should have 2 tiers but 4 with requirements is just ridiculous. I really want to buy a class C ship but getting the perk is quite time consuming.

I've yet to build an outpost or craft anything but I have done a decent bit of research so have the option of crafting, might do at some point, not sure of the bonuses you can get that way.

Space combat could do with a bit of a re work, it's OK and literally tries to copy elite dangerous but it's functional as is but it could feel better.

Just a reflection on some of the comments I've been seeing regarding the point of certain game systems.

In my opinion, the Normal difficulty mode is far too easy and is basically casual mode. Playing at this difficulty means that you don't really need upgraded gear or ships, you can mostly plow through the game with the Frontier and survive on the gear you find along the way.

However, increasing the difficulty does apply a greater pressure and that is where the other systems come into play.

So I'd recommend playing with the difficulty. The highest (very hard) is too much imo, I think Hard is a good sweet spot.

Finished the main quest last night, created a save just before and also started an NG+.

Reckon I'm done with it for awhile now though, tried the outpost building and some crafting but not really that interested.

I'll grab the save from the gamepass version of the game and use it for the steam version if I ever want to re-visit the game.

7/10 I think is a fair assessmentof the game in its current state, maybe 6.5/10.

What brings it down for me is the disjointed nature of the game world. In fallout/skyrim there's one big map, in this there is no way to get to the other areas without fast travel.

Part of the joy in fallout/skyrim was setting a map marker for a quest then discovering stuff on the way to the quest.

I think I’ve had enough now after 40 ish hours. I haven’t gone near the main quest just doing side quests, random exploring and a bit of outpost building. But the games many issues have finally made me pack it in. Final straw was last night when upgrading my ship for about an hour with the insane UI driving absolutely me nuts.

The more time I spent playing the less I began to enjoy it. Random expiration gets boring pretty quickly. Especially with nowhere to store stuff. The game / game world just feels hollow and so many features are badly implemented or feel unfinished. Companions are just an annoyance. The constant need for fast travelling everywhere is annoying and immersion breaking. I’ve uninstalled to make space for Cyberpunk and it’s expansion which will hopefully itch the rpg scratch off until I move into n to Balders Gate 3 and hopefully we get Elden Ring dlc this year.

I’ll go back and finish Starfield once mods and dlc have made it what should be. Anyone buying I’d say hold off for a year, there are better rpg options out there at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Sounds like a really exciting fun game

not

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭warrior00

It actually has a lot of fun and cool aspects. But it has a lot of annoying aspects and parts that feel half implemented also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I'm still loving it but I'm playing it as a jump in for an hour or two every couple of day sort of game, only doing the first story mission with Sarah now after 20+ hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

The mission where you visit

NASA on EARTH

absolutely blew me away, haven’t been that invested in a long time. It was class. Wish it was earlier in the story, and / or the story was built around it and you got introduced to the settled systems and factions way later.

Game is a time sink, but when it works it works incredibly well.

edit: finally figured out spoiler tags 👍🏻

So I've decided to stop playing finally. I very much enjoyed the experience I had with this game, but I think it could be even better with another year of updates and the DLC. So I might park it for now and come back then.

I'm not interested in what the mods will do, as I've never seen what all the fuss was about them. I tried using them in Skyrim and Fallout 4 and they didn't improve things, gameplay wise, just adding more complexity where it isn't needed. And they make your game less stable. No thanks.

I see the Metacritic score is around 85 and I think that's about what I would score it.

I think there's no doubt there is more to come for this game.

I still have a ton of quests to do and I'm really loving the stories. Bur I've pretty much given up on outpost building. I will be back if/when they come out with more of a reason to invest my time in it. They've got to surely.

I'll be playing this for a long time. It's not a game I'm going to get bored with too easily, as long as I have quests to do.

I'll have Forza, COD and any decent indies that come along to break it up.

Outpost building is almost right. Linking together all of your outposts for resource extraction, collection, delivery to a central hub and manufacturing can all be automated as things stand. It's all there.

What's missing is the end goal. There should be:

1. An automation of the *sale* of your production (perhaps gated behind skills and getting the right crew), with no limit on what you can make, which means:

2. Vendors have no limit on how much they can buy

3. Finally they need to bring a outpost management system into the game. They already had something like this in Fallout 4 with all the DLC. You could manage your settlement from a terminal. This needs to be brought into Starfield and expanded on, so you can control and manage your outposts at a Macro level.

A pure pie in the sky idea would be to have a quest tied to you becoming a wealthy magnate. Setting up your own shipbuilding company or food or drugs or whatever business. So there is an actual story tied to outpost building.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The only Skyrim I used that actually felt like it made a difference was the UI mod which was definitely an improvement. Tried to get a similar mod working Starfield but no luck. I can't get any mods to work for this using Vortex, no idea why.

• Advertisement

Yeah the UI and graphics mods are great, as were the ones that added more weapons and armour.

But the ones that "fixed" the perk system or introduced annoying survival elements did nothing for me, and usually ended up breaking the game.

These are good ideas. The game has insane potential when you think about it, but I guess the scope was so massive and the level of detail required meant they might have liked to but couldn't delay it again so they just made sure it worked and put it out.

I'll grab the save from the gamepass version of the game and use it for the steam version if I ever want to re-visit the game

How do you do this? I was trying to do this for Frostpunk a while back. Played it on GP and then got all the DLC on GOG so wanted to switch over. I couldn't find any definitive guide on it.

I also started Cyberpunk on Xbox but didn't finish it and now want to play liberty city on PC. Also got this via GOG as it was way cheaper on CD Keys.

Seems cybepunk is not available in the MS store, so no chance of getting my saves onto PC. I was thinking Xbox -> PC game pass cloud sync. Then PC game pass -> GOG

Seems it's not a straight forward method for copying saves for all games.

Had another look and see there is a dot exe that can be downloaded, which should just be click and run as it already has a python interpreter included in the exe so no need to have python installed on the PC.

It is an exe from the internet though so up to you. It should just be doing what they python program does

https://github.com/Z1ni/XGP-save-extractor/releases

Just used it there myself, it will extract saves for all gamepass games installed, took about 3 seconds🙂

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

What will the future of this game be? This thread is quiet for a triple A release like this. Player numbers have nose dived on steam and the Starfield subreddit is just people complaining now.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭warrior00

I'm still enjoying it. I even paid the extra to play it early and even played it daily for that week ahead to most players but I don't game all the time which is why I have only put a small bit over 60 hours into it and I have only done about five main story missions as I am still doing side missions and also exploring places. I also have only just joined the UC and found the doctor who was in the cave underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Still enjoying it too, hopping in every day or so and playing a few hours doing mostly side content.

• Advertisement

I played it for 147 hours in September. Which is around 5 hours per night. I usually play video games a few times a week, I don't normally play daily.

The reason I'm not playing Starfield is because I have more important things to do than play video games every day. I needed a break and I'm taking it.

Advertisement